PDA

View Full Version : Best armies to convert

DeathGuard420
06-02-2012, 19:38
I want to get peoples opinions on what you think is the best 40k army to convert and why?

Scaryscarymushroom
06-02-2012, 19:49
I used to think that Orks and Tyranids were best because they had lots of good plastic kits and tons of room for oddball custom projects.

With the prevalence of plastic kits today, I no longer think that tyranids are good for converting. Orks are good, but only if you want your completed model to look like a heap of garbage that got bolted together.

I prefer the Grey Knights for converting. More specifically, Inquisitorial henchmen warbands. Inquisitorial henchmen are a blank canvas... they can take a wide array of unique equipment and have lots of different roles to be played, be it psyker, daemonhost, acolyte, weaponsmith, assassin, or crusader.

Excessus
06-02-2012, 20:02
I'd say Chaos...

First of all variety is supported highly in the fluff, and secondly you have a huuuuge number of sets to choose from, loyalists, daemons, csm, fantasy...it all fits! :)

DeathGuard420
06-02-2012, 20:16
indeed i know about chaos, as a lot of my chaos army is converted and i think looks really good and unique, especially seeing as they're death guard they have a lot of variety with guts gore and plague, i tend to use skaven rat tails and spikes etc to add to them

Dryaktylus
06-02-2012, 20:38
Technically all of the armies are best to convert. Some of them usually easy (Tyranids) or usually more skillful (Eldar), cheap (Orks for example) or expensive (anything, even Orks if you like). Some armies are more likely forgive you if you're not an expert with knife and Green Stuff (NOT Eldar), some have more fitting bitz you could use. You could change the position of every member of an Ultramarines tactical squad, add bionics, battlescars, trophies and what else - or just glue some tentacles and heads on Chaos Space Marines.

kabum
06-02-2012, 21:34
Maybe, for me, the most convertible army is orks. Is cheap or expensive as you like and quite easy to add any piece of plastic or metall you have. This does not mean that there are other armies where you can make great conversions (chaos SM, tyranids and SM). All depends on what you like and enjoy. If you enjoy your army you will be more motivated and ready to spend more time doing a creative job.

khaosmarines
07-02-2012, 05:10
CSM as they have the widest diversity in conversion options pretty much ANYTHING goes fluff wise. They can do boj job ork weapons and a like. As well as mutations and daemony things, then theirs all the normal converting, in the form of changing pose etc.

CSM can be whatever you want them to be.

Also to add to this is independent war bands (create your own), etc Which can add to the overall fluffiness of your army.

GrimZAG
07-02-2012, 06:20
Anything that is a plastic kit is usually pretty good for converting.

StormCrow
07-02-2012, 07:11
I would say Orks or Chaos. Orks because you can take plastic kits from any 40k army, any orcs and goblins fantasy kit, or any historical vehicle kit from WWI to present and make it orky with additional plasticard or bits. Chaos on the other hand is harder to make look good as you really need talent as a sculptor, but conversely the only limitation is your imagination which is great.

totgeboren
07-02-2012, 07:45
I would say orks. Just about every model in my army (except some basic boys) have been heavily converted, and all my vehicles are converted, scratch-built or both. Orks are great in that both a novice and a master can convert them and get results that are acceptable to put on the table.

Chaos for example require quite a bit more skill if you don't want your opponent to think "Not cool...".

Nids, Chaos and some parts of the GK codex (the inquisition) come a close second, but they are all much more limited in how you can convert without it looking wrong/bad. As I said, you need a bit more skill for your creations to be playable.

When I convert something, I always try to think "If I was the opponent, would I instantly see that this is a conversion? If yes, I am not done."

Lothlanathorian
07-02-2012, 07:50
I think Chaos and Orks are the best for conversion, but, I also prefer their style. The daemonic bio-mechanics of Chaos, the strapped and bolted together ramshackle Orks. Two styles are very much enjoy converting.

Any army, though, can be 'the best' for it. It's all about personal taste. I, personally, can't wait for the new Chaos Codex in the hopes that I can build a new Chaos force like the one I used to have, where 75% of it was converted to one degree or another.

Also, when we say 'conversion/converted', I am not thinking kitbashing, but, random pieces not specifically from a kit, green-stuff work, etc. More than just switching a Chaos Terminator right arm with a Chaos Terminator Lord right arm.