PDA

View Full Version : DE 500 point escalation league

genesis873
10-02-2012, 04:42
Hey all! So I'm putting together my first 500 points for an escalation league to 1250 points. I'm wanting to keep costs down so for the first wave I'll have a starter box and a hero, any thoughts would be welcome. (The shades would be conversions from Corsairs)

-----------------
First List:

Sorceress 115
Tome of Furion
Lore of Shadow

18 Spearmen 135
Full Command
Shields

5 Cold One Knights 164
Musician,SB
Gleaming Pennant

5 Shades 85
AHW

-----------------
Second List:

Sorceress 150
Tome of Furion
Lore of Shadow
Lv 2

26 Spearmen 183
Full Command
Shields

9 Shades 153
AHW

-----------------
Third List:
Sorceress 135
Lore of Fire
Lv 2

19 Spearmen 143
Standard, Musician

18 Corsairs 220
Standard, Musician
Sea Serpent Standard

General Notes: I know RxB would probably be better than shades at this point level, but I don`t really want to get another box of warriors for this escalation league so splitting the warriors into spearmen and RxBmen is preferably not an option. The shades would be conversions from the corsairs if I use them. If anyone cares to share there experiences with different lores at small points levels I`m all ears. Occam`s from shadow could easily win the game at the right time, but I imagine just spamming the highest level fireball spell every turn could also be pretty effective.

List 1: Tried to go for variety here, hopefully I haven`t spread myself too thin. CoKs aren`t ideal but I would like a harder hitting unit, though I would be very interested to hear peoples thoughts on them in a small points game like this. (There will be a painting competition for the first 500 points and I think this list would look best)

List 2: Bit more shooting but less hitting power

List 3: Relies on lore of fire for ranged attack, but more rank and file. Less flexible, but more durable.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated! Thanks!

Yvellkan
10-02-2012, 17:40
Hey

Im not sure why you are taking the spearmen at all to be honest, they are barely superior to RxB in cc, and they are less versatile (which in my opinion at this level is most important, if you dont plan on changing your lsit for every battle) and combined with the sorceress they will cause a lot of death at this points total in the magic and shooty phase, also none of these lists has a bunker unit for your sorceress, which to me suggests dead sorceress without the familiar which would allow her to hide behind a hill or sit at the back of a cc unit.

In my opinion, take the sorc with the tome, take a unit of 20 RxB with a musician, 10 corsairs with full command and the serpent banner (whether you take the bows for versatility or the extra hand weapon for 3 attacks each is up to you and your play style) and 5 harpies should be around 500 points, but i dont have my book on me at work so not 100% sure. Drop command from the corsairs till you hit the points total musician first then reaver then SB, the standard makes all the diff.

Hope this helps.

B

Yvellkan
11-02-2012, 08:10
Hi

Ok dont go for another box of warriors just dont take the warriors at all just take 20 RxB with a musician gives you somewhere to bunker that sorceress as at the moment you dont have a good bunker unit. take some corsairs (as many as you can), if you can get to 30 take 2 units 1 of 20 one of 10, but i doubt you will, dont have book on me with full command and serpent banner and some harpies, no one should get two units into combat with you ever at this level and set up. Even when you do eventually get into combat your shooty and magic should have crippled their numbers anyway.

Yvellkan
11-02-2012, 08:12
oops for some reason i posted the same thing twice sorry.

genesis873
12-02-2012, 19:13
Hey thanks for the reply, I appreciate the advice. I was looking at spearmen just to try and increase the model count really. My previous army was skaven so I guess its habit. I've always heard that RxBs weren't great in bigger units but I suppose that at smaller points values they probably hold up better. I didn't think of taking 10 corsairs cause it seems like such a small number, but I guess at 500 points they could still do some decent damage. Thanks again!

Yvellkan
12-02-2012, 22:10
RxB's arent great in massive units, but 20 isnt massive. And you can do quick reform with the musician, which makes them like 5 attacks less in cc than a unit of 20 spearmen, but they should never get into cc anyway.

The corsairs with the banner get 21 attacks with 2 weapons or 16 with HB and should never be in combat unless backed up by harpies. they key to your army is win all combats in the first round which means do a lot of damage fast.

So in essence use magic and RxB's to whittle down numbers, and kill any mages or warmachines with harpies, if none are available then use them to pull their units around so you can get the charge you want. Then smash their units one by one from toughest to weakest, always attack with both harpies and corsairs and try and flank wherever possible. Game over

If things go wrong you still have a unit which is almost as good as the spearmen unit you have got rid of in reserve!

Capt._Jaelinek
13-02-2012, 02:25
I played a number of these small point escalation games. I've noticed that magic is very unreliable and risky. It's a win or lose deal. Especially with miscasts. As you only get a few spells your opponent tends to just throw all his dice at the spell that really hurts him. Shadow is exPensive to cast. Dark isn't that great against T4 opponents. Death is too short range. Fire and Metal seem good candidates. I played a small game with Metal, shades and corsairs against dwarfs. The hex and buff spells were brutal. I imagine fireballs would be good too. Shooting in small games is huge. A unit of 10-14 RxB can hurt a lot. Shades are good too. RxB can fight in a pinch or support a flank charge.

Another thing to consider. In small games every unit matters. You can't afford cheap sacrificial redirectors.

Yvellkan
13-02-2012, 18:49
Another thing to consider. In small games every unit matters. You can't afford cheap sacrificial redirectors.

hence you use harpies for killing WM and flanking

genesis873
13-02-2012, 19:13
Perhaps something like this:

Sorceress 115
Lore of Fire
Lv 1
Tome of Furion

12 RxB 137
Shields
Musician

12 Corsairs 160
Standard, Musician
Sea Serpent Standard

5 Shades 85
Additional Hand Weapons

I think I would rather pay the extra 30 points to upgrade the harpies to shades since they are more versatile and give more shooting and combat punch to the list. I could probably drop them and increase the unit size for the corsairs and RxBs but I'd like to have a fast maneuverable unit.

I think your right Jaelinek, my best chance is to whittle them down as much as possible so fire is probably the best option.

I'll have to playtest the Handbow idea for the corsairs, I like the idea of more shooting, but if thats gonna be the one dedicated fighty unit I should probably make sure it does as much damage as possible in that all important first turn of combat.

Thanks again for the advice!

Yvellkan
13-02-2012, 20:01
if you took the harpies you could make the sorc level 2 though, more spells = more kill imo, but that looks a good list, except you dont need the musician in the corsairs, take a reaver instead, more attacks, take an musician ofor the RxB for quick reform, which is pretty vital.