PDA

View Full Version : what is a 'missile attack'

SaltGut
14-02-2012, 22:41
I was considering trying the empire special character Balthasar Gelt.

This is his rule, exactly as written.
The cloak of molten metal: This mystic robe creates a shimmering series of images of the wizard and his mount, forever rotating in a dazzling whirlwind of iridescent colours, confounding the aim of anybody attacking them with a ranged weapon. The robe gives a 3+ ward save against any missile attack directed towards Balthasar and his mount.

What' counts as a missile attack?

Bows, handguns, thrown weapons. Obviously
What about war machines and other none missile weapon shooting attacks? What about magic missiles?

Warrior of Chaos
15-02-2012, 08:01
anybody attacking them with a ranged weapon. The robe gives a 3+ ward save against any missile attack directed towards Balthasar and his mount.

What' counts as a missile attack? B

Depends how you want to look at it, but as I read it, ANY ranged weapon (bows, crossbows, thrown weapons, guns, cannons, bolt throwers...etc.). A magic missile is not a weapon so I'd assume there is not ward for them.

Dux
15-02-2012, 09:18
He gets the ward save against anything that is a missile:
bows, crossbows, thrown weapons etc.
warmachines (they shoot with rocks, spears or similar things)
magic missiles like fireball

Note that he doesn't get the save against direct damage spells like "Penumbral Pendulum"

Harwammer
15-02-2012, 10:14
Agreed with Dux.

Warrior of Chaos
16-02-2012, 10:44
magic missiles like fireball

Well that is why I added the note of "depends how you want to look at it". Usually there is a specific caveat which includes "magic missiles" listed in the text if that is part of the designer's intent. Whatever way you look at it, any nuances in interpretation will have to be settled between you and your opponent.

Petey
20-02-2012, 16:08
Well that is why I added the note of "depends how you want to look at it". Usually there is a specific caveat which includes "magic missiles" listed in the text if that is part of the designer's intent. Whatever way you look at it, any nuances in interpretation will have to be settled between you and your opponent.

I will default to English here. The ward save is against missile. This would include any kind of missile. To include a kitten missle attack fired in the movement phase. Unless it says otherwise, if it has the descriptor Missile you get the ward against anything with that descriptor.

While I empathize with your point, really, we can't start arguing about what the definition of "is" is.

SilasOfTheLambs
20-02-2012, 16:35
+1 for magic missiles are missiles, for the same reason that the old enchanted shield used to be a "shield" even though TFG would sometimes try to use it with a great weapon because it didn't say "shield."

belgarath97
21-02-2012, 17:37
I will default to English here. The ward save is against missile. This would include any kind of missile. To include a kitten missle attack fired in the movement phase. Unless it says otherwise, if it has the descriptor Missile you get the ward against anything with that descriptor.

While I empathize with your point, really, we can't start arguing about what the definition of "is" is.

If the President of the United States can do it, so can I! :eek: