PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves Tournament List - 2500 pts. Need Help/Advice

Jakk
20-02-2012, 21:25
Hello,

I am working on my tournament list for 2500 point games. This is my first tournament Dark Elves list for 8th edition, and I am still getting used to competitive warhammer in 8th ed.

Here's the list:

Lords:
Dreadlord on Dark Stead
Crown of Command, Pendent of K, Dragon Helm

Supreme Sorceress
Lvl. 4 Shadow Wizard, Sacrificial Dagger

Heroes:
Sorceress
Lvl 2 Fire Wizard, Dispel Scroll

Hag
Cauldron of Blood, Battle Standard Bearer

Core:
20 Warriors
Full Command, Banner of Discipline

30 Corsairs
Full Command, Frenzy Banner

13 Repeater Crossbowmen
Musician

Special:
9 Shades
8 Shades

Rare
Hydra
Hyrda

Jakk
20-02-2012, 21:26
PS I need help with cutting the list to 2400 and 2000 point levels.

Jakk

Dirty Mac
20-02-2012, 23:28
Your list lacks heavy hitters, everything apart from the Hydras is S3.
Also have a look around this site for other army lists at the same points values, because in the last week , there have been about 10 DE army lists posted.
Also read the tactica which is here.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?263677-Tactica-Dark-Elves-in-8th-edition
(http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?263677-Tactica-Dark-Elves-in-8th-edition)
But with that out of the way, This is a 2400 point list I wrote for a guy 2 days ago, I think it is solid, so you should have a look at it.

Here is the list I would run, (With Explanations )

2400 Pts - Dark Elves Roster

Death Hag (Battle Standard Bearer), 225 pts Cauldron of Blood

This unit is awesome, it has a Buff range of 24" Khainite units become stubborn, if within 12" , It is hard to kill, I have never lost it ever.

Sorceress, 160 pts Level 2 Fire
Dispel Scroll , the lvl 2 is a scroll caddie, a PD/DD channel attempt, and Fire ball draws out DD, and Dispel scrolls.

Supreme Sorceress, 315 pts General; Level 4 Shadow
Sacrificial Dagger
Pearl of infinite Bleakeness
Ironcurse Icon

Lvl 4 for obvious choices, Sac dagger gets you that extra power die, and the pearl make her AND the unit ITP, your lvl 4 will never flee off the board from shooting or miscasts.

6 Shades, 102 pts Extra Hand Weapon

6 Shades, 102 pts Extra Hand Weapon

Shades are great, for lots of reasons, if you want more details just ask, but, a 2.4k 2 units of 6 will do. you can put them in the enemy deployment, or you can use them on your own flanks to prevent fast cav from getting in behind your lines.

War Hydra, 175 pts , One of these is enough I think, Most people can easily kill them, so killing 2 won't be much harder.

10 Cold One Knights, 370 pts FC
Dread Knight
Ring of Hotek
Banner of Hag Graef (Always Strike First) these guys are great, they don't panic, they have a 2+ AS they are S6 on the charge and they are the perfect delivery system for the ring of hotek, because a 14" march means you can get out of the way of your own wizards.

20 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen, 235 pts Mus; Std , shields, These guys are the bunker for your Lvl 2, DE shooting is actually pretty good, this unit will pump out 40 shots a turn, provided they don't die, they are pretty decent combat troops when it comes to the crunch too.

21 Black Ark Corsairs, 270 pts FC
Sea Serpent Standard
Corsairs aren't too bad, they are just a bit better than spearmen, be they are good recipients for Mindrazor, they can be re-directed, but try not to put them too far out on the flanks.

20 Dark Elf Warriors, 161 pts (Standard Bearer Std; Shield;
Banner of Swiftness

The bunker for your lvl 4, The banner of Swiftness means you can march 12" in to better range for your spells, They hardly see combat so LD is not an issue, don't need the War banner or standard of discipline, and they won't panic either.

18 Black Guard, 280 pts (Warrior Elite; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std;
Banner of Murder

These guys are the reason I trimmed your list, Fielding these guys will make all the difference.
You now have a S4 unit that is stubborn ITP, and will re-roll to hit every round vs any opponent.

Bless them with the 5+ save from the cauldron, and they can do some real damage.

Total Roster Cost: 2395

tmarichards
21-02-2012, 04:08
I'm really not a fan of double hydra, I think they're too easy to deal with to be the most competitive option.

Jakk
22-02-2012, 10:14
Thank you for the responses. This is some good advice.

@Dirty Mac: Thank you for the suggested list. How effective are cold one knights in combat? Can they really break a unit on the charge or afterwards without a support character involved? Or are you just using them to hose wizards with the Ring of Hotek? Can they really smash face in combat? I have not had much experience with the current edition, but I get the feeling they will struggle to break large blocks of skaven or even regular troop blocks. And, how about your shades? Is giving them the extra hand weapon really that effective? My experience with shades in 7th edition has taught me they are best used for shooting than combat, since they excel at it. Also, are you fielding the corsairs at a unit size of 21 in horde formation? That could lay some serious smack-down with a mindrazor and a boost from the cauldron. Also, what is your formation for the Black Guard? Is it 6 wide and three deep at 18?

@tmarichards Can you please elaborate why hydras are now easy to deal with? They are T5 and 5W with a 4+ save and regen. That is pretty tough in my opinion. What would you recommend instead of the Hydras?

Thank you,

Jakk

tmarichards
22-02-2012, 11:23
The issue I find with hydras is that there's too many people going around with lore of Fire/Metal/Shadow/Death/Light, too many war machines and too much S4 flaming combat or shooting. They're still very good if they can get into combat, but I found that a lot of times mine was getting killed before I got to move it, let alone got into combat. I ran over how my hydra did in the last 18 games I used it in, and I think it only got into combat in around 5 of them.

I also just don't think they're that essential, they add a lot of combat punch but then again so do a lot of other units. Instead of them, I'd be inclined to get in a unit of Black Guard and then a couple of other bits.

Also, the Dreadlord could really do with a magic weapon. The last thing you want is him getting tied up by something ethereal.

Dirty Mac
22-02-2012, 19:42
Yes knights are good, The are WS 5. with the ASF banner they re-roll every round thanks to I6 They are ITP, St6 on the charge.
They have a 2+ AS, you can bless them with a 5+ ward putting a Dread Lord in there can be good too. Obviously Horde armies are going to be hard to break, slam them in the flanks if you can.

Corsairs are 7x3, and BG can go 6x3, or even 7 wide if you want. shades are actually good in combat, the extra attack can save the day sometimes. charging the shades in to a flank to hold them there to protect you own troops will probably save you one day. 5 extra attacks could make the difference between winning and loosing combat.

Jakk
22-02-2012, 22:11
Cold Ones sound like a winner. Think I should take a unit of ten or so instead of the two hydras since I already have a unit of Black Guard?

Dirty Mac
23-02-2012, 05:49
Put a dreadlord in there with Crimson death, Crown of command, Pendant of Khaleth, and a charmed shield. a unit of 10 or 12 would be good.

Capt._Jaelinek
24-02-2012, 05:34
Crimson Death is a two-handed weapon, so the shield is only good vs. shooting. His armor and ward save should protect him. I'd take the dragon helm instead and definitely a magic weapon as suggested by tmarichards.

Pit of Shades and other initiative test magic is brutal against hydras. The rest of the DE army is I5 or better.

Do you really need a lvl2 scroll caddy? A level 1 is good since you just want fireball.

hazmiter
24-02-2012, 10:08
Learning from this.
If I may....
Wouldn't it be a good idea for a dreadlord to join blackguard...... W the crimson death.

tmarichards
24-02-2012, 10:10
Dreadlords on foot are just too expensive for what they do- you're looking at least a 250pt investment (which is 200pts you have to find from elsewhere) which adds 4 attacks... alternatively, for 17pts more, you could get a full unit of 20 Black Guard with a musician.

They're just not worthwhile unless they're mounted.

hazmiter
24-02-2012, 10:56
I'm looking at a dreadlord who just won't quit.
I'll give that a whiz and see what happens, odds are it will get infernal gatewayed to hell.
Much of the suggestions given to the op, I have squeezed into my list too......

Jakk
29-02-2012, 09:58
Thanks guys, this is good discussion. Will be posting a revised list soon.

Jakk

hazmiter
29-02-2012, 10:53
Note, blackguard crumple without support :(
It hurt too. Cauldron of blood ward save made them last longer, but frenzied tzentch warriors w extra hand weapon hurt like hell.