PDA

View Full Version : a theme but no army.

inq.serge
25-04-2006, 17:28
edit, i close this thread !

a battlefield in not the right place for a circus.

-------------------------------------------------

hi, most people have themed armies, and some have armies without themes, but i have a theme, but no armie.

i want to have a circus theme (yes, i've seen waaaaaaaaaghling bros. circus, i'm not copying them!).

to make a real circus, you must have following stuff, if theres a lack of them, then its not a circus!

circus-must-have list
1.leader
2.clowns (the most important)
3.animals

these three things are compulsary to make a circus!

i like circuses, im born next to a circus, i have lived around 6-10 years in circuses (im 16-17 years old right now), im a circus-human, and i know circus.

i cant chose an army to have the theme.
im thinking of eighter a ogre circus army with, i.e. giant clowns and rhinox riders and living (gnoblar) cannonballs, or a gobbo army with lots of clowns and a giant clown juggeling with gobbos, and wolgf riders and doom divers.
or maybe an high elf circus with wizards and clowns and animals.

the most important thing is clowns. so no evil armies, scince all clowns are more good and less evil then angels (with exeption of mcdonald, but he is not a real clown). and if someone says that clowns are bad and evil, then i will get realy uppset.( note: only because a dude has make-up and a red nose doesent meen that he is a clown, and theres a lot of wannabes. a clown is a skilled entertainer who can do stuff ordinary humans can't, and be funny at the same time).

so what army (may be any non evil army , not only those i mentioned) should i play, why, who will be what, what army?

Chiron
25-04-2006, 17:32
sorry but clowns are EVIL! look at the grins, they're clearly up to something...

I would recommend Chaos for this, you can look at the carnival of chaos list for ideas and you've good options for using the different troop types to fill in for clowns/beasts

Chiron
25-04-2006, 17:40
gladly, clowns are creepy as hell

http://www.doggerel.com/donnah/SarasotaArtLover.jpg

Bingo the Fun Monkey
25-04-2006, 17:41
Strigoi Flying Circus with strigany circus troupe of ghouls. The black coach's uses are obvious (ala mordheim coach).

inq.serge
25-04-2006, 17:44
i can't see any conection between vampires and clowns.
my army will have real clowns and not ugly stupid clown-wanabees

TKitch
25-04-2006, 17:45
I'm stuck with Empire, honestly.

add bits like 'human' canonballs with a halfling hotpot!

asmodai650
25-04-2006, 18:05
Ogre Kingdoms?

Little goblins being carried off by balloons, a lion tamer, female ogre as a bearded lady, a giant as a .....giant!, lead belchers armed with giant selzter cannons. I see a lot of fun potential with this list. Each ogre is big enough to paint detailed clown faces on, and definetly have the ogre wizard running a cotton-candy stand instead of a butchers table! Not to mention it's the exact opposite of the always ticked-off Ogres.

No matter which you choose, definetly post pictures!

McMullet
25-04-2006, 18:16
How abiout wood elves? They all dance and stuff anyway, it's not far from being circus performers. You could have glade riders stood up balancing on the back of their horses, all the foot troops could wear clown masks or makeup. The human cannonball thing wouildn't work, of course.

Alex Under
25-04-2006, 18:21
I'd personaly go for Chaos (Nurgle to be precise, being a "funny grandad" kind of God as described he is known amongst his followers as Father Nurgle and similar names). The Mordheim minis are just perfect. The vampire idea is cool also (what about the "Theatre des Vampires" from Interview with a Vampire? Ok, it's more theatrical than comical but black humour was a part of their act).

If you still want to go for a less evil approach, I'd say that the Ogre idea is just fine. On top of that, Ogres are errant creatures, so there you have the fluff for them being a circus that goes from town to town. Easy convertions too, model round noses with green stuff, add colourful wigs (you could use painted cotton once the rest of the mini is painted, or if you live in a circus, I'm sure you can pinch a bit of fluff (no pun intended) off a real clown wig). Stick gnoblars into the leadbelcher's cannons and as asmodai has referred to, the bearded lady, the lion tamer and the giant are just great to fit in.

By the way, please give the tyrant a big black hat and post pics if you complete this project. Good Luck!

inq.serge
25-04-2006, 18:50
yeah, i like the ogres, but i want a clown-giant juggeling with gnobblars, and acrobatic rhinox-riders. the wood elfs and the empire aren't bad eighter.

AllTheWayUlthwe
25-04-2006, 18:55
Why not an empire CIRCUS themed army?

You can make all of the models CLOWNS if you want. I had visions of clown handgunners. They could be holding the rifles with little flags comming out the end with the words BANG or BOOM on them. Or you can have them holding the rifles all sorts of funny ways. Clown Flagellants with balloon flails. Clown cavalry with them being in little shriner cars or in wheel barrows.

Granted this would be a awful lot of converting but in the end you would have a fun looking army without the DARK Scary side of the previous comments.

My 2 cents.

Lostanddamned
25-04-2006, 19:20
I like the idea of the Ogre circus, with a good bit of fluff it could be seemingly completely normal, but with a dark hint to it..

What goes into the cotton candy.

metallegion
25-04-2006, 20:23
because everyone knows that circuses steal little children..duh!!! (just kidding)

Ogre army is an evil theme.. they are all about eating their enemies.

I think the Empire theme woulf be the best. You have cannons.. Just paint your army to be clown and you can also have a DOW Giant. If they bring back the war wagon.. then you will have everything!! ;)

asmodai650
25-04-2006, 21:03
I was actually trying to make the Ogres come across funny. Knoblars are funny to me no matter what they're doing!

Oh, how about chariots converted into the carts that haul the animals into the arena. Better yet, make a big-top display board to put your army onto.

Aeschylus
25-04-2006, 23:14
Tell me,:(

Why should a circus have a dark hint!:mad:

Um. Because a battlefield is no place for a normal circus?

Generally speaking, sane clowns don't don their floppy red shoes for combat.

Zerstoren
25-04-2006, 23:41
Er, yes, precisely. Why is an army of totally pure, clean, clowns with absolutely no evil tint what soever going to be doing on the battlefield?

Commanderxenos
25-04-2006, 23:52
No Race is trully evil, well other than Dark Elves. But clowns can be evil, I mean look at the one from spawn...
http://spawn.home.sapo.pt/Images/Movie_Clown_2.jpg

Now that was an Evil Clown.. But why no use the Carnival of Chaos models from Mordheim, and use them in a circus army. I know, a carnival is not a circus, but the models still have the look to them, even if they are a little disease ridden and moldy.

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=303622&orignav=300816&GameNav=300808

Cpt. Drill
25-04-2006, 23:54
Carnival of chaos....

Trunks
26-04-2006, 00:19
Tell me,:(

Why should a circus have a dark hint!:mad:

Have you never seen or read Stephen King's "It"?

Mad Makz
26-04-2006, 01:41
Personally, I think the Ogre Circus would be the best option.

I mean, you already have a Lion Tamer in the list (The Hunter)

You have another large creature, the Rhinox

Gnoblars are just funny anyway, and fit perfectly into a circus theme, some could be trapese artists etc.

Ogres are renowned for travelling, as are Circuses.

The conversion opportunities are awesome.

Leadbelchers could make awesome clowns with giant 'streamer' guns.

Your Iron Guts could be the archetypal 'strongmen' of the circus with their big hammers etc.

Plus all your units would be cool and uniqe Dogs of War to mix with any other armies you have.

He Who Laughs
26-04-2006, 01:55
I think Mad Makz has summed it up nicely - Ogres fit all into the theme - and the bonus is you've got larger facial areas to paint on clown-faces.

That, and a Fairy-Floss wielding Butcher is just ****-funny. I mean, you could even give his Gastromancy spells different names, and model up different "remain-in-play" counters for him as well ie Toothcracker = Rocky Candy and Trollguts = Dagwood Dogs (they're just as hard as Trollguts to keep down :D )

Goodluck with it, I'm sure the army will look great - and really original!

snurl
26-04-2006, 08:02
dont forget pie throwers

inq.serge
26-04-2006, 15:10
Have you never seen or read Stephen King's "It"?
stephen king should get executed for making an evil clown, in my eyes it's super-racism.

the spawn clown doesn't look like a real clown, i maybe should post pics of real clown and wannabees so you people would learn.

i think i go ogres, and scince im going to make them of gs/ white clay, they would look nice.

metallegion
26-04-2006, 16:01
Ogres = evil clowns! ;)

Trunks
26-04-2006, 19:10
Dogs of War would be a great choice as well.

Duellists could be circus knife throwers.

Light Cavalry can be your acrobatic people on horseback.

Norse Marauders can be circus strongmen.

Ogres can be everything people said about Ogres previously.

The Cannon and Hotpot can easily be circus things.

I think Dogs of War is going to give you more options in the long run. You can use most of the Ogre Kingdom's book as special choice in this army anyway. They even brought out a Gnoblar DOW unit if you want Gnoblars.

Astragoth
27-04-2006, 15:13
i'm making an ogre evil clown army complete with clownzilla.
i've been thinking about this for awile.

cookiescrumble
27-04-2006, 15:51
Don't have a clue! Maybe a Tzeentch chaos army mainly because of the bright colours involved.

inq.serge
27-04-2006, 17:46
only because a dude has make up, fluffy hair, big shoes, red nose etcetera doesen't meen that he's a clown.

it can, and most times will, be a wannabee.

if i'll see a wannabee, then i'll ask him, "what are you?"
he'll most likely will answer "a clown, don't you see?"
and i'll answer back "i can see make-up and a red nose, but no clown."

remember, a clown is not a thing you see on the outside, it's something someone is inside.

while beutty is something you see on the outside, not the inside.

the inside of most beuttyfull people is bloddy, gorey, discusting, ugly and filled with guts.

TeddyC
27-04-2006, 18:36
i can't see any conection between vampires and clowns.
my army will have real clowns and not ugly stupid clown-wanabees

You wont find any connection between any armies and clowns!

Best bet would be to go for something like Skaven.

You can have all the animals you need there, If clowns are emant to be these skilled entertainers use assassins...

Remember you dont have to use the models or back ground... just the rules...

(eg. ive heard of armies of angels using daemonic leigon rules)

Chiron
27-04-2006, 21:51
the inside of most beuttyfull people is bloddy, gorey, discusting, ugly and filled with guts.

erm... all beautiful people I should hope... otherwise I'm scared...

TeddyC
27-04-2006, 22:18
stephen king should get executed for making an evil clown, in my eyes it's super-racism.

the spawn clown doesn't look like a real clown, i maybe should post pics of real clown and wannabees so you people would learn.

i think i go ogres, and scince im going to make them of gs/ white clay, they would look nice.

I hope you just forgot the LOL after uber racism...

I cant abide Clowns... I just find them a bit creepy...

Neknoh
27-04-2006, 22:26
Go for Wood Elves, for the animals, use Treekin as Lions and/or bears (depending on the time period your circus is from).
You have acrobats in the Wardancers, horsemasters in both Wildriders and Gladeriders. Clowns with pies and watercannons in your Glade Guard and Scouts.
For Treeman, you could use an Elefant and for Dryads, you could use a Houndmistress with a LOT of poodles.

But, face it, if a circus would go to war, it wouldn't be good and friendly, your Clowns could well be armed with bows and those Bears/lions would surely NOT dance.
As for King's evil clown, worth noting is that a lot of children are actually scared of clowns, why, I do not know, just that I think it's arround 60 or so precent that are scared of the funniest and probably most skilled of all circus entertainers

squeekenator
27-04-2006, 23:00
Ogres are your best bet, for the aformentioned reasons. I mean, come on! Ogres with red noses would just be so funny to look at!

corvo
28-04-2006, 02:59
The Ogres idea sounds great. A circus of massive clowns that are coming to eat you, nice. When those clowns smile, it isn't a good thing.

Ties in well with the fluff of the Ogres stealing eastern (forgot how to spell the country's name) children.

Personally, I would go for the Nurgle carnival, with both mortal and demonic units, lead by a great unclean one. How can it be any other way?

One quick point to make, clowns are not a race, ergo, not liking clowns isn't racist.

Lab Monkey
28-04-2006, 15:43
I have a question for you... what is it you have against clows being a tad evil? Are you a clown yourself? and RACISM? Clowns aren't a race!

And gamewise an army of clowns it seems odd to. I mean it's WARhammer, not make-little-children-laugh-hammer! You won't score any victory points by making your opponent go "OMG WTF that is teh funnaaay!!11!11".... unless you can make 'em laugh to death....

speedygogo
29-04-2006, 08:22

Clown racism? I think I have heard it all. I personally hate clowns and think that they are all evil and damn annoying too. However, you circus idea sounds cool and Ogres would work well with the them. Since you are planning lots of greenstuff figures, the small amount of models in an ogre army makes them an even better choice for your army theme.