PDA

View Full Version : chaos dwarfs?

redfury
13-02-2012, 23:54
If there's anyone on here that plays the current chaos dwarf list from tamurkhan or who has played against it. I was wondering first of all how do they play? Are they shooting,close combat or magic focused? Is the lammasu in their list as a monster or mount? Are black orcs still available to them? Is a lot of conversion needed to build the army? As far as money goes(in american dollars) how much would it cost do build a chaos dwarf army? Can they be fielded in a regular chaos army still? I'm considering making a chaos dwarf army and I'd like to hear any other thoughts.

Lord Greyskull
14-02-2012, 02:03
Only played a couple of games with my chaos dwarfs. Still trying to figure what combination of characters and units work best. What i liked best about their army was by putting Chaos Dwarf sorcerers next to war machines it allows you to reroll dice. Lannasu is a mount. No Black Orcs. I think some of the Forgeworld stuff is a little expensive and it would be cheaper to convert models or check ebay. You can also take certain unit for a warriors of chaos army.

Grimdesign
14-02-2012, 03:01
Hey Red, your looking at around 46 dollars for 10 infernal guard (core unit) points-wise they are expensive. If your looking for a cheap army, this isn't it. A lhammasu is a mount, can be created as their own army or added to a warriors of chaos army. I would check out the Tamurkhan before you invest anything else, as the book is pretty top notch even if you are not going the Chaos Dwarf route, the book will run you near 80 dollars which is quite symbolic of the CD army cost =/

Drongol
14-02-2012, 03:31
If there's anyone on here that plays the current chaos dwarf list from tamurkhan or who has played against it. I was wondering first of all how do they play? Are they shooting,close combat or magic focused?

Chaos Dwarfs are a very shooting-based army that basically plays like Dwarfs, only better in just about every way outside of counter-battery fire. They have the best Warmachines in the game and the best Monster by far. Thing is, they are a very elite army and will have a low model count at best.

Is the lammasu in their list as a monster or mount?

A mount for the Lord Sorceror choice and prime cannon-bait. However, it can be a Level 2 Shadow Mage, so that's nice.

Are black orcs still available to them?

Nope. Only greenskin available to the Legion of Azgorh is the humble Hobgoblin.

Is a lot of conversion needed to build the army?

Right now, Forgeworld does not produce models for Blunderbusses (not that you'll want them), Hobgoblins (including Wolf Riders and characters), Bull Centaurs, and K'daai of any variety, so some conversions will be required. There are some phenomenal kitbashed Hobgobs made with Stormvermin bodies, Ungor arms, and Gnoblar heads out there. Additionally, most of the war machines are mounted on Steam Carriages, if you care about that sort of thing.

As far as money goes(in american dollars) how much would it cost do build a chaos dwarf army?

A lot. As mentioned, it's about 4.50 per Infernal Guard, the Hobgoblin kitbashes run around 1.50 per model, and the war machines all range in the 50-60 dollar area. The Destroyer pretty much requires a 50 dollar kit as the base model as well.

Can they be fielded in a regular chaos army still?

Yes, with a few restrictions. And I'm not sure as to the tournament legality of it.

I'm considering making a chaos dwarf army and I'd like to hear any other thoughts.

Basically, they're not so much an army as an obstacle course for the opponent to get through when they're played well. They have, as mentioned, enemy-evaporating war machines, a rather interesting lore (and access to Fire and Death), a very solid if expensive core unit (Infernal Guard are cheaper Ironbreakers with a ward save against fire) and cheap tarpits. And then there's the Destroyer, which is just... Yeah.

Your games will likely play out pretty much the same, though: either the Destroyer and magma cannons take out the enemy or he gets to you and punches through. That said, the army is very visually striking and it's not overpowered--it's just that the good stuff is very, very good and the rest is meh at best.

Gillburg
17-02-2012, 14:15
Im playing CD's now and my opinion is that they are not overpowered but it would be very easy to make a list completely broken so i think in tourny play like ETC that there needs to be restrictions.

My fav things are the Iron Daemons and Infernal Guard.

tmarichards
17-02-2012, 14:33
Mantic Games do a very nice range of Abyssal Dwarfs that are much more affordable than the Forgeworld ones, and although there is a lot of divided opinion on the Mantic range, I personally like most of their stuff. It's not as nice as the GW range for sure, but for a third of the cost I'm not complaining!

With regards to CD in-game, the biggest complaint you'll get against them is the Destroyer, which is immune to around 90% of Warhammer following their FAQ. However, if you house-rule it to always be able to be wounded on a 6, then it stops being absurdly broken and just becomes a very very good choice. Which I personally am ok with, because the CD book seems to me to have great characters (Castellan on a Carpet ftw), toys and war machines but the actual bulk of the Dwarfs themselves are fairly average.

SunTzu
17-02-2012, 15:50
With regards to CD in-game, the biggest complaint you'll get against them is the Destroyer, which is immune to around 90% of Warhammer following their FAQ. However, if you house-rule it to always be able to be wounded on a 6, then it stops being absurdly broken and just becomes a very very good choice.

I contend that this is unnecessary. Ethereal units (eg. Hexwraiths) are immune to 95% of Warhammer, and nobody's house-ruling Ethereal out of existence?

tmarichards
17-02-2012, 16:36
No, because most ethereals aren't T6 M9 monsters with 6+D3 attacks at S6 that effectively Fireball each model in base to base and have a Thunderstomp with a 4+ ward. You can deal with ethereals with cheap magic weapons, cheap magic missiles or even just combat res. None of those work particularly well against the Destroyer.

redben
17-02-2012, 16:43
I'm putting mine together with FW war machines and character models, Mantic rank and file, and Night Goblins as Hobgoblins. Haven't reached the point where I can play it yet.

Rosstifer
17-02-2012, 20:43
No, because most ethereals aren't T6 M9 monsters with 6+D3 attacks at S6 that effectively Fireball each model in base to base and have a Thunderstomp with a 4+ ward. You can deal with ethereals with cheap magic weapons, cheap magic missiles or even just combat res. None of those work particularly well against the Destroyer.

The Destroyer is S7. Just sayin' :D

I've started buying some Chaos Dwarves, as they actually work out 7 GBP cheaper for 10 Infernal Guard than say 10 Black Orcs or Tomb Guard in New Zealand. Plus, I've never owned a shooty army, it'll be great fun.

SunTzu
18-02-2012, 07:56

You can destroy a Destroyer with a cannonball, which doesn't work particularly well against Ethereal units. And so on, and so forth. All units have strengths and weaknesses. The Destroyer is very strong, yes. Every army has something very strong.

tmarichards
18-02-2012, 09:06
Just as well that every army can take cannons then...

TsukeFox
18-02-2012, 11:55

Yes indeed -! I love the wood elf cannon-it fires big tree stumps with mold....oh wait that is not true at all.

No the destroyer is over kill to the extreme making people never want to play chaos dwarfs like back in 4/5th.
Forge World droped the ball on that one and over all the army would be fine without it.
A shame the basic chaos dwarf does not come cheaper-maybe without the mighty fire ward armor and extra strengh.

thrawn
18-02-2012, 14:37
i also want to start chaos dwarfs so bought the book tamurkhan.

i wanna proxy some models and get some games. i'll let you know how they go

SunTzu
18-02-2012, 17:54

I think you missed the bit about "and so on, and so forth". Let me repeat myself in bold italic for the hard of thinking: and so on, and so forth. I'm not going to sit here and list every single thing in the game that can hurt Destroyers but can't hurt Ethereal models when any reasonable person can readily understand the point I was making.

Disposable Hero
18-02-2012, 18:47
I have played a great one game so far with my Tamurkhan list.

In it is a Daemonsmith with Lore of Metal, 11 Infernal Guard and a Magma Cannon.
I use Confrontation models and they look (apart from my painting) quite good in the army.

I am absolutely crap at army building, but the Guards and the Smith did fine, while the Magma Cannon toasted me some nice Empire Knights.