PDA

View Full Version : Viking themed Beastmen army

Not-not-kenny
28-02-2012, 14:29
Hi everybody!
I have an idea of an army that I think would be pretty cool: an army of vikings using the Beastmen rules and based on the Chaos Marauders for infantry and maybe ogres (alcohol fuelled berserkers) for minotaurs etc. I've got the impression that the Beastmen rules might fit for an army of frenzied barbarians from the north.
What do you think? Do you have any ideas for conversions for the more exotic units?

shakedown47
28-02-2012, 14:42
I suppose the beastmen rules would work as well as any, but it does beg the question why you wouldn't just go with the warriors of chaos? It would certainly be less confusing for your opponents since it wouldn't fall to them to remember what each one of your units "represented," and great weapon/flail marauders are some of the best per-point infantry in the game. I suppose the only real bonus to using the beastmen book, in the way of lending itself to a viking theme, would be the Ambush rules to represent units landing on different pieces of coast to encircle the enemy. Even with that, if you and your playgroup aren't opposed to SCs then I would just take Wulfrik. It's not that yours is a bad idea, it's just that I don't see the tangible benefit of using one book's rules to portray an army that an existing book's rules already do.

Dreadlordpaul
28-02-2012, 14:48
use the woc book instead of the beastmen one

Not-not-kenny
28-02-2012, 14:52
It's mostly that I'm just not feeling the WoC book (and one of my friends already plays them), but I love the marauder models. And the beastmen book seems interesting and was the one I found to make the most sense to use apart from the WoC.

Wishing
28-02-2012, 14:53
I gotta agree - chaos marauders are specifically supposed to be norsemen, who are supposed to be vikings. They even have a war mammoth. To make a norse army, just take a marauder army without any of the most chaos-religious things, or convert those into norse god-themed things.

Awilla the Hun
28-02-2012, 23:37
On the other hand, Beastmen are able to ambush properly (representing a Viking mastery of longships and so on giving them their famous mobility.)

StygianBeach
28-02-2012, 23:44
Why not use Historical Viking models?

http://www.hourofwolves.org/?view=articles&which=vikingFaceOff

laribold
29-02-2012, 09:17
Beastmen are able to ambush properly

Actually, the Beastmen specific Ambush rules are pretty dreadful, quite unreliable and significantly worse than the Ambush rules in the BRB in my opinion...

AlphariusOmegon20
29-02-2012, 18:19
Actually, the Beastmen specific Ambush rules are pretty dreadful, quite unreliable and significantly worse than the Ambush rules in the BRB in my opinion...

Unless you take Khazrak, which makes them fairly reliable in ambushing.

mrtn
01-03-2012, 09:27
I can see a reason to do this if you want to use different "levels" of vikings, and have peasant rabble as ungors (I'd take spears as that's fitting), normal vikings as gors and huscarls as bestigors. The "infantry hordes" are one of the most effective ways to play beastmen, so it should work.

It depends on how historical you want to be, regarding magic and so on. A beastman army without magic would probably be quite weak.

Not-not-kenny
01-03-2012, 12:50
It's actually in the magic department I think the Beastmen book would fit better than the WoC book, since I think vikings would have the more shaman style of magic of Beastmen than the heavily armoured masters of magic in the WoC army. As for how historical I'd want it to be, I think I'll go about as historical as everything else in the Warhammer world, i.e start out somewhat historically correct and then fill it up with magic and monsters like there's no tomorrow (not really, but I think you know what I mean).

kramplarv
01-03-2012, 12:54
I love this idea. except I dont believe in ogresized norse berserkers :p but that's just my call. :) everything viking should be representated in all games all voer the world! :)
Dont forget to add a lot of archers, because vikings made extensive use of those. :)

erana
01-03-2012, 13:33
There are Norse (Old World Vikings) Rulebooks out there on the net. Then there's also amazons and Luthor Harkon. You'll have to convert a lot which is fun.

Not-not-kenny
01-03-2012, 14:01
hmmm, do beastmen have any archers other than thé ungor skirmisher ones?

mrtn
01-03-2012, 15:01
hmmm, do beastmen have any archers other than thé ungor skirmisher ones?

Nope. You could use vikings on horses (ponies, more like) with throwing axes and spears for centigors.

Gorbad Ironclaw
01-03-2012, 16:56
Have you thought about using the OnG book? I've long thought about making a "Germanic horde" army or something of that style and it seems to me like it's either Beastmen or OnG and I think in the end that OnG offers the better options for making that type of armies. I also wouldn't use the Marauder models when there are lots of nice actual Viking models out there, but that's perhaps a personal preference thing.