PDA

View Full Version : Magic - Casting spells - newbie question

nix
25-04-2006, 20:16
So I am new to WHFB and I thought the BRB was pretty clear on how magic works. I have seen a couple of posts that led me to doubt what I had read, so I figure I would ask here.

The way that I read the rules indicates that casting works as follows:

1. generate power dice for spells
2. pick a wizard to start with, pick a spell, and choose the number of dice up to the maximum allowed by the wizards level.
3. cast spell, and pick more dice if the wizard has more than 1 spell.
4. Move to next wizard and repeat.

So, in a situation where I have 2 wizards, both level 2, it would work like this.

Generate power dice - 6 dice.
Wizard 1 - first spell, pick 1 dice to cast, cast spell
Wizard 1 - second spell, pick 2 dice to cast, cast spell
Wizard 2 - first spell, pick 1 dice to cast
Wizard 2 - second spell, pick 1 dice to cast

At this point, I am done. I cannot cast any more spells. I also cannot re-cast any spells that I have already cast.

Is this accurate?

Major Defense
25-04-2006, 21:21
Close. You don't have to cast all spells from one wizard before switching to another.

nix
25-04-2006, 21:30
So even though I can never cast more spells than a wizard has (each wizard can cast each spell 1 time per turn), I do not have to do wizards in order, but can bounce back and forth?

Hmm, that could make things interesting.

Keller
25-04-2006, 21:46
So even though I can never cast more spells than a wizard has (each wizard can cast each spell 1 time per turn), I do not have to do wizards in order, but can bounce back and forth?

Hmm, that could make things interesting.

Correct. You can cast from any mage at any time in the magic phase. The exception is Tomb Kings, who do have a specific order for their incantations.

Tarax
28-04-2006, 17:12
Another exception is the O&G Magic Item 'Ditto's Double Doin' Doodah's' which allows you to cast the same spell twice with that Shaman.

Also note that some 'Remains in Play'-spells will stop working if you cast another spell with the same wizard. Just look at the spells description for more details.