PDA

View Full Version : Units/models that tend to dissapoint.

Avalanche
06-02-2012, 18:09
Since we have a thread about models that always seem to shine on the tabletop I thought I'd make a thread about the polar opposite.

That one model/unit that you always fielded because you liked the concept/mini too much but always seemed to let you down.

For me it is the demon prince with tendrils of Tzeentch during 7th edition. I always used it because it seems great on paper (throwing all that dice on a gateway and never getting miscasts unless you roll 3 1s) and I am a HoC enthusiast and thus wanted to squeeze as much demonic units in my list. Yet game after game he failed to impress me and I always felt sad about it. I only have on memory of a good performing DP but marked for Nurgle spreading chaos all over my opponent's empire knights. But it was an easy victory any way so I couldn't get too excited about it.

GotrekFan
06-02-2012, 19:00
Hammerers! I only ever take them if I take a king, but they fluff if every time by either killing little/ none or by failing the 1st stubborn Ld10 break test they have to take so they rarely last past a 2nd round of combat.

Kayosiv
06-02-2012, 19:12
Kroxigar. I haven't been able to get them to do their job since they lost strength 7 so many years ago.

Marauder_chieftan
06-02-2012, 19:47
Chaos Knights, they always fail improbably against weak units and dangerous terrain tests. Somehow theres always a 1.

Black Orcs look so cool and have one of my favourite rules for Orcs n' goblins, but they never seem to do any good, and thats never against anything beyond basic core.

Ghremdal
06-02-2012, 21:50
My rock lobba rolled a missfire and got the "destroyed" result in three consecutive battles. He is retired now.

Kalandros
06-02-2012, 22:09
First time I use boar boyz - they fail animosity twice in a row and that gets them charged by knights, I got broken quite easily
Second time - silly level 2 Metal wizard kills 5 out of 10, they panick and never rally.

Lord Shadowheart
06-02-2012, 22:20
Oh where to begin :P

The worst offender at the moment is probably my Ironblaster, this thing regularly fails. In its last outing, before I temporarily retired it from the army, turn 1, it misfires, rolls a 1 killing itself and then killing off 2 out of 5 leadbelchers, panicing them and sending them off the board, it also killed off 3 ironguts. It wouldn't be so bad, but this was the 3rd game in a row that it had done it....

My slaughtermaster is a close 2nd, he regularly fails to cast spells, on his last outing, it took him until turn 4 to finally cast a spell, which he promptly miscast, rolled a 4 and died outright, although said spell did manage to win me the game (trollguts for anyoen who cres).

ArtificerArmour
06-02-2012, 22:20
Bloodcrushers, every single time!

Korraz
06-02-2012, 22:37
Anything with a 2+ Save will die, fullstop. 2+ saves cannot be done.

dimetri1
06-02-2012, 22:41
Ditto on the Bloodcrushers. I quit using them a while ago.... about a year ago. They are glass canons and way over priced.

Demgear
06-02-2012, 22:44
Minotaurs, 55pts minimum and only T4. Failed to get anywhere close to their points back in any game I've played with them!

dementian
06-02-2012, 23:16
My hellpit is notoriously bad for passing his regen saves. Last game I played using 2 HPA against a retarded Teclist they failed 7/8 regen saves.

Edit: Forgot about warpfire thrower. Has not hit a single enemy unit in any of the games I have fielded it, numerous times its destroyed itself, usually running towards my bunker first...

redfury
06-02-2012, 23:19
In the last vc book skeletons,zombies,zombie dragons,combat lords,dire wolves,fell bats and bat swarms. Those last three are still pretty disappointing in the current edition.

gdsora
06-02-2012, 23:20
Scorpions and SSC. Woops, looks like we blew up/scattered far away from every being useful. EVERY GAME

Manling
06-02-2012, 23:28
The steam tank ever since the errata magic just kicks me in the nuts harder

The Low King
06-02-2012, 23:31
My cannons. I have played 10+ games vs dark elves with dual cannons and they havent killed a single hydra...

Tuttivillus
06-02-2012, 23:51
My Lvl 4 empire wizard. He just can't get his spells right :)

Duke Ramulots
07-02-2012, 00:15
My trolls, somehow they always pass their stupidity tests, get into combat and fluff everything. Yesterday I rolled 8 1's and a 2 for their attacks and then 3 1's for stomps, stupid stunties smashed them that round with all their great axes.

yabbadabba
07-02-2012, 00:19
My entire army I think :D

brother_maynard
07-02-2012, 00:21
over the weekend i had one bloodcrusher get killed by goblin wolf riders and the other got killed by a doomdiver crew in CC.

Duke Ramulots
07-02-2012, 00:28
over the weekend i had one bloodcrusher get killed by goblin wolf riders and the other got killed by a doomdiver crew in CC.

Lol, that must have made your opponents day.

Danny_D14
07-02-2012, 00:32
My Chamo skinks can't seem to do anything except act as amazing fodder in my opponents first turn, I swear in the last 3 games they're done2 wounds in total. I'm gutted as I put a lot of effort in painting and adding conversions pieces on them, too sexy to not use but I fear thats the problem - all looks no substance :-(

Kharn_21
07-02-2012, 00:42
Chaos knights. They never have space to maneuver with proper terrain Gen in a 3k or night game.
Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Sexiest_hero
07-02-2012, 01:06
Black knights, they never work for me, ever.

Rhamag
07-02-2012, 01:16
My Wood Elf Lvl 4 who failed to channel a single power or dispel dice in a total of 23 magic phases. The model is beautiful though so she still gets an outing when the Treeman Ancient needs a rest.

lordfeint
07-02-2012, 01:57
I second Hammerers.
They've done so little for me that they've been permanently replaced by LBs w/ GWs.

Them and my Organ Gun. It usually explodes before it can do anything useful.

quietus1986
07-02-2012, 02:58
My grave guard even with banner of the barrows they seem to under preform 30 of them getting killed in one round or not killing any thing.

Satan
07-02-2012, 03:12
Wild Riders. They always, always disappoint. Can't think of a game where they haven't let me down at every possible moment. And I have 12 of them...

Hicks
07-02-2012, 03:48
Still pretty much a noob, but right now my grudge thrower as never done much. It always misses it's target. Or maybe I should just play less against Ogres and more against armies with swarms.

redfury
07-02-2012, 12:22
I tend to get screwed by the winds of magic more than anything. Skeletons never tend to live up to their expectations and are little more than a tar pit if they fail to cause fear, which makes the screaming banner and a vamp with fear incarnate and dark majesty a waste of points.

abdulaapocolyps
07-02-2012, 12:29
Defo my chaos knights and chosen for chaos...then they mostly face elves...
My grudge thrower also sucks a big fat...well it just sucks.

Havock
07-02-2012, 13:05
Any form of chaos combat hero:

"WS7, 5 attacks. ...1 hit."

SkawtheFalconer
07-02-2012, 13:46
I love my Wardancers, but they're really not worth their points. I nowadays runs them as character killers (unit of 5 with killing blow), but its amazing how often I fail to roll that critical 6 in combat before they're easily wiped out.

Wesser
07-02-2012, 13:48
Empire Outriders

This is partly due to my opponents being scared to death by them after a particular outing where they wiped out literally hundreds of Skaven with some buffed shooting. But despite the number of magic missiles hitting them they've performed abysmally ever since. They just refuse to hit anything....

Dark Aly
07-02-2012, 16:37
flagellents for me, maybe it's because I try and use them like my troll slayers but they always die before achieving anything useful

Druchii Monkey
07-02-2012, 17:53
Crone Hellebron - she can lay down an absolute barrage of destructive high strength attacks - but if there is anything left the other end after this she gets squashed badly. I'd say she's perfect against low wound (two or less) high toughness models but there aren't many of these about and she is really expensive compared to an assassin.

Crovax20
07-02-2012, 17:56
My Liche Priest Hierophant has the tendency to get sucked into the realm of chaos just about every battle. I tried saving him with an earthing rod, but alas to no avail... I'm thinking of making a chaos rift base with just his head and hand sticking out of it.

dwarfboy
07-02-2012, 17:58
Thorek Ironbrow, every time I use him in 8th edition he always blows up rediculously early, have gave up on the anvil altogther now.

madden
07-02-2012, 18:42
My shaggoth I've had him years(10+)and in all that time has killed 6 single wound models out of 100's of battles he fluffs all of his attacks normally brakes and is run down or fails to rally, then there is my scrap launcher(the metal one) such a bŁ&@h to put together so I use it all the time and it kills itself every game on the first shot, but I keep trying it'll work someday.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
07-02-2012, 18:56
I really cannot say anything has disappointed me in my army since 8th edition came out. Maybe I haven't played enough games (under 20) yet, or maybe I'm just really good at rolling dice. Even my Giants fulfill their function spectacularly. Maybe the lack of factions that play cannons in my group has something to do with this.

In truth, it's probably that I play greenskins and don't expect them to do much anyway...so I send three to do the job of one.

Morkash
07-02-2012, 18:59
My Level 4's. Too good to leave them at home and still they constantly miscast. 2 Dimensional Cascades on turn 1 in 13 tournament games. Morkash not amused. :shifty:

kelthrai
07-02-2012, 19:15
my RC dark elves, they never kill more then about 5 idiots

Enigmatik1
07-02-2012, 20:09
My Liche Priest Hierophant has the tendency to get sucked into the realm of chaos just about every battle. I tried saving him with an earthing rod, but alas to no avail... I'm thinking of making a chaos rift base with just his head and hand sticking out of it.

If you do. I demand pics!

For me, it has to be the Warsphinx...only because mine never seem to make it into close combat.

Sqallum
07-02-2012, 20:23
My skelton warriors. 24 were wiped out in one go by 9 Bestigors and a tooled up beastlord... who didn't even roll THAT well. I killed one measly besitgor. He killed 24 skellies. Not amused >:-(
Sqallum

Leogun_91
07-02-2012, 20:26
My marauders, I gave them away after a while, not only because they failed to do anything other than throw themselves on the enemies weapons but because I didn't like them in the first place either.

Gaargod
07-02-2012, 20:32
Salamanders either have a habit of working amazingly, ridiculously well and burning whole swathes of the enemy army away OR deciding to eat their skinks on the turn I line up the single perfect shot of death. Literally, I expect them to screw up the easy shots and roll 10" for the silly shots with nothing better to do.

Same for my saurus hero, thinking about it. He either slices and dices his way through anything (a tooled up Black Orc Warboss amongst his best), or fails utterly.

Oh and saurus cav. They actually roll reasonably well for hitting and strangely well for stupidity, but never ask them to make saves. Of any kind. Ever.

Andy p
07-02-2012, 20:38
My trolls, somehow they always pass their stupidity tests, get into combat and fluff everything. Yesterday I rolled 8 1's and a 2 for their attacks and then 3 1's for stomps, stupid stunties smashed them that round with all their great axes.

Oh yes the poor ole trolls!!

I had a similar problem until I learnt that the best way to use them is to vomit in nearly every situation....this gets gradually more likely to succeed as the troll unit gets bigger. I mean WS 3 will always be a let down vs most troops who arent skaven slaves or goblins, so why not get some automatic hits that dont allow armour saves?

Great vs anything but the aforementioned cheapo, crap infantry like goblins and Daemons who dont have armour usually. I had a great example recently where I got off a fairly long charge with my 6 river trolls, who proceeded to melt a 9 strong unit of knights errant into goo, before breaking them and overrunning into the MAA's, who they then melted as well, seeing as how even with halberds ive still got regen and river troll -1 to hit stink and a guaranteed 6 wounds, (I mean just rolling 2+ to kill is magic), as opposed to only a POSSIBLE 6+ wounds is brilliant, not to mention their LD in the form of the errant's had just gone bye bye.

Ps: Incidentally what are the views on troll vomit? The rules specifically state that any troll who can attack can make a vomit attack instead of their normal ones. It never once mentions anything about being in base to base contact unless ive missed it, but ive had opponents who vehemently defend the idea that trolls cannot vomit unless they are in base contact...thoughts?

brightblade
07-02-2012, 20:55
All I would say is, when a troll wants to vomit it is unlikely anything csn stop him/her.

As to the OP, unit cost/painting effort seems inversely proportional to success on the field of battle. The things I really want to be good are usually the worst. It is only when I assume they are going to be rubbish that they do something good. My fantasy armies are very contrary. So much so I am amazed I still play it. ;)

Mind you, I have a level 2 Orc Shaman with a channeling staff who is just deadly. Especially when I roll foot of gork. Squish, squish, squish went the stinky elves. :D

Duke Ramulots
07-02-2012, 21:04
Ps: Incidentally what are the views on troll vomit? The rules specifically state that any troll who can attack can make a vomit attack instead of their normal ones. It never once mentions anything about being in base to base contact unless ive missed it, but ive had opponents who vehemently defend the idea that trolls cannot vomit unless they are in base contact...thoughts?

I always played that if they can attack, they can vomit. I have had an opponent throw a fit about it before though.

theJ
07-02-2012, 21:10
High Elf Spearmen. It's not an elf army if there's no spears in it, and they look decent enough on paper (if a tad overpriced).

They have never won a single combat in the 20odd games I've included them. EVER.
Mind you, I usually put them up against clanrat or skeleton warrior units roughly their own size - they should win handily.

Salamanders either have a habit of working amazingly, ridiculously well and burning whole swathes of the enemy army away OR deciding to eat their skinks on the turn I line up the single perfect shot of death. Literally, I expect them to screw up the easy shots and roll 10" for the silly shots with nothing better to do.

Same for my saurus hero, thinking about it. He either slices and dices his way through anything (a tooled up Black Orc Warboss amongst his best), or fails utterly.

Oh and saurus cav. They actually roll reasonably well for hitting and strangely well for stupidity, but never ask them to make saves. Of any kind. Ever.

That sounds a lot like my bolt thrower. It doesn't even score any hits in most of my battles, but I still keep it around for those rare moments when it insta-gibs the enemy general on the first turn, from 47" away (did I mention my usual opponent plays vampires? :D)

Why
07-02-2012, 23:04
My wood elf waywatchers. Still haven't killed a single chaos knight.

Enigmatik1
08-02-2012, 00:31
My skelton warriors. 24 were wiped out in one go by 9 Bestigors and a tooled up beastlord... who didn't even roll THAT well. I killed one measly besitgor. He killed 24 skellies. Not amused >:-(
Sqallum

This is actually fairly standard in my circles, hence I don't even bother putting them on the table. How many were in the unit at full strength?

FashaTheDog
08-02-2012, 01:14
These guys.

Doommasters
08-02-2012, 03:33
Nothing comes to mind more than Daemon Princes and to some degree Mino's

the Witch kings regent
08-02-2012, 03:33
i have found no unit in the Dark elf army that is bad. you jsut suck at playing said these units you claim are worthless. they all have a use. just find its nic and RUN IT INTO THE GROUNDS! then your opponet changes ary and you use new unit thats just a fun to try and win with but then get wrecked becuase of it
example: cold one knights. used to through them at enemy mass infantry thinking that they would break them. but no. no i thought them around the edge and crush enemy elite and cavalry. even blood knights (so long as i have the charge)

Morkash
08-02-2012, 08:55
Surely has nothing to do with the fact that the Dark Elves are still, after almost 4 years, considered one of the strongest, borderline on overpowered, armies around? No, no, that would make sense...

On the troll vomit: The O&G Trolls can always vomit, even with their Monstrous Support attacks. The Chaos Trolls for example have stated in their rules that they only can vomit on models in base contact. So it really depends on the book you're using. :)

The bearded one
08-02-2012, 09:03
Anything in my lizardmen army whenever it needs to roll on the miscast table. I think I have rolled more 2-4 (dimensional cascade) results than any other result put together! And about 3/4 of the time the wizard gets sucked into the realm of chaos. My number 2 miscast result is losing D3 levels -.-

I remember a game where my lore of life slann casts throne of vines, miscasts, fails 2+ ToV save, uses cupped hands to burn the miscast away.
Next turn, throne of vines is on again, miscasts on some other spell cast on 2 or 3 dice, fails 2+ ToV save again, loses 3 levels (yay, a lvl1 slann -.- )
Next turn, slann miscasts of a small spell again, fails 2+ ToV save again, rolls dimensional cascade and blows up some templeguard but survives
Slann miscasts a 4th time, fails 2+ ToV save again, rolls dimensional cascade again, blows up some templeguard and finally dies.

Needless to say I had a happy ogre opponent.

I was still winning though, skink on the engine took over while the slann made fireworks.

Djekar
08-02-2012, 09:16
In honesty anything in my WoC army that gets a 3+ ward is doomed to fail. In our circle the dice routinely fail us on a 3+. Now ask me to make a regen save...

For the Orcs and Goblins I would have to say that my black orcs disappoint me the most - beat up by clanrats, bah!

Andy p
08-02-2012, 09:31
Surely has nothing to do with the fact that the Dark Elves are still, after almost 4 years, considered one of the strongest, borderline on overpowered, armies around? No, no, that would make sense...

On the troll vomit: The O&G Trolls can always vomit, even with their Monstrous Support attacks. The Chaos Trolls for example have stated in their rules that they only can vomit on models in base contact. So it really depends on the book you're using. :)

Ah nice, that's what I thought and that explains where the conflict comes from.

vcassano
08-02-2012, 11:21
Any form of chaos combat hero:

"WS7, 5 attacks. ...1 hit."

Heavens magic, Mr. Havock, Heavens magic. It covers the weaknesses of Warriors and yet nobody seems to notice it!

Leogun_91
08-02-2012, 11:52
Heavens magic, Mr. Havock, Heavens magic. It covers the weaknesses of Warriors and yet nobody seems to notice it!It also requires an unmarked wizard lord. Many play themed to a mark (nulling the tactic), some play chaos lords (stopping you from it) or simply considers +1 to casting and wardsaves far superior than having a slightly more useful lore.
It is good for WoC but it's not the only one useful and it's not more powerful than having a 3+ wardsave and +1 casting.

FashaTheDog
08-02-2012, 16:55
Also, vcassano, my Chaos Knights, whose picture has graced this thread of shame, awesome as they look, have tried the whole Harmonic Convergence to not roll 1s and 2s to hit; all it does is cause them re-roll 1s and 2s as more 1s and 2s.

simonbeard
08-02-2012, 18:58
I have a sneaking suspicion that the skaven warp grinder teams fail to perform. Too many dice rolls to make just to see if you don't straight up hand your opponent the dead unit of night runners or gutter runners. I've not tried them, I'm too scared.