PDA

View Full Version : Request: HQ Youtube battle reports

Durloth
18-02-2012, 19:56
I have a lot of dead time at work and have been looking for good battle reports on Youtube.

Now, I know the people who upload batreps do it without getting paid and I have immense respect for the good people who put a lot of work into editing and uploading such battle reports for our collective entertainment. That said, there are so many videos that either only show parts of the battlefield, have players who don't know the rules at all or where the game is played with so many unpainted minis and proxies that it's totally uninspiring.

Are there any channels that with a certain regularity fulfill my requirements of a more or less full table view, a rudimentary grasp of the rules and at least two colors per miniature?

tmarichards
18-02-2012, 22:14
I'm guessing you've been over most of the threads here already and not been impressed with then :( ?

Kayosiv
18-02-2012, 22:40
Oncebitten360.

Durloth
19-02-2012, 06:09
I'm guessing you've been over most of the threads here already and not been impressed with then :( ?

I really appreciate what you do and if I could give your battle reports all my attention they would probably be great. Thing is, I'm watching the videos at work and have to pause quite frequently and from what I've seen of your reports, the overviews are quite few and far between, which means I lose all sense of whats going on at the rest of the table when I come back to your videos after a short pause.

@Kayosiv: Oncebittens videos are nice and easy to follow, thanks to his use of arrows and such. I have to admit that I have only browsed through his channel, but the reports I have seen have featured so many unpainted miniatures.

I really hope I don't come off as a duchebag here. Like I said, I have a lot of respect for the people who actually bother to do this without getting paid or anything.

MasterValrik
19-02-2012, 06:45
I really appreciate what you do and if I could give your battle reports all my attention they would probably be great. Thing is, I'm watching the videos at work and have to pause quite frequently and from what I've seen of your reports, the overviews are quite few and far between, which means I lose all sense of whats going on at the rest of the table when I come back to your videos after a short pause.

@Kayosiv: Oncebittens videos are nice and easy to follow, thanks to his use of arrows and such. I have to admit that I have only browsed through his channel, but the reports I have seen have featured so many unpainted miniatures.

I really hope I don't come off as a duchebag here. Like I said, I have a lot of respect for the people who actually bother to do this without getting paid or anything.

I agree I love watching Battle reports at work, being on midnight shift have alot of time on my hands 3-4 hours a night, would love to get some more reports.

MOMUS
19-02-2012, 09:08
I only get to game once per week so I watch ALOT of youtube battle reports and these are some of the best (for fantasy):

Tmarichards
Oncebitten
Smacdeezy
Ogrewargaming
Malorian
MOMUS :angel:

Durloth
19-02-2012, 10:08
@MOMUS: The only ones I haven't seen are yours, but when I search for you I get a ton of hits called things like "Momus the homosexual" and "Momus I am a kitten"...

Ogrewargaming is probably my fav so far.

Malorian
19-02-2012, 17:08
Many people don't understand the trouble it is to put these reports together.

It gets even worse when people start to criticize your opponent's painting or tactics. For a while I had people refusing to play me because they didn't want to get mocked by the viewers.

I've gotten a lot of requests for things like more close ups, but you have to realize that this takes time out of the game. It's hard to stop an excited opponent when an important moment happens to take a picture when all they want to do is roll dice and enjoy it themselves.

You best bet is to subcribe to several channels and pick out the good looking reports.

Durloth
19-02-2012, 20:16
@Malorian: I understand and appreciate how hard it is to make a battle report-video. There is a reason why I don't do it myself;)

I can see how this topic may be seen as a criticism and in hindsight I realize that the "HQ" in the title may make it seem like I don't think the videos out there are of any quality. As English isn't my first language, I don't always see the implications of the words I use until I've had some time to chew on it and may come off as harsher than I meant to.

What I was trying to get to, was that there is a lot of variation within all of your videos. Some show a steady progression, while others (Bluetablepainting comes to mind) just strikes gold now and again. Being quite new to watching battle reports on Youtube, I've found it hard to really find my way through the enormous number of Warhammer related videos out there and to find the reports I've been able to enjoy -despite frequent pauses and not being able to give the videos my full attention- I've had to fast forward through loads and loads of content. It's also hard to know if you just watch a random video from some guy if he'll improve later, so I may have written some channels off too early just from judging them by an unlucky or too early video. That is a risk that comes with having a (too) wide selection to choose from.

I'll follow your tip and continue to shift through what is out there. I have three night shifts this week and for what it's worth, I'm really looking forwards to watching you play against Once Bitten tomorrow night. That one seemed to have a lot of potential when I fast forwarded through one of the episodes...

Olannon
26-02-2012, 21:38
@Durloth, personally I feel that battle reports are a lot more clear when presented in a textual format. This is partly why I don't make youtube battle reports - when I read one myself I find that I frequently jump back and forth and pick up on small details, which is something I find is awkward with videos. Have you considered following textual blogs? There are quite a few (though not too many on warseer) around.

@Malorian, it appears to me that you're insulted because somebody finds your work somewhat lacking. Why you react in this way makes no sense to me. Let me try and address your statements:

Many people don't understand the trouble it is to put these reports together.

True, but this is clearly not the case here. The OP starts off by saying humbly how much he appreciates the efforts done by battle report posters.

It gets even worse when people start to criticize your opponent's painting or tactics. For a while I had people refusing to play me because they didn't want to get mocked by the viewers.

If people don't want to get better at the game / painting, I can understand this. Seriously though, are your gaming mates a bunch of 13 year old girls who don't want their self-esteem lowered by internet wisdom bashing their warhammer skills? I've found that so far, each and every one of my opponents (who's voiced their opinion) has really appreciated the feedback that come from my reports. Of course, if someone's downright insulting someone's play that's one thing, but despite internet knowledge telling you otherwise, most guys on most forums are polite, friendly, to-the-point and willing to share their experience. Besides, I don't really get what this has to do with the poster's request?

I've gotten a lot of requests for things like more close ups, but you have to realize that this takes time out of the game. It's hard to stop an excited opponent when an important moment happens to take a picture when all they want to do is roll dice and enjoy it themselves.

What the OP is asking for is more overview, which i can completely understand. In Warhammer, the most crucial part of an overview is start/end of turn pictures. Personally, I find that I cannot read a report and get anything out of it unless there are diagrams and/or pictures to convey the overview. Doing this takes VERY little time (most report people I know of even manage during tournaments, so time is hardly an argument).

Basically, I feel that your entire attitude here is "I put in a lot of work don't tell me it's not worth it" when the OP is simply asking you/us to improve the quality of the reports. This is all completely wrong; though nobody gets paid for writing reports here, we write reports for a reason. The reason is the viewers. As such, we should really listen and be thankful when they tell us how we can improve our work - indeed this benefits everyone as we get better feedback and viewers can enjoy the reports more. Coming off as someone who's taking offense at but a simple request just strikes me as arrogant and childish. Speaking of which, if you have any suggestions as to how textual reports could be better OP I'm all ears (feel free to send a PM if you think this isn't the right arena).

Try and be humble and understand that people are working with you - not against you - and you'll see that the world becomes a much nicer place (even the online part of it).

Malorian
28-02-2012, 15:24
Olannon, I have some homework for you. Go to Bell of Lost Souls and look at the comments left for the battle reports.

You'll find that "polite, friendly, to-the-point and willing to share their experience" is way off the mark.

(I send you there because you'll see more comments than anywhere else.)

It's one thing to work with the viewers but it's also important for the viewers to understand the reality behind the situation.

This isn't directly completely at the OP but rather to viewers in general.

I bought a good quality compact camera I could bring to tournaments, I took the time out of my game to take pictures (risking my opponent's patience), I bought a good quality micophone, I spent the time learning how to use the movie maker, I spent the time to make the battle report, and I spend the time to edit it and upload it.

Why do I do this? Two reasons. 1) I like to entertain and share the stories, but more importantly 2) I like to share my knowledge and learn more in return. I'm focused on the tactical side of the hobby.

Now many are nice, but all it takes is the vocal minority to sour it all.

The painters nag on me about my painting.

When I change my list to use painted models the list builders nag on me about my choices.

When I play soft opponents they are deemed idiots.

When I play hard opponents they are deemed jerks (web filter forced me to lax my wording).

When I show off tactical skill I'm called a jerk.

When I take it easy and have fun my tactical skill is questioned.

What I'm getting at is that you can't make everyone happy and no matter what you do there is always someone out there that isn't happy with you.

And then there are the attacks on my opponents. My skin can be tough and I can shrug off the insults, but my opponents (who aren't 13 year old girls by the way)(thank you for being part of the problem) don't deserve to be the target of internet fury.

If nothing else I hope what I'm posting in here will make the viewers out there a little bit more understanding about what's happening on the other side of the screen.

There have been some great battle reporters I've seen come and go simply because their time wasn't worth the vocal minority.

Olannon
28-02-2012, 18:18
The internet is the internet and always will be.

There are plenty of forums around where the comments are like the ones I described. Just turn off comments on youtube and link the reports on the relevant forums - problem solved. In my opinion, you're making up a problem that doesn't exist and use this thread to voice your opinions instead of thanking the OP for his input and request.

Malorian
28-02-2012, 18:37
Thank you Durloth for calling the 2-10 hours I spend on making battle reports each week uninspiring.

(Is that better Olannon?)

(Again this isn't actually directed at you Durloth. This is me stopping a battle reporter hate thread.)

iamjack42
28-02-2012, 19:03
Thank you Durloth for calling the 2-10 hours I spend on making battle reports each week uninspiring.

(Is that better Olannon?)

(Again this isn't actually directed at you Durloth. This is me stopping a battle reporter hate thread.)

Whether something inspires any given random person bears any relation to the time invested by its maker? Huh.

Olannon
29-02-2012, 06:52
See, this mentality is exactly where the problem lies. Nobody hates on anyone writing battle reports, nor is anyone trying to make this thread about that. As I'm sure you know, I write a lot of battle reports myself so it would make no sense for me to have such an attitude.

The OP is essentially saying something like this: "Hey I know you all put in a lot of work and while I appreciate the effort, I would really love for you to include the following in your future reports". Please note that he asked in a very polite manner (especially relative to being on the internet).

By replying as you have you come off as bitter and self-centered instead of one who's focused on making the reports as good as possible. I'm not saying this is the case because I obviously don't know, but that is what it sounds like from your replies here. If you're really that dis-illusioned from youtube comments, I strongly suggest you disable comments for the videos you upload and use forums exclusively for feedback. If Warseer doesn't comply with your standards, I know for a fact that other forums do.

I am having serious problems understanding what's so hard about absorbing useful advice and simply reply in a thankful and humble manner instead of trying to turn this thread into a "why do people hate me and my work" thing. Even if you don't agree with the OP's advice, you can thank him for providing input and respectfully decline with reasons of your own, or simply leave the thread be.

Malorian
29-02-2012, 14:14
Mutual Understanding

BigbyWolf
29-02-2012, 14:23
Mutual Understanding

S'allright Mal, I love your reports and couldn't give two squigs that you use unpainted models.:yes:

TsukeFox
02-03-2012, 02:26
Actually I like all battle reports as it is a gander at how the world plays and the different styles of gaming.
I like to think of any criticism, negative or positive, as a way to better ones game.
However persons who critisize on painting or the lack of-well they can blow. Not everyone has time to paint or paint well.
Any rules broken or forgotten during a report is really a way for me to double check my own rule lexicon. & if I do not know the answer someone else hopefully will

Further I feel your pain about takin time to take pics-as I always pray for a third party to take pictures as I have learned that taking pics really does take time & the act of picture taking is a distraction from gameplay which can lead to forget fullness. It is also easy to forget to take pictures in the heat of battle.
Now of course I beg for close ups a lot cause like to see what different conversions & the likes are going on out there.

I like to thank all youtube battle reports folk for taking the time as honestly reading reports is hard to do when one is painting.

Walls
02-03-2012, 02:33
Not undermining or complaining about work, but I do NOT see the point in battle reports with unpainted and/or half built models. You are trying to showcase the HOBBY to the wider audience, so focus on all aspects of the hobby. While I am sure all battle reporters take lots of time and effort into their videos, once I see unpainted stuff I quite often simply turn it off. Wargamingforfun is about the only one I let get away with this but that's because they put SO much into the sportsmanship and gentlemanship of the hobby.

TsukeFox
02-03-2012, 03:49
Not undermining or complaining about work, but I do NOT see the point in battle reports with unpainted and/or half built models. You are trying to showcase the HOBBY to the wider audience, so focus on all aspects of the hobby. While I am sure all battle reporters take lots of time and effort into their videos, once I see unpainted stuff I quite often simply turn it off. Wargamingforfun is about the only one I let get away with this but that's because they put SO much into the sportsmanship and gentlemanship of the hobby.

Dude for real-?

Most people have responsabilties beyond playing with plastic dolls-jobs, relationships, & family.
Further with each release Warhammer Fantasy becomes more expensive-
Example:
A) finecash Blood Knights
B) finecash mangler squid
C) price gouging for living on the far side of the world-ie Australia and company
D) magnets, frock, bases, container units, ect.
E) Proxying is a way to test an army without paying the cash 1st.

Most people do not have the time to play on a regular bases & are lucky to play when they get a chance.
Further us folk who live in the States are hard press to find fantasy players as 40k is a far easier game to start & collect. (at least in the Georgia)

It took me ten years to collect, paint, & magnetize my Skaven army.
A GW store just opened in Atlanta- I play with folk that can barely get to 2k (& only get there by using mucho chars.)
Some things are painted- but I am more exited to play rather than the appearance of their army.

Walls
02-03-2012, 03:59
I have no problem PLAYING against unpainted stuff. Never said that.. I just don't see how you can promote youtube videos of unpainted armies. You're putting in a ton of work to edit and tape... but play with bare plastic? So weird. Why tape at all? Why not just play and enjoy on your own in your basement/garage/whatever and if/when you have fully painted armies and wanna pursue media, then do it.

Djekar
02-03-2012, 04:55
The way that I look at it, if it is enjoyable to play, then why not share it with other people? So sure, I do youtube reports with unpainted models (I'm looking at your Savage Orcs) and unfinished models (Captain Arachnarok to the rescue!). If that's not your cup of tea then fine, but it does sound kind of elitist.

Walls
02-03-2012, 05:15
It's not elitist if it's a valid opinion. There are a TON of things in everyday life you wouldn't go watch or do with missing pieces. Would you go watch a concert if the band was very obviously lip syncing, but dancing really well? I doubt it.

Lord Dan
02-03-2012, 05:23
I have no problem PLAYING against unpainted stuff. Never said that.. I just don't see how you can promote youtube videos of unpainted armies. You're putting in a ton of work to edit and tape... but play with bare plastic? So weird. Why tape at all? Why not just play and enjoy on your own in your basement/garage/whatever and if/when you have fully painted armies and wanna pursue media, then do it.

Most people create battle reports to showcase the strategy of the hobby, not the painting/modeling aspect of the hobby. Given this they could push around coke cans with Tyranid wings for all I care- they're recording their experience, their thoughts, their decisions, their mistakes, and their triumphs. This is valuable to those of us who only get to play once or twice a month.

MOMUS
02-03-2012, 05:37
Most people create battle reports to showcase the strategy of the hobby, not the painting/modeling aspect of the hobby. Given this they could push around coke cans with Tyranid wings for all I care- they're recording their experience, their thoughts, their decisions, their mistakes, and their triumphs. This is valuable to those of us who only get to play once or twice a month.

My thoughts exactly, i started my own YT channel recently as i dont get to game very often and my LGS is closing down. By posting up each battle i play i hope to get more insight/feedback on the game and rules than if it were just me and my opponent mulling it over after with a pint.

Djekar
02-03-2012, 11:41
It's not elitist if it's a valid opinion. You and I obviously have vastly different working definitions of "elitist". I'm not trying to imply that by being elitist that your opinion on battle reports is invalid.

Also, in my opinion battle reports on youtube (or any other non-professional media like a forum post) is a bit like watching an ameteur band - sometimes everything isn't always in order. Does that make you hail them as the next great thing? Nope. But if they're playing at the bar/establishment of your choice, you're already there and they do a decent job one generally does applaud.

JustAnotherOrc
02-03-2012, 12:41

I'd like to third this. I play twice a month tops and so I live vicariously through all the battle reports. The situations that arise help to broaden my own tactical awareness and rules knowledge of the game systems.
So keep on doing what you've been doing and don't let the negatives get you down because there are people who appreciate your efforts.

Lord Cedric
02-03-2012, 13:56
I have watched a few YT battle reports and I am really astounded at how much work goes into creating one but more importantly, time. When a typical game lasts around 2.5 to 3 hours for a large battle, I can only imagine how long it must run to record it on video and get still shots etc. Some of these people have fulltime jobs, Im certain, and that is a very large (if not all) chunk of time taken out of your after-work hours. And then to take that raw video footage and create a battle report... yep! My hats off to all of you who do this. It is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Also, for the non-painted models conversation; I can see both sides to this. It seems to me, that if the initial Battle Report should happen to showcase up-close each unit then I could see where the models would look more appealing in-video if painted, but more importantly easier to tell what they are on camera. But if the video doesn't do an up-close shot to showcase models and units then I really don't see how that will affect what the overall meaning of a Battle Report is as long as each unit is clearly labeled or described. This is coming from a guy who is perhaps the bane of all painters as I have just now purchased my 12th Warhammer Fantasy army and can only "boast" (haha, right!) 2 armies that are painted.

This is all, of course, my opinion. But perhaps one of the greatest things we can do as Battle Report watchers is watch what interests you and don't watch what doesn't, leaving critiques if asked. This really helps those of us who do watch that particular series from having to sort through non-tactical remarks. I do like those that allow you to ask tactical questions if it wasn't explained in the video which helps me to learn more.

- Lord Cedric

iamjack42
02-03-2012, 15:10
Also, in my opinion battle reports on youtube (or any other non-professional media like a forum post) is a bit like watching an ameteur band - sometimes everything isn't always in order. Does that make you hail them as the next great thing? Nope. But if they're playing at the bar/establishment of your choice, you're already there and they do a decent job one generally does applaud.

Sure, but that doesn't mean you're elitist or that you don't appreciate hard work or anything else if what you want is to see a professional band once in a while. The OP just asked if there were "professional" video battle reports anywhere. Why this became a dramatic defense of "amateur" battle reports is bizarre. If I ask how to get tickets to see a professional band, nobody tells me I'm an unappreciative jerk for not settling for the garage band that plays in the local bar. Why is that the reaction here?

Goldenwolf
02-03-2012, 19:40
Gents,

Try Vidhammer on You tube, the best battle reports I have seen, even if people use some non-tactics and unpainted minis

Djekar
02-03-2012, 21:12
@ iamjack42:
I am trying to imply that one is elitist in my example if, when the amatuer band walks on stage, you get up and leave because they aren't professional enough (like they have a whine of static at the beginning of a set or something, but get it quickly under control). Sorry if that came out wrong - I've been known to fail at communicating before.

I agree with Lord Dan, for me the desire to watch and make reports is the tactical side of things and less the miniatures. I mean, more than half the time I'm just listening anyways, so it doesn't matter much whether or not the models are painted or not. I much more prefer dulcet tones over a sexy army (although a sexy army is nice).

tmarichards
02-03-2012, 21:50
I mean, more than half the time I'm just listening anyways, so it doesn't matter much whether or not the models are painted or not. I much more prefer dulcet tones over a sexy army (although a sexy army is nice).

I believe it has been suggested that I should read audio-books :)

Also, a British accent always add an air of credibility...

vcassano
03-03-2012, 09:13
I believe it has been suggested that I should read audio-books :)

Also, a British accent always add an air of credibility...

Not your British accent... ;)

As it goes, I like that there is a real variety between the different kinds of reports available. Mr Richards' offer probably the most cogent and tactically-considered analysis and feature fully painted armies. Malorian's feature wacky lists and different scenarios. Oncebitten360's are more visually oriented (especially the Bretonnian battles) and he has a soothing voice. There are others too, of course.

I see nothing wrong with saying that you'd prefer for battles to feature fully-painted armies or more interesting armies, but I feel that you also shouldn't expect the battle reporter to oblige. That is their prerogative. By the same token, if you do not like what they do there is nothing wrong with not watching, having offered your feedback. As long as the feedback is presented in a reasonable fashion, of course.

Djekar
03-03-2012, 09:48
I believe it has been suggested that I should read audio-books
I'm waiting for the day you start narrating a Redwall book about talking rats and just blurt out in the middle of a paragraph "F*#K Skaven!". I'd buy that book.

On topic:

stuff I agree with
^ listen to this man, he is very reasonable.

tmarichards
03-03-2012, 09:50
B*****d creatures :(

vcassano
03-03-2012, 11:34
Haha, I hope you aren't offended!

I knew that I had forgotten someone - Brother Maynard. His reports are well done, with beautiful armies and some interesting games.

StygianBeach
03-03-2012, 22:57
I only get to game once per week so I watch ALOT of youtube battle reports and these are some of the best (for fantasy):

Tmarichards
Oncebitten
Smacdeezy
Ogrewargaming
Malorian
MOMUS :angel:

Are you MOMUS on youtube? Link please?

I really enjoy watching youtube battle reports. I always try to add a comment as way of thanks.

In addition to the ones above, I watch

Mobius Primal (Bretonia Pesant army)
Lukeesystem (Vampires/Ogres)
The Thunderhammer (Bretonia)
VaulSC (stopped playing Warhammer but has old vids of Empire/Skaven/Chaos)

I have often asked Malorian for more pics. Sorry if this is has been irritating, I will stop asking now.

OgreWargaming
04-03-2012, 01:22
I appreciate Durloth's request for higher quality bat reps and while the positive feedback is very motivating, the criticism more frequently improves the quality. For example, one useful comment I got early on from Tupinamba has stuck with me, "this is a miniatures game, after all", which I think is more profound than it seems. My take away from Durloth's request is that some viewers have to pause and resume, and so they need more context, whole battlefield shots, round reminders, and possibly brief recaps. Thanks for the feedback.

MOMUS
05-03-2012, 05:43
Are you MOMUS on youtube? Link please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKPNyUKnYGU

Im waiting to upload a few more vids but i currently sound like a troll thanks to flu.

Kayosiv
05-03-2012, 06:02
That explains the lack of activity... Get better soon.