PDA

View Full Version : Land Raider Variants

dangermouse425
27-02-2012, 19:43
I have an old knackered Land Raider from an eBay lot. It was pretty much delegated to be scenery, but I've decided to use it as a bit of a hobby project.

My questions are:

1. Are there any Land Raider variants without sponsons?

2. Is there a list of which Imperial Armour books contain the rules for each of the FW IA variants? (Non-Apocolypse).

AndrewGPaul
27-02-2012, 20:44
1) No. However, one old Chaos Land Raider from Epic 40,000 mounted the lascannons in a turret on top of the hull: http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a53/23skdu/Epic%20Chaos%202/?action=view&current=DSCN0937.jpg

2) There are four Forge World-only variants of the Land Raider; the Helios (with Whirlwind multi-launcher), Prometheus (with quad heavy bolter sponsons) and the Achilles (with Thunderfire cannon). The first two are in Imperial Armour volume 2: Space Marines and Forces of the Inquisition, with updated rules in this PDF document (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/i/IA2update28AUG.pdf). The Achilles is in Imperial Armour volume 10: The Badab War part 2. The Grey Knights Land Raider Redeemer is in Imperial Armour volume 7: The Siege of Vraks part 3.

Sons of Lorgar
28-02-2012, 18:19
There are actually five, you forgot the newly re-modeled proteus pattern pre-heresy Land Raider without the assault ramp

All Cing Eye
28-02-2012, 21:17
Land Raider Versions

Godhammer w/twinlinked lascannon sponsons
Crusader w/hurricane bolters
Redeemer w/flamestorm flamers
Terminus Ultra w/3 twinlinked and 2 single lascannons
Helios w/top mounted whirlwind launcher
Prometheus w/quad heavy bolter sponsons
Achilles w/twinlinked multimelta sponsons and a hull mounted thunderfire cannon
Ares w/twinlinked heavy flamer sponsons and a hull mounted demolisher cannon

Then there are the preheresy models.

I've always wanted to see a sponsonless Land Raider with a troop capacity of 20 SM's or 10 Terminators, sort of like a super rhino.

carldooley
28-02-2012, 22:21
I've always wanted to see a sponsonless Land Raider with a troop capacity of 20 SM's or 10 Terminators, sort of like a super rhino.

When I started magnetizing models I would put both sponsons on one side of the hull. it was always good for a laugh.
then there were the fun ones with lascannons on the back and the hurricane sponsons on the front.

Chem-Dog
28-02-2012, 23:18
If you got a landy with no sponsons GW sell this (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440335a&prodId=prod1280042) and this (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440335a&prodId=prod80002a) separately. Between them they should give you all the bits you need for any of the Codex available Landraiders, and maybe a few bits for some fun conversion type hijinks.

AndrewGPaul
28-02-2012, 23:48
There are actually five, you forgot the newly re-modeled proteus pattern pre-heresy Land Raider without the assault ramp

They're totally new vehicles though, not just conversion kits for the plastic model. Since dangermouse 425 already has most of a kit, I presumed he was interested in what he can do with it, not in buying a whole new model.

In any case, counting those, there'd be seven - the Proteus, the armoured Proteus and the Mk IIb :P

dangermouse425
29-02-2012, 08:47
Cheers for all the input guys, I decided to give up and eBay it as it wasn't in great condition and needs more money and effort that it's worth to resurrect into a full working Land Raider. So if anyone wants a cheap knackered landy, let me know. :P

Thanks for all the ideas though!

Sons of Lorgar
29-02-2012, 10:46
True, but if he bought a Mk2B, he'd most likely get extra sponsons to complete his flawed one. Wouldn't he?

AndrewGPaul
29-02-2012, 15:17
I don't think so. Does the Mk IIb come with a complete plastic Land Raider, or just the sprues for the hull pieces?

MajorWesJanson
29-02-2012, 16:20
I don't think so. Does the Mk IIb come with a complete plastic Land Raider, or just the sprues for the hull pieces?

It's been a while since I bought mine, but I think it comes with the sponson sprue, as it needs a set of plastic heavy bolters, and I don't think it came with a razorback sprue. No guarantees, but someone who got one more recently may be able to confirm.

Sons of Lorgar
29-02-2012, 17:35
Since the OP has stated his intentions for the thread has been fulfilled, I thought I'd ask a related but slightly OT question.
Anyone know if the Pre-heresy predator comes with the sponsons sprue or if it's a rhino kit with resin extras?
I do recall all of my IG tanks coming with full chimera/Russ/Bass sprues regardless if it was a Destroyer tank hunter, a salamander or a vanquisher etc.

Panther Al
01-03-2012, 02:45
The LR IIb does come with the sponson weapon sprue. If you are a bit adventurous like I am, buy yourself a Crusader/Redeemer kit, make the IIb a redeemer (Not very hard), and build up the plastic kit as a basic Land Raider. :)

Then you have something different.

Panther Al
01-03-2012, 02:52
heh... you mean like this one?

http://forums.failgamers.com/showthread.php?3188-Panther-Al-s-Carcharodons-WIP

Check the third pic.

*edit*

And reply fail. That was in response to the APC landraider comment. :)

MajorWesJanson
01-03-2012, 04:11
The LR IIb does come with the sponson weapon sprue. If you are a bit adventurous like I am, buy yourself a Crusader/Redeemer kit, make the IIb a redeemer (Not very hard), and build up the plastic kit as a basic Land Raider. :)

Then you have something different.

Mk IIb Redeemer is easy. Mk IIb Crusader is much harder.

Promethius
01-03-2012, 20:08
Land Raider Versions

Godhammer w/twinlinked lascannon sponsons
Crusader w/hurricane bolters
Redeemer w/flamestorm flamers
Terminus Ultra w/3 twinlinked and 2 single lascannons
Helios w/top mounted whirlwind launcher
Prometheus w/quad heavy bolter sponsons
Achilles w/twinlinked multimelta sponsons and a hull mounted thunderfire cannon
Ares w/twinlinked heavy flamer sponsons and a hull mounted demolisher cannon

Then there are the preheresy models.

Isn't there a landraider spartan, with a kind of howda on top for carrying troops, or is that a fan-made conversion? I think it was a pre-heresy thing.

AndrewGPaul
01-03-2012, 20:12
It was a conversion article in White Dwarf issue 119, and has never been mentioned since. It's still canon if that sort of thing is important. It's not a "fan-made" thing, nor is it "pre-Heresy", being a stop-gap variant developed during the Heresy.

Panther Al
02-03-2012, 03:12
Mk IIb Redeemer is easy. Mk IIb Crusader is much harder.

To put it mildly - thinking about how much of a pain it would be to make a IIb Achilles. I think it could be done, but...

I think the only reasonable way to go about it would be to see if you could talk FW into selling a IIb copula, and the sponson bits whilst picking up the Achilles kit. Else, you would wind up with more spare resin than is reasonable, unless you care to do a hybrid IIb and Godhammer.