PDA

View Full Version : Salamanders Devestators Heavy Weapons

Glenn87
05-02-2012, 18:49
Hey, I need some help.
I'm building a Salamanders Company (looooong time Project), but I've got no idea wich weapons to give them.

The Devestators entry from the Codex says that Salamanders use alot of Lascannons and Multi-melta's on their Devs. But I notice that most Dev Squads have 3 different weapons, so just giving 2 MM and 2 las is pretty dull.

Anyone got some tips for this?? (I'm building the 2nd company).

TheDoctor
05-02-2012, 21:06
The only 2 different weapons is more of a tabletop perspective, since you can combat squad them and not lose effectiveness in targeting. Games Workshop's official "armies" however, have almost no thought to how the actual rules work.
(Seriously, who would put 2 heavy bolters, a lascannon, and a multi-melta in the same squad)

I would recommend equipping your dev squads with different loadouts between squads. If I were doing this, and since Salamanders have 3 Dev squads per company:

Squad 1: 2 Lascannons, 2 Multi-Meltas
Squad 2: 2 Plasma Cannons, 2 Missile Launchers (or for the truly insane, 4 Plasma Cannons)
Squad 3: either 4 Heavy Bolters, or 2 Heavy Bolters and 2 Multi-Meltas

Lascannons and Multi-meltas cause they are salamanders, Plasma Cannons because they have some of the greatest artificers and close ties with the Mechanicus, and "relatively" few mundane weapons

Glenn87
05-02-2012, 22:09
alright, that's a start, thanks!!

Altough I find it to be a bit too many Plasma Cannons.
I'm thinking of doing squad 1 like this:
2 Lascannons, Multi-Melta, Plasma Cannon.

Thinkering about squad 2 and 3

Dr.Clock
06-02-2012, 04:59
I personally stick to a) 4 MM, or b) 4ML in my dev squads, just to keep them all on the same page target-wise.

10 marines with 4MM are super fun to just camp near centre field in a 'come at me bro' stance. This unit is usually reserved for larger games where the expenditure isn't too ridiculous.

In smaller games, 6 with 4ML is a great utility unit.

I also use sternguard as 'devs' in 5-6 man teams with dual heavy weapons, as they generally cost less than devs... for some odd reason. You can also take the full ten sternguard and combat squad, putting an 'assault' squad with combis in a razor and using the other squad as a dual-heavy support unit. I usually give them plasma-cannons, mostly because they are awesome and, if you get lucky, can seriously neuter those big nasty units before they reach your lines.

From a certain perspective, I understand your desire to build variety into your dev squads... but as has been mentioned, this really doesn't work terrifically well on the table top.

I'd suggest, for the three units of devs, to build 4 ML, 4MM, 2las and 2PC. This way you can swap them around a bit for variety's sake, but also retain the ability to have effective units on the field. This might be complicated by any desires you have to have consistent squad markings... but there's no reason that a combat squad from 2 different squads couldn't take the field as 1 HS selection in a game...

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Deadly Cornbread
06-02-2012, 05:19
As has been stated, each weapon has a purpose.

Missile launchers are a Swiss army knife of anti horde and anti armor. Good for all comer lists.

Heavy bolsters are good anti horde guns. Bunch of shots, good STR and ok AP.

Plasma cannon is used for anti heavy infantry. Think MEQ and high armor saves get slagged. When cover saves weren't so prevalent, these were a go to gun!

Las cannon is good for long range anti armor. No frills.

Multi melta is good for close range anti armor. It's fine for fluff lists or mounted on vehicles. But my personal tastes, I don't care for them on infantry, simply because of it being heavy.

So with your mentioned load out, one of the devs will be wasting their turn of shooting at something they aren't equipped for. A plasma cannon and heavy bolter firing on the same target, one of them is shooting at a not ideal target. Just some food for thought