PDA

View Full Version : Orc Waaagggghhh!

Petey
01-03-2012, 17:09
I was just looking at this power and wondering if other OnG players would like to see their goblin lords get it as well, or something similar. This led me to thinking, what would you do for the goblin martial lord? And if you could change the waaagh power, how would you change it?

Malorian
01-03-2012, 17:26
In all my games with the new book I have used it exactly zero times.

It's almost useless compared to the last version, and I find I almost need to build a list specifically for it if I wanted any chance for it to work.

How would I change it? Add one inch to your charge distance for each rank bonus the unit has.

Edit: Fixed.

Artiee
01-03-2012, 17:35
Only thing I would change on it is give the Orc Generals unit a reroll of charge distance. I have failed a charge so many times that I haven't found it useful.

abdulaapocolyps
01-03-2012, 18:22
I allow my mate to call it post charges,but then I'm nice like that.
Gobbos having something sounds ace though.perhaps a turn of feigned flee!lol

Jind_Singh
01-03-2012, 19:41
Only thing I would change on it is give the Orc Generals unit a reroll of charge distance. I have failed a charge so many times that I haven't found it useful.

That's kind of neat - and then give his unit +1 combat res only instead of the D3 - and other units get to re-roll ONE of their charge dice - but no combat modifiers.

To be honest the old book Waaagh was too good - and anything they did afterwards was always going to feel weak - extra inches is very powerful now in this edition so I see why they took it away (like Morks Spirit Totem generating extra dice).

blake
02-03-2012, 00:51
I have just gotten used to not even calling it anymore. After about 5-6 games of it not doing anything (that or I failed the charge), I don't think I have even called a Waaghh in about 3-4 games. Still won 3 outta the the 4 too....:eyebrows:

TsukeFox
02-03-2012, 03:42
I miss the old Waaagh!-
I Would talk my opponent into calling the Waaagh! & laugh as i watched his units explode from failed rolls. Like all the time.

+1 combat res is stupid in the era of steadfast-save against unstable units....
I am down with rerolling charge distances or extra movement-it would make me fear seeing an Orc war boss again.

Petey
02-03-2012, 05:16
How about making it make if you declare a waaagh! any unit subject to animosity must charge, and gets to reroll it's charge distances, and if it's an orc warboss declaring the waagh (as opposed to a goblin) he gets to add d3 to his units combat res.

Urgat
02-03-2012, 06:54

It's almost useless compared to the last version, and I find I almost need to build a list specifically for it if I wanted any chance for it to work.

How would I change it? Add one inch to your charge distance for each rank bonus the unit has.

Don't you mix the general's waaagh and the spell? The previous edition's waaagh rule was pants. Well at least for me. Whenever I tried it, it'd wipe out a fifth of my army.

T10
02-03-2012, 06:55

That would make it better. A lot better. "Too good", some might say if they don't play an Orcs & Goblins army.

I don't see how it needs a list specifically made for it "to work". All you have to do is use it when your Orc Warboss declares his charge. Of course, it does rely on the following factors:

The Warboss actually has to declare a charge
You must remember to use the Waaagh!
You must want to use the Waaagh!

I guess the last point is what's causing you some head-ache: Surely you must wait to use the Waaagh! until all of your units can benefit from it! Otherwise you are wasting its potential!

Well, good luck with that.

From experience I can report that the Waaagh! rule isn't very spectacular, but usually it makes an impact on a combat or two. Even if the enemy is Steadfast it helps the boyz not lose which is often underrated but kinda important. And sometimes it really heaps on with break test modifiers for an unfortunate enemy unit.

-T10

Malorian
02-03-2012, 15:00
Don't you mix the general's waaagh and the spell? The previous edition's waaagh rule was pants. Well at least for me. Whenever I tried it, it'd wipe out a fifth of my army.

That's just bad luck. The old waaagh rule was amazing and I used it every game.

Urgat
02-03-2012, 16:36
Bad luck or not, every single time I've used it, it's backfired on me. Every. Single. Time. Intact units of boar boys reduced to 1 guys and the likes. So I decided not to use it anymore, and, well, it certainly helped me not lose all on my pityful own while my opponent was giggling... I've come to loathe that rule.

Da_White_Orc
13-03-2012, 18:24
we get to charge in 8th edition? that's news to me.

my lists are maxed to receive charges, not make them.

on the odd occassion you get the charge, even ogres will beat a tactical retreat in my experience.

just pound em with doom divers, and make em charge YOU to make the hurting stop. then the fanatics come out.

Petey
13-03-2012, 18:55
we get to charge in 8th edition? that's news to me.

my lists are maxed to receive charges, not make them.

on the odd occassion you get the charge, even ogres will beat a tactical retreat in my experience.

just pound em with doom divers, and make em charge YOU to make the hurting stop. then the fanatics come out.

Honestly, my OnG army is all goblin wolf riders (and their pet giant), so... yeah... I never get charged. Except that one time by the Hellpit, but we don't talk about that.

DISCIPLE O' WURRZAG
13-03-2012, 22:39
It certainly helps against Unstable armies! I'll take all the combat res I can get! Kind of lame that we have to take a special character just to use it with Goblins, though.

DareX2
13-03-2012, 23:49

Also possible fixes could include rerolling animosity for a turn, or to give units who are already in combat the Choppas rule as though they had just charged.

Either way, the +1 combat res is kind of silly for this edition.

zak
14-03-2012, 17:54
I have to agree with Urgat. Every time I used the Waaagh! last edition my army seemed to take that as a OK to implode. It always really hurt the smaller units of cavalry. I don't think I have ever used the rule in 8th. As for a fix - rerolling the charge distance seems to be a good fix for me. You could always say one charge distance for all units in the army to represent the power or lack of in the Waagh! as all units surge forward or stutter miserably. Seems to fit with the O+G mind set. Not sure how it work in game though.

Urgat
14-03-2012, 19:55
My take on it: all units are frenzied on the turn the Waaagh is called. If it's already frenzied, they get a reroll to hit (kindda like ASF with superior initiative).

Morkash
14-03-2012, 19:56
Well, I guess Orcs and Goblins are balanced in the way that the Waaagh is so incredible insignificant that I never used it. Don't get me wrong, my Warboss often charges - yet I just forget the rule.

A sad example of its uselessness was the first tournament around here after the new armybook was released. They gave away awards for certain achievements like highest VP score, best painted army ... and one for the loudest WAAAGH! - The sad thing was that it was awarded to the only O&G player in the whole tournament who actually remembered to call out a Waaagh...

I'd appreciate of Malorian's idea with rank bonus added to charge distance. Or devastating charge for all units this turn...

Malorian
14-03-2012, 20:12
My take on it: all units are frenzied on the turn the Waaagh is called. If it's already frenzied, they get a reroll to hit (kindda like ASF with superior initiative).

I like it. It's worthwhile, would make you want to assault in multiple units at once (like a Waaagh should), and yet has a draw back (possible baiting and forced overrunning).

NTJ2010
15-03-2012, 05:15
Step 1: Remember at the beginning of the game to use the waaagh if opportunity arises (it's not amazing but when used it's hard to say it can't help).
Step 2: Charge with the Warboss general (turn 2 or 3)
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Remember on turn 5 you could have waaaghed (but you excuse it realizing it wouldn't have helped when you got massacred or slaughtered the opponent).

Malorian
15-03-2012, 20:42
Hell I don't even bother trying to remember to use it.

Although this may be due in part to the fact that I commonly don't run a warboss at all...

Sexiest_hero
15-03-2012, 21:13
Would it help If there was a warboss, on a boar with some boarboys?

Malorian
15-03-2012, 21:15
Would it help If there was a warboss, on a boar with some boarboys?

Although it would be easier to get the situation where you can declare a Waaagh, unfortunately you are usually going to be blocked by steadfast anyway or combo charge in with a ranked unit and win by so much that it doesn't matter.

TsukeFox
16-03-2012, 02:37
Although it would be easier to get the situation where you can declare a Waaagh, unfortunately you are usually going to be blocked by steadfast anyway or combo charge in with a ranked unit and win by so much that it doesn't matter.

Truth

"I have been listening to the blues since I have been in my fathers sack..."