PDA

View Full Version : 2500pt Bret List -- Useful? What should I change

teddet
09-02-2012, 18:19
I would love advice on my newest list:

2x Treb.

L4: Life, Silver Mirror, Crown of Command (Horse)

L2 beasts, Dispell Scroll (Horse)

Paladin, Guantlet of the duel, enchanted shield, warrior's bane, virtue of confidence

Paladin, BSB, gold sigil sword (Ini. 10), gromril great helm

Paladin, Wyrmlance, Dragonhelm, Luckstone

Lord, Royal Pegasus, Sword of Swift slaying (ASF), Armour of Agiluf (WS10), Dragonbane Gem (2++ v flaming), potion of speed, and virtue of heroism.

10 KOTR, full command, standard of discipline (with the stubborn hat L4 and the wyrmlance guy)

9 KOTR, full command, flaming banner.

3x pegs with gallant

3x pegs with gallant

16 peasant bowmen with defensive stakes and braziers.

Maybe a bit too tooled up to fight ethereal and regen? I think this should be pretty strong against lots of things though -- relatively fighty and maneuverable, and the Lord should be able to mess people up. Archers will stand in front of trebs if there are cannons (so their portable wall will block the first cannon shot).

meltedwing
10-02-2012, 04:38
I'm curious how much luck you have with putting your lord on a flying mount. Do you walk him on the ground with a cav unit, or do you actually fly him around?

Wesser
10-02-2012, 07:45
Well those magic weapon's will help you against ethereal, but are weighing them down against all other enemies since your chars won't be able to use lances or greatweapons.

You have forgotten that one of your paladins must be bsb.

Also I'd say you only have half the knights you'll need for a battle this size.

As a whole your characters are terribly weak, your knights terribly few and your chances at victory terribly small.

I'd cut most of those magic weapons, 2 of the paladins and one of the mages and put it into more knights

teddet
11-02-2012, 04:20
You have forgotten that one of your paladins must be bsb.

I have a bsb? It's the one with the great helm.

Also I'd say you only have half the knights you'll need for a battle this size.

I will be somewhat limited by the amount of models I have for a bit. But good to know. If I was going to go with more knights though, i think i'd drop the flying lord altogether and have him on horseback. For now I'd like to experiment with a somewhat RAF list.

I'd cut most of those magic weapons, 2 of the paladins and one of the mages and put it into more knights

Maybe I read the bret book wrong, but I think it says they use the lance on the charge, then switch to the magic weapons after? Either way, i tried to choose the weapons well -- the lord has one that will hopefully maximize his hits, giving him the best chance of an HKB. The "duel" character has the cheapest weapon possible to stop him from getting stymied by ethereal characters (and he re-rolls hits and wounds). The bsb and the wormlance could be dropped, but they both have 1+ rerollable saves (or 2+ for the bsb). I think the wyrmlance is useful for flaming hits in the non flaming unit, but wasn't totally sold on it (it IS a cheap weapon though). The ini. 10 sword on the bsb could be dropped though -- I just don't think it (or dropping another magic weapon) would get me much more guys.

samw
12-02-2012, 01:07
Not bad at all, couple of switches I'd recommend.

First, I'd put the Wyrmlance paladin on the pegasus and the Lord on the horse. The lord needs to be in the centre of your line. Plus the pegasus can give the wyrmlance guy the positioning capability to take that perfect shot. A rather cool build for a duelist lord is Virue of Confidence, Gauntlet of the Duel, Morning Star of Fracass, Grail Shield and Potion of Speed. Bang on 100 pts. Drink the potion, hit him, destroy his magic weapon and then watch him ping off you as you whittle him down.

Now, true, taking the lord off thepeg means only on unit of pegasus knight. However, these guys are too good in 8th to be on warmachine duty. That's what yeomen are for. Combine the unit, Full Command and you have a proper grinding block that Brets sorely need.

Lastly, I'd drop the level 2 and your non-wyrmlance paladin and get a unit of 9 Errants with the Errantry Banner. Really packs a punch.