PDA

View Full Version : Orcs and Goblins - "Beast Master" Army List possible/playable?

AndrewRogue
07-02-2012, 15:02
Hey all (and apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place or inappropriate for Tactics).

I'm attempting to get into Warhammer Fantasy again (started back in 7th, but time and a certain laziness put me off for a while), but I'm back, I'm excited and I'm even looking forward to failing at painting right now.

I had originally been considering an Orcs and Goblins army, because who can resist a good old fashioned WAAAAAAAGH! when they really think about it. The only problem was, at this point especially, I'm not super interested in a huge sea of green and more interested in a somewhat smaller, more elite hoard. This is probably also partly because I love a lot of the animal troops OnG can field: Wolf Riders, Trolls, Squigs, Wyverns and even Boars are growing on me lately.

So I was wondering if an army centralized around this sort of theme would be possible: Da bestest uv da bestest. Da greenskins at da top o' da foodchain. We better den da beasts, and da beasts eat da squishies, so we da best.

Based on everything I've read, it sounds like infantry is a lot more important in 8th, so I'm not sure if this could work conceptually at all.

Any advice/thoughts?

Glenn87
08-02-2012, 07:25
well, you've got 2 very, VERY good units in there.
you could field a Squig Horde (40 Squigs and 15 handlers), and a Troll Horde (18), wich gives you a REALLY good base.

Wolf Riders are great in smaller units (5-6ish) to annoy the crap out of people.

Only Problem is filling out your Core. You need 25% core, and filling it out with just Wolf Riders isn't going to work.
You could add Savage Orcs (altough this will make you having a VERY competitive list, wich might not be as 'fun' anymore), as they fit the beastly feral theme.

Col. Dash
08-02-2012, 12:06
I was considering a similar style list actually. Glenn has the right idea as far as the direction I am looking.
Savage orcs in core along with spider riders.
Special has trolls and savage orc boar boyz(doesnt make much thematic sense to use normal boar boyz)
Mangler squigs/araknorok spiders in rare.
Lord on a wyvern
boss type character on a boar

Might not work but would be fun on the table top I think.

Asuryan's Spear
08-02-2012, 12:59
It may just be personal experience but i just find wolf riders as better value for points than spidey riders

Spiney Norman
08-02-2012, 13:05
It may just be personal experience but i just find wolf riders as better value for points than spidey riders

Generally speaking yes, except if the spidies contain Snagla, ambushing is a neat trick that wolfies can't do.

Col. Dash
08-02-2012, 13:26
And I have 60 spider riders and only 10 wolfies so I tend to use spiders.

Diosamblet
10-02-2012, 01:58
You could try a Southlands waaagh with just forest goblins and savage orcs. Seems to be a popular themed army.

GrandmasterWang
10-02-2012, 04:58
You could field wolf/spider riders for your entire core. With your beasties you'd have a very fast army. The gobbo riders are so cheap you could even horde!! them.

I think it's possible and a lot more practical than in their previous book. I think it'd make for a very fun army

Malorian
10-02-2012, 12:26
I ran a list like this and I went for the spiders with Snagla Gobspit, but that was because I didn't have the wolf riders.

Anyway as has been said trolls and squig hordes are rock hard so you could base the list on them and then add the rest for flavor.

The 25% core can also do well if you load up the front with cheap characters (wolves just add ranks).

The trick is to stay mobile and pick your fights, knocking out key priorities (like war machines) asap.

AndrewRogue
10-02-2012, 14:55
I'm currently working my way through the new OnG Army Book (work has been eating up my time lately), trying to commit the core rules to memory and will have some sample army listing up shortly, but I have a few more specific questions.

1. From what I've gathered, I will definitely need hammer units (ala Troll horde, Squig horde, etc) to be able to handle opposing hammers/deathstars, correct? While multiple small units can be helpful for multi-charges, I'm not going to win sending a few teams of Wolf Riders into an infantry block, right?

2. Warboss on a Wyvern. I love Warbosses on Wyverns. Is this still as (un)viable as it was in previous editions? I'll likely suck it up anyway, but one can hope!

Malorian
10-02-2012, 14:59
2. Warboss on a Wyvern. I love Warbosses on Wyverns. Is this still as (un)viable as it was in previous editions? I'll likely suck it up anyway, but one can hope!

They are better now that a general doesn't need to be on them, can thunderstomp, and are cheaper.

If you do put your general on him make sure to take the charm shield and be VERY careful against shooty armies.

(In my game I took two warbosses on wyverns and as luck had it I was against beastmen :D)

AndrewRogue
06-03-2012, 15:31
So, some general thoughts as I've been working on this concept (assuming 2.4K points, since that seems to be an average).

Starting with the centerpiece of the army being a Squig Hoard and trying to build up around that. Squig Hoard is supported in the center by a couple of smaller buses of Night Goblins (just enough to serve as some road bumps) and some Savage Orcs (another hammer). This set of units serves as the core of the army.

Outside of that, I'm looking towards a lot of support and chaff to bring up the flanks and hit smaller units: a handful of small Wolf Riders units, Mangler Squigs, an Arachnarok one or two units of Boar Riders (Savage?), a Warboss on a Wyvern, a couple Pump Wagons...

Which leaves me with a question or two.

1. Magic... what is the general thought about what I should do regarding magic here? Should I aim for a 4/2, or would it be best to just use mages as support and maybe bring a low level or two around?

2. Can a solid (but slower) "core" of the army with a number of mobile MSU type units work?

3. Should I try to squeeze in some Trolls as well and, if so, in what shape?