PDA

View Full Version : Doubles Weekend Secret Missions?

daninferno
13-02-2012, 22:16
I came across the games-workshop Doubles Weekend rules for their 2012 doubles format and it mentions secret missions that will be a part of the event. I've seen this mentioned in various battle reports as well...missions that give an extra victory point if you complete them that your opponent does not know about at the beginning of the game. I have never played a game using this mechanic though.

I run a group of 8 people in my home with various armies represented and I thought it might be fun for me group to try this out. I'm at a loss for what those special missions are though. I have some ideas (assassinate enemy hq's, take table quarters, a couple of others) but I'd like some examples.

Has anyone played a tournament using this format? Can they maybe share some of the secret missions that they've seen in play?

Thanks in advance!

Thirdeye
13-02-2012, 23:30
Not sure about GW's Doubles Weekend rules but my group has been using secret missions for years. What we use is taken from the original Epic game, call "Space Marine". There's a mission generation system in the rules that lets players play with secret missions. The system also provides for variable points, so if you're playing, say a 2000 point game, you might get stuck with a mission that lets you spend only 1500 or 1750 points, and your opponent might get a mission that lets him spend 2250 or 2500 points. Makes for some pretty wild games!

Get yourself a copy of those rules and check them out. You'll be glad you did.

daninferno
13-02-2012, 23:46
I actually have a copy rotting away in the garage....I'll check it out. Thanks!

Does anyone else have any suggestions for some secret missions as secondary objectives?

Grimbad
14-02-2012, 00:44
I actually have a copy rotting away in the garage....I'll check it out. Thanks!

Does anyone else have any suggestions for some secret missions as secondary objectives?

There's also the second edition mission cards. We usually play those as secret.

Ambience 327
14-02-2012, 15:43
The simple thing is just to make up a small batch of cards you can draw from, which include a variety of simple mission goals. Things like:

Assassination: +1 VP for each enemy HQ unit completely destroyed. (i.e. not ran off the table, falling back, etc)

Maintain the Chain: +1 VP for each of your HQ units at greater than 50% strength and not falling back at the end of the battle.

Infiltration: +1 VP for each of your Elites units at greater than 50% strength, not falling back, and within 6" of the enemy table edge at the end of the battle.

Attrition Prevention: +1 VP for each of your Scoring units which is still at full strength at the end of the battle.

Terror Mission: +1 VP for each enemy unit which flees off the table.

Hidden Objective: Nominate a single terrain piece on the table as an extra objective - write it down but do not tell your opponent. If one of your Scoring units controls this extra objective at the end of the battle, you gain +D3 VPs.

Save the Redshirt: Nominate a single model in your army - write it down but do not tell your opponent. If this model is still alive and on the table at the end of the battle, you gain +D3 VPs.

Deathmark: Nominate a single model in your opponent's army - write it down but do not tell your opponent. If this model is killed, you gain +1 VP.

And on and on.

daninferno
14-02-2012, 17:13
Thanks guys....that really helps a lot. Exactly what I was looking for.