PDA

View Full Version : Help with Blood Angels Sucessor Chapter

Lord Squidar
01-03-2012, 16:55
Hi Guy,

So I was given a gift of one marine to paint, and I chose Astoroth because whats not to like about the model. Aside from the fact that the finecast versions scrolls constantly droop so that he goes from right angles to 45 degree lazy boy mode, I want to make lemonade =)

So I dont want to play blood angels. I dont like the colour scheme that they get, its strange. Bright red and gold and blue and yellow all over the place... I was reading about Astoroth and how he goes amongst the various sucessor chapters reaping the death company dudemens. So I can take him in a sucessor chapter, sweet! Now I would be happy to use the main space marine rule book and take him in that army too, but I know that I cant do that, so I will end up using the blood angels book for my chapter.

Now the sucessors that appeal to me most are the knights of blood. They have a cool colour scheme (silver armour with red shoulder pads and helmet) and their backstory is cool too. they were declared renegade but are still shedding some serious blood in the big E's name. Astoroth is probably showing up to cull a few of the mad ones...

Now my trouble is that I want as much as possible for them to be normal marines, but blood angels get some really crazy stuff, like flying dreadnaughts and the like. What should I limit myself too? Also I would like to use sanguinary guard (without those terrible helmets) but how can I theme them around Knights of Blood.

Finally I would like some signature unit of my own devices that would represent a just what the chapter says, a knight of blood. Is it possible the make a unit of blood angels bikers into close combat assault crazy maniacs? think raven guard biker models with swords and axes and bared heads with blood dripping down their mouths...

p.s. IF someone can come up with a better idea for one of the other sucessor chapters of the blood angels, please let me know. I am not a blood angel or marine expert.

carlisimo
01-03-2012, 19:00
The sanguinary guard come with different helmet options, so you’re alright there (it’d still be a good idea to give them a unique color scheme though).

But what do you mean when you say you want them to be “normal marines” to the extent possible? Sanguinary guards aren’t ‘normal’, and Astorath makes your army as abnormal as you could possibly get using the Blood Angels codex. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

The bike idea would look fantastic. It doesn’t really work with the rules, but do you really need it to?

KeyOfTwilight
01-03-2012, 19:35
Personally as far as successors go, I like the Lamentors. Mustard yellow with black and white checkered shoulder pads and a heart with a blood drop dripping from it as their icon. They're pretty dadgom cool so far as lore goes. They have a higher than normal resistance to the red thirst, though it can still take hem, and they do still have a death company. The difference is they experience the psychic feedback from sanguinius' death differently, and react differently, in sometimes macabre or melancholic ways. They even have a chapter master set of rules in the Badab War part 1 book. Their leader gets more pissed off when he gets hit, and gets a strength and attack bonus plus rage from it. On top of that he has standard blood angels rules.

S_A_T_S
01-03-2012, 19:37
Like carlisimo said, taking Astorath is gonna make your force pretty mental combat crazies. That won't be a lot like 'normal' marines. What I think you are getting at is not giving them many Blood Angel specific units so they look a bit more Codex. I would suggest comparing the BA and SM codex, and selecting a list that only contains units that are in both books (you could maybe take a furioso with frag cannon as the model will look a little more like a codex dread, having 1 gun arm, 1 weapon arm). This will only stop you taking:
Death Company
Furiosos (2 CC arm and libby only)
Death Company Dread
Storm Raven
Sanguinary Guard
Honour Guard
Sanguinary Priests :eek:

Not taking Sanguinary priests might hurt a bit, as no FNP bubbles and you are relying on making Astorath's roll to get them FC. I'd take them but paint them up as Codex apothecaries. Taking a BA captain on bikes doesn't make bikers troops, so it might not be as interesting as you thought to take bikes, but one big squad like you describe should look very cool.

For the Sanguinary Guard, as you said, Astorath is only 'visiting' from the Blood Angel chapter to chop some necks, so why not allow yourself to take Sanguinary Guard as a sort of bodyguard sent with him? Paint them up in a similar scheme and they will look good as a unit (they all have wings, for a start)

Spider-pope
01-03-2012, 19:50
Now my trouble is that I want as much as possible for them to be normal marines, but blood angels get some really crazy stuff, like flying dreadnaughts and the like. What should I limit myself too? Also I would like to use sanguinary guard (without those terrible helmets) but how can I theme them around Knights of Blood.

It's quite easy to make a Blood Angel army a "normal" space marine force for the most part. Just take Tactical marines over Assault marines for your troops and you've already made it pretty close to a standard Marine force.

But remember there is also nothing stopping you from using Codex Space Marines to represent your successor chapter. You'll miss out on the special characters sure, but if you like the Sanguinary guard models for example, it would be quite easy to use them as Vanguard veterans, just ensure you make it clear to your opponent which list you are using.