PDA

View Full Version : roleplaying ideas for young children?

magnificent*
05-06-2005, 03:30
I ocassionally babysit my young relatives in my parents house when there is not much on TV. I have been getting out the roleplaying games and I was thinking they would find it amusing if they were a mage/cleric with a rat familiar that was infected with all sorts of plauges. I could scout out enemy dungeons, poo in the food supply and cast an illusion spell to make it taste nice, half nibble through bowstrings and make them appear intact, glue weapons into scabbards etc.

EVIL INC
05-06-2005, 06:01
Yes, children find that sort of thing very funny. My buddy plays D&D with his wife and kids on a reguler basis. I say go for it. It can seriously help the kids learn things they would normally ignore in school not to mention develope problem solving skills.

theimp
05-06-2005, 08:09
Get a copy of Bunnies & Burrows (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/Bunnies/).

Arnizipal
05-06-2005, 19:29
Have a look here (http://www.blackindustries.com/fanmaterial/wfrp_roleplaying_for_children.asp?range=wfrp) for an article on roleplaying with children.

billr
06-06-2005, 02:32
My kids role play all the time. There's just no dice involved. :D It's cute. Earlier the boy was King Triton and the girl was Ariel.

Archaon
06-06-2005, 05:32
In Germany there's a fun roleplaying game where you play cuddle toys like teddy bears who are alive..it actually is very funny to play a 30cm toy trying to escape the toy factory or the mean child who wants to put you into the washing machine.

But that's about it i would play with small children because most role playing games have a violence aspect with them that i don't want children to experience. But i think children aren't that interested in true roleplaying games..if you have some imagination just make something up from something popular the kids like..be it Shrek, The Lion King, Finding Nemo or some other movie they saw recently and like.

It's not that they will notice the lack of a rules system or some big plot holes :D

The Necron who could
12-03-2006, 22:08
kids have no rpg tastes until they play online
i would suggest d&d though you can make up like instead of dieing they go poof or sumtin

lord_blackfang
12-03-2006, 22:36
Please don't revive threads that have been dead for months!

New Cult King
12-03-2006, 23:18
Well, it's a good discussion point either way.

With movies like Harry Potter, Nanny McPhee and the Chronicles of Narnia, children are being more and more exposed to fantasy archetypes and wanting to become involved. My 12 year old sister is dying for me to run another D&D game so I can teach her to play. She loves hearing the stories I tell about various games I've played in the past.

Roleplaying teaches creativity and maths skills, as well as problem-solving as has been mentioned. I think it's a great learning tool, as well as some serious fun :D

The Necron who could
12-03-2006, 23:37
yep see cult king is right so many fantasy movies will make people play or get creative ect wasnt really reading his post but ................

New Cult King
12-03-2006, 23:43
Well, depending on the age of the child, running a Harry Potter game, or a Warcraft game (if they're a bit older and usually a boy) would be a great way to pass the time.

The Necron who could
12-03-2006, 23:53
yeah i see what you mean

Morathi's Darkest Sin
13-03-2006, 00:11
I'm thinking when my sons are old enough I'd probably start with a toned down Changling the Dreaming game. As in my opinion it's the kind of thing that could capture the imajination of a nine to eleven year old if I avoid the darker side of the game.

The Necron who could
13-03-2006, 02:06
it inevitable , all kids will discover the dark side mwuhahaha mwuhahaha but seriousley once they figure out the version you run is a candy coat of the real deal theyll a) want the whole deal or b) find something else to do