PDA

View Full Version : 2500 (Night) Goblins - First Attempt

Siphen
12-02-2012, 05:06
So this is my first attempt at building any fantasy army. I apologize in advance if there are mistakes. I'm just looking for general criticism and suggestions. The list is also currently only 2411 points, so I'm looking to add ~90 more points. Thanks in advance!

Lords (267)
Night Goblin Great Shaman 140
- Level 4 upgrade 35

Goblin Warboss 65
- Spear 3
- Shield 3
- Light Armor 3
- Giant Wolf 18

Heroes (213)
Night Goblin Shaman 50
- Level 2 35
- Dispel Scroll 25

Night Goblin Shaman 50

Goblin Big Boss 35
- Spear 2
- Shield 2
- Light Armor 2
- Giant Wolf 12

Core (906)
9 Goblin Wolf Riders 90
- Spears 9
- Shields 9
- Full Command 30

9 Goblin Wolf Riders 90
- Spears 9
- Shields 9
- Full Command 30

20 Night Goblins 60
- Netters 45
- 3 Fanatics 75
- Full Command 30

20 Night Goblins 60
- Netters 45
- 3 Fanatics 75
- Full Command 30

20 Night Goblins 60
- Netters 45
- 3 Fanatics 75
- Full Command 30

Special (405)
Spear Chukka 35

Spear Chukka 35

Spear Chukka 35

15 Cave Squig 120
10 Night Goblin Herder 30

15 Cave Squig 120
10 Night Goblin Herder 30

Rare (620)
Rock Lobber 85

Rock Lobber 85

Doom Diver 80

Doom Diver 80

Arachnarok Spider 290

I'm thinking that the Goblin Warboss should be the general (for higher leadership). The Warboss and Big Boss go with the Wolf Riders - their purpose is to get flank charges and tie up warmachines. Any comments or suggestions?

zielonkak
12-02-2012, 06:17
need to add some trolls, and manglers. u dont need chukkas either

zielonkak
12-02-2012, 06:19
i would also give each unit of gobos bows, or combine them into one big unit with spears

castlesmadeofsand
12-02-2012, 10:54
sorry if this sounds harsh but the core of your army is so weak it doesn't really matter what else is in it.

drop most of the fanatics and take more bodies. also nets are near worthless on units of 20, which will get decimated by just about anything anyway. units of 10 wolf riders are also fairly pointless, they're still goblins and you won't get much out of them in combat and they become rather expensive throw away units at that size. either run them in a big block of 20 or smaller units of 5 with no frills.

re characters... no BSB? what on earth are you thinking with a goblin army? get one.

as to the brief tactical comments. yes the warboss should be the general, there's literally no point in including him in this army otherwise. as the general he most definitely shouldn't be running around on the flanks and enemy backfield. keep him where he'll actually use the fact he's the general and you know provide leadership (which is all he's good for).

zielonkak
12-02-2012, 13:53
yea i would take like a 50-60 man block of n gobos and add the bsb, the warboss, maybe even a boss, and give him a gw..in the unit. take nets and fanatics on that unit. then take a 20 man block of n gobos with bows and put caster in that one. if your set on keeping a boss on a wolf, then keep him cheap and put him in the unit of 9 wolf riders. i would drop the second one. You could even add another block of n gobos and split up characters from the first block. i like to make them both stubborn. one gets the helm, and the other unith gets bad moon banner. your core should be about the min. in my opinon and concentrate on the killy stuff. i would also max out on lobbas and doom divers, and add pump wagons, and manglers...they are great. i would add a big unit of trolls and keep them close to gen to get leadership...or even two units to cover both flanks. you could drop on unit of squig herds to cover the points for the trolls.

Siphen
13-02-2012, 00:42
Haha, "harsh" is exactly what I'm looking for. I wouldn't get any better if you told me everything was fine. I appreciate the comments.

I'll definitely add a BSB and stick the general back with the rest of the army. No sense in sending my best leadership off by himself. A few comments and questions:

- Is it necessarily bad to stick all my eggs in one basket (a caster, the BSB, my general, etc...all in one unit)? Or is this acceptable?
- Everyone keeps telling me that the Spear Chukkas are bad. Can someone explain why? It's 35 points for a Bolt Thrower with a minor downside. If each Chukka can get just one hit in the entire game, they'll have made back their points.
- I'm not completely determined to keep the Wolf Riders, but I do think I need something to fill that role. Warmachines can really hurt the army, so I need something fast to get into the backfield and deal with them. Also, since goblins don't have a ton of damage output, I feel like I need some fast units to get flank charges. If not the Wolf Riders, what else can do those things?

Thanks!

SaltGut
13-02-2012, 11:35
I also play an all goblin army. (almost all goblins, but ill get to that.) So let me tell you what i have noticed.

All your eggs in one basket is fine, untill you fail a critical anomosity check or panic check.

Your going to lose games because of animosity and leadership. It dosnt mater how good you are at warhammer. Don't play this army unless your ok with that.

As mentioned above. You need bigger units. I play 40 night goblins with all the upgrades and a few units of 20 archers with fanatics and musicians.

Wolf riders are not a good flanking unit. Use units of 5. Against shooting armys to hunt war machines. Against combat armys as redirections.

4 pump wagons and 2 mangler squigs is beter then an arachnarock. (but it looks awsome so play it anyway) I never leave home without pump wagons and mangler squigs.

Bolt throwers are great! Don't listen to the internet. I could make a whole post on just this. Not only do they scare big monsters and chariots. Put a few in front of your blocks. Launch fanatics through them so the enemy lands on the fanatics and takes double the wounds. This will buy you an extra round out of hand to hand and will wreck their unit. The best part is your blot throwers will only be wounded by the fanatics on a roll of a 6! Thats one of the many uses for a 35 point bolt thrower.

Get a goblin warboss and a BSB with the banner of disiplin. In the same unit. That's as good as your going to get for leadership. Unless you play an orc lord...

Goblin magic kind of sucks. I can't tell you how many times I had nothing to do with my power dice because the spells are so situational. Play a level 4 orc shaman. They have a great lore! Teliporting units is great with fanatics and mangler squigs. Big foot is also an amazing spell

nickemi
20-02-2012, 05:09
lose the spear chukkas and bolster your units up close to 30 as much as you can, otherwise i'd really like to see what that many fanatics would do!