PDA

View Full Version : Another "count as" question...

CutThroatRazor
24-02-2012, 22:22
I am a couple clicks away from ordering a massive amount of Tau stealth suits. I love the models and I have an idea that I just cant shake...

The models are roughly the same size a terminators...I am considering using them as a counts as deathwing list. I could model them so that there is absolutely no question as to what is what...

They are stealthed models and heavily armored (more so than fire warriors and not too far off from crisis suits) so explaining the saves wouldnt be that bad. On the table they will look amazing!

What do you think? I can make this work! My only concern is tournament play but I think for the most part I will be ok.

Opinions please!

wyvirn
24-02-2012, 22:30
I don't really see a problem with it, especially if you make it clear what they are and that you aren't deliberately trying to abuse the latest codex. Having a uniformed, fully painted army with the stealth suits with that paint scheme goes a long way to deflect those accusations.

carlisimo
24-02-2012, 22:52
It'd be helpful if you provide a chart showing the Tau weapons and wargear, and which Terminator weapons you're pretending they represent.

Charistoph
24-02-2012, 22:59
Stealth Suits with TLC, TH/SS, SB, PF, and Cyclone Missile Launchers?

Crazy.

Are they actually the same base size?

Eddie Chaos
24-02-2012, 23:10
I wouldn't argue but plenty of people will

CutThroatRazor
25-02-2012, 00:08
Stealth Suits with TLC, TH/SS, SB, PF, and Cyclone Missile Launchers?

Crazy.

I plan on keeping it pretty simple. I dont plan on using thunderhammer/storm shields or lightning claws. Everything will be simple and easy to understand. All the weapons will come from the Tau sprues.

Clang
25-02-2012, 00:13
Put them on 40mm bases. And draw up a nice chart showing what each Tau weapon counts-as.

Personally I'd go further and modify each weapon to look a bit more like what it counts as, thus helping justify why it doesn't count-as a normal Tau codex weapon.

Wishing
25-02-2012, 00:15

My impression is that they are not on the same base sizes, and unless you plan on rebasing all the stealth suits, this issue is probably the biggest hurdle you'll encounter when trying to convince people to play against the army.

ForgottenLore
25-02-2012, 00:51
Th suits come with 25mm bases, not 40mm, but they are a tight fit on them. Putting them on 40mm would not look at all unusual.

I'm curious what the rest of your army is going to look like because I think just Tau stealth suits mixed in with bog standard tac marines will look fairly odd.

CutThroatRazor
25-02-2012, 01:06
Th suits come with 25mm bases, not 40mm, but they are a tight fit on them. Putting them on 40mm would not look at all unusual.

I'm curious what the rest of your army is going to look like because I think just Tau stealth suits mixed in with bog standard tac marines will look fairly odd.

No marines! Just tau models... This will be a "counts as" Deathwing. I will focus on the stealth suits first. I may convert some drones to count as a dev squad or two. With the Dev Squad (drones) I can use drones on the 25mm bases and convert two of the drones with missile pods. I can use the Tau Piranha as landspeeders, if I want to go that route.

My conversions will be clean and obvious. I will point it out ahead of time or have a chart for my opponent. All models will be based on the correct base for the army/models they count as.

I will be painting them to look as though they are phasing in and out of their camo. I feel that will better explain the improved save and invulnerable save.

I can not stop thinking about this. I think this is a great idea and I feel that it will look beautiful on the table.

Keep the opinions coming. Thanks!

endless
25-02-2012, 03:19
No marines! Just tau models... This will be a "counts as" Deathwing. I will focus on the stealth suits first. I may convert some drones to count as a dev squad or two. With the Dev Squad (drones) I can use drones on the 25mm bases and convert two of the drones with missile pods. I can use the Tau Piranha as landspeeders, if I want to go that route.

My conversions will be clean and obvious. I will point it out ahead of time or have a chart for my opponent. All models will be based on the correct base for the army/models they count as.

I will be painting them to look as though they are phasing in and out of their camo. I feel that will better explain the improved save and invulnerable save.

I can not stop thinking about this. I think this is a great idea and I feel that it will look beautiful on the table.

Keep the opinions coming. Thanks!

Where is deathwing? I try to keep out of this sort of stuff, but really? If you want to play Tau, play Tau.

CutThroatRazor
25-02-2012, 03:41
Where is deathwing? I try to keep out of this sort of stuff, but really? If you want to play Tau, play Tau.

You try but obviously fail...

I have Tau and I have Deathwing.

Seeing how I have both armies and can buy more, I want to play a count as Deathwing. The Tau codex does not allow me to field a full army of stealth suits BUT a count as Deathwing army does.

Its pretty simple really...

Draconis
25-02-2012, 03:49
Put them on 40mm bases. And draw up a nice chart showing what each Tau weapon counts-as.

Personally I'd go further and modify each weapon to look a bit more like what it counts as, thus helping justify why it doesn't count-as a normal Tau codex weapon.

This is almost too easy... the burst cannons can be assault cannons. Fusion/meltas. You can put missle pods where the guns go and those become cyclone missile launchers.

ForgottenLore
25-02-2012, 05:10
I was thinking a smart missile system drone flying above the suit (attached to the same base) as the cyclone launcher. That way you reinforce the Tau look while still being crystal clear what is what and not unduly cluttering the model. Also , the drone can easily be made removable so you can choose whether they are equipped with missiles or not.

Lord Damocles
25-02-2012, 08:57
The Tau codex does not allow me to field a full army of stealth suits BUT a count as Deathwing army does.

You could make an army of counts-as Stealthsuits using Codex: Tau Empire just as easily as you could using Codex: Dark Angels, with the added benefit that your Stealthsuit models are actually Steathsuits rules-wise.

Counts-as Shadowsun as Shas'el
Steathsuits as Stealthsuits
Classic Stealthsuits (XV-22(?)) as Fire Warriors
Other stuff as other stuff (you can use the stealthy/scouty stuff (Pathfinders, Piranahs, Tetras etc.) as what it actually is)

You also then don't have to try and justify why you're Tau are now WS/BS/4, S8, Fearless etc. as well.

Draconis
25-02-2012, 14:21
all he's doing is playing a SM army and using a skin mod. I'd have no problem playing against it and it irks me as to why others would. its his time and money, all your doing is looking at different skins.

Also, he woudln't need to explain why his tau are S8, fearless and all that. He's playing SM rules.

Lord Damocles
26-02-2012, 11:17
all he's doing is playing a SM army and using a skin mod.
Yes, thank you, I'm aware how counts-as works.

I was highlighting the fact that a counts-as Deathwing army isn't somehow magically better at allowing a full Stealthsuit army than the actual Tau codex is.

I'd have no problem playing against it and it irks me as to why others would. its his time and money, all your doing is looking at different skins.
So when someone asks the opinion of people on a discussion forum, everyone should just agree that it's the best idea since sliced bread, regardless of their actual views?
What would be the point of even bothering to ask the initial question then?

Also, he woudln't need to explain why his tau are S8, fearless and all that. He's playing SM rules.
And yet the original post tries to justify [some of] the stat changes...

Chrisb3
26-02-2012, 11:27
I don't understand why you would do this, except to give your Tau better stats.

If you honestly want to do this for a fluff reason, you would be better off using the right codex and doing something to your troop choices.

Dylius
26-02-2012, 13:51
I wouldn't have a problem with it - I agree with Draconis: it's exactly the same as playing against Space Marines, they just look different.

madprophet
26-02-2012, 14:00
all he's doing is playing a SM army and using a skin mod. I'd have no problem playing against it and it irks me as to why others would. its his time and money, all your doing is looking at different skins.

Quite true - As with all "counts as" just so long as it's clear what weapon is what and what mini represents what unit we are good to go and roll some dice

MajorWesJanson
26-02-2012, 16:29
Weapon ideas-
Stealthsuit burst cannons as storm bolters
Crisis Suit burst cannons as assault cannon
Crisis suit flamers as heavy flamers
SMS drone as Cyclone launcher
Crisis suit shield generator as storm shield

No idea for TLLC or Thunderhammers though.

Wishing
26-02-2012, 23:28

And this cuts to the core of why some people like counts-as and others don't. Your statement above suggests that to you, the proposed army isn't a Tau army, it's just an odd looking Marine army. Somehow I feel that that's not how the OP sees it - I imagine that he sees it as a Tau army that just has different stats than other Tau. You can of course also ignore the question entirely and say that it's neither a Tau nor a Marine army, but a collection of coloured plastic with no identity.

None of the views above are right or wrong, but they are *very* different, and will therefore engender very varied responses depending on who you play/ask.