PDA

View Full Version : VC redo.

Morax
16-02-2012, 17:18
So I adapted my last list some. Has better hitting power while keeping true to what I see as the strengths of the book. Take a look and lemme know what ya think.

Lords
Master Necromancer, Level 4, Black Periapt, Master of the Dead 275

Heroes
Necromancer, Level 2, Book of Arkhan 125
Necromancer, Level 2 100
Carin Wraith 60

Core
15 Skeleton Warriors, Standard Bearer 85
14 Skeleton Warriors, Standard Bearer 85
50 Crypt Ghouls 500
6 Dire Wolves 48
6 Dire Wolves 48

Special
18 Crypt Horrors 684
40 Graveguard, Great weapons, Command, Banner of the Barrows 550
Spirit Host 45
Spirit Host 45
Spirit Host 45
3 Fell Bats 48

Rare
Mortis Engine, Blasphemous Tome 240

SteelTitan
16-02-2012, 17:42
I like it. Three hammer units and a bunch of decoy. After a couple of games I feel kinda tired of relying on the grave guard to do all the heavy work and was indeed thinking of bringing my ghouls back in (rather than so many skeletons).

Maybe you could give us some of your thoughts on it/tactics/strategy? Which points level is it?

Why the small unit of skeletons (raising with MoD?)?
Why 6 dire wolves
What's your main strategy?

18 Crypt Horrors, WOW!

Sqallum
16-02-2012, 17:44
I like it. I am not too sure on ghouls though. I would slice off some ghouls to get some Black Knights, as your army is missing cavalry, which other armies could exploit. I would personally equip my GG bunker with hand weapon/shield for the 4+ armour, 6++ ward, but again, that is just personal. I assume you are using Mortis Engine to buff the regen save of the horrors.:D They should pone.
Happy Hunting,
Sqallum

m1acca1551
16-02-2012, 21:53
Love it!

I may have to borrow it, I'd try get some Black Knights in there some where cos i love the mini's and as ha s been said adds some fast attack element... well as fast as undead can :P

Morax
17-02-2012, 20:30
Maybe you could give us some of your thoughts on it/tactics/strategy? Which points level is it?

Why the small unit of skeletons (raising with MoD?)?
Why 6 dire wolves
What's your main strategy?

18 Crypt Horrors, WOW!

Small units of Skeles are for bunkers that provide banners for Death or glory. It says that a Master of the Dead CAN raise skeletons beyond starting value, not that he must. I plan to keep them small enough to stay behind the line but might get them to 20 or so. Either way they will likely get fielded 8x2 to give me the option of getting out of the Mortis Engine's area of effect.

6 Wolves was because I had the extra points. As an added plus I can only take 6 models against a warmachine crew so I figured it would work out well there too. The added durability for each unit is a minor benefit but a benefit none the less.

18 crypt horrors, yep :-)

Main strat I guess would be to set up the C Horrors, Grave guard and Ghouls as a main battle line. Wolves and ethereals for drops, to set up favorable matchups for the main battle line, and for tieing up anything I will have a hard time killing, like elite cav units and monsters. The Bats and wolves can go after warmachines if they survive that long. The Skeles and Engine go in the rear with the gear to provide front line support with spells and a bonus to regen. With the skeles flanking the Mortis Engine and at 8 wide I should use my movement phase to get what casters I want within range of the tomes effect.

brendino
17-02-2012, 23:26
wow, looks like a really strong list, definately plays to the strength of the VC book. sad but reasonable i guess to see no vampire hero or lord :'( but i get it.

only thing is maybe the necro lord needs some protection? maybe talisman of endurance? drop a dire wolf each and a couple skellies and you have the points.

96mgb
20-02-2012, 17:45
Id drop the black periapt for a 4+ ward save as that necro is very vunerable.

brendino
20-02-2012, 22:55
Id drop the black periapt for a 4+ ward save as that necro is very vunerable.

black periapt is soooo good tho.... maybe try to find the points somewhere else?

Morax
24-02-2012, 12:12
Black Periapt is staying. I'm a long time empire player so I know the value of transfering dice from one phase to the next. It is even more important in this book as the VC rely so heavily on their magic phase. Some steps need to be taken to regulate its randomness and the Black periapt is, imo, the most cost effective way to do so. As to the protection for the master necromancer, he has a 2+ look out sir in a unit of skeletons. That unit should never fall due to the master necromancer's presence but it can happen. I'm not too worried about it as most of the units I've take don't need nehek to stand tall and the buff spells, while nice, are not absolutely nessesary.

The things that by pass that 2+ are few and far between. Death magic is short ranged by and large so the buffer of three hordes should keep him out of range until I lock that death mage down in combat. In addition to that, the death mage can't hide that he is a death mage giving me plenty of oppertunities to plan accordingly. If death magic gets him it will be because I have failed in manauvering him properly, not due to lack of saves.

Sniper will have have had time getting him as he is going to be behind other units getting the -2 to hit from hard cover. Combined with sniper's -1 to hit that is built in, -3 to hit will reduce the number of hits drasticly. Most things with sniper, iirc, are strength 4 needed 4's to wound him. I feel fairly safe from that threat.

Dwellers and final transmutation are risky spells to throw at him as the offending mage will likely be in range of the tomes. That will make my opponent choose between going for irresistable and playing it safe. Playing it safe means I get a solid shot at dispelling while going for the gusto may mean his wizard gets neutered too. I'll take that trade off.