PDA

View Full Version : The one model/unit who never lets you down

Sexiest_hero
06-02-2012, 10:30
For me it's my doombull. with asf rerollable 2+ and more attacks from every armor save, He's become my 2nd favorite model in all of warhammer (my chaos lord from 40k gets first as he'd been killing for 14 years) He's become a crutch for me and the bane of my playing group. In a game this week end I played a VC player who threw a 80 man unit at him and a ghorgon, needless to say they both hit 10 attacks base and mushed the rest of the VC army. After complaints I've switch his gear up, a flying GW toting, fireball shooting build. An Axe of Men, other tricksters shard build I call the happy lumberjack. And even a crappy everbleed sword build. He's hardly ever let me down, and he's become ind of an icon to the brutal nature of 8th edition. Let's here about that one unit for you.

Metacarpi
06-02-2012, 10:33
I would say that I have two.

My Plague Monks always hit like a tonne of bricks, even if they tend to get a little bit squished after the Plague Banner wears off.

My Hell Pit has also never let me down. Even if he doesn't get stuck into any particularly important combats, he serves to attract a lot of ranged fire and magic, thus allowing the rest of my army to move up in relative safety.

Actually, my Plague Monks do this too, a large unit (generally 44 Monks + Priest, occasionally with Furnace) that can hit pretty hard tends to make a juicy target!

Wesser
06-02-2012, 10:38
For me it's my lvl 4 empire wizard.

Every game I play him I expect him to do very little and explode no later than turn 3. And he never lets me down :)

A little more in the spirit of this thread is my trusty flagellants. Noone takes much shooting these days which used to be their bane, so they invariably hit combat in one piece. In a game where hordes dominate a small 20-man unit often gets ignored...until it hits a flank and destroy 15 Black Guards on the charge..

Dreadlordpaul
06-02-2012, 10:44
For me its my chaos knights with lord and bsb because they always keep my opponent worried about what im going to send them in to

boli
06-02-2012, 10:54
My 5 giant rats and packmaster... I always expect them to die and be wiped out quickly and yup they are :D

Scythe
06-02-2012, 11:30
My Empire lvl 1 metal mage. He always tempts fate when trying to cast with way more dice than he should, but he has never let me down, usually nuking something worth many times his own pts, like a unit Chaos Knights, a monster, a flying character, etc. He also survived a very high amount of miscasts somehow (in a battle I had him irresistible/miscast no less than 3 times, but still survive. He also took down about 800 pts of warriors of chaos on his own that battle).

Urgat
06-02-2012, 11:35
I play goblins. With trolls. There's no such thing as a unit that never lets me down :p I expect them to let me down, all my plans turn around the concept that my troops are going to underperform :p. Well, in fact, from that point of view, I guess that they never let me down, so in fact I change my answer from "none of them" to "all of them" :D

Myrmidon616
06-02-2012, 11:36
My Grave Guard; the bulwark upon which my battle line is centred.

Spider-pope
06-02-2012, 12:08
My 20 strong unit of pink horrors. No matter who or what i face, i can always rely on them to kill something even when faced with terrible odds.
t
Whereas my Bloodthirster always let's me down. For the battlefield personification of the god of war, he fights like a weak kitten. The worst instance was when i faced another Daemon army, led by a Bloodthirster as well. The entire game i was watching my opponents Bloodthirster tear through units and characters, all the while looking at my own and thinking "why the ******* can't you ever do that!?!".

laribold
06-02-2012, 12:11
Since converting a new model for him and getting him painted, my Treeman has been pretty key, giving my WE some much needed backbone. I've even started doing some damage with strangleroot attacks as well!

Marauder_chieftan
06-02-2012, 12:13
Orc Boar Chariot for me. He actually hasn't died yet in a game, he's ran away once. But generally speaking he's always a top performer.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
06-02-2012, 12:14
I'd say my Nurgle Banner of Rage Knights. Even when reduced to low numbers from ranged attacks, they still chew their way through things with impunity.

Zeroth
06-02-2012, 12:41
My Flamer units. Actually my two single fiend units too. Come to think of it my daemonettes with Siren Song also rock my world. My Bloodthirster generally does his job, same goes for my HoK bsb with -2ld banner and his unit of 50 Bloodletters.

T10
06-02-2012, 12:54
Savage Orc Big'Uns with bows.

-T10

Banville
06-02-2012, 12:55
Two Bretonnian Lords that never, ever under-perform to such an extent that my gaming group are starting to slag me off for being a Power Gamer. They argue one of these guys is enough.

The first is the standard HKB build - +3 Attack Sword, HKB - cue much wailing and gnashing of big gribbly teeth.
Second is much sneakier and is absolutely fantastic for wiping out units, even big ones - Questing Vow, Great Weapon, Virtue of Knightly Temper, Dawnstone, Cuirass of Fortune - He only has a 3+ re-rollable armour save in combat and strikes last buuuuut he has four attacks with the great weapon, re-rolls 1's to wound and for each wound he inflicts he gets to make an extra attack. this guy frequently takes out 6 rank and file troops on his own and if I'm lucky will take out 8. This does wonders for combat res. He does die if he comes up against a dedicated combat lord though.

Banville
06-02-2012, 13:01
Also my Dark Elf Lord with Blood Armour and Executioners Axe. Stick him in with a unit of Black Guard with the ASF Banner and you have a guy swinging at I8 with an Axe that re-rolls its first hits and counts its strength as double the toughness of the target. It also does D3 Wounds for each unsaved wound. If you guys think the HKB Brets are bad this guys kills monsters with impunity and in challenges will always get the max overkill as well as butchering monstrous infantry. He is fragile, but hey, he's an elf.

AngelofSorrow
06-02-2012, 13:51
My 40 Bestigors in horde formation. They hold a record of scoring a combat res of 36 fighting off 2 units of 30 long beards and a unit of 25 ironbreakers.

They've never let me down.

Ready for eternal war!

AngelofSorrow
06-02-2012, 13:54
Also my Dark Elf Lord with Blood Armour and Executioners Axe. Stick him in with a unit of Black Guard with the ASF Banner and you have a guy swinging at I8 with an Axe that re-rolls its first hits and counts its strength as double the toughness of the target. It also does D3 Wounds for each unsaved wound. If you guys think the HKB Brets are bad this guys kills monsters with impunity and in challenges will always get the max overkill as well as butchering monstrous infantry. He is fragile, but hey, he's an elf.

My only question here is why do you have the ASF banner on a unit with I6 and is always re-rolling failed hits anyway?

Ready for eternal war!

brother_maynard
06-02-2012, 14:42
because its the only way to get his lord to strike at I8.

Kudzu
06-02-2012, 15:26
My 22+2 with FC Skrox. These guys have never let me down, despite the fact that I throw them at ridiculous things and they only get buffed if they accidentally manage to catch the outer edge of my AOE spells. They've killed bloodthirsters, knights of all shapes and sizes, hydras, giants, minotaurs... and now that they can't be stomped they're even better!

braindead1408
06-02-2012, 15:39
for me its a simple saurus old blood with blade of realities EVERY big monster he fights is dead in one round of combat. he has recently splattered a unit of 3 ogre mournfangs!

BigbyWolf
06-02-2012, 16:59
VC- Before the new book, Konrad von Carstein/ Wight King BSB with Regen banner. A lethal combination which is sadly now defunct, it's just a shame there's nothing you can do to give him a better save these days.

Chaos- Lord of Tzeentch with 6+ Ward item (5 with Mark), Armour of Damnation and Father of Blades. He hasn't died yet, mainly due to his annoying combination of a weapon that makes opponents rolls to hit of "1" hit the opposing model, and armour that makes them reroll succesful hits.

Ironically, both of the above have killed a Bloodthirster. Konrad through sheer brutality, and the Chaos Lord just stood there and watched as the 'thirster cut its own head off.

Happy times.

Chiron
06-02-2012, 17:02
Hellblaster, internet wisdom has shunned it since the old days of it terrifying every opponent so I rarely take it these days, but when I do it always manages to do something useful.

Without it my army is much less effective.

Avalanche
06-02-2012, 17:04
Given I haven't played in a long while and I don't have particularily fond memories of units overperforming, I think my choice is not very easy.
I'd go with the empire cannon. It can easily get its points back from an enemy with a biggie. And who doesn't have biggies nowdays with all those wonderful kits.

Morkash
06-02-2012, 17:06
My Boar chariot, Fist of Gork. I always use it, and recently it single-handedly changed a game from a crushing defeat (for me) to a draw! With 3000 points per side!

Feefait
06-02-2012, 17:09
Kill me, lynch me, burn me in effigy and call me a cheesey trend-follower but Skaven slaves. I have played Skaven for years and years. My army has always been based aorund 2 units of 40 slaves and 2 units of 40 Clanrats. It's not just 8th edition that has made slaves spectacular. They have always over-performed for me. :) I will always include them in any book, any edition and feel confident that they will do their job - to die, and sometimes to something amazing.

meowser
06-02-2012, 17:10
Skweel Gnawtooth, 5 packmasters, 50 Giant Rats. Dies 50% of the time, but stays steadfast long enough and invariably neutralizes something worth much more in points (Minobuses, 40 Gor w Beast Banner)

Daniel36
06-02-2012, 17:14
Glade Guards

If only they had a couple of bulky units to protect them. But they have done some amazing things.

GotrekFan
06-02-2012, 17:49
12 x-bow dwarfs in 2 ranks. No command, no GW but they once received a charge from Settra in flaming chariot and held him long enough for a tree man to walk the 2 foot to rescue them.
They may not kill a lot, but they almost always hold the line...more so than my king led hammerers.

Kuja
06-02-2012, 18:26
The first is the standard HKB build - +3 Attack Sword, HKB - cue much wailing and gnashing of big gribbly teeth.

Sorry Banville, but that build is illegal, a character with the HKB virtue cannot be armed with a magical weapon.

Druchii Monkey
06-02-2012, 18:46
My dark elf assassin with rune of khaine, extra hand weapon, and manbane poison (or killing blow) has never let me down.
So long as i get her into combat she always proves her worth.

Banville
06-02-2012, 19:48
Sorry Banville, but that build is illegal, a character with the HKB virtue cannot be armed with a magical weapon.

Yep he can. New FAQ. This is ne the standard Lord build for Bret armies.

Leogun_91
06-02-2012, 19:51
I'd like one of those. But all my units let me down occasionally.

Kuja
06-02-2012, 20:11

My bad, for some reason I didn't noticed it...

Great news I suppose (al least for me... :p), I will try it ;).

Duke Ramulots
06-02-2012, 20:14
Black orc warboss on a boar with a shield and the battle axe of the last waaagh!!! +d6 strength and attacks in close combat means he crushes anything he fights that isnt another cobat lord. For that I use an orc warboss on a boar with a shield, spear, and the armour of gork. +d3 toughness and inpact hits usually give him the upper hand in combat.

woodster17
06-02-2012, 20:16
Swordmaster/Phoenix Guard/White Lions- take your pick. They are all pretty reliable. Thankfully, playing Dwarfs/HE mainly it's difficult to find units who let you down. When I need some victory points, swordmasters are the guys, as well as longbeards. For my Ogres, the Ironblaster has stepped up more often than not to be honest.

Morax
06-02-2012, 20:16
Stank. Hands down my favorite. I always ties up something big and nasty that I can't kill with the rest of my army. Unit of 40 chosen with screaming banner, favor of the gods, chaos lord on foot and BSB, tied up for 8 combats. End of that game and the stank was still sitting pretty with 9 wounds left.

Gaargod
06-02-2012, 20:54
Used to be, hands down, goblin spear chukkas. 35pts for something that will, no questions asked, earn several times that every game. Those things were silly - I mean, they were only goblins, but you they were goblins in charge of a big freaking flying stick!

Nowadays? Erm, skinks? They generally do whatever you ask of them, which often isn't very much. Except when there's monsters about, and then the skinks get to add another notch to their blowpipe!

Lord Shadowheart
06-02-2012, 21:23
For me, it has to be gnoblars, these things have never failed yet, mainly because their sole purpose in my current army is to pretty much die anyway :D

Druchii Monkey
06-02-2012, 21:34

Crikey, you're right. Heroic killing blow and a magic weapon for Bretonnian lords makes them deadly monster slayers - would love to see what this character can do against a unit of ogres - especially Mournfang cavalry.

dimetri1
06-02-2012, 21:38
My 50 Bloodletter unit.

Demgear
06-02-2012, 21:39
Definitely my doombull or "Doom hound" as I converted a warhound's head instead of a minotaurs head. Minimum of 6 attacks, 1+ Armour save, ramhorn helm, ASF sword, 4++, and I recently used lore of Shadow to fly him behind the enemies' battle line.

dementian
06-02-2012, 22:18
For my skaven the only thing reliable is my slaves. WFT and Hellpit have been notoriously bad for me.

For my OnG Savage Orc big uns with shaman with shrunken head hands down best performer.

Hite
06-02-2012, 22:33
Skaven Warlord w/ Fellblade on a Rat Ogre Bone Breaker.

Tuttivillus
06-02-2012, 22:45
My 30 Greatswords with an Archlector. They always get their job done.

Duke Ramulots
06-02-2012, 22:46
Crikey, you're right. Heroic killing blow and a magic weapon for Bretonnian lords makes them deadly monster slayers - would love to see what this character can do against a unit of ogres - especially Mournfang cavalry.

What he does is kill them all very easy. I rarely take a HKB lord but when I do he earns his points back several times over.

Harwammer
06-02-2012, 23:22
I'm going to be laughed off the internet here but the WoC Daemon Prince rarely disappoints me!

Danny_D14
06-02-2012, 23:36
My generic saurus standard bearer and musician, never have they fled and never have they died and they've faced some of the meanest things this game has to offer! Good ol' Bob the Bearer and Facz'Bangor!

lordfeint
07-02-2012, 00:17
My Runelord w/ RoSpellEating.
The only unit that has ever got my opponent to hurl dice at me.

Also my 16 LB Rangers w/ throwing axes. Opponents forget those axes all the time. Sometimes they don't accomplish a whole lot, but they've never outrightly let me down.

Lebowski
07-02-2012, 00:21
Konrad. he is squishy as hell, but all i want out of him is one round of combat.

My favorite exploit of his was killing a HPA that charged a unit of skellies in one turn.

WarmbloodedLizard
07-02-2012, 00:55
LM:
Slann (and Salamander/skink skirmishers)

OK:
Slaughtermaster (and if I'd play them, I'm sure, Mournfangs would be on this list as well)

Ratbeast
07-02-2012, 02:01
My unit of 20 zombies, every game i take them i win, every game i dont take them i lose, no idea what it is, they cant fight there way out of a wet paper bag, and then dont really do much other then raise and die in droves, but they never seem to let me down, going to have to start taking them every game, my victories will be common i guess lol

brother_maynard
07-02-2012, 03:31
bestigor horde, you wouldn't believe the combats you can throw that unit into and watch it come out on top

theJ
07-02-2012, 06:15
My Swordmaster Standard Bearer. The rest of his unit is usually dead by turn two, but that lil' bugger always keep beating the odds ('cept once - let us never speak of the warpfire incident).

Last game he killed about a dosen skeletons, a varghulf and took the last wound off a vampire lord, making him the last model on the field.

I'm gonna have to name him one of these days...

Banville
07-02-2012, 09:25
[QUOTE=Druchii Monkey;6075514]Crikey, you're right. Heroic killing blow and a magic weapon for Bretonnian lords makes them deadly monster slayers - would love to see what this character can do against a unit of ogres - especially Mournfang cavalry.[/QUOT

Actually, the Dark elf Lord is a better Ogre and Monster killer than the Bret Lord. D3 Wounds for every unsaved wound is lethal.

abdulaapocolyps
07-02-2012, 09:38
Let's see.
For chaos I guess my BSB,the grand betrayer.he sits with my maraurder bus and people always underestimate his killing power. I once ran him into a unit of sword masters and due to a 3+ ward he stood there,on his own,and broke them over 2 rounds.go on my son.
Also one of my lords,Druug Warfiend,is undefeated.I recently paid 20 quid for the oop model that got me into Warhammer about 15 years ago and converted him up,he's never let me down.now its the psychological effect he can have,my mates fear playing when he's about!
My shield dwarf long beards always do me proud and my Rune smith recently killed a tooled up elven combat lord 1on1...love that guy.

abdulaapocolyps
07-02-2012, 09:39
Let's see.
For chaos I guess my BSB,the grand betrayer.he sits with my maraurder bus and people always underestimate his killing power. I once ran him into a unit of sword masters and due to a 3+ ward he stood there,on his own,and broke them over 2 rounds.go on my son.
Also one of my lords,Druug Warfiend,is undefeated.I recently paid 20 quid for the oop model that got me into Warhammer about 15 years ago and converted him up,he's never let me down.now its the psychological effect he can have,my mates fear playing when he's about!
My shield dwarf long beards always do me proud and my Rune smith recently killed a tooled up elven combat lord 1on1...love that guy.

quietus1986
07-02-2012, 13:12
My unit of 60 crypt ghouls even with the nerf they still do it for me every game I play them they do great.

Askari
07-02-2012, 15:13
My Vampire Lord.

Yet to die, and though his damage output has gone down a bit, still scythes down ranks of troops with no issues.

For my Empire, my Halberdiers. For some reason they attract Light magic, which is never dispelled or fails to be cast on them, which results in WS10 I10 ASF 2A Halberdiers in horde formation. No one expects 5pt troops to annihilate Chaos Knights and Black Guard.

Dark Aly
07-02-2012, 15:40
My 30 troll slayers always seem to do well and I love my 10 squig hoppers

dwarfboy
07-02-2012, 16:55
My Grudge Thrower[s], they have been named in the local shop laser guided rocks, and have killed a rediculous amount of monsters, characters, war machines and general troops throughout their career (they actualy made one guy quit warhammer sadly).

madden
07-02-2012, 17:55
My hand bow corsairs for dark elves kill loads and never seem to brake,
Gnoblars they survive and kill more than the bulls WTF.

BEARO
07-02-2012, 18:08
Single model? The Great Eagle.

Single unit? My 30-man block of White Lions.

popisdead
07-02-2012, 20:13
For me it's my doombull. with asf rerollable 2+ and more attacks from every armor save

I was going to say the Doombull blender is mine too.

Why
07-02-2012, 21:57
Great eagles all the way!

For a unit I would say that my 8 man dryad unit always manages to die in a insane suicide mission, to accomplish something that changes the entire game. Once they won combat against 5 ogres and a bruiser BSB and then ran down the unit earning me a nice 500 or so victory points:D