PDA

View Full Version : New Treasure Cards

PeteA
15-02-2012, 15:41
I'm currently investigating the possibility of producing some treasure cards that would work in WHQ and other similar games and was just wondering if this is something people would be interested in buying? Looking at a pack of 56 plastic coated cards with custom artwork and text that has a mixture of mundane (rope, bandages etc), real treasures (magical weapons, armour) and consumables (bread, potions)

Frogczar
23-02-2012, 17:29
I'd be interested. The question is, could you get cards made with the same back as he WHQ treasure cards? Also, how about some of the treasures from the White Dwarf issues? The ones I printed up aren't quite right.

Botjer
23-02-2012, 19:13
I'd just be happy if it was a package for filling in and printing it my self.
Or empty cards that the player can write on.

PeteA
24-02-2012, 13:20
I'd be interested. The question is, could you get cards made with the same back as he WHQ treasure cards? Also, how about some of the treasures from the White Dwarf issues? The ones I printed up aren't quite right.

I could but shouldn't for risk of being collared by GW's legal department. Due to the way GW controls their copyrights and IP, nothing produced by them could be reproduced in any way - so the card back would still say "treasure card" but had a different background image on it. The same applies to the treasure cards in WD, I couldn't duplicate them verbatim, although there's nothing to say I couldn't create a card that were similar. This is one of the reasons I'm looking at producing generic cards that will integrate into WHQ or similar such games.

I'd just be happy if it was a package for filling in and printing it my self.
Or empty cards that the player can write on.

I did consider splitting the pack into 46 treasures and 10 blanks but wasn't sure if anybody would like this idea or not?

Necanthrope
24-02-2012, 16:07
[QUOTE=PeteA;6104821
I did consider splitting the pack into 46 treasures and 10 blanks but wasn't sure if anybody would like this idea or not?[/QUOTE]

I have little interest in new treasure cards, but if you were producing blank event cards in say a pack of 100 with 75 monster and 25 events, I would buy several packs.

Botjer
24-02-2012, 17:21
yes, totally blank cards would be awesome, just a nice layout and /event/ /treasure/ /equipment/ on the front would be awesome.
As you cant copy GW and most people have their own events (me having my totally own set of rules), im guessing people would want to be able to write on the cards.

Botjer
24-02-2012, 17:26
double post

PeteA
27-02-2012, 13:48
I have little interest in new treasure cards, but if you were producing blank event cards in say a pack of 100 with 75 monster and 25 events, I would buy several packs.

Decks would have to be 56 cards as that's a "standard" quantity for a box, so would work out as a split of 42/14. Out of curiosity what would you consider reasonable for a deck of blank cards? My concern is that people would expect quite a low retail cost for blank cards but the production cost would actually be the same as a pre configured set.

yes, totally blank cards would be awesome, just a nice layout and /event/ /treasure/ /equipment/ on the front would be awesome.
As you cant copy GW and most people have their own events (me having my totally own set of rules), im guessing people would want to be able to write on the cards.

Blank cards could be a possibility although as in my reply above I don't know if the retail value would actually make this worth while. I keep a regular eye on eBay and the official blank card packs tend to sell for around the 5/6 where as the treasure packs go for at least 20. Although I'd not even consider charging 20 for a pack of cards, 5 for blanks wouldn't even break even until I'd sold around 150 packs... However the official blanks were event cards if memory serves so maybe blank treasure cards would be more popular.

Necanthrope
27-02-2012, 15:33
Decks would have to be 56 cards as that's a "standard" quantity for a box, so would work out as a split of 42/14. Out of curiosity what would you consider reasonable for a deck of blank cards? My concern is that people would expect quite a low retail cost for blank cards but the production cost would actually be the same as a pre configured set.

It would depend on the cards really. Various print on demand sites will allow you to create your own customised cards, and a pack typically goes for about 10 pounds if you are ordering a single one. Although larger orders usually get discounts. Blank cards would have to look very good to get me to pay more than a fiver for a pack. However, event or treasure cards that are as good or better than the one's GW produced, with all the relevant rules on them, would get me to pay a lot more.
If you google mystified michael along with a few WHQ terms, you will eventually find some cards he produced that were very good. I'd want something of this standard before I paid real money for them.

PeteA
29-02-2012, 10:20
It would depend on the cards really. Various print on demand sites will allow you to create your own customised cards, and a pack typically goes for about 10 pounds if you are ordering a single one. Although larger orders usually get discounts. Blank cards would have to look very good to get me to pay more than a fiver for a pack. However, event or treasure cards that are as good or better than the one's GW produced, with all the relevant rules on them, would get me to pay a lot more.
If you google mystified michael along with a few WHQ terms, you will eventually find some cards he produced that were very good. I'd want something of this standard before I paid real money for them.

I'm not sure where you're looking, but to get a one-off deck with custom both sides is around 30 + vat. You can pick up custom backed playing cards for around a tenner but they only have the option to have a custom back artwork - which is really cool if you're doing magic tricks but pretty useless if you're wanting cards for WHQ.

I've decided that I'm going to have to have a rethink on what I was planning. The response to treasure cards hasn't been overly encouraging and the resell/profit costs on blank cards just isn't going to be worth it as I'd personally only expect to pay 5.99 for a pack and from my point of view would have to sell in the region of 200 to make anything approaching a profit after I'd commissioned art etc and don't have the four-figure investment needed to purchase stock in.