PDA

View Full Version : Played any 1st ed. 40K recently?

Ardathair
26-04-2006, 03:42
This weekend I ran into the man who got me started in Warhammer 18 years ago. He and his gaming group still play using the Rogue Trader rules. I was able to get in a game with them. First watched a game to refresh my memory of the rules. Forgot how powerful following fire could be.

This thread was to who on Warseer has played a game of Rogue Trader in the last year or two? I know some of you played it back in the day. I'm inerested in who still plays it even occasionally.

Lacerta
26-04-2006, 12:38
I brought my copy of Rogue Trader to a game session a few months ago, and I was joking that we'd be using those rules :eek:

I tried to get the rules to work, but without the WD and Army List updates its impossible...turn to page x????:confused:

The guys at the shop got a kick out of a passage discussing making your own vehicles, because it was unlikely GW would be able to produce their own...what a difference 16 years makes!

The artwork is awesome, the background sowed the seeds of our present conflicts, and it all reminds me why I like 'beakies':D

cerealkiller195
26-04-2006, 13:36
i never played RT but i have always wanted to. my group isn't that liberal in wanting to go back to that. always thought it was pretty cool, i remember Nurglitch playing a game and posting it on the board but i have no clue where it is now.

Commissar von Toussaint
26-04-2006, 15:37
My first game of 40k was with Rogue Trader about 16 years ago. I was underwhelmed and never gave it a second thought.

About five years later I gave it 2nd edition a shot and was hooked.

Noserenda
26-04-2006, 17:46
Heh, I got into the game about a month before 2nd Ed, so I only played a few games under Rogue Trader, but a freind of mine ran a roleplaying game using Rogue Trader rules a few years back... And it was a touch random to say the least :skull: im glad the rules evolved, ive enjoyed every edition of 40k more than 1dt, and id be scared to try a 4th ed scale battle using em...

Chem-Dog
26-04-2006, 17:52
People who wax lyrical about 1st Edition are looking at things through rose tinted glasses, it was a beast, it was fun granted but it was an absolute beast.

Rafi
26-04-2006, 19:17
Yep, played last week. My Vortex Bombot roxxored my friend's halflings on hoverboards armed with meltabombs and slings. ;)

Ardathair
27-04-2006, 01:22
Posted by Chem-Dog:
People who wax lyrical about 1st Edition are looking at things through rose tinted glasses,

Waxing Lyric about it possibly, actually still playing not.

it was a beast, it was fun granted but it was an absolute beast.

Some gamers, like myself, prefer the more involved rules. It requires more time and patience than the current rules, but rushing through games does not seem as much fun. I'm willing to handle the extra book keeping and complexity for the added detail involved. I realize most gamers, especially the younger ones, are not as willing. They have their favorite version, I have mine when I can find the right gamers.

P.S. That gaming group did not go back to Rogue Trader they're just old gamers who stubornly concider the game to have been droped in 1990. Just about all the games they play are long out of production.

sigur
27-04-2006, 01:39
Very nice thread. While I never played a game of RT (I'm a child of 2nd edition), I got the rulebook some years ago and it's very interesting. Alone from reading it, you see how GW's spirit changed over the years.

I've got one question though: Is it possible/fun at all to play with just the rulebook, both Realm of Chaos books (I'm SO glad I got those. Especially Lost and the Damned is an amazing^2 read) and this WD compendium? Unforunately, I don't have any more RT-era books.:(

I read/started several ideas on how to start 2nd edition again, I even studied the good old rulebook again some months ago, but they all failed so far.

Ardathair
27-04-2006, 02:07
Posted by sigur:
I've got one question though: Is it possible/fun at all to play with just the rulebook,

It is possible, but difficult without the army lists in Realms of Chaos, Book of the Astronomicon (very rare, very hard to find someone who has on, harder to find someone willing to part with it), the Ork books (only RT era books I don't have), Compendium (or the old White Dwarf issues with the articals).

Without those army lists, creating an army can be very time consuming and difficult, becomeing the beast someone else mentioned.

Hoster
27-04-2006, 02:10
I have the metal space orks pictured in the RT book. You don't realise how much they've grown in nearly 20 years. The ork boss from the set is smaller than a modern plastic guardsman.

Regarding the topic, no I haven't played RT in a long time. There are better sets of skirmish rules to use, but I still have the RT book for posterity. Although I prefer the 'Ere we go! Space Ork book which has some very interesting stuff in. Monowheel orks coming to get ya :D

Ironhand
27-04-2006, 02:21
No, and I have no desire to. I like 4th Edition just fine.

Lord Lucifer
27-04-2006, 03:34
No, and I have no desire to. I like 4th Edition just fine.
True, but variety is the spice of life, as the saying goes :)

I should get some 2nd ed. games in at some point, gyro-stabilised monowheels and telescopic bionik legs, pulsa rokkits and splatta kannonz, wooo!
It's nice to revisit old games now and then

Chem-Dog
27-04-2006, 04:55
Some gamers, like myself, prefer the more involved rules. It requires more time and patience than the current rules, but rushing through games does not seem as much fun. I'm willing to handle the extra book keeping and complexity for the added detail involved. I realize most gamers, especially the younger ones, are not as willing. They have their favorite version, I have mine when I can find the right gamers.

P.S. That gaming group did not go back to Rogue Trader they're just old gamers who stubornly concider the game to have been droped in 1990. Just about all the games they play are long out of production.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Rogue Trader, but it wasn't until 40K hit the end of RT days and into the 2nd Edition that it turned from what was essentially a roleplaying game to what most would classify as a wargame, one thing I certainly don't miss is random equipment rolls.

I really enjoyed the 2nd Editon most and I probably played more games in 2nd than I have an all of the other editions put together, it's a sad irony that now I have the finances to build these armies I seldom get a game.

hallon_apl
27-04-2006, 08:07
I think you'll find the 5th edition is even better.

It indeed is. I have been playing it for some time now. :)

AgentZero
27-04-2006, 08:18
This thread was to who on Warseer has played a game of Rogue Trader in the last year or two? I know some of you played it back in the day. I'm inerested in who still plays it even occasionally.

I'm the only one in my group from RT days, most of the others are 2nd Edition.
We play 2nd Ed because everyone has the books and rules.
Also, since I'm the only one with the RT stuff and treat them like artifacts we ain't playing RT ever:p I cringe thinking of the damage people would do to my precious books with their unworthy paws:D

Besides, 2nd Edition was, and is, very fun to play.
Especially if you have Dark Millenium.
If I'm not playing City Fight with the current rules, I'm playing 2nd Edition games or Space Hulk.
I've probably played ten 2nd Edition games this past year and at least 5 Space Hulks. I moved, so my group is 400 miles away:cries: I'm not sure when I'll play the good stuff again.

5th better have Overwatch and vehicle collision rules.:mad:

cerealkiller195
27-04-2006, 12:00
i have my goal of all three original ork books, 2nd ed and 3rd/4th ed books. The stories and feel of the 3 books are amazing, i even have enough old metal minis of orks to make a current army... just waiting for that codex...

Ironhand
27-04-2006, 13:35
I have no doubt that 5th Edition probably will be better. GW has, I think, done very well with their rules revisions over the last couple of editions, and I hope it will continue.

I didn't like 2nd Edition because there were too many uber-gadgets, and the game was dominated by characters and psionics. It was more of a role-playing game than a wargame.

Third (and now Fourth) Edition put the focus where it ought to be, IMO, on the troops. Characters and Psionics are still there, and still useful, but not all powerful like they used to be.

And FYI, I've been playing 40K since the original Rogue Trader days.

Morgrad
30-04-2006, 05:31
I liked the complexity of the RT rules and hated the absolute absurdity of many of them. An example: Turn 1, I virus bomb your deployment zone. What's that? You play orcs? You lose. Wanna play again?

The fluff was, imho, phenominal - The Lost and the Damned and Slaves to Darkness should be required reading for every new 40k player, as well as his church group......

I would like to see a more-complex and detailed version of the rules, but it's much harder to balance things that way. 2nd edition was leaps and bounds better w.r.t. army balance, but still had gaping holes that needed fixin'. I think the current edition is better than 2nd, but I still see GW doing it's classic incremental-power-increase-per-new-codex-so-people-will-buy-that-army-too thing, but not as bad as they used to, and it's still a heck of a lot of fun.

Plus the minis are just *******' cool......

Morgrad
30-04-2006, 05:33
I forgot to mention - I still have some of the old, totally crap minis from those days! Every now and then I root through my bits box and find the old Furioso Dreadnaught. So craptastic.

Brings a nostalgic smile to my face every time. :)

Chainsworded Codpiece
30-04-2006, 07:29
Morgrad-

You are totally right.

Liking the complexity, yet hating the silliness and arbitrary nature of the rules.

The fluff, being so up in the air...part Dune, part Philip K. Dick, part "Judge Dredd" in the 41st M, part E.E. "Doc" Smith, and a final lump equal parts H.P. Lovecraft and the Church of Urantia. Damn.

The Realm of Chaos volumes convinced me that WH40K was going to be around forever. That it was just going to BUILD, And BUILD, and BUILD. And that eye-mangling art...Russ Nicholson, Stephen Tappin, and the dude who did those insane-looking chiaroscuro (sp?) pictures, like the one with the zombified Guardsman toting a flamer with "BURN IT ALL" written on the side? Yeeeeow. What on earth was that fellow's name?

Shutting up now. Drinking and posting...NNNNNOOOO!!!

Ah, for the days when I was straightedge. All of my gaffes were merely because I was a retard.:)

Now, I'm occasionally blind drunk...and a retard. eeeeeuuurrrgh-

AgentZero
30-04-2006, 08:22
I have no doubt that 5th Edition probably will be better. GW has, I think, done very well with their rules revisions over the last couple of editions, and I hope it will continue..

They're not rules revisions.
The game's been gutted so stupids and 10 year olds can play.
The process of making the game more accessible has taken a good portion of the flavor from it.
At the very least there could have been an advanced rules handbook for those of us who don't babysit our opponents.

static grass
30-04-2006, 10:22
The 1st ed is a very different beast from the fourth. Whilst I agree of the rules have been simplified but this allowed GW to put the emphasis back into the troops.

In the past if we wanted a detailed game my friends and I would just bring an assortment of 40K figures and play use the inquistor rules. It is quite cool having a rhino in a game of Inq. Especially when one of the players asks if his arcoflagellant can drive it :)

Lord Solar Plexus
02-05-2006, 12:52
I only played 2E and the current rules and since I don't get in as many games as I would like to, I doubt I would try yet another set of rules. Id o however respect RT as part of our collective history.:)

I have no doubt that 5th Edition probably will be better.

Will be? It's been played for some years now...at least the 5E (2+3) from one Robbie Buckshot LaFunk over on Heart of Heresy I believe...

Major King
02-05-2006, 13:14
I purchased a copy of RT a while ago for a tenner, which was nice i just had to buy it. I like the book and the humour especially the description about Halflings and describing the planet Birmingham as 'a backwater place with a low technological base', very good and very amusing. But i have never gotten around to playing it, far too many rules, which is why i like 4th Edition most although i wish shooting was the same as 2nd edition.