PDA

View Full Version : Von Carstein themed Vampire Counts (No SCs) - 2000

Spoonie
02-03-2012, 10:17
So I had this idea to do a skeleton and wolf themed VC army. A little bit more of an undead professional army look that might come from Sylvania. I thought it would be neat and pretty easy to paint, but I couldn't figure out a way to make it at least fairly competitive. I'm probably not going to be trying to win any tournaments any time soon, but I like to play hard, so even with a themey list I'd like to try and win. Here's my latest attempt:

Vampire Lord
Level 4
Heavy Armor
Sword of Bloodshed
Enchanted Shield
Potion of Strength
Quickblood
Red Fury

Vampire
Heavy Armor, Shield
Dragonhelm
Seed of Rebirth
Forbidden Lore - Beasts

49 Skeleton Warriors
Spears, Standard

49 Skeleton Warriors
Spears, Standard

5 Dire Wolves

5 Dire Wolves

35 Grave Guard
Great Weapons, Banner of the Barrows

6 Crypt Horrors (Giant Wolves)

2x1 Spirit Host

Mortis Engine

Best way I could think of to get skeletons to work was Wildform with spears, backed by a Mortis Engine. Against really killy stuff I could still bus up to limit return attacks. Both units get a vamp to help them along as well. Other than that, I went with the Graveguard and Horrors for my killy units and threw in some dire wolves and spirit hosts to harass. I was only planning on bringing 4 Horrors but I had exactly enough points for 2 more when I was nearing the end of my list and didn't know what to add.

Kinda worried about the Mortis Engine being the only real cannon target, but I could always pull a page out of the O&G playbook and put the Horrors right in front of it 2 deep and hope their regen stops the cannonball.

I'd like to find a way to add black knights, love the new models, but I really don't think they bring enough to the table compared to the Grave Guard or Horrors. Maybe at 2250 if I don't add a monster or coach instead...

Lemme know whatcha think!

m1acca1551
02-03-2012, 10:27
I'd swap out quick blood for fear incarnate, I7 means you will be striking first in most cases and your not wielding a great weapon. Take the screaming banner on a unit of skeletons with your lord in it and they will be quite a nasty combo, forcing LD on a 3d6 whilct canceling out the BSB hold your ground.

Black coach is a must for a Von carstein themed army, it is by far the fluffiest choice. Bat swarms are a pretty fluffy and now that they cause ASL they are a must in my army.

Athariel
02-03-2012, 10:29
With 2 large skeleton blocks I think a necromancer with master of the dead and a dispel scroll would be really useful.

In terms of fluff Konrad did use Necromancers to raise skeletons for him during his reign.

I would personally also prefer the Black Knights over the Crypt Horrors.

Never used a Mortis Engine so can't comment on that. Maybe swap it for a Varghulf or some Vargheists to give you some manoeuvrability as all the other units except the wolves are relatively slow. Both would fit the Von Carstein Fluff as well.

m1acca1551
02-03-2012, 10:45
With 2 large skeleton blocks I think a necromancer with master of the dead and a dispel scroll would be really useful.

In terms of fluff Konrad did use Necromancers to raise skeletons for him during his reign.

I would personally also prefer the Black Knights over the Crypt Horrors.

Never used a Mortis Engine so can't comment on that. Maybe swap it for a Varghulf or some Vargheists to give you some manoeuvrability as all the other units except the wolves are relatively slow. Both would fit the Von Carstein Fluff as well.

Very true about the necromancer.... drop the levels on your lord, as unless taking a SC like mannfred there kinda wasted.

Spoonie
02-03-2012, 11:04
Quick Blood is for the re-rolls to hit, not for actually going first.

I had dismissed the master of the dead necro initially, because I didn't want to spend too much on characters, and didn't want to plan on starting the skeletons too small and hoping they got bigger. But in retrospect, I could do 2 units of 39 skeletons along with a 10 skeleton bunker for the necro in question. That would still give me 2 decent sized skeleton units and actually save me a few points in core. I'd probably want to spend some of it on the tome upgrade for the Engine if I keep it, though. Pretty important spell to be casting for a level 1 or 2.

As for black knights over Horrors, I dunno. 10 Black Knights with lances are just a couple points more than the 6 horrors I was looking at. The Horrors are probably putting out more kills unless armor is a serious obstacle. Plus they're more durable and synergize with the mortis engine really well. I dunno if the Knights' speed advantage stacks up. But then again they're really sexy so I dunno! :) Pretty conveniently close points totals so I could always pick one option up later and try them both. The only other thing that makes me lean towards the horrors is if I need to shave points to fit in the necro that was mentioned, or change the list in other ways, I'd feel better about having a unit of 4 or 5 horrors than a unit of 6 or 7 Black Knights.

And finally, on the Mortis Engine, I keep waffling on it. At times I want to drop it because it feels like I've crossed into the territory of spending too many points on trying to make my skeletons worth a damn. Plus there's so much other stuff I want to fit in. But it's doing so much other crap that I find myself wanting to keep it the other half of the time. Saving some of the skeletal horde is nice, but it's also bringing the horrors from a 5+ to a 4+ regen, bumping the vampire hero from a 6+ to a 5+ regen, giving the master of the dead necro (since I might add him now) +2 on those invocations to add up the skeletons- Plus it might do some damage on top of that.

Edit: @m1: Gah posted while I was typing. Originally I had planned to run only a vampire lord, so just kind of copy and pasted him around between lists. When I started adding characters to try and make my skeletons idea work, I hadn't even thought about dropping levels on him. Might be an idea to shave some points since I primarily want him for the murder and I'd have to rely on other level 1 and 2 casters anyways. I also almost kind of want to add level 2 to the beast vampire, as well. Spells 2-5 could be pretty damn handy, plus it's +1 to casting.

Off to tinker with the list...

Spoonie
02-03-2012, 11:30
Double post, but after trying to add up a second list, I realized I made a gross math error with my first list. I think I didn't add a unit of skeletons or something. Maybe I should just shell out for army builder lol. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Also, thought more about the lord. If I were to drop levels on the lord, it might be a better idea to go with a ghoul king. I've already got the Mortis engine around, so the regen is a plus. Also I save some points not needing Quickblood for the re-rolls. But being only level 1 I'm only looking at 1 or 2 spells on the necro list aside from invocation, and Hellish Vigor and the Dance are so good I don't know if I want to give up so many rolls for spells. Plus dispelling without a level 4...

Maybe I'll toy with a master necro build. Although I'd hate to give up one of the skeleton units being a genuine threat by losing those 10+ kills a turn from red fury schenanigans.