PDA

View Full Version : 3k Daemons - First army since 6th Ed, need advice

poogle
06-02-2012, 23:12
Hi :)

I'll be joining the next run of my local WFB league in March, but having not actually played since 6th edition I thought I could use some advice on my list. Its one list for the whole league, with opponents covering every army except empire and dark elves. By the time I get all the models in I might only get 1 practice game, if that, so any advice would be good. Here it is:

Bloodthirster w. Obsdian Armour, Immortal Fury, Firestorm Blade

Herald of Khorne w. Great Standard of Sundering, Obsidian Armour

Herald of Khorne w. Obsidian Armour

Herald of Tzeentch w. Disc, Master of Sorcery (Beasts), Flames of Tzeentch

Herald of Tzeentch w. Disc, Master of Sorcery (Life), Flames of Tzeentch

Bloodletters x39 w. Icon of Endless Rage

Bloodletters x39 w. Icon of Endless Rage

Bloodcrushers x6

Flamers x6

Is it too many heroes? I wanted access to 2 lores, a combat hero in each block & a BT cos they are beasts, but I don't know if its just too many points on those vs. actual units.

Whats the best equipment for a khorne herald on foot? Obsidian armour seemed good to increase their survivability by a lot, but I wasn't really sure - alternatively are people going to want to punch me in the face for negating magic weapons with 3 characters?.

What about the standard? Looks great on paper, but I'm not sure if it really beats the other options.

Appreciate any advice.

zielonkak
07-02-2012, 00:22
i think you will have trouble because of the lack of units you have....when i play orcs in3k, i have probably 10 plus deployements not counting on heros and warmachines....you will be seriously outnumbered in almost every game you play, other then maybe chaos and ogres. also, your BT will be shot at a lot

Magicafiend
07-02-2012, 16:23
Firestorm blade is really risky on the BT, for 5 points any character can get a 2+ save against flaming and most armies will run one of these now. Also Obsidian armor has fallen out of favor with most lists dropping combat lords for caster lords. I would drop the beasts herald and get another khorne herald on a jugger to make your bloodcrushers hit like a train. Be sure to drop the disc off your remaining tzeentch herald and give him wings instead of flames(flames kinda suck anyways) if you really want him to fly. This way he can still get a 4+ lookout sir as long as he is chilling near an infantry unit >5 models. Standard of sundering is not worth it anymore and drop both obsidian armors for armor of khorne on the heralds. Take a spellbreaker on the BT(and perhaps a second one on the tzeentch herald if you are willing to give up flying). You can't take multiples of the same daemonic icon and without seeing the exact points I feel you are waaaaaaaaaay over 625 in heroes. Also consider taking 2 single fiends to help protect your Bt from cannons. They each have a 60% chance to stop a cannon from hitting him if they are positioned between him and the ball.

HalfBlood
07-02-2012, 22:58
i think you will have trouble because of the lack of units you have....when i play orcs in3k, i have probably 10 plus deployements not counting on heros and warmachines....you will be seriously outnumbered in almost every game you play, other then maybe chaos and ogres. also, your BT will be shot at a lot

Welcome to being a daemon player...

Well im not exactly sure if your allowed to take special characters in your tourney. If you do Fateweaver is where its at, part of being a daemon player is magic exploitation. Fateweaver provides what you need to do pretty broken magic combos like Enfeebling foe + Dwellers (from a herald). Their are more awsome combos like giving your BloodLetter units Bironas Time Warp, or Miasma your enemy units. Unfortunately for daemons, their core is so squishy and weak, you almost always need these buffs/debuffs to make your core actually effective.

Drop Flames of Tz from your Heralds, its a waste of points, not to mention you can always just take scrolls instead... Life(healing/Buffing/Dwellers) and Shadow(pit of shades/debuff spells) is by far the best for your heralds.

When it comes to your General/Lord, If you are unable to take Fateweaver, I would suggest a Keeper of Secrets. The Keeper is probably the best non named Lord that daemons have. A fun combo I do is give him Spirit Swallower (regains a wound every time he does a wound). With his mighty 6 attacks reroll to hit and most likely wound on 2's + a thunder stomp, he can take out most units, if not then he holds a unit in place. I use him in my 2,400 list to hold large enemy units in place. (like the deathstars).

Blood Crushers are cool models, I run a few in my less competitive lists, however 6 Flamers of Tzeentch or 6 flesh hounds do their job 10x better. Note: 1 Crusher is equal to 2 Flamers or 2 Flesh hounds. Take a look at their stats and you will see what I mean.

FAQ: States that The Icon of Endless war counts as a magical banner, therefore you may only have 1 in your list. Its always a must on one of your units.

Heralds of Khrone should be built with Armor of Khorne, Its a far cheaper cost then Obsidian Armor. The main reason you should use Heralds of Khrone is to give the BloodLetters Hatred, they should not really be invested to much points. Note: Heralds of Khorne have 2 wounds, its just as easy to kill a Herald of Khorne with armor of Khorne as it is to kill a Herald with Obsidian Amor except one costs 35 points more. (The magical effect of the Obsidian armor is not worth the extra points.)

With the BsB, Should be equiped with The Great Icon of Despair. This banner makes enemy units take leadership tests at -2. Its very crucial especially when most enemies have to take fear tests. Another great banner (if your going for a cheap banner is the Icone of great Sundering which you have, however the IoD is far supieror).

The best is advice is experience, you will find what works in daemon armies like (Flesh Hounds,Flamers,Bloodletters, Daemonettes, Heralds of Tz,Heralds of Slann, Heralds of Khor, SKulltaker, Keeper, Fateweaver, Masque, [Ocasionally Fiends and Seekers of Slannesh]), then you will find what doesnt work in daemon armies like (Anything Nurgle, Pink Horrors, BloodThirster,Lord of Change, BlueScribs, and Furies).

The Main problem with Daemons of Chaos Lords is the fact that almost all of them have a 5+ ward. Siege weapons slaughter these guys, and its such a shame. Thats why I take Fateweaver. Btw OnG are not in the realm of competition against a daemon player...