PDA

View Full Version : GW Customer Service - Not As Good As It Was?

Seville
20-02-2012, 19:39
Hey guys. I just got off the phone with GW Customer Service. Basically, I felt that I had received a defective Razorback. It's sort of a long story, but, the plastic appeared to interact with the primer in a really weird way. The plastic itself actually kind of bubbled and became gritty. At first I thought I had just done a poor prime job, but, the other Razorback I primed at the same time didn't have a problem, and when I stripped the vehicle in question with Simple Green, it was revealed that the plastic itself had become gritty, not just the primer. Truly odd, and I had never seen anything like it in my 20 years of doing this.

Anyway, I communicated all of this to the customer service guy, and he seemed really reluctant to replace the product. I can recall a time years ago when I destroyed a vehicle with primer and it was my own fault, and I just casually mentioned it off-handedly to the GW Customer Service guy while I was making an order, and he shipped me out a brand new vehicle, no questions asked. This time, though, it just really seemed like the policy had shifted and I felt I was meeting quite a bit of resistance.

So what's this about? Is it because people abused GW's liberal replacement policy? Have they become more vigilant? Did he perhaps think I had bought this thing on ebay and was stripping it with Simple Green? Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me?

I dunno. It just wasn't the warm-fuzzy GW Customer Service I remember from years ago. The guy I spoke with also didn't seem to be a wargamer... kind of didn't know what I was talking about at times.

Wintermute
20-02-2012, 20:29
Yes GW have tightened their returns policy, but this doesn't mean you should have been treated this way when reporting this problem.

Were you using their own primer and do you still have the kit sprues?

Seville
20-02-2012, 20:45
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I should have mentioned - he did eventually agree to send out a replacement. It's just that he kind of made me feel like a thief trying to score free stuff (which I would NEVER do!!!) I've been a loyal GW customer for about 20 years, and it left kind of a bad taste in my mouth...

Yes, I was using GW's primer. I believe I still have the kit sprues.

The odd thing was that the "Razorback" part of the kit (the turret, armor plate, etc) didn't have this problem. Only the Rhino chassis part.

The bearded one
20-02-2012, 20:51
It might just have been the specific customer service guy you happened to have on the phone, as it sounds rather unreasonable otherwise and not in line with other customerservice stories I've read the past months.

Schmapdi
21-02-2012, 02:07
It might just have been the specific customer service guy you happened to have on the phone, as it sounds rather unreasonable otherwise and not in line with other customerservice stories I've read the past months.

I'd agree with that - I had to go through a few firebellies to get a decent one. The first guy I talked to was super nice and supportive. He was happy to send me a replacement and actually seemed sorry that I had gotten a bad one. The second guy was a little dismissive and "jerkish." He agreed to send me one - but seemed reluctant and suspicious.

Seville
21-02-2012, 02:34

I'd agree with that - I had to go through a few firebellies to get a decent one. The first guy I talked to was super nice and supportive. He was happy to send me a replacement and actually seemed sorry that I had gotten a bad one. The second guy was a little dismissive and "jerkish." He agreed to send me one - but seemed reluctant and suspicious.

Well, this is good to hear. Yes, it certainly could have just been the guy I talked to. He definitely sounded suspicious. By any chance, do you recall if his name started with an "M"? Could be the same guy.

Alright, well, I feel a little better now. I've always felt that GW was the Cadillac of miniature companies, and, at these prices, I certainly expect Cadillac level customer service... although I do admit I was worried that people had begun taking advantage of their liberal replacement policy and perhaps they had begun cracking down.

caddery
21-02-2012, 02:41
It could be that the guy was new also.

GW's return policy is a little different than standard retail, most of the time they ask for the number off of the box and send out a new one. They also record problems and let the other guys on the team know. Could be that you ran into the start of an issue and not all the team members know of yet.

Shamutanti
21-02-2012, 07:07
I know when I took in a model to get it replaced (amusingly it was a metal one, not finecast!) because of a mismould I overheard the staff member explaining what was wrong with it down the phone. Obviously I can only hear half the conversation but he looked quite surprised just before he started detailing down the phone what the the mismould was. I wouldn't of bothered them in store normally, but the customer service guy on the phone had asked me to go into the store and they would fix it (which is kind of odd, because the staffer then had to ring them up anyway!) but I'm guessing they must of had people taking the mickey when it comes to replacements.

Mastodon
21-02-2012, 07:07
GW have tightened up their policy of giving out free stuff, mostly due to the abuse it received from people claiming issues that didnt exist. The model 'melting' is a typical one, also heightened by people stripping things they bought off of ebay incorrectly so its viewed with a lot more suspicion than someone saying they didnt get a sprue in the box.

If you're in the UK, and within a few miles of a store they will now tell you to take it to your nearest GW for a replacement if your problem sounds dodgy, which usually weeds out anyone trying to cheat the system.

However, it sounds like you were just unfortunate to be caught up in that when you have a genuine problem. You should call back to complain.

xxRavenxx
21-02-2012, 07:34
GW have gotten very big on asking people to drop into their local store so the staff can locate the broken/missing part and dish out a new kit as a replacement. (Ie. no free stuff). Its reasonably annoying for me, as my competition in town don't know a bloody thing about returns, so I get people buying from them, then approaching me asking if I'll get the replacement.

paddyalexander
21-02-2012, 08:06
So I need to drop into my nearest gwPLC The Hobby Center TM to get a replacement for the faulty goods you've sold me? The one 300km away? OOkaay, who do I need to talk to about getting a full refund as is my right under the Consumer Protection Act 2007?

stahly
21-02-2012, 08:28
I ever thought the liberal replacement policy I read about here on Warseer was a myth. Maybe a UK only thing. I bought this limited Space Marine sergeant when they opened their new website. The aquila icon from the backpack had broken off, so I wrote Mail Order and thought I'd be just sent a new one. However they asked me to send the sergeant back. When I asked for my shipping costs I got a nebulous reply, I think they would haven given me store credit for my postal charges. In the end I didn't bother and pinned the icon...

xxRavenxx
21-02-2012, 08:33
So I need to drop into my nearest gwPLC The Hobby Center TM to get a replacement for the faulty goods you've sold me? The one 300km away? OOkaay, who do I need to talk to about getting a full refund as is my right under the Consumer Protection Act 2007?

I love how literally people take everything on warseer. Given you don't have a near store (180 miles not being near) they would be likely to just replace yours.

Shamutanti
21-02-2012, 11:17
I love how literally people take everything on warseer. Given you don't have a near store (180 miles not being near) they would be likely to just replace yours.

But that would assume there's some form of common sense involved Raven. And we can't be believing that. Why, they are all just heartless machines. At least that's what I've been told... :P

I've personally never had any problems with the return/exchange/replace system GW has in place and frankly I doubt I ever will. If people are taking the mickey when it comes to faking broken goods then it's fair game if the company wants to be stricter on things.

And if you wanted a refund paddy on something I'm sure they would give it too you. Providing you sent the item back to them of course; because keeping it, apparently broken or not.

6mmhero
21-02-2012, 11:48

Yeah GW are out to screw you as a consumer over............If you mentioned there as no store near you then they would send out a replacement/address the issue. I have never had any problems with the Customer Service guys. As to the OP it is good they sorted it out just a shame they soured your previous experiences.

Sgt John Keel
21-02-2012, 17:19
I ever thought the liberal replacement policy I read about here on Warseer was a myth. Maybe a UK only thing.

No, they've been very good about it for me too, even sending updated replacements for OOP miniatures I bought from indie stores. (Naturally I wasn't overly excited since I bought the OOP miniatures for a reason, but you can't fault their intention.) Pictures do seem to help, though.

Mastodon
21-02-2012, 20:00
If you go back a few years there were certain forums that were telling people batch numbers and product codes to get free land raiders/Valkyries down the phone. Its no wonder GW tightened this up.

Schmapdi
21-02-2012, 20:32
Pictures do seem to help, though.

Really? Every (well, both) times I've sought a replacement I sent pictures to the customer service email address but got a stock reply asking me to call the 800 number to get things sorted. I don't think anybody actually looked at my pics.

Sgt John Keel
21-02-2012, 21:48
Really? Every (well, both) times I've sought a replacement I sent pictures to the customer service email address but got a stock reply asking me to call the 800 number to get things sorted. I don't think anybody actually looked at my pics.

Well, IIRC the US has its own CS department, so I don't think my experiences with the UK CS necessarily are relevant for you.

Seville
21-02-2012, 22:46
Yeah, the guy didn't ask, but, for what it was worth, I did offer to send pictures.

The main thing he kept saying was "we've never heard of that problem before", which is, I think, what made him suspicious. I admit, it is a very weird problem, and one I've never seen or even heard of before myself. But I have to think there was something wrong with the plastic, or perhaps some foreign substance had found its way onto the surface somewhere along the way or something.

librerian_samae
22-02-2012, 06:49
Iv'e had that problem with tau circa their first release, 2 boxes of fire warriors a hammerhead and devilfish to be precise, didn't get in touch with CS and threw the army in a box and haven't looked at it since.

Mastodon
22-02-2012, 07:14
Yeah, the guy didn't ask, but, for what it was worth, I did offer to send pictures.

The main thing he kept saying was "we've never heard of that problem before", which is, I think, what made him suspicious. I admit, it is a very weird problem, and one I've never seen or even heard of before myself. But I have to think there was something wrong with the plastic, or perhaps some foreign substance had found its way onto the surface somewhere along the way or something.

I think thats what it boils down to. You rang them up and explained what happened. Co-incidentally this sounds like what happens when people strip plastic models badly and alarm bells start going off. Now you are completely innocent, but you have to understand they must get dozens of calls a day with people trying to replace stuff they've broken.

-=Lazuli=-
22-02-2012, 18:34
The one time I had to call customer support was when they switch the washes from China to France. My Gryphonne Sephia had an orangish color compared to the sephia color. I emailed them a picture comparing the two both on a model and the bottles. I was asked to call customer support. The first guy I spoke to said they could offer a replacement for it. I told him it was open and I has used some of it on a model before realizing. I was than told that GW wouldn't take it back because they couldn't resell it. I than asked him why he would want to restock a defective product. I was told sorry, we can't replace this. Next guy I called asked me for the number to check the batch and sent me replacement (the link to my Warseer post probably influenced that though ;) ) Might just be the guy you got.

Morkmillian
22-02-2012, 19:45
i sort of agree with the general jist of this thread.

i bought a mangler when it was released in december - and it was horriobly miscast.
i have only been back into the hobby for a couple of years but used to play about 10 - 12 yrs ago.

back then if somthign was wrong they usually give you a replacment and somtimes got to keep the kit with the problem.
so i thought the same would happen with the mangler but even tho i had to pay for a train fare etc to the gw store to get it swapped i wasnt able to keep the crap one (was hopign to convert)

so i basicly paid 10 extra for my product to be how it was supposed to be.
again i wasnt really expecitng much but it woulda been a nice gesture.

i remember back in the day my friend bought a box of dogs of war long jjohn pirate slayer guys (the dwarves)
it was missing the top of the banner pole - so they gave him a whole new box for free and he got to keep the other box.

they should really consider the time / money spent to go instore to get these replaced.

PsyberWolf
22-02-2012, 22:29
I always have found their customer service very accomodating - though it has been about 1-2 years since I bought anything from them. It is very expensive to handle these calls and ship out replacements. I wouldn't be surprised, with the continual cost cutting measures to maintain profit levels, that the return policy will become... give us the defective product and we will send you a new one - in all instances. The result being that many will decide its not worth the hassle and just keep the defective product.

carlisimo
23-02-2012, 02:54
so i thought the same would happen with the mangler but even tho i had to pay for a train fare etc to the gw store to get it swapped i wasnt able to keep the crap one (was hopign to convert)

Personally I think you should've been able to keep the bad one, since you proved to the guy that it was no good. But... given how many people have bragged online about getting free stuff by pretending to have issues, I can understand this change (if it is indeed a GW-wide change).

King Thor
23-02-2012, 03:20
If you go back a few years there were certain forums that were telling people batch numbers and product codes to get free land raiders/Valkyries down the phone. Its no wonder GW tightened this up.

^^ This. It's always a couple of people that ruin it for everyone else. My experience with GW customer service has always been great. Mind you it's only been small models they've replaced, not entire large kits.

Seville
23-02-2012, 06:48
Personally I think you should've been able to keep the bad one, since you proved to the guy that it was no good. But... given how many people have bragged online about getting free stuff by pretending to have issues, I can understand this change (if it is indeed a GW-wide change).

Really?? People brag online about getting free stuff by lying? That is DESPICABLE and SHAMEFUL. I did know one very obnoxious guy at my FLGS a while back who scammed GW out of a Baneblade, which I thought was super crummy, and I let him know it was the same as theft.

I guess GW is in a tough place. On the one hand, they charge Cadillac prices and should offer Cadillac service... on the other, they've got scumbags taking advantage of them. I don't know what the answer is.

Mastodon
23-02-2012, 07:32
i sort of agree with the general jist of this thread.

i bought a mangler when it was released in december - and it was horriobly miscast.
i have only been back into the hobby for a couple of years but used to play about 10 - 12 yrs ago.

back then if somthign was wrong they usually give you a replacment and somtimes got to keep the kit with the problem.

so i basicly paid 10 extra for my product to be how it was supposed to be.
again i wasnt really expecitng much but it woulda been a nice gesture.

i remember back in the day my friend bought a box of dogs of war long jjohn pirate slayer guys (the dwarves)
it was missing the top of the banner pole - so they gave him a whole new box for free and he got to keep the other box.

they should really consider the time / money spent to go instore to get these replaced.

If they let you keep the bad one more people would just complain that their model was defective to get another free one.

blongbling
23-02-2012, 08:50
I always have found their customer service very accomodating - though it has been about 1-2 years since I bought anything from them. It is very expensive to handle these calls and ship out replacements. I wouldn't be surprised, with the continual cost cutting measures to maintain profit levels, that the return policy will become... give us the defective product and we will send you a new one - in all instances. The result being that many will decide its not worth the hassle and just keep the defective product.

no it isn't expensive, the cost is minimal as they are a vertically integrated business. The only real cost is in the postage and they get great rates on that.

xxRavenxx
23-02-2012, 09:40
@Blongbling -

It is expensive when they are defrauded though.

If I get a free tank from them, I won't be buying one. Thats 25 gone as opposed to the pence of plastic. Legitimate replacements are cheap. Free handouts are not. Thusly, taking the damaged items back is a good plan.

AndrewGPaul
23-02-2012, 11:46
It's also what just about every other retailer does. If I buy a faulty kettle or microwave from Currys, I need to take it back to the shop before they give me a new one - I don't get to keep the duff one and try to get it repaired elsewhere.

BobtheInquisitor
23-02-2012, 16:35
I haven't had the same issues. I'm in the US, and customer service has been exceptional for me.

Just this January (or maybe December? I can't recall), I called in to CS because my Marneus Calgar model was missing a piece, one of his shoulder decorations. I usually just bring stuff in to the local Bunker to replace (unless its direct only), but I was watching my son and couldn't get out for a while, so I called them up. I just asked for a replacement piece or the sprue it came on (I would feel bad getting a free replacement since I got Marneus from TheWarstore for 40% off), but they sent me a new box, anyway. They never even asked me to show the defective model at the local Bunker.

This isn't even the first time they've replaced stuff for free over the phone. When I had some dwarf miners with crumbly plastic, they replaced them, too. I still haven't done anything with the crumbly guys (or the near-complete Marneus box), which is why I usually ask for just a replacement part or sprue for the defective item.

Also, the local Bunker has a policy for finecast models that lets the customer keep the defective model if they have to special order the replacement. At least they did when I got my Yakuza von Carstein with the missing fingers.

Jim30
24-02-2012, 12:24
An interesting thread. I recently had to contact Battlefront UKs customer service over some damaged goods, and they instantly sent a replacement pack out, and didnt want to see photos of the damage to prove it was real. It did get kind of embarrasing though when 2 packs of the replacement failed to turn up - somewhere someone in the Royal Mail must be helping themsevles to gamers stuff, because I've not seen these packs since. Finally it turned up recorded delivery - full marks to BF, who by the sounds of things have taken on ex GW staff, and are running a similar policy.

Its always a bit weird asking for replacements - you almost feel guilty, but equally you should have a reasonable expectation of getting a good product. BF's customer service has ensured I'll come back to them.

jack da greenskin
24-02-2012, 16:59
^^ Similar experience with spartan, I had a hair cast into one of my models, but they immediately replaced it (Was only one tiny flier token) and sent me 4 vanguard subs aswell :p

LordBest
25-02-2012, 02:21
On two occassions when I've need replacement kits sent out (metal Incubi missing weapons and a slightly miscast Isabella) I simply explained it wasn't practical for me to get to a GW store and they sent out replacements no questions asked. I did supply pictures both times so there was no doubt. I can't imagine GW demanding you take the faulty kit into a store, but you may need to point out that you can't get to a store before they offer to send it to you.

abaddonseviltwin
04-03-2012, 21:04
So to add some variety to this thread...

I ordered 4 poisoned wind globadiers to be sent to my local store. Unfortunately they were all identical, with three different variants available I was expecting at least two different ones, but secretly hoping for all three. The guy in store told me to give customer service a call and they would send me a few new ones for free. Hooray I thought. Customer service guy wasn't very helpful, pointing out that the packers at mail order weren't hobbiests, and just pick them from the buckets without checking to see if they are different, fair point I suppose but when I pointed out that the models aren't exactly cheap all he could offer was for me to return them to my local store and get them to reorder them and hope for the best.

Not exactly the GW I remember from years gone by, when you would ring up to place an order (because that was how we used to do it before the internet), the guy on the other end would chat for ages, telling you what was coming up soon, and I'd always find the odd extra in the delivery (back when they had the whole bitz back catalogue). How times have changed.

I'm a little old fashioned, I don't expect free stuff, if I were sent some extra globadiers I'd have taken the others back to the store. If you're had a model spoilt because of a bad batch of paint, I think you're more than entitled to keep the old one if you want to, but for those out to scam free stuff shame on you! Last year I had one of the valkyrie vendetta conversion kits, but it had three of one side of the lascannon assembly and only one of the other side. A quick call to FW and I was sent a complete new set free of charge. What happened to the old one... donated to the local GW store for a display (positioned so you can't see the one side properly :)).

AndrewGPaul
04-03-2012, 22:31
While we're sharing anecdotes, I emailed customer services about the poor quality of the 25th anniversary Marine I bought. After not hearing anything for three days, I phoned them up. They had no record of my email (with all the photos I attached, it might have got lost along the way), but they said they'd send me out replacements for the misformed parts. While they're not sending a whole new package (the scenic base was OK, so I'm not getting one of those, and no packaging either), I wasn't asked to send the damaged item back, contrary to my expectations.

Seville
08-03-2012, 21:34
Not exactly the GW I remember from years gone by, when you would ring up to place an order (because that was how we used to do it before the internet), the guy on the other end would chat for ages, telling you what was coming up soon, and I'd always find the odd extra in the delivery (back when they had the whole bitz back catalogue). How times have changed.

Exactly. This is what I miss. I remember these days. You'd call up, have a great chat with a guy who loved the hobby just as much as you did, and then you'd happen to order some stuff, and, oh, by-the-by I got a defective product a few months back - oh really? Well, have a new one on us.

I used to actually enjoy calling GW customer service. But when I called this past time, I got a guy who, like I said, didn't really seem to know much about the hobby and just kind of begrudgingly did his job.

Times have changed :(

librerian_samae
08-03-2012, 21:58
my mate got 2 free bloodbowl teams when he ordered a nid army by phone after their book got done in 3rd, them days were ace.
All I ever got was the odd free blister pack but was still nice.

loveless
08-03-2012, 22:01
I get the feeling I'm going to end up getting to be friends with some of the customer service people now as much as I seem to call for Finecast issues.

I don't think the last guy was very happy about sending me out a replacement Arjac Rockfist, but...jeez, I couldn't work with the detail all missing off of the legs. Then again, maybe he was just frustrated because I went into detail regarding which parts were miscast instead of just saying it was miscast...and I had a long list :p

Of the past 4 Finecast purchases I've made, this is the third one I've had to call on. Same service rep every time, too.

Cxt
08-03-2012, 22:06
When I was in college I renewed my White Dwarf subscription. Guy asked what army I played. Next thing I know I have a free Baal Prediator in the mail. Needless to say I was amazed, and it certainly endeared me to GW. From the sounds of that, those days are gone (I'm sure it cost them a lot [probably postage was more than the model], but it also created customer loyalty, a very strong loyalty).

Seville
08-03-2012, 22:38
When I was in college I renewed my White Dwarf subscription. Guy asked what army I played. Next thing I know I have a free Baal Prediator in the mail. Needless to say I was amazed, and it certainly endeared me to GW. From the sounds of that, those days are gone (I'm sure it cost them a lot [probably postage was more than the model], but it also created customer loyalty, a very strong loyalty).

Totally. Man, those experiences I had with GW made me a die-hard GW fan. Do I like their prices? No. But with the knowledge in the back of my mind that I would get Cadillac level customer service every time no matter what, it made them far more tolerable. I felt like I was paying the prices to be a member of an elite club and it created very strong loyalty with me. Some people have seen me staunchly defend GW on this very site. But, now? I'm not so sure... they seem to have become pretty corporate.

Sgt John Keel
08-03-2012, 23:47
All this talk about Cadillacs: “'e meant Lexus, but he ain't know it”.

Seville
08-03-2012, 23:49
All this talk about Cadillacs: “'e meant Lexus, but he ain't know it”.

It's a figure of speech here in the States.

Sgt John Keel
08-03-2012, 23:54
It's a figure of speech here in the States.

Yeah. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE-uY7P3pe4&t=2m30s

Orrinocco
09-03-2012, 15:12
So to add some variety to this thread...

I ordered 4 poisoned wind globadiers to be sent to my local store. Unfortunately they were all identical, with three different variants available I was expecting at least two different ones, but secretly hoping for all three. The guy in store told me to give customer service a call and they would send me a few new ones for free. Hooray I thought. Customer service guy wasn't very helpful, pointing out that the packers at mail order weren't hobbiests, and just pick them from the buckets without checking to see if they are different, fair point I suppose but when I pointed out that the models aren't exactly cheap all he could offer was for me to return them to my local store and get them to reorder them and hope for the best.

I remember about 10 years ago going to GW in Nottingham with a big shopping list. I wanted to make sure I got the different variants of some Mordheim and Bloodbowl figures that you couldn't gurantee via mail order. I specified to the shop guy that I wanted one of each sculpt. I still got given multiples of the same sculpt and when I queried I was told it wasn't possible. SO theres not really much of a change AFAICS

Hrw-Amen
14-03-2012, 22:41
The diference with a faulty kettl though is that you are not likely to use it for anything else, so takng it back is not something you mind. I think with GW kits people have the tradition of conversions, so even a miscast tank part can be put to use as a bit of battle damaged scenic stuff, if nothing else. You are hardly going to want a battle damaged kettle sitting in the kitchen.

I can see GWs point of view with taking stuff back though as this is what most retailers do. It is just a pain when the nearest store is so far away and they will not accept any alternative, (Which is what I had the last time I had something.) there are no guidlines it seems on how far is too far to be expected to take something back? I had a 70 mile round trip which due to circumstances at the time I just could not make. Really they wee not helpful at all and just refused to replace my item unless I took it to a store.

In the past (Many years back.) they have just replaced stuff, but I guess as others have said, this has been abused. Shame but then there you go.