PDA

View Full Version : What is the Most Boring Game You've Ever Played?

w3rm
02-03-2012, 01:07
Title says it all. List the armies and why it was boring, opponent, list and ect.

Duke Ramulots
02-03-2012, 01:22
The most boring game I ever played had nothing to do with my opponents list but the fact he took an hour to play a turn and had no time to talk or entertain me as I sat there waiting to play.

Agoz
02-03-2012, 01:28
the most boring game I've ever played was against gunline dwarves in 7th ed. I was playing ogres, I didn't make it to combat. Game over, turn 2 or 3.

Drongol
02-03-2012, 01:32
Ogre Guthorde against LoA Chaos Dwarfs. I pretty much deployed and took models off the table until the bottom of T2, at which point I had nothing left to remove (more or less).

3 Magma Cannons and a Destroyer really hurts against that sort of list, I'll have you know.

FashaTheDog
02-03-2012, 01:44
It was almost last Monday's game of 40K where I played all Genestealers (Parasite as my Patriarch because he was I6) against your standard Grey Knight fare in kill points. I held everything in reserves with Genestealers outflanking while the Grey Knights deployed in their corner and moved to center with two units of Terminators deep striking in as a response to me. Turn 2, a unit of my Stealers came on and caught a Dreadnought, blowing it up in the assault. Then nothing happened until turn 6 when everything happened. In the frenzied flurry of the following two furious turns, a Grey Knight army was slaughtered. Had the game ended on turn 5, a 33% chance, it would have been terribly boring. Fortunately, turns 6 & 7 were a whirlwind of fighting that saw every Grey Knight save a single Pysifleman slain, whilst the Stealers somehow saw at least a single survivor in each brood.

As to the game that actually was the most boring, it would have to be the Fantasy one where my Tzeentch warriors fought an Ogre army. Turn 1, I went first, marched forward, irresistibly cast Gateway on the main horde (general and BSB present), rolled 12 for the strength, and that was game.

The most boring game I ever played had nothing to do with my opponents list but the fact he took an hour to play a turn and had no time to talk or entertain me as I sat there waiting to play.

What was he playing, a high model count army with no movement trays?

Duke Ramulots
02-03-2012, 02:50
What was he playing, a high model count army with no movement trays?

Skaven, and no im sure he had A movement tray :(

m1acca1551
02-03-2012, 03:37
Against a skaven player, 2 aboms, slave spam etc. i was playing my vc and as i watched him deploy i just sighed and realised that the result was inevitable. I just and watched him move models knowing there was nothing i could do. and by christ he took his time each phase.

Tzeentch Lover
02-03-2012, 03:40
2500 game with my ogres against a High Elf list. His list:

Archmage(Lore of Shadow) w/Book of Hoeth
90xLotheran Sea Guard(2 units of 20, 1 of 50)
4xBolt-throwers
14xReaver and Reaver special character

Yeah, lots of fun sitting for three turns(he deployed behind a river) watching him pewpewpew my army away with lots of arrows backed up by unstoppable Shadow hexes and Pit of Shades.

Feefait
02-03-2012, 03:56
I was playing Skaven against a friends Ogres with the new book. He had decided to try a Skragg list and we rolled Battle for the Pass. He basically had 2 big blocks, 1 Bulls and 1 IG unit. The rest were gorgers that were unable to come in on the side and so had to make a long walk up the board, through my jezzails and waiting doomwheel. By the time they even got there my warlord on Brood horror and HPA had wiped out 1 unit while the doomwheel and some clanrats had decimated the other. I am not sure we made it three turns. In hindsight we should have rerolled scenario's, btu he didn't want to tip his hand on what he thought would be a surprising army. It was just really not fun for either of us.

Just to add a second I played in a tourney a couple years ago where I brought my new Beastmen army (right after the book came out). I thought it was going to be relatively friendly and brought a fluffy list. I ended up facing first a HE army that turtled in the corner next to a forest (7th ed,couldnt charge through) with bolt throwers on either side. Half my army was dead before I even got in and my units ended up stacked on top of each other being fed to Swordmaster blocks as I couldn't get any combo charges in. The second game was against a dwarf gunline. It was just as bad, except almost nothing got into combat. Worst overall day of Warhammer ever.

Rosstifer
02-03-2012, 04:10
I played against double Greyseer Skaven with Infantry Warriors of Chaos once. He rolled 12 dice magic phases 3 out of 6 turns. Turn one, one 13th gets through, 17 out of 18 Chosen gone. Turn 2 another gets through, 13 out of 20 Tzeentch Warriors gone. 4th turn, 15 out of 18 Khorne Warriors gone, after they minced through some Clanrats, I concede the game. He was sickeningly pleased with himself, but at least he tried not to show it.

I hate Skaven.

Phazael
02-03-2012, 04:57
The only game more boring than combat army against gunline, is gunline on gunline. You might as well take turns rolling artillery dice and the first person who misfires loses....

Feefait
02-03-2012, 05:12
I think it's funny how many of these were against Skaven. lol There are some new skaven players out there giving us vets a bad name. There si a definite difference between old school skaven players and current book players.

FashaTheDog
02-03-2012, 05:28
The only game more boring than combat army against gunline, is gunline on gunline. You might as well take turns rolling artillery dice and the first person who misfires loses....

Actually, I played a Dwarf artillery list with my Marienburg (we tied in that game) and we got to talking about playing a Fantasy battle version of the Battle of Gettysburg. We've thus far figured we would first play a regular game with my Empire using primarily cavalry to determine who got first turn in the main game. This main battle would be that each side can only take handgun infantry and artillery. Both armies would have to deploy their infantry along a line 10" from the centerline (might have each side get a few obstacles to place along it after table sides chosen but right before deployment) while the artillery is free to deploy anywhere behind. We both like the idea as a novelty battle and have enough of a beer and pretzels attitude about it to enjoy it, especially since the game will be more of a target priority game than most Fantasy.

m1acca1551
02-03-2012, 05:32
I have a skaven army but i dont field it due to feeling i have to underpower it in some way, as even a average skaven army can be extremely strong. I really hate 1 sided games unless it is against theat player who everyone knows that is just a smug little so and so.

Agreed with gunline vs gunline holy crap that was boring, that and the old 7th VC vs VC was an excercise in futility, who ever rolled the first miscast lost *YAWNS* makes me sleepy just thinking about it.

Urgat
02-03-2012, 07:13
Ogre Guthorde against LoA Chaos Dwarfs. I pretty much deployed and took models off the table until the bottom of T2, at which point I had nothing left to remove (more or less).

3 Magma Cannons and a Destroyer really hurts against that sort of list, I'll have you know.

Artillery line versus deathstar. There was no redeeming factor indeed.

RanaldLoec
02-03-2012, 07:55
Empire vs Beastmen

6000 points

We setup terrain with a river running down the centre of the board stretching though both deployment areas.

We them rolled for scenario, battle for the pass or Beastmen take a bath in the river while Empire shoot at them for 5 turns.

There wasn't a single combat all game.

Chiron
02-03-2012, 08:06
TK vs Dwarf gunline, 4 turns of very slowly walking towards them as they shut down my magic while they shot the **** out of my units. Scorpions did some damage but not a lot

Artinam
02-03-2012, 09:06
In 7th edition, Bretonnia against Daemons in a tourney. Guy has the untouchable block of plaguebearers (T4, Wardsave and Regeneration). Maxed out on Flamers, and one of those -1 AS Khorne Heralds where it almost doesn't matter if you charge him because your lances will only bring him down to a 1+ AS.
Combined with the unbreakableness of the entire army I knew I was doomed the moment I saw it.

Just started to conserve points and held everything back. It was a terrible game for him and for me, but throwing my units into a brick wall wasn't the best of strategies. So atleast the battle went quickly.

Artinam
02-03-2012, 09:07
In 7th edition, Bretonnia against Daemons in a tourney. Guy has the untouchable block of plaguebearers (T4, Wardsave and Regeneration). Maxed out on Flamers, and one of those -1 AS Khorne Heralds where it almost doesn't matter if you charge him because your lances will only bring him down to a 1+ AS.
Combined with the unbreakableness of the entire army I knew I was doomed the moment I saw it.

Just started to conserve points and held everything back. It was a terrible game for him and for me, but throwing my units into a brick wall wasn't the best of strategies. So atleast the battle went quickly.

ihavetoomuchminis
02-03-2012, 09:09
I think it's funny how many of these were against Skaven.

I was thinking the same. I'm sure if we ask the same thing in the 40k section, it would be full of "a game against GK/IG/SW/BA".

That for sure must mean something.

theJ
02-03-2012, 09:19
Playing my neighbors Vampires (7th ed. book) using my infantry heavy High Elves. He insisted we allow unlimited game turns, I sadly accepted.

Turns out pretty much his entire army consisted of mounted characters, who spend turn after turn running around in circles, casting spells.

Some 30-odd turns later, nothing had really happened and we were both so terribly bored out of our minds we packed up the game, not even bothering to check who was in the lead.

snyggejygge
02-03-2012, 10:06
Me using beastmen Vs skavens, never faced the opponent before, so we had chat before game about attitude & what kind of playstyles we had, both playing fluffy lists & not caring about results.
Once we deployed it turns out that his casual style of gaming includes 2 A-bombs, Greyseer & maxed out artillery along with slavespamming. I had a single level 2 Shaman without scroll to defend myself & voila, couple of turns later he has more models on the board than he started with & he wasn't even fun to talk with during the game. I felt so cheated...

SkawtheFalconer
02-03-2012, 10:11
Whenever I play Wood Elves vs any of my friend's Dwarfs armies. Seriously, seriously dull, as neither of us can do enough damage to cause anything other than a draw (particularly in 8th, where you don't even get points for killing half units)

Drongol
02-03-2012, 11:56
Artillery line versus deathstar. There was no redeeming factor indeed.

In fairness, he "only" had 5 war machines, which isn't bad, in my opinion. It's just that magma cannons eat Ogres for breakfast, and he had three of them. ;)

redfury
02-03-2012, 12:04
I was playing three ways. vamps(me) against skaven against tomb kings. Skaven won of course but that many tarpits in one place just seems wrong.

Morkash
02-03-2012, 12:14
My most boring game was in a tournament a year or two ago. I played Nurgle WoC, he had Lizardmen. Pretty standard list, Slann, Saurus block, a Stegadon, Terradons, Salamanders, around 40 Skinks Skirmishers...

This game was horrible for a few reasons. First of all, he was a unpleasant person, to say it nice. Not the nice player you usually meet, but a (slowly) calculating, rules twisting guy who double checked everything and made semi-professional comments about everything I or he did.
As you can imagine, Skink shooting against Nurgle Warriors with shields is about as effective as using cavalry against an aircraft carrier. I think he didn't kill a single one the whole game. Still he needed an eternity each shooting phase, while his Slann, Temple Guard and Saurus sat behind a fat hill (which was blocking sight) and the slann threw out Pit of Shadow each turn on my Hellcannon and the Salamanders roasted my warriors.
He used his Terradons to bait my frenzied knights off the field, and then casted Comet of Cassandora on the spot where they would return. Overall, he acted like a stereotypical German (and I'm saying this as a German, so I guess it's legit :p): If he couldn't win, neither should you, Scorched Earth.

By turn 4 there hasn't been a single close combat, so I decided that he did not deserve the win either, and just marched with my whole army away from him. I knew he couldn't kill anything of value and just waited until turn 6.

The only bright moment this game had, was the impact of the Comet which, while killing my Knights, also reached his Stegadon, turning it to ashes. Somehow, I found this quite amusing in the context, even more because he was horribly unsettled about this "audacity".

From hindsight, I should've called the game by turn 3, but as I said, I was (and still am) of the opinion, that such a player didn't deserve the 20:0 points for such a behaviour. So he wandered of winning 13:7, which was enough to keep him from the Top 3...

Omnichron
02-03-2012, 13:20
Worst fight I ever had was some years ago with the old Dark Elves book. Lizardmen was new, and my friend knew I'd be going MSU style as I've used the list earlier against another friend. He went with max mages, pumping metroids all over the field and killing 80% of my army before I got close... and then killed the rest with Sauruses.

I was thinking "Why would I even want to play this game?" after the match. It was a total turnoff for Warhammer-gaming for me... I did get back on the field again though.

As for the opponent taking their time, I've luckily had quick matches in Warhammer. The worst I've ever experienced was actually in Axis and Allies, where the other team spent about an hour and a half discussing what to do in their round. I thought I was going to die of boredom.

lordfeint
02-03-2012, 14:21
2500 points Dwarfs vs Dwarfs. 8E.
It wasn't really "boring", but it took a long time to get into combat after all the smoke and projectiles cleared.
Funny thing is we both took almost identical lists right down to no Runesmiths and a lot of shooting.
By the end of turn 6 we were drained. My opponents decision to take 2 Grudge Throwers ended up being what won him the game.

Runner up would have been a game of Dwarfs vs Skaven. I ended up killing his Grey Seer in the opening round of shooting and the match ended up a slugfest of close combats and tarpitting that dragged out until I finally won late in turn 5. (Some 3 hours later)

FashaTheDog
02-03-2012, 15:33
I was thinking the same. I'm sure if we ask the same thing in the 40k section, it would be full of "a game against GK/IG/SW/BA".

For having actually thrown out an almost 40K example, I would have to clarify that if that game ended on turn 5, it would not have been boring because it was Grey Knights, but rather because both my foe and I had spent so much time maneuvering for advantage; that nothing happened until after we started rolling for end of game. The exact same situation could have been repeated with say Eldar and Tau, or Smurfs and SoBs, or any match up you can think of.

Velkyn
02-03-2012, 17:24
Games with players who become conveniently uninterested the moment they realise they are not likely to win.

I don't mind so much the length of a turn, so long at the conversation is extant and pleasant. ^_^

jack da greenskin
02-03-2012, 20:12
my dwarves, and army I completely painted before hitting the table, vs a certain opponent and his pretty cheesy DE.

Was a close game, but I really didnt enjoy the way my army played, how our forces interacted (Me rush forward and shoot, him stand back and shoot") nor his company.

yabbadabba
02-03-2012, 20:33
Almost every 7th Ed tournament game. I was only a tournament player for the social before that, but 7th Ed killed, buried and fossilised it for me.

A close second was in '96 when, as a staff member, I took a shop army to play against a regular whose opponent hadn't turned up for games night. I got caned as it was a display shop Dwarf army, and designed for looks not effectiveness. I got the impression from his constant put downs and whoops that he thought he had beaten Jervis or something (not that Jervis is that good a player lol!). Eventually one of the other regulars told him in no uncertain terms to shut up.

Boring .... just about any game in 6/7th Ed vs Khorne.

Souppilgrim
02-03-2012, 23:47
7th edition
Me - Empire, Opponent - Daemons, in a campaign game using take all comers lists. So mine was fairly balanced, but you can guess what a "take all comers" list of daemons in 7th looked like. At the end of deployment I knew there was absolutely no chance of me winning without him rolling 1's the whole game. I had other players check, and it was simply impossible from a math standpoint. ...we played the game anyway, it only took 45 minutes. I killed some flamers, he killed my army. I'm not going to say I'm a better player than him, but I had 10+ more years of wfb experience and play very competitive war games in general, there was nothing I could have done tactically to change the outcome of that game.

Bladelord
03-03-2012, 12:12
Was playing Vampire Counts with my High Elves. His general had no protection at all & he left him in the open so I shot him to death T1...

brightblade
03-03-2012, 18:45
A 6000pt storm of magic game. My wood elves vs my friends tomb kings and chaos stuff. No magic. Monsters so tough they just ate stuff, still no magic.

I was in a winning position and would have won but got bored by the fact that we spent (what felt like)hours setting up and then spent hours packing up. The latter part is what most call 'a game of fantasy.' It was sooooooo dull. Nothing interesting happened at all.

200-odd points on a one use item that surprise......got dispelled, was the low point.

My drive home was more interesting.

Luckily it has not been repeated and I have since had nothing but awesome games. Phew! :)

DivineVisitor
03-03-2012, 21:21
Used a gunline just to see what it was like against my brother's Tomb Kings, i won and pretty convincingly but neither of us enjoyed the game, never again. I much prefer to outmanouver my opponents and win by taking the fight to my opponent, relying on artillery only to neutralise or weaken the parts of my opponents army that my troops can't handle.

Gop
05-03-2012, 03:08
7th ed. My dwarves vs his Khorne WoC. He was a newer player but really fancied himself and his army and entered the tournament while still very fresh. To make it worse, I got to pick sides and had a 4 tiered hill! Dwarftastic! :shifty:

His list was very CC, lord on jugger, mounted heralds and big blocks of warriors and marauders, but had no shooting or magic. To cut it short, he lost 2500pts and I lost nothing. Boring for him, but hey, it was a tourney.

dwarfhold13
05-03-2012, 05:25
Dwarfs vs. Slayer SOC list.... hands down just awful

enyoss
05-03-2012, 10:39
Back in 6th edition, I once tried out an MSU High Elf list against Tomb Kings. I learnt that pushing around 4 identical small and pathetic units of spearmen makes for the most boring game ever. It was back to the 30 strong units after that!

Corvus Corone
05-03-2012, 10:58
Well, isn't this an uplifting thread =).

I've not had a single boring game of fantasy yet.

Probably because I've only played two so far.

vardek_4
05-03-2012, 11:09
Gunline Dwarves, no doubt.

DaemonReign
05-03-2012, 11:30
I've not had a single boring game of fantasy yet.

Neither have I. That's after 15 years of off-and-on attendance to this hobby.
I attribute that firstly to myself only playing with friends, where even in defeat you can at least cheer for the other guy's sake.
Secondly, I tend to see interesting challanges in the sort of games that most folks seem to write off as 'boring'. I don't mind playing gunlines or any other builds. Some of the best games I've had were the ones where I was completely helpless.
Oh well.. Interesting reading what others have put themselves through though!

w3rm
05-03-2012, 23:26
I actually don't mind gunlines or deathstars ever. They're so much fun to beat!

H33D
05-03-2012, 23:41
Dwarves vs High Elves, 2000 points. I brought 1 grudge thrower and 1 anvil, he brought 2 bolt throwers. We roll the battle for the pass scenario, which is the long one with impassible edges. I anvil all of his units so they are really slow, mine are already slow and there is a river in the middle of the field to cross.

By turn 6 his Swordmasters were almost in charge range. My grudge thrower panicked one unit off the board for just enough VP for a victory. Nothing else really happened.

Far2Casual
06-03-2012, 12:58
I rarely have played a "boring" game. But to be honest, every game that is completely one-sided because of some unbelievable bad/good rolls is uninteresting i would say. It has happend to me in both ways in equal proportions and in all cases it wasn't that fun.

Awilla the Hun
06-03-2012, 16:18
There was just one for me. A game against Tzeentchi demons. 800 points. He had absurd amounts of power dice, I had peasants. He informed me after the slaughter, in no uncertain terms, that he had been a gentleman by not taking Flamers.

I have also had a somewhat incredible string of dice luck in recent warhammer games, which may have been dull for my opponent.

Maoriboy007
06-03-2012, 19:38
Storm of Magic Games are pretty Grueling
WoC Tzeench Gateway spam FTW or Twin Tzench Shrine Chosenstar

Lorcryst
07-03-2012, 18:45
For me, my most boring game was back in 7th ed, where I took my MSU Night Goblin army against a friend's TKs ...

For the first three turns, ALL my units that had to check for Animosity failed their checks ... yes, all ELEVEN of them ... my Shamans could do nothing, my blocks didn't move, and I just watched my friend line up combo charges without hindrance ... turn 4 he finally charges everything, my front ranks get annihilated, Fear + break = whole army fled off the table ...

That was a pain in the behind, not because of the armies, or the attitude of my friend, but because I could do nothing else than rolling 1s for Animosity :cries:

xxRavenxx
07-03-2012, 19:20
vs. Black powder gunline dwarves, using an anvil of doom, and gyrocopters to marchblock. 2" movements! wooooh.

w7west
07-03-2012, 20:50
My dwarfs vs vampire counts. 120 scouting longbeards with greatweapons in one unit. Including the scouting heroes/lords in the unit it was about 2,300 points in one squad. It was the stupidest game I have ever played, consisting of basically one big combat that started on turn 2 and didn't end until the entire VC army was thrown into the meatgrinder.

I would never use this army again, as the game was not fun for either player.

sulla
08-03-2012, 21:31
Anything vs WoC where the deathstar gets good warshrine roll on the first turn...(Happens most games I play against them).

Sexiest_hero
09-03-2012, 08:34
Another sad vote for playing WOC vs my Vampire counts. Battle for the pass. he moves his death star up, I fall back, repeat for six turns. last turn of the game. I charge every thing into his tzeentch war shrine, 10 blood knight and 20 black knights, with a vampire lor and 3 vampire heroes bounce off it without a scratch managing to break it through combat res and run it down. That was the only dice rolled other than magic being cast and dispelled all game. I hate playing Tzeentch woc even when I win....

Hicks
09-03-2012, 16:35
I haven't played much since I got back into the game, but their is one game that I remember as being utterly boring. I was using my Dwarfs vs Ogres. I wanted to try out some units, so I fielded CCW&S warriors, slayers and iron breakers.

The slayers got shot in no time and the rest of my force couldn't kill an ogre to save their lives.

It is after this game that I came to the conclusion that Dwarfs really do need great weapons and guns to do anything.

abdulaapocolyps
09-03-2012, 22:53
Hi all

My WoC vs my mates Orks where AWFUL. My mage got smashed in turn two by an odd cock up involving a mangler squig and it appears everyone brought their blunt weapons along. Honestly, nothing like that should ever happen to anyone. I think I won because my chosen FINALLY killed off a horde of gobbos in turn 6, other than that, very little happened.
A close second was my Dwarfs vs HE when again, I have never seen rolling like it. Just a dull, long winded grind. Those Pheonix guards vs shield dwarf bus was just brutal...
This game was saved when from the depth of nothingness by my Rune lord managed to kill two dragon princes and an Elven Prince tooled for combat. Good lad.

Lord_Byron
12-03-2012, 06:47
For me, my most boring game was back in 7th ed, where I took my MSU Night Goblin army against a friend's TKs ...

For the first three turns, ALL my units that had to check for Animosity failed their checks ... yes, all ELEVEN of them ... my Shamans could do nothing, my blocks didn't move, and I just watched my friend line up combo charges without hindrance ... turn 4 he finally charges everything, my front ranks get annihilated, Fear + break = whole army fled off the table ...

That was a pain in the behind, not because of the armies, or the attitude of my friend, but because I could do nothing else than rolling 1s for Animosity :cries:

This is almost exactly like my own "most boring game ever" except replace MSU night goblin army with combined arms orcs, Tomb Kings with Brettonia and turn 4 with turn 2. I just got rode over without moving, and since orcs are so good at occupying so much space there was cascading panic and fleeing off the table.

StormCrow
12-03-2012, 07:27
Dwarf Gunline vs. Empire Gunline.

We were playing a campaign at the time and the game was a crucial one, and so both armies deployed so far back that even their handguns were out of range for the whole game. The Empire player had 4-5 mages with Lore of Fire, but the dwarf player had a Runelord and a couple of extra Runepriests with about 4-6 spellbreakers. In the end the game was a tie after 6 turns of uneventful shooting and magic phases. The only models that moved were artillery crew whose machines had been destroyed.

Worst game I've ever witnessed by a huge margin

Rosstifer
12-03-2012, 11:52
Storm of Magic Games are pretty Grueling
WoC Tzeench Gateway spam FTW or Twin Tzench Shrine Chosenstar

I can see why you dislike Warriors, I just saw the Equinox field and aside from me there are 8 other Warriors players. If even half of those are Auckland based it would get old fast!

charlarino
12-03-2012, 15:04
Most boring game for me was in 7th edition, spent like 2 hours working out my army (I was Peasant heavy brets) set it all up on the table he deployed vampires and using ghoulkin charged my one and only Knight block in turn one with the bloody horrible vampire lord using red fury and the auto hit lance, wiped out the KOTR and I sat there watching as each and every peasant unit failed their leaderships and fled the table.. best thing was we had decided before hand to do themed armies and he knew what was in my list, but the list he showed me neglected to mention the vampire lord dread lance, ghoul-kin combo..
so yeah.. never played him again,

Garion
12-03-2012, 16:21
Warhammer 40k

Whats that, Oh! Thats not what this thread is for :shifty:

Maoriboy007
12-03-2012, 23:49
I can see why you dislike Warriors, I just saw the Equinox field and aside from me there are 8 other Warriors players. If even half of those are Auckland based it would get old fast!
Urrgggh! We've got just the one WoC player in our club and I've never seen an easy list out of him. Back in the Hordes days it would be 3 Dog distractors Knights and a Cloud of Furies along with whatever Lord (Demon or Archaon) suited. Generally he could charge at the other army , mow down whatever he hit while anything that fought back usually bounced, meanwhile the furies floated around removing warmachines and any other units the knights couldn't be bothered with.
. My favourite game against them was when the new VC book just came out. He tried the usual charge blindly forward into Drakenhoff graveguard backed by a full casty helm lord. It was awesome to actually treat those warriors to some of what they were serving, but I never really went the Bunker lord so much afterwards. By the time the new WoC came out they had plenty of counters to the VC book, but no Furies was nice. But the introduction of Gateway was a terrible precedence. Generally there was no risk to throwing dice at the spell and the potential profits were limitless, thus being able to remove whole units was an easy game winner and robbed the game of its flavour. And our WoC player is a Jammy Git, its not unknown for him to remove 2 - 3 units in a single game.
As an aside I've never really found Dwarves to be a weak army but they are up there with the most boring. March across the field while being shredded by gunfire and then whatever makes it across goes into the Grinder with Stubborn and Slayer Blocks was the norm in our group.
Strangly enough, I've never found DE boring in 7th, even the close grindy matches. I think it was because the games tended to teeter on a knifes edge.

dreambringr
13-03-2012, 04:51
It was a 2v1: my High Elf army and an Empire army against a double-sized Lizardmen Army. The Lizardmen player had suggested we play on a 8' x 4' table, which sounded like fun, until we rolled Battle for the Pass.

I think the Lizardmen finally made it into close combat during turn 5.

Why
13-03-2012, 05:30
Skaven versus skaven.
1500 both had slave spam and almost nothing else except cannons and afew clanrats and poisoned wind mortars. Tarpit vs tarpit pretty much completely pointless game not one unit got completely destroyed the entire game. 0-0 draw.

lybban
13-03-2012, 09:26
My VC against my friends skaven(Yes again with the skaven). I didnt know the HPA could have magical attacks for 15 pts so i moved a unit of wraihts in front of it. In his turn 1 he charged them with HPA, wiped them out and overran into my Vampire Lord and killed him. That was a fun game.

librerian_samae
13-03-2012, 10:06
My skinks vs a friends vamp counts late 6th, I was playing a very skirmish y MSU list and he was playing rez spam horde list with a small general bunker in the back field.
Now I had spent 3 turns manoeuvring 3 units some terradons and skink priest with shooty spells and bow of the sun into rear and side arcs of his bunker when it was only at 10 man plus casty vamp and Wight, cue me fluffing ALL my units poison rolls, missing with my bow of the sun, and barely passing cold blooded after a miscast almost sucked away my skink priests unit.

Then his turn Wight leaves unit fires flaming staff magic item at skink priest unit killing enough skinks to cause panic, after I think 9 failed cold blooded rolls every single one of my units is fleeing.
beginning of my next turn all coldblooded rolls once more failed and NOTHING of mine is left on the table

So to sum it up, it was three turns of pretty much no casultys and the few that were caused being rez'd, then 2 turns of the worst rolling any of my gaming group had ever seen.
That one game put us off of fantasy until 7th a few months later, it just made everything so dull. :(

Andy p
13-03-2012, 15:23
I had one recently against a daemon army with my O&G's, only a mere 1500 pts, but I spent the entire game basically chasing him around the board as he ran away casting 6th spell after 6th spell....my poor I 2 Orcs and gobbos.

sulla
14-03-2012, 06:14
Strangly enough, I've never found DE boring in 7th, even the close grindy matches. I think it was because the games tended to teeter on a knifes edge.:) Why, thank you, Sir... I aim to please.

Skarsnik, the Lord
14-03-2012, 08:08
I was playing with VC with the old book. I got the first turn, move things up. I start the magic phase by casting a VDM with two dice and got miscast. Boom, Vampire Lord dead on turn 1, game over. Fortunately we had time to redeploy and start the game again.

Urgat
14-03-2012, 08:46
I honestly can't see how half of those games qualify as boring :/ Seems like some people equate "losing" with "boring"...

Sexiest_hero
14-03-2012, 11:05
yeah, I understand Woc or dwarf gunline. but panicing and losing are part of the game

Sexiest_hero
14-03-2012, 11:11
Double post powwwwer!

librerian_samae
14-03-2012, 11:17
It wasn't so much the panicking that made it a boring game, as the lack of anything happening followed by many fluky dice rolls in a row, neither of us felt like we had achieved anything, we had just sat back and watched the dice have a fun game on auto pilot :(

It's like Listers reaction when Rimmer regales him of his risk exploits-
"Then I rolled another 6, and then can you guess what happened... ...I rolled another 6!"

Duke Ramulots
14-03-2012, 14:42
I honestly can't see how half of those games qualify as boring :/ Seems like some people equate "losing" with "boring"...

Kinda like how the FAQ thread became "what I hate that my opponents use"?

datalink7
14-03-2012, 15:03
I played against a Dark Elf list with my ogres (previous book) that looked like this (from what I can remember):

Lord on Dragon
BSB on Manticore
Level 4 on Dark Pegasus

5 x Dark Riders with Repeating XBows

5 x Harpies
5 x Harpies
6 Shades with Assasin (throwing Stars, Manbane, so basically three shots a turn that hits and wounds anything on 2+)
6 Shades
Hydra
Hydra

Needless to say, I never saw combat. All I could do is try to throw 2d6 S2 magic missile shots a turn and try to panic something a turn with my gut magic.

Kyte
14-03-2012, 15:10
Hands down the 8-player SoM Fozzrik's gatehouse scenario that comes at the end of the autumn season in the Blood in the Badlands campaign book. It was so crowded and chaotic that the game was no fun at all, and you ended up getting bored as most of the time, you were just waiting to do something...

Andy p
16-03-2012, 00:04

I can understand your sentiment to an extent.

However if you want a game that was incredibly boring that I won was vs a Dark Elf army at 2000 points, to cut the story short he was just extremely unlucky in his rolls....there were no tactical decisions no little deft moves, nothing. I just charged forward, hit him and won, it was like playing green warriors of chaos....that weren't nurgle.

It was over far too quickly and made me snore.

I see nothing wrong with losing, ive lost many times with goblins and had a riot doing it. I posted that daemon game since that came to mind recently.

vcassano
16-03-2012, 11:39
In most cases it is the opponent not the army list that makes a game boring. Sometimes there are just bad match-ups - avoidance armies or armies that have strengths directly aligned with your weaknesses. But these tend to be rare in my experience.

FashaTheDog
16-03-2012, 16:13
I see nothing wrong with losing, ive lost many times with goblins and had a riot doing it.

Playing a Goblin army, or certain Skaven lists, is like dropping a giant party on the table. You get all sorts of madcap craziness that make almost any result a good time. It would have been less obvious to say said "I breathe for my health" than "I played goblins and had a riot doing it." :D

The bearded one
22-03-2012, 22:48
lizardmen vs dwarfs. Dwarfs take first turn, fire flaming cannonball at slann.
Que failing 2+ Look Out Sir
Que failing 2+ dragonbane gem
Que rolling 5 wounds on the D6.
Slann dead.

Remainder of the game: moving entire army forward before putting it back in the bag.

I gotta say, it wasn't really that exciting anymore after the slann flopped, which was literally the very first action performed in the game.

Maoriboy007
23-03-2012, 04:15
Kinda like how the FAQ thread became "what I hate that my opponents use"?Oh not at all. Iofte hated Dark Elves and the kind of crap they could field, but unless they were putting something out there that was particularly disgusting (a flying magic circus list comes to mind mr Sulla) they weren't often boring. In fact while some lists were sphincter shrinkingly frustrating, often there could be a challenge in overcoming them (The assassin Pendant Lord Blackguard list comes to mind Mr Sulla). That said there are ways of playing that suck all the fun out of the game. I played with a VC Helm Bunker Caster Lord list maybe twice early on and I never used the Dreadlance Fury combo (although it always sounded too 50/50 to me anyway) but they didn't seem to make for enjoyable games, although I will defend to the death the ability to recast invocation in games with undead instability Lvl 2 scroll caddies Ring of Hotek and the infernal puppet. I got the feeling the complaining about casting with a single dice was less about boredom than it was about forcing wastage of precous magic support or wanting to make my General spontaneously explode.
But I've played and seen games where having your best units removed too early on in the game by a gateway or purple sun really means only your opponant is likely to have much fun as you'll probably just spend the rest of game removing models. Sometimes its easier to concede at the point the game has tipped past the point of enjoyment, and generally go over the game and analyse what happened, which is often more fun than painfully stretching what amounts to a certain loss out past its due.
Please note this does not include a close loss, I enjoy stretching out a phyrric victory , where both side experience bloody carnage , but one sided games are painful to play - its like watching Dora the explorer with the kids, I die a little inside.

TrojanWolf
23-03-2012, 06:21
A 7th ed tourney, in the first game. I was using Tzeentch WoC and my opponent had Lizards, and the first scenario had us deploying in table quarters. My quarter had water features along both sides, so I needed to march my army out in mostly single file (a few units tried going around). March blocked by Terradons the whole way. Can't charge 'em 'cause they just flee, then rally and come right back.

Yeah. Not even remotely fun. I had more fun against the Daemons in the last game.

Mercules
23-03-2012, 14:03
7th Edition low point game in a small shop tournament. I was playing Ogres and he played Dwarves. Third party set up the board then we unpacked our armies. I looked at my tiny amount of Ogres then looked at his army. Basically it was Thunderers and Cannons. I had a couple things in my deployment zone and he did, but otherwise there was a HUGE no-man's-land in the center. He even had a hill for his cannons. He was all excited for his, "Easy Win" and even told his friend how this was going to help his placing.

Okay, that burned me and looking at his army and mine I couldn't figure out how I could change the outcome. Basically I would have to run at him with fingers crossed and hope I made it into contact.

Finally I did the only thing I could think of to take the smugness off his face. I deployed behind and in terrain. He got turn 1, fussed a bit with his troops, then said go. I didn't touch my models and said, "Go." His mouth dropped open. After a couple turns he shifted his Thunderers to get a shot at one of my Ogres. On my turn I shifted my Ogres back behind cover. We were done in 20 minutes total and he was mad and grumbling. I pointed out his General was an Engineer and every model in his army shot so it was run into a hail of gunfire and lose all my Ogres or cut into his 20-0 victory by playing for a draw. If he had an issue with it then maybe next time he should bring some troops that could come and flush me out of the cover.

The game was only slightly less boring than trying to march over there and charge him while he rolled dice. The only fun part was figuring out what color his face would be at the end when he realized he wasn't getting more than 10 points for the game. Yes I was a git and yes I did get a poor sportsmanship score from him, but I frankly didn't care.

Jedi152
23-03-2012, 14:45
My VC's vs Empire gunline back in 7th. All i could do was keep advancing as he hammered my units. By the end of the game i'd killed 7 archers and he'd wiped me out.

Gargantuan
23-03-2012, 14:49
7th Edition low point game in a small shop tournament. I was playing Ogres and he played Dwarves. Third party set up the board then we unpacked our armies. I looked at my tiny amount of Ogres then looked at his army. Basically it was Thunderers and Cannons. I had a couple things in my deployment zone and he did, but otherwise there was a HUGE no-man's-land in the center. He even had a hill for his cannons. He was all excited for his, "Easy Win" and even told his friend how this was going to help his placing.

Okay, that burned me and looking at his army and mine I couldn't figure out how I could change the outcome. Basically I would have to run at him with fingers crossed and hope I made it into contact.

Finally I did the only thing I could think of to take the smugness off his face. I deployed behind and in terrain. He got turn 1, fussed a bit with his troops, then said go. I didn't touch my models and said, "Go." His mouth dropped open. After a couple turns he shifted his Thunderers to get a shot at one of my Ogres. On my turn I shifted my Ogres back behind cover. We were done in 20 minutes total and he was mad and grumbling. I pointed out his General was an Engineer and every model in his army shot so it was run into a hail of gunfire and lose all my Ogres or cut into his 20-0 victory by playing for a draw. If he had an issue with it then maybe next time he should bring some troops that could come and flush me out of the cover.

The game was only slightly less boring than trying to march over there and charge him while he rolled dice. The only fun part was figuring out what color his face would be at the end when he realized he wasn't getting more than 10 points for the game. Yes I was a git and yes I did get a poor sportsmanship score from him, but I frankly didn't care.

That's brilliant! :D

TrojanWolf
24-03-2012, 10:06

I approve. I hope you didn't give him much of a sportsmanship score either, 'cause pre-game bragging like that is pretty *******.

Stirme2008
24-03-2012, 19:39

Hey alls fair love and war. Gotta work with what you got

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Waagh Rider
24-03-2012, 19:49

I did the same thing once in 7th with my High Elves against a Dark Elf BlackGuard Bunker + shades and crossbowmen army. I killed some shades and took a wound off his hydra. He killed a couple of shadow warriors and spearmen. It was worth it for the look on his face when he realised I wasn't going to play the game he wanted me to....

Raukaris
25-03-2012, 12:00
This one guy hates losing, so he almost always fields Teclis.

Irresistable force for every roll of a double you say?
No miscats ever you say?
A gazillion dice you say?
Lore of Life you say?

Well nevermind this then.

Freakiq
25-03-2012, 15:56
7th Edition Wood Elves vs Dwarfs.

He had a Warmachine-heavy army supported by an Anvil atop a hill.

His Anvil killed about 1-2 units a turn while his Warmachines auto-hit my units hiding in the forest.
Any charge I made was shot to **** as a charge reaction, any attempt at magic was easily dispelled.

There was literally nothing I could do to win, even with loaded dice I wouldn't have stood a chance.

nurgle5
25-03-2012, 16:13
The most boring game I've ever had was a recent one. 750pts civil war game, WoC vs WoC. I took a block of marauders and some knights; he took a hundred man unit of marauders headed up by Wulfrik. We ended up playing Blood and Glory (because of our lists, if our general died we lost); the civil war table said that if our general died, we lost. Knights and marauders engage his big unit, he fails a fear test, marauders easily club the now WS1 Ulfrik to death. Over in a couple of turns, a rather unexciting affair altogether.

/snip/

I very much approve of this; excellent story. I would definitely consider doing this in future if I ever find myself in a similar situation :evilgrin:.

This one guy hates losing, so he almost always fields Teclis.

Irresistable force for every roll of a double you say?
No miscats ever you say?
A gazillion dice you say?
Lore of Life you say?

Well nevermind this then.

Teclis you say? 4 cannons I say.

What army do you play? My own experience is that Teclis is only as good as the player's ability to bunker him properly.

7th Edition Wood Elves vs Dwarfs.

He had a Warmachine-heavy army supported by an Anvil atop a hill.

His Anvil killed about 1-2 units a turn while his Warmachines auto-hit my units hiding in the forest.
Any charge I made was shot to **** as a charge reaction, any attempt at magic was easily dispelled.

There was literally nothing I could do to win, even with loaded dice I wouldn't have stood a chance.

Don't WE have a spell that makes them immune to non magical fire? Also how deep in the woods were your units? IRCC you could only see so far into terrain.

Dyrnwyn
26-03-2012, 21:07
Don't WE have a spell that makes them immune to non magical fire? Also how deep in the woods were your units? IRCC you could only see so far into terrain.

Requires you to a) roll that particular spell, and b) not have the spell dispelled. And you can bet that if he did roll that spell, that his opponent would be saving his extra dispel dice just for that, since it would nullify his advantage. Also, 2" was how far you could see into woods. If he had Glade Guard trying to shoot from the woods, he'd be at 2" and see and be seen. That'd be the same sort of game as the ogre v dwarf game posted above.

pointyteeth
26-03-2012, 22:00
Battle for the Pass at an 8th edition tournament. My Throgg army with Trolls & Ogres vs. Dwarven gunline. Move up, remove models, repeat for 5 turns. 4 Tzeentch Marauders made it to combat and killed 1 thunderer...then died.

Sunner
26-03-2012, 22:05
Yeah its was a dull game, the goblins should make an interesting change.

dimetri1
27-03-2012, 00:03
It was back when Tomb Kings first came out, back when skirmishers had 360 LOS. I had a Casket list. Bunkered on and around a hill. My opponent had an all Skink army. He never made it into combat. Felt bad for him.

major soma
27-03-2012, 08:56
Most boring ever?

That would have to be wood elves vs dark elves. I was playing a non cheese list versus my sister I deployed my army (woodelves) then we removed the barrier and I found myself facing two rwapter bolt throwers a large block of spearmen with a sorceress and what she called the train a massive unit of cold one knights with Malus Darkblade, Maelkith and a battlestandard bearer. Nothing could stop it it just steamrolled everything I had. Loads of spearmen died to power the magic phases it was not just boring it felt like a waste of my time.

Kallstrom
27-03-2012, 09:07
Battle for the Pass at an 8th edition tournament. My Throgg army with Trolls & Ogres vs. Dwarven gunline. Move up, remove models, repeat for 5 turns. 4 Tzeentch Marauders made it to combat and killed 1 thunderer...then died.

That single dwarf thunderer was going to grow up (grow older) and become the new leader that united all the dwarf clans and holds. So you can claim moral victory, even though you lost all of your brutes killing him. :)

Yamabushi
27-03-2012, 09:50
@dimetri1

That's the most epic thing I've ever heard. Thanks for the laughs! hahahhaha!

Orcboy_Phil
27-03-2012, 16:50
Not sure about the most boring I've played in but the most boring I saw lasted only 30 minutes. A shooty horde of Dark Elves vs a pure Khorne army. Terrain had scatted forming a a choke point and neither army advanced into it. It ended on turn 6 with no models killed and no units more then half way across the board. That was a terrible game.

arquarian
27-03-2012, 16:53
Back in 3rd ed 40k my hybrid (less than optimised) eldar got shot off the table by turn 2 by the all spangly new Tau. the game litterally went for me...
set-up
dead pile
end.

Freenut
28-03-2012, 05:10

Had a game like this in a local tourny last year. Me and my opponent were both playing High Elves. The major diffrence between our lists was that I had a lvl 4 mage equiped with a scroll and robes and a BSB with a no magic banner while he had Teclis in a bunker with the banner of the World Dragon. He got to deploy 1st and starts to put his army in one corner. I put an eagle down on the same side behind some terrain. By his second drop it was plain he was going to put all of his army in that corner with Teclis in the back. So I just claim the opposite corner with my army. He gets 1st turn and moves up slightly to cast spells at the only thing in range: my eagle. My 1st turn I fly the eagle out of range and end my turn. Turn 2 goes about the same. Turn 3 he see that he will have to chace me so marches toward my corner. I mangaded to hit his big horde of spearmen in the front with Miasma and stall his line. Seeing that I was not going to let him get close to my army he called it there. I kinda felt bad but just did not want to play that game.

Luigi
30-03-2012, 00:46
I would have to say that it was my very first game. I remember him saying: "we'll take each step slowly so that you'll learn what happens first, what after ect." I was playing Dwarf he was playing lizardmen. He starts by casting stuff and just saying: "roll 10 dices; ok 6 more, ok remove 4 models" the rest of the game was just that me moving around randomly my models and rollijng a few dice when he would tell me. Once I started actually learning the rules i then stated enjoing more the game, also because almost al the other players I've met where more entertaining than he was

popisdead
30-03-2012, 21:48
7th Ed, any of the power three. 8th ed seems to have less of an issue regarding this for me.

herohammer
01-04-2012, 03:08
Probably DE pendant lord with old ogre kingdoms book deathstar list...300 pt guy neutralizes 1500 pts np gg.

I had a game the other week with new ogres verses new vc where I only lost 2 models in the entire game but that game was actually quite exciting since it was such an obviously hillarious outlier and my opponent took it in stride and thought it was funny too.

willsm
01-04-2012, 09:19
i don't think games are boring.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
01-04-2012, 10:12
My most boring game ever was in 6ed, my list was geared to be tough( night goblin lv4, 3gobbo lv2, bsb, big boss general, 12 fanatic's, 4 chukka's, 4 chariots, 2 doomdivers). I was facing a pretty small chaos army i get first turn and try to cast Gorks warpath, I miscast but I have an item that let me re roll one spell so I re roll once again a mistcast. So I roll on the miscast table a 6 which means I cast the spell with total power and have to roll again, I rol again 6. In total I manage to rol 7 total power gorks warpaths. After working them al out there is not left a single model from my opponent his army.

A battle from 2200pts done in 12 minutes, al my opponents models removed and my lv4 turned into a squig.

After the battle we had a good drink.

selone
01-04-2012, 10:43
Hmm I have a few which I hope reflects more on the 7th ed Tourny scene and less on my own play ;)

7th Ed Tournament Orcs versus dwarves. It was a gunline dwarf army and my army it had to be said had a decent amount of shooting. Someone had lent him the army, he castled up but left a small part of his flank exposed. I marched at him attempting to bring him to battle, had my generals unit squabble and then thought ah well even the dice are telling me not to go forwards and I stuck where I was. Oh apart from the Fast Cavalry who managed to get into his artillery eventually. I won the game (solid victory) and I don't think necessaraily anyone was to blame just the squabble result meant the small chance I had of getting to him with enough numbers was not going to happen so we just stared across the batlefield whilst my 3 units of cavalry took advantage of a gap and a poorly performing Flame Cannon to run amok.

8th edition TK vs Bretts. I was using TK and had no real tin openers in my army (no casket, archers, spearmen horde etc), he has all core/special knights and is a cautious player. On turn 3 he finally charges me as I ineffectively ping skulls at him. The combats are all still going on turn 6. I win the game according to the 8th ed if you don't kill the unit you don't get any VP's rules by something like 300 to 100 (an unit of Questing Knights got killed by a miscast). It was just an incredibly dull game with many, eternal combats where we seemed to throw loads of dice for no real effect. Whilst I technically won I felt as if I lost and agreed the game should have been a draw.

8th Ed Tournament Ogre Kings (before the new book) versus Chosen Death Star. This was in a tournament where I had seen the army steam roller its opponents (it had chosen horde, warrior horde and 2 altars) against a balanced Ogre army that I had lent for the tournament. I knew I could not beat the list and deployed a throw away unit, and another on one flank then the rest of my army on the other one. He killed both units and never got into another combat and I got one war altar down to a wound and nearly got the other one running away. I lost by 150ish to 0 VP's (a war altar would have drawn it) and it was a very quick but dull game (worthy of the title thread). I think we both knew what was going to happen and that made it even worse.

And by far the worst

7th Ed Tournament Warriors of Chaos (Khorne Knights) Vs Vampire Counts (Ghoul spam)
Firstly let it be said I was playing against the tournament organiser who because he was the organiser knew everyone's lists and incidentally went on to win his own tournament. He had two units of wraiths and was using dice as ghouls (where a 5 on the dice represented 5 ghouls) which he ran out of. He waited back, screamed at my knights and conjured hundreds of ghouls eventually counter-attacking and getting a solid win after I decided to just run away then started to pass my turns. I was new to the tournament and he outright made up some of the rules (such as lone characters having to wheel, the amount of Power dice he had etc).

Kahadras
01-04-2012, 10:50
Back in 7th ed I was playing my Wood Elves. Went up against a Dark Elf army consisting of nothing but shooting and magic. Pretty much all there was in the list was Sorceresses, warriors with repeater crossbows, dark riders, shades and bolt throwers. He got the first turn and that was pretty much it. The tree spirits got magiced to death while the Elves went down to a hail of crossbow bolts. Fun times.

Kahadras