PDA

View Full Version : New to 8th edition: warmachine and warrior priest questions

Arnizipal
06-02-2012, 10:36
Last month I decided to take the pluge and try out WFB 8th edition.
I've played two games now (my greenkins versus Empire) and some questions came up.

In 8th edition the rules for stone throwers seems seriously nerfed (S3 instead of S4, only 1 wound instead of D6 except under the hole).
Am I correct in the assumption that you can take normal armoursaves agaist a stonetrower hit? For bolt throwers the rules specifically mention no armoursaves are allowed. This is not the case for stone throwers as far as I can tell (an neither is it for cannons apparently) but maybe I've overlooked something.

The second question is a bit more complicated. If a Warrior Priest (Initiative 4) in a unit of spearmen (Initiative 3) dies in a challange, does he still confer his hatred rule to them that round?

Thanks for the responses and apologies if I asked soemthing obvious. I'm still finding my way through the mass of new and changed rules...

Kayosiv
06-02-2012, 10:45
Stone throwers are indeed a lower strength, but template hits no longer have partials. Any model covered by even the slightest part of the template is hit. So while it might not kill individual things as easy, it hits many more troops, especially in large blocks.

I'm pretty sure he applies his buffs to the unit at the start of combat and they keep them regardless if he dies or not until the combat is over. However I have nothing to back this up, so hopefully somebody else can be more helpful.

T10
06-02-2012, 12:16
Stone Throwers: I seem to recall that the S9 hit under the hole ignores armour saves. You can probably verify this with your rule book.

Warrior Priest: When the Spearmen get to attack the Warrior Priest is no longer in the unit, thus the Hatred rule is lost.

The Warrior Priest's Initiative probably isn't very relevant, nor the fact that he is in a challenge. What matters is the initiative of the model that killed him...

-T10

Arnizipal
06-02-2012, 13:51
Stone Throwers: I seem to recall that the S9 hit under the hole ignores armour saves. You can probably verify this with your rule book.

None that I could find. Of course the S9 hit comes with a -6 modifier so any armour is useless anyway (same with S10 cannons really). Having the S3 hits ignore armour would have been some saving grace but it seems the stone thrower is just not worth it now.

Warrior Priest: When the Spearmen get to attack the Warrior Priest is no longer in the unit, thus the Hatred rule is lost.

The Warrior Priest's Initiative probably isn't very relevant, nor the fact that he is in a challenge. What matters is the initiative of the model that killed him...
In the old editions we usually fought challenges before the rest of the combat but I can't remember if this was a rule or a house-rule. So if I understand correctly challenges are just fought in initiative order, even if it means one of the two fighters strikes after the entire enemy unit?

T10
06-02-2012, 13:56
The challenge rules do not suggest that the two characters fight in their own space/time pocket, so Initiative order applies.

Count Zero
06-02-2012, 14:41
don't forget the general change to measuring distances in 8th has given all guess weapons a boost, whilst only really helps bolt throwers if you were thinking of firing them close to the maximum range.

Also with the change to partials and the general increase of unit sizes you are more likely to get a hit.

AMWOOD co
06-02-2012, 15:45
None that I could find. Of course the S9 hit comes with a -6 modifier so any armour is useless anyway (same with S10 cannons really). Having the S3 hits ignore armour would have been some saving grace but it seems the stone thrower is just not worth it now.

The purpose of stone throwers has become as an anti-infantry weapon, specifically light infantry. Units of spearmen, goblins, elves, etc should fear them since:
There's no more guessing, it's place the template where you want and roll.
No more 'partials', anything touched by the template is hit (we're talking around two dozen hits with 1 shot).
In a pinch, you can still fire at big things for S9 D6 wounds.

In contrast, Spear Chukkas and Doom Divers are better at killing heavy troops (eg knights) and Bolt Throwers are still decent at killing monsters (S6 D3 wounds).

Count Zero
06-02-2012, 17:19
I'm not sure on the BS values, but if a spear chukka BS is 3 then it's only going to be more accurate than a stone thrower at close range, at long range they are both hitting on 5's, whilst the stone thrower can ignore cover penalties right. that's also not including the possibility of indirect fire either.

T10
06-02-2012, 19:47
If you can find a stone thrower at the same cost as a bolt thrower, you should definetly take the stone thrower.