PDA

View Full Version : A rule question "Stubborn"

Raveare
07-02-2012, 13:26
Yes i know this is the wrong forum to ask but i hope someone moves it for me. Since i cant post in the rules section.

Me and my friend was playing a game yesterday and we dont agree on a rule about stubborn.

:( 5" from eachother :skull:
:mad:

Lets say my army "the made face" breaks the "blueface unit and he looses with -4"
Can he still use his generals "skull" unmodifed "stubborn" rule to roll for his 8LD or does he still
get the -4.
I cant see how he could claim the stubborn for the breaked unit realy.
In my world and my thinking the unit can use the generals LD of 8 insted of its own 4.

Its hard to explain in pure text but hopfully someone gets it =)

Bootz
07-02-2012, 17:26
I'm no expert and am probably wrong but my understanding is that you can use the generals leadership in this circumstance only. His stubborn ability may be imparted to the unit, but only if he is part of the unit, some characters do have an area of effect stubborn rule, but I believe they are mainly special rules for special characters, not the traditional stubborn rule.

I'm probably horribly wrong, it's been many years since I played Warhammer.

Raveare
07-02-2012, 17:42
I'm no expert and am probably wrong but my understanding is that you can use the generals leadership in this circumstance only. His stubborn ability may be imparted to the unit, but only if he is part of the unit, some characters do have an area of effect stubborn rule, but I believe they are mainly special rules for special characters, not the traditional stubborn rule.

I'm probably horribly wrong, it's been many years since I played Warhammer.

Well atleast i have one on my side now.

simonbeard
08-02-2012, 02:08
I think Bootz has it right. It's on page 54, last paragraph. You can totally use your general's leadership as long as the situation meets the Inspiring Presence qualifications.

Raveare
08-02-2012, 08:45
I think Bootz has it right. It's on page 54, last paragraph. You can totally use your general's leadership as long as the situation meets the Inspiring Presence qualifications.

Yes i know but the question is if he can roll for the generals stubborn.

SteelTitan
08-02-2012, 11:55
No, they can't. Inspiring presence only lets you use the general Ld. It is still modified with the combat result (-4 in this case). Stubborn does not transfer.

God, that would be broken ;D

Raveare
08-02-2012, 12:48
No, they can't. Inspiring presence only lets you use the general Ld. It is still modified with the combat result (-4 in this case). Stubborn does not transfer.

God, that would be broken ;D

Yes it sure would. Do you know a page in the rulebook so i can point it out to him. =)
I cant realy find anything. Neither can he tho. But he reffuse to belive in me.

huitzilopochtli
08-02-2012, 13:18
The inspiring presence rule permits units within 12" of the general to use his ld for leadership tests. It doesn't allow said units to use his special rules. He can't confer stubborn to a unit via inspiring presence. All that should be clear from the inspiring presence rule. I'm afraid I don't have a page number.

Duke_of_Krondor
08-02-2012, 14:13
Right, everyone here has the right of it.

Stubborn is determined by the unit making the test. If a unit is beaten in combat and has stubborn (through ability/item/steadfast) then they test on their leadership value without negatives for CR.

Inspiring presence allows units with 12" of the general (18" if they are on a monster) to use the general's Ld instead of their own. Whilst the general's unit /is/ stubborn, it is not part of his Ld...it's a rule that applies to Ld tests when defeated in combat.

These are two seperate rules that intereact to allow units what are stubborn to test on the general's Ld provided that the unit itself is stubborn and the general is in range. It's pretty clear in the Big Red Bood (or the Little one for that matter) so I'd either show them the rules (USR stubborn, inspiring presence and break tests) or get a staff member at where ever you play your games to tell him....or, if that fails, email GW and show him the clarification.

It'll look something like this :-)....

Does Inpsiring Presence confer stubborn in addition to the general's Ld value?
Ans: No

Good luck. I hope it's just a misunderstanding, or someone has been taught incorrectly, rather than someone being stupid