PDA

View Full Version : Changing sides

Corn Berserker
26-04-2006, 01:06
Something that has been brought to me more through going to Warseer is that people have very....faithful - may be the right word - armies, marines in most cases.

For example, a player will make his own marine chapter or Chaos legion (or use a ready made one) and play every game with these set of rules. With regards to the fluff (or player-made fluff) and colour schemes a player may play every game with the set of rules they initially chose.

I've heard pleople on Warseer say they have X marine army and are building from scratch Y marine army.

In my case I have my own colour scheme for my Chaos but in some games I like to play generic undivided, some games with the Iron Warriors rules depending on what mood I'm in. With my Imperial Guard I choose different doctrines for every game I play. However I have my World Eaters seperate from all of this which I always play with the World Eaters' set of rules.

Was just wondering how many of you always stick to the same set of rules? Is it because of fluff? A certain unit only your side gets? Is it cheesy to change your set of rules between games as there's potential to make as deadly to opponent F as it was to opponent E in the last game?

Corn Berserker
26-04-2006, 01:11
Sorry to double post in my own thread, could someone who knows how or has authority add another option to the poll? "Always do it, POWER GAME, POWER GAME, POWER GAME!"

Cheers.

Lord Dante
26-04-2006, 01:16
Im always experimenting with different sides, i must say that the first things my old Vet friends and i do is tend to find the most exploitve force we can with a an army, they we try to have fluff type battles of the more non-beardy variety...

"no you will not be using 20 Star-Cannon"

starlight
26-04-2006, 01:35
My armies are *fairly* static, but I do like to mix it up from time to time. Generally it would be switching one Doctrine or Trait, but not switching competely to a whole new style. If I want that, I'll run a new army.:D I do it for interest reasons, never because of who I'll be facing.

However, I *do* use different rules for each compay in my DIY Chapter.:D

dean
26-04-2006, 01:36
Its called WYSIWYG.... with exceptions.

Well, I play DA and when you plunk down a DA (or Wolves, BA, or BT) army people have certain expectations of what rules they play.

HOWEVER! I have a nice generic guard unit that plays as Cadians and has the capability to play as a generic guard with different doctrines. If you do have a homemade Chapter/Hive fleet/Clanz/Regiment/Craftworld, I dont see why you should have to stick to one set of rules. Variety is the spice of life after all.

(but I still haven't mastered my armies the way they are..... :( )

Ardathair
26-04-2006, 02:57
My Chaos is always Black Legion.
SM are always Tiger Claws with the same traits.
My IG have the same Doctrines. (ok 4 stay the same the fifth changes)
My Eldar use Craftworld, Biel-Tan, Alaitoc, Iyundan, or Ulthwe; whichever I choose at the time. (My background has a number of smaller Craftworlds forming together, each different and distinct, but also having lost so much that they each could not last long alone. Politics means who ever is leading a particular force chooses their Craftworlds method of war.)
My Inquisitors have been Ordo Malleus as allies.
Dark Eldar and Harlequins don't have those options yet.

So for some of my armies it changes for others it remains the same.

Alco Engineer
26-04-2006, 03:13
I'm a bit of Column A, a bit of Column B.

My Eldar swap depending on what I plan to use them as. I do find they get a little boring as they're the army I've been collecting the longest, so I like to swap amoungst the craftworlds.

As for my other 2 main armies.

My World Eaters are only ever world eaters

My Speed Freeks are only ever speed freeks.

So I guess I'm similar to Ardathair in that regard.

emperorattack
26-04-2006, 05:16
I like to keep things simple so I never variate my armies unless they are doing really badly on the field

Gavmo
26-04-2006, 08:17
Ok, this has been discussed before, (Well, a portion of it) and it came out quite differently to whats being posted now.

Have a look here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15038

I firmly believe that you should be able to tailor your army however you want depending on the game and who you're fighting. If you want to stick to your army, its the same as changing your army, both are perfectly acceptable.

It's my view that if people are saying that you cannot do things like change your traits or doctrines, they must have their head stuck up their own ****. What? Do you expect me to buy a whole new army just so I can use a different set of traits or doctrines? Get bent. As long as the different rules that are being used are made clear to the other players before the army list is written, there should be no objections.

It's a bloody game people. Have fun and stop whinging.

(Yes it was a bit of a pre-emptive strike, but why wait till the snake bites before you blow its head off?)

Altashheth
26-04-2006, 09:12
interesting question

I tend to have some docterines etc that are set in stone and others that I play around with, e.g. my guard always have ratlings, ogyrns and jungle fighters but the other two i chop and change for varieties sake.

starlight
26-04-2006, 09:19
I always take Vets, Camo and Sharpshooters - sometimes Mech (depending on mood) but lately I've been looking at Light Infantry which would preclude my standby Carapace. We'll just see how it goes.:D

Ironhand
26-04-2006, 13:00
I've got 15 armies in various stages of completion: Dark Angels, Black Templars, Space Wolves, an unnamed SM Chapter still in the boxes, a Guard Tank Company, Cadians, Catachans, Sisters/Witch Hunters, Night Lords, a second Chaos Marine force (debating what to do with it), World Eaters, Tau, Eldar, Orks, and Tyranids.

I like the variety of painting and playing different armies, of having to adapt to a new tactical paradigm. So I change armies about every six months or so.

Playing a lot of different armies also gives me a much more mature perspective on the game as a whole.

Sir_Turalyon
26-04-2006, 13:56
It really depends on the army. If army fluff is strong enough to keep me occupied I stick to it; if "army list" is just a ruleset (like doctrines or chapter traits) I don't fill compelled fo play always one set of them.My Chaos Space Marines are always Fallen Angels (using my cut-down vanilla CSM list), while my guard is quite generic, recruits from collection which includes all guard ranges and changes fluff (elite, professional army, rag-tag light force of survuvors from different regiment, platoons of light or jungle infrantry when I fancy fielding catachans or don't want play static army), and often uses unique-for-this-one-game-fluff-only doctrines. If I had Eldar army with enough troops (jetbikes, rangers, wraithguard) I would probably experiment with different craftworld lists. Yet I don't imagine doing it with a CSM army.

I think it depends on how much "personality" ruleset has.

Messiah
26-04-2006, 15:50
I like to play it by the fluff..