PDA

View Full Version : Ordering from online stores in canada

Napoleon Blownapart
11-02-2012, 07:06
Hey all, I've been doing a lot of research as I want to do a big order soon and am not sure who would be best to order from. Shipping is often the kicker around here, but ordering from the US usually provides innate discounts + way lower taxes if any. I'm looking for a strong selection of army painter stuff as well so that has affected things.

Anyways, the shops I've found so far that looked the most promising were:

-Warstore : the seemingly "classic" option
-Miniature Market : best discount, but high shipping
-Battleroad : free international shipping on large orders

Anyways I was hoping other Canadian's options on the subject, or others who know good American stores that have friendly international policy.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Regards

Erik_Morkai
11-02-2012, 15:55
I sent you a PM about it.

Draconis
11-02-2012, 20:26
Warstore. Ive never had an order go wrong and its the cheapest price as far as I can tell. The site tells you 20% off and he ships it out super fast. I usually get my stuff within 2 days.

Brothergrimm
12-02-2012, 02:25
I,ve had pretty good luck with Great Canadian Miniatures. 30% off but there slow and I don,t think they have what your looking for. I have also heard some people have had bad luck with GCM.

Scribe of Khorne
12-02-2012, 02:36
HeavySupport, I have ordered from them a few times, and its easy to hit the 'no shipping cost' level.

Oh, looking for Army Painting, well that I dont know about.

Guess Who
12-02-2012, 02:44
Warstore. Ive never had an order go wrong and its the cheapest price as far as I can tell. The site tells you 20% off and he ships it out super fast. I usually get my stuff within 2 days.

Dude I tried looking at the Games Workshop stuff they have on that website and it blocked me from looking at it or even ordering it.

Draconis
12-02-2012, 02:48
Dude I tried looking at the Games Workshop stuff they have on that website and it blocked me from looking at it or even ordering it.

Thats correct, according to GW, web stores are not allowed to show pics of their product. it was a legal issue awhile back. Neal from the warstore has pretty much all GW stuff except for fine cast or direct order only items. He's got a pretty big warehouse. it's easier to call them or email. They are really good about getting back to you quickly.

TheKingInYellow
12-02-2012, 02:58
Great Canadian Miniatures is the cheapest, but I have waited months for orders from them, and the communication is HORRIBLE. I'll never buy there again.

I almost always order from Heavy Support now. Good communication, he has a brick and mortar location, 20% off, and it's very easy to hit the free shipping threshold. I highly recommend them.

Napoleon Blownapart
12-02-2012, 20:28
Heavy support looks great, but it's totally weird that they carry so many specialty lines, and GF9, but not army painter.

The problem with Canadian stores on top of everything else is you may as well subtract 15% from any discount they give, because you pay the taxes. USPS ground from the US, you pretty much never do, AND the MSRP they are taking the discount from is artificially high.

Draconis
12-02-2012, 21:14
Again, warstore lol. They carry everything ive ever wanted. Including army painter, micro art studio bases and such.

Napoleon Blownapart
12-02-2012, 22:33
It's between warstore and mini market right now. Mini market seems to have high shipping, *but* warstore in theory uses the same postage method so in theory it would be the same high shipping, in which case mini market is better due to better discount. However warstore does not have a calculator so I don't know for sure.

Hicks
13-02-2012, 07:16
Great Canadian Miniatures is the cheapest, but I have waited months for orders from them, and the communication is HORRIBLE. I'll never buy there again.

I almost always order from Heavy Support now. Good communication, he has a brick and mortar location, 20% off, and it's very easy to hit the free shipping threshold. I highly recommend them.

GCM does have really awfull service indeed, but it's not even the cheapest option we have. They have to work with GW's inflated "Canadian prices" and then you have to add taxes, so it's still cheaper to buy from another country.

Kalandros
13-02-2012, 22:24

The one time I did order from Warstore they messed up my order big time and I wasn't compensated for shipping back to them the many wrong products I did not want.
That was many years ago but it settled it for me.

Nowadays I buy almost exclusively from local retailers because it costs a lot of money for them to stay open.

Draconis
13-02-2012, 22:43
Don't know. i just ordered 2 Cron Barges and within an hour they had shipped already. I should have them by wednesday, thursday at the latest. If youre worried about the shipping cost, call them up and ask Neal how much it'll be.