PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnians - questions, questions

Gallandr
10-02-2012, 21:42
Hello, new the forum I am, though have been following up on it for quite some time.

In fact I don't have that many questions, but perhaps that more will pop up.

Prayer Icon of Quenelles - If I give that to a Paladin on Pegasus, let him join a Pegasus Unit that hasn't prayed in the beginning, and so I use the icon in the first turn. If the Paladin leaves the unit, will both the Pegasus Unit as he keep the blessing, will only one keep it, or will they both loose it?

Flaming attacks - these can be given to the archers. But in general, they cause fear to chariots, cavalry and war beasts. What needs to test - the entire model, or only the mounts, which can also fight off course - and this also in close combat with the archers?

Tnx!

Arctaeus
10-02-2012, 21:54
Regarding the Prayer Icon, the actual rules say that "The bearer and the unit she is with are immediately granted the blessing of the lady". However, thinking about it, only Damsal's and Prohpetess' can be given Arcane Items and they can't join units of Pegasus knights. Therefore, your question deals with a situation that can never happen :)

Regarding flaming attacks, as far as I know only ranged attacks become flaming, not close combat ones. In my last game, my opponent did not say that his peasant archer close combat attacks counted as flaming attacks. And any fear tests caused by flaming arrows are done against the RIDER'S Leadership, not the mount itself. My brother with flaming cannonballs has not made his bretonnian opponent test for fear using the Bretonnian Warhorse Leadership!

Shield of Freedom
10-02-2012, 22:54
The first part is correct. The Paladin can't have that item... nor can a Paladin on a Pegasus (monsterous mount) join a unit of Pegasus Knights (Monsterous Cavalry). The SECOND part though is correct. The rulebook clearly states under "Flaming Attacks" that when a unit is given this rule both it's close combat AND shooting attacks benefit. Concerning cavalry... yes, you always test using the RIDER's Ld.... all other stats you use the BEST stat between the two.

Alcibiades
11-02-2012, 04:28
Just to finish things up (everything above is correct,) if you do have a damsel with the Prayer Icon with a unit, the unit keeps the blessing even after she leaves it. She also keeps the blessing, although cannot grant it again.

AMWOOD co
11-02-2012, 05:19
As far as Fear and Flaming Attacks are concerned, it doesn't matter which attacks (shooting, close combat, or even a magic spell) has Flaming Attacks, the model will cause fear in beats/cavalry/chariots. This is from the General Rulebook FAQ, p7.

Gallandr
11-02-2012, 08:38
Thanks already for the quick replies.

Regarding the paladin joining the pegasus knights, doesn't a MB follow the rules for MC, thus being able to join? I didn't know that they couldn't join, as also characters on mounts can join infantry for example, yes?

So for the flaming attacks, the whole unit takes a test, and if failed both riders and mounts fight with WS 1?

Hell Storm
11-02-2012, 14:14
1) yes a character on a MB becomes a MC, thus able to join. I don't think a MC character can join a non-monstrous unit, though i may be wrong (away from my book atm).

2) yes, one test then everyone is WS1.

Artinam
11-02-2012, 14:59
A character (Flying or not) can never join a unit of Flyers (including monsterous cavalry) So no a Lord or whatever on Pegasus cannot join a unit of Pegasus Knights. There is only one exception, namely Skink chiefs on terradons(including the special character).

Second, the entire model fights with WS1, the model takes the test and the mount isnt specifically listed.

Regarding the Prayer icon, they blessing gained follows all normal rules listed on the Blessing page. You can only ever loose it if a model (maybe even just Knights) refuses a challenge or when fleeing for whatever reason.

AMWOOD co
11-02-2012, 15:03
The real issue with the Pegasus Knights is that the unit is Flying. A unit that has the Flying rule cannot be joined by any character. You can confirm this is the special rules section of your rulebook.

Hell Storm
11-02-2012, 15:41
I completely forgot about the flying restriction. I take back my previous statement.

dementian
11-02-2012, 16:27
Forgive me if I am mistaken but I don't have my rule book with me.

A fear test is taken at the start of each round of close combat and determines the WS of the unit they are fighting in that round of combat. So shooting cavalry with flaming arrows would not cause a fear situation as the cavalry will not be in CC. Only when the cavalry gets into close combat with the archers will they need to take a fear test at the start of each round of close combat.

AMWOOD co
11-02-2012, 18:06
Only when the cavalry gets into close combat with the archers will they need to take a fear test at the start of each round of close combat.

Yes, you are absolutely right. The point of the FAQ is that it doesn't matter if the archers (or anyone else) cause Flaming Attacks in close combat or not, they will still cause fear against cavalry (and certain others).

Gallandr
02-09-2012, 11:05
Hello you all,

I have some more questions, so I figured I might as well post it in the old thread.

* if i have my damsel with knights, and let them flee. They rally the next trn, can she perform magic that turn when rallied?

* my character is immune to flaming attacks. The situation is that shooters with flaming attacks hit him. Does he still ge hit by the arrows, without considering the flaming property, or is he completely immune to the attack?

theunwantedbeing
02-09-2012, 11:48
I have some more questions, so I figured I might as well post it in the old thread.

* if i have my damsel with knights, and let them flee. They rally the next trn, can she perform magic that turn when rallied?

* my character is immune to flaming attacks. The situation is that shooters with flaming attacks hit him. Does he still ge hit by the arrows, without considering the flaming property, or is he completely immune to the attack?

Yes, it's just fleeing wizards that don't get to cast.

Most "immunities" have now been replaced via an Errata by "grants a 2+ ward save", so you are affected by the attack but get a ward save.
If you are somehow immune still, you cannot be harmed by them in the same manner that mundane attacks cannot harm an ethereal model.

Artinam
02-09-2012, 13:59
For the second part, I assume your using the Dragonclaw item that gives immunity to fire and a 5+ Wardsave.
It has been Errated in the FAQ here: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1610145a_FAQ_Bretonnia_V1_4.pdf

Second page, scroll till you see Page 62, thats it.

Gallandr
02-09-2012, 18:28
Thanks, you both!