PDA

View Full Version : the cursed book

Khorneflakes
20-02-2012, 18:11
when you cast a spell from the vampire counts magic item, the cursed book, can you add your wizard level as its not a bound item?

T10
20-02-2012, 19:41
The item description covers this.

-T10

Khorneflakes
20-02-2012, 22:00
that didnt really help. thats why im asking

Kayosiv
20-02-2012, 22:21
No, it is cast at the minimum value with 0 modifiers.

Khorneflakes
21-02-2012, 00:37
thank you, that was an answer i was after

shadow hunter
21-02-2012, 20:54
It seems quite cheap for its abilities, i thought maybe it would be a one use only - but doesn't seem to be.

Khorneflakes
22-02-2012, 03:25
havent used it yet but its in my list for my next game this weekend

EDMM
22-02-2012, 03:27
havent used it yet but its in my list for my next game this weekend

Thanks for the update!

I was wondering if you had used it before, and if it was in your list for this weekend, but you answered me before I could even ask!

Khorneflakes
23-02-2012, 03:58
no i hadnt thats why i was questioning it :). ive got it on my 4th level necro, so was curious if you can add his +4 to the casting value

Texhnolyze
23-02-2012, 07:51
no i hadnt thats why i was questioning it :). ive got it on my 4th level necro, so was curious if you can add his +4 to the casting value

No you can't, it's not the wizard casting the spell, its the book. The book does have a wizard level of 0, so you add 0

warplock
23-02-2012, 09:00
The book can't cast any spells, because it has a wizard level of 0. The necromancer can't cast the spells from the book since he does not 'know' them. It's just an item to fill up points whilst buying less models, it doesn't do anything. Saves you from having to buy more skeletons. Also EDMM I have put the item in one of my lists which is saved on my other computer, I think it was a 1,500 point list. I don't have a date for using that list yet though as my army is too small at the moment. I wrote the list in my head whilst eating a fajita, then copied it down afterwards. I attribute my Vampire's set-up to a particularly delicious jalapeno pepper.

T10
23-02-2012, 18:07
No you can't, it's not the wizard casting the spell, its the book. The book does have a wizard level of 0, so you add 0

Wizards with 0 magic levels cannot cast any spells, ref: the rulebook FAQ.

I don't think it is safe to apply a game statistic like "wizard level" to an item. I could just as well insist that it has Toughness 0, and should therefore be removed from play.

GotrekFan
23-02-2012, 19:10
No disrespect intended here, but I've been watching this post & don't see the confusion. I can't think of any spell from the arcane items section that casts a spell while adding the wizards level (although I could be wrong).
It casts a bound spell at a casting value of the lowest version of the spell.
As for value for points you sacrifice up to 3 dice for a spell that may be no good for the situation or may not have the range.
I've used it in 2 games and in the 1st it sucked up 15 dice for 1 spell that was any good, while in the other I got great spells for 1 or 2 dice.
That alone grants it a place in just about every list I write from now on :)

FirestormXL
24-02-2012, 04:32
Yea, this thing is just base value, it's a nifty little thing, unfortunatly the two times I 've actually used it I was against tomb kings and got the facking leadership DnD... WHY!?!?

GotrekFan
24-02-2012, 07:01
Lol, me too. Just as well the Mortis engine was close by to use the scream to make some use of it.