PDA

View Full Version : New player 2500 points NEED HELP

kelthrai
15-02-2012, 19:41
Hello im new to the fantasy world but have started a dark elves army so heres my list,
so if any of you experiensed players would give some advice that would be nice

Now here`s my list:

Master
- General
+ - 2 Reapeter handbows
- Heavy Armor
-Shield
- Sea dragon cloak
+ - Cold one
+ -Sword of Berserk
- Black dragon egg
- - - > 176 Points

Dark elves Sorceress
- Level 2
+ - Ruby ring
-Sacrificial dagger
+ -Black Magic
- - - > 185 Points

Assassin
- Two Handweapons
+ -Rending stars
-Manebane
-Cloak of twilight
- - - > 171 Points

16 Dark elves Warriors
- - - > 96 Points

16 Reapeter Crossbowmen
- Musican
- - - > 165 Points

16 Reapeter Crossbowmen
- Musican
- - - > 165 Points

40 Corsairs full command
- Two Handweapons
+ SSS
- - - > 450 Points

12 Executioners
- - - > 144 Points

15 CoK full command
+ - Crimson death
+ - Screaming Banner
- - - > 520 Points

16 Black guard full command
+ - Banner of Eternal Flame
- - - > 253 Points

War Hydra
- - - > 175 Points

Total points Dark elves : 2500

Yvellkan
15-02-2012, 22:23
drop the executioners and 5 knights and take like 4 units of shades, personally i would have 2 mages but thats your call. But i would have 1 lvl 4 shadow and 1 lvl 2 with the tome of furion take whichever lore suits your playstyle or common opponent, i like fire or metal. Death can be good too. Drop the warriors and get 2 units of harpies, and add as many blackguard as you can to fill the points. Assassins are useless imo, but its your call. But if you drop him you can still have your lord in the knights. and personally i would take 3 units of 10 RxB rather than 2 units of 16.

kelthrai
16-02-2012, 07:07
thanks for the advice my new list is a bit different from yours but i dont have that amount of models

Dreadlord, General
+ Heavy Armour, Shield
+ Cold One
+ Ogre Blade, Pendant of Khaeleth, Cloak of Hag Graef
- - - > 279 Points

Sorceress, Level 2 Upgrade
+ Ruby Ring of Ruin, Sacrificial Dagger
+ Lore of Death
- - - > 185 Points

Sorceress, Level 2 Upgrade
+ The Guiding Eye, Focus Familiar
+ Lore of Shadows
- - - > 185 Points

5 Harpies
- - - > 55 Points

5 Harpies
- - - > 55 Points

16 Crossbowmen, Shields, Musician, Standardbearer, Champion
- - - > 196 Points

- - - > 196 Points

- - - > 196 Points

20 Dark Elf Warriors
- - - > 120 Points

10 Cold One Knights, Musician, Standardbearer, Champion
+ Standard of Discipline
- - - > 325 Points

5 Shades, Light Armour, Add. Handweapons, Champion
- - - > 108 Points

5 Shades, Light Armour, Add. Handweapons, Champion
- - - > 108 Points

20 Black Guards, Musician, Standardbearer, Champion
+ Lichebone Pennant
- - - > 310 Points

War Hydra
- - - > 175 Points

Total Points Darkelves : 2493

AM1640
16-02-2012, 18:13
Hi, you made some significant changes to your list based on 1 reply. I sense that you have not purchased all of the models and are looking for a shopping list to work with. I would recommend to get an assortment of core models and play smaller games until you figure out what units you like and dislike. For example you have now included 48 crossbowmen which will lend itself to a very static gunline style of play and shooting will not be effective against big hordes. You have smallish combat units (the 20 spear warriors will not last long) and the 10 knights will attract alot of attention from the opponent.
What is your plan with the sacrificial dagger? Do you have to sacrifice your own models to get a benefit out of it? If so you don't have any units big enough to be throwing models away from.
Do you like the harpy models? What will you do with them? You can use small units like that for war machine hunting or re-directing and not much else. Same for the shades. I would try a couple of games with some proxied models before going and investing money in them.
It is best to list out what your play style is so that the game is fun and then pick units that have a particular purpose on the battlefield. ie a large block of infantry to be an anvil, then the CoK to hit the flank of the enemy units that are fighting the anvil. Some harpies to go after war machines. A level X lore of X user to cast spell xyz to boost your own troops or eliminate a certain enemy unit. I tend to go with lower level magic users because I tend to try and cast the sig spells because I know I can choose it, it is easier to make the casting value, and I can have 2 wizards with the same spell so I have a greater chance of casting it. Remember more often than not you will only get 6 casting dice per round rather than 12. Have fun and it is okay to lose, one of you has to.

Yvellkan
16-02-2012, 18:57
Hi, you made some significant changes to your list based on 1 reply. I sense that you have not purchased all of the models and are looking for a shopping list to work with. I would recommend to get an assortment of core models and play smaller games until you figure out what units you like and dislike. For example you have now included 48 crossbowmen which will lend itself to a very static gunline style of play and shooting will not be effective against big hordes. You have smallish combat units (the 20 spear warriors will not last long) and the 10 knights will attract alot of attention from the opponent.
What is your plan with the sacrificial dagger? Do you have to sacrifice your own models to get a benefit out of it? If so you don't have any units big enough to be throwing models away from.
Do you like the harpy models? What will you do with them? You can use small units like that for war machine hunting or re-directing and not much else. Same for the shades. I would try a couple of games with some proxied models before going and investing money in them.
It is best to list out what your play style is so that the game is fun and then pick units that have a particular purpose on the battlefield. ie a large block of infantry to be an anvil, then the CoK to hit the flank of the enemy units that are fighting the anvil. Some harpies to go after war machines. A level X lore of X user to cast spell xyz to boost your own troops or eliminate a certain enemy unit. I tend to go with lower level magic users because I tend to try and cast the sig spells because I know I can choose it, it is easier to make the casting value, and I can have 2 wizards with the same spell so I have a greater chance of casting it. Remember more often than not you will only get 6 casting dice per round rather than 12. Have fun and it is okay to lose, one of you has to.

erm you havent played DE's have you... shades are amazing (probably the best troops we have) and harpies make great warmachine and mage hunters, personally i would get rid of the warriors and a unit of RxB and take a large unit of corsairs with full command and the Sea serpent banner. That will be a decent anvil. and combined with the black guard and the knights will give you a reasonable core. Personally owuld not take a mage as a DE player without one of them having tome of furion, probably the shadow mage.

Otherwise this is a much better list than the first one.

kelthrai
16-02-2012, 19:48
thank you but i vas kinda thinking i could wait with close combat units and lean back wathcing my RxB units blast away with bolts and my mage to blast away with seriosly much power dice the harpies could destroy much of his shooting and when his close combat troops are in charge range, baam my knights charge then boom my black guards counter charge the already weakend unit by shooting and shades.

tmarichards
16-02-2012, 20:27
If you're after a shooting heavy list, Shades will do much better than the core xbows by merit of just being far superior. To be honest, the only purpose I can see for core xbows is to fill out the last of the core tax after you've got your Corsairs and Warriors. They make for a decent unit to stop enemy flankers, but for heavy lifting in the shooting phase Shades are the way to go.

Also, with shades, the champion is not worth taking over another shade, and nor is it worth taking light armour on them.

PrinceElric
17-02-2012, 13:30
DE RxB are very nice units, but you might be over-estimating their effectiveness. 3 units of 16 will give you 96 shots, which sounds like a lot, but... if 1/3 hit, 1/2 of them wound, and 1/6 of those are saved... you end up inflicting a bit over 13 casualties. In the context of a 2500 point army, that's not really weakening anything. You could certainly ratchet up the amount of shooting, but - as a previous poster points out - that leads to a static gunline that's neither fun, nor that effective.

If you really want to try it out, here are a few suggestions:

(1) Consider bringing the Corsairs back into your list, but with handbows instead of extra hand weapons... In horde formation, 30 corsairs with xhw & frenzy standard will inflict 51 attacks. Played correctly, 30 corsairs with handbows & frenzy standard will shoot 40 shots, and then 40 more if you get to stand-and-shoot, followed-up by 41 attacks... much nicer!

(2) If you're not sure exactly how your play-style is going to evolve, the best advice I ever got was to build half the corsair models with handbows and half with additional hand weapons... and put whatever you're using up front!

(3) Put at least 20 RxB in a single block to team with the Sorceress with The Guiding Eye... that way you can maximize the benefit of the Eye, and ensure at least one good volley.

(4) For the Cold One Knights, a more common choice of magic banner is the Standard of Hag Graef (for ASF). For the Black Guard, I'd suggest the Banner of Murder (AP attacks).

(5) I agree with the previous poster that Shades don't need a Champion, but you might want to consider putting one in with the Warriors, if they're your mage bunker for the Sorceress with the SacDagger... otherwise, the first unit with a champion that slams into the Warriors will challenge the Sorceress.