PDA

View Full Version : Light Gorgon transport?

Fizzy
09-02-2012, 21:17
I have been playing alot of games as the Dkok should be played but I do miss one thing. Transport for my common squads. I saw the gorgon and read its rules. I dont play as much apocalypse for it to have a use. But I do play alot of normal games with friends only.

So I would come to think of a light when it comes to rules and points.

Normally it costs 400pts and got 50 capacity and 4 side sponsons and 14 14 and 10 in AV. Also 3 structure points.

I was thinking of removing the structure points, lowering the side armour to 13 and the capacity to 30 and only have 2 side sponsons.

Would you play against that and what would you consider a fair amount in points for it?

Fawful
09-02-2012, 21:45
Well the main advantage of a transport is that you can safely ferry troops to objectives and keep them there. Depending on the weapons in the side sponsons I'd prize it between 120 and 150 points since it has such a large capacity. The rest of the list isn't that strong (if I remember correctly) so it should be fine. I'd also urge you to try out the regular rules as a 400 point is quite a lot of points which can only occupy one objective and it still needs filling. It's not impossible to destroy either way, especially with the amount of anti tank available to most armies and rear armour ten. The model just looks awesome either way :)

Fizzy
10-02-2012, 09:33
I know. Just that people usually dont want to play against such an heavy vehicle in non apoclyptic games :) But thanks for such an honest and quick response :)

I will have 30 guys inside. I dont spam alot of troops in my army. I rather mortar my enemies away. Got about 2000pts at the moment.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
10-02-2012, 09:42
I'm with Fawful on this one. I don't see a problem with you using the rules for it as a superheavy. It's got structure points but it's not super scary. me and my gaming buddies have played the odd game of normal 40k against a Baneblade. That is scary.

Your suggested rules for a Gorgon light sound pretty good too. You'll need to try it out in a couple of games to get the points value right.

ehlijen
10-02-2012, 10:03
The main problem with superheavies in normal sized games is not the power or lack of them, but rather just how many points they concentrate into a single model. Whenever you do that, the power that fewer dice can exert over the outcome of the game increases dramatically. Some people just don't want that and that is a fair position.

That said, I'd cost the OPs suggested vehicle at between 150-175. An AV14/13/10 hull is tough to crack. And it delivers a a potentially powerful squad so I'd cost it similarly to one of the base russes.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
10-02-2012, 10:22
AV14/13/10 sounds good, the same as a normal Russ. If we use that as a base point for the price: Replace the Battle Cannon and hull Heavy Bolter for a transport capacity of 30, which I'd say was an even swap. Then add a pair of Heavy Bolter sponsons. So I'd say that 175pts is fair.

MajorWesJanson
10-02-2012, 13:21
Gorgons are pretty harmless as far as Superheavies are concerned. It is big and strong, but as a transport, it is far less dominating than a Baneblade or other superheavies. But as a Mini-Gorgon, I agree that 175 is about right.

Fizzy
10-02-2012, 14:12
Some really good feedback here :) Many agree on 175pts. I will order one and test it out. Maybe it will show up in my plog. I have painted alot of Dkok but I havent had the energy afterwards to take photos. Still winter here so not that much daylight on a normal day.

Alright I will test it out. I will keep the rule that when you get a hit in the front and get something on the damage chart you can ignore it on a 4+ cause of the thick armour in the front/on the plow.

LonelyPath
10-02-2012, 14:59
AV14/13/10 sounds good, the same as a normal Russ. If we use that as a base point for the price: Replace the Battle Cannon and hull Heavy Bolter for a transport capacity of 30, which I'd say was an even swap. Then add a pair of Heavy Bolter sponsons. So I'd say that 175pts is fair.

I think this is the way to go with it. It's pretty much what I was going to suggest.