PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings 2400pts, Magicky Construct doom

Mozzamanx
09-02-2012, 22:48
I don't really see a great need for either a Prince or a King with the army. I'm not denying that they can be useful, but they only really provide 2 proper benefits- MWBD and Ld9. The Ld is only useful when I've already fouled up, and the WS buff would only be useful on the Chariots. Alternatively, I could just buy another unit of Chariots with the saved points.

I've also given some thought to the list and altered it a touch. I've come to the decision that I have too many spells relative to my Power Dice, and so I'm going to experiment with dropping the Liche Priests in exchange for more Chariots and Necro-Knights. By running with just the HLP as my sole character, I can have 2 units of 4 Chariots along with 2 units of 4 Knights, giving me 4 real hammer units without massively impacting on the ranged output.

Thanks for any comments.

EDIT: I seem to have deleted my own list, instead of quoting it. The list is now written in post 4!

ecwh070
10-02-2012, 06:09
Hiya,

I've recently been looking into starting a Tomb King army and have written the first draft of my list. I'd appreciate some input on it before I start buying models. The goal is to have a solid, competitive list which I can happily take to a tournament without being gimped. I'd therefore prefer it if people were honest and critical about it.

Liche High Priest- Hierophant, L3 Nehekhara, Talisman of Preservation, Power Stone

Liche Priest- L2 Light, Dispel Scroll
Liche Priest- L2 Light

Skeleton Chariots- 3, Standard Bearer
Skeleton Chariots- 3, Standard Bearer
Skeleton Bowmen- 17, Standard Bearer
Skeleton Bowmen- 15
Skeleton Bowmen- 15

Warsphinx- Fiery Roar
Warsphinx- Fiery Roar
Necropolis Knights- 5, Musician

Hierotitan
Casket of Souls
Screaming Skull Catapult
Screaming Skull Catapult

2400pts

Fairly simple in premise, it carries a powerful ranged element to bombard the enemy with bow, catapult, magic missile and the casket. The magic is mostly focused around the Hierotitan allowing Gaze-spam with the Power Stone to blast a well-timed Dessicate or Smiting after the magic defense has gone down.
Meanwhile the Chariots and Necro-Knights form powerful hammer units, working in concert to pin, hold and counter-charge as a trio. The Warsphinxes complete the force with some good old brutality.
While the list lacks any fighting infantry, I am hoping that the multiple hammer units wil be enough to keep the firebase alive for as long as possible.

Potential problems I can see, is that I have wrapped up my General and Hierophant into a single model, and a 4+ Ward will only go so far. However I did not fancy sinking 100+pts into a proper Prince-general when I could just stop him getting killed in the first place. Perhaps I should find the points for a potion of Healing or Toughness?
He also lacks any defences from Miscast (8th ed book be damned!) with my preference for a Power Stone. I wanted the Stone to really allow a pivotal spell to go through, and the Lore of Light lacks the high casting values to make it worthwhile. Is it better to sacrifice a bit of power to protect him?

Finally, the unit sizes of the Chariots and Necroserpents. Is 3 Chariots per unit enough? Similarly, is 5 Serpents too many?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Chariots are glass cannons and should be treated like fire&forget missiles. A Standard on them are giving away free points.
I usually use a musician on my bowmen for swift reform. Standard is pointless since they will die when contacted.
2 warsphinx is nice.. i usually go 3 :p
you could also forgo the powerstone and the hierotitan is a pretty good casting boost. Casket should help you out as well churning 1D3 extra PD.
Stalkers are nice but knights are the sweetness now, though they don't function too well in a grind against infantry. Serpents are good because they can shoot the turn they come out but will be effective against low init troops. Still, rolling on arty dice is a risk of taking potentially taking 5D3 wounds, assuming you get a 3+ and don't misfire on the arty dice. Too much of a gamble for my preference.
one problem i do see with the overall strategy is that your sphinxes will be way in front and there is no way to buff them using your priest. They will eat their way through some infantry blocks but once that line is broken, your list will lack the punch to finish off your opponent.

the concept of my TK list is pretty similar to yours but i have to tell you that our firebase isn't that strong. Hitting on 5+ and wounding most of the time on 5+ or 6s against elite troops will not do much. Recently, i have found myself throwing 5 or 6 dice at COS every turn as it seems to do more dmg then casting smite and hope for those 5+.

Most opponents will reach you in their turn 2 or if you are lucky turn 3. Smarter ones will deplete your archers by shooting and if you are bunkering your priest with your archers, its not a pretty sight when they run out of places to hide. Maybe consider a bunker for your priest using skeletons, to go behind your archer line so that when the lines meet, you can have a turn to run away. They are fragile but they will last a turn (or 2).

Recently, i have also toyed around with a BSB and the results have been pretty good. I felt that you won't have enough dice for your 3rd priest with potentially 7 spells to cast + casket + hierotitan zapping.

zielonkak
11-02-2012, 14:47
kings and princes....??

Mozzamanx
11-02-2012, 15:09
Liche High Priest- Hierophant, L3 Nehekhara, Talisman of Preservation, Power Stone

Skeleton Chariots- 4, Standard Bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame
Skeleton Chariots- 4, Standard Bearer
Skeleton Bowmen- 14, Standard Bearer
Skeleton Bowmen- 12
Skeleton Bowmen- 12

Warsphinx- Fiery Roar
Warsphinx- Fiery Roar
Necropolis Knights- 4
Necropolis Knights- 4

Hierotitan
Casket of Souls
Screaming Skull Catapult
Screaming Skull Catapult

I am also considering replacing a single Knight for L4 on my High Liche, and an extra 5 Bowmen.