PDA

View Full Version : New Empire Battalion box

Bigman
02-03-2012, 12:30
With the Empire battalion box now no longer available, I was thinking that this may mean a shift in what's in the box, both in terms of models and different units.

I wondered if anyone had ideas of what may be in the new box, or ideas as to what they think would be sensible?

Marauder_chieftan
02-03-2012, 14:24
Wait what?

Thunderbelly
02-03-2012, 14:49
The Empire batallion is still in the gw site, at least for the US site anyway.

lbecks
02-03-2012, 14:51
The Empire Battalion box is no longer available in the UK, but still available in the US. It's rumored that it's going to be changed in some way with the rumored Empire April releases.

theJ
02-03-2012, 16:27
If we make comparisons with the last battalion released (Vampire Counts), then we might expect a box-size based on points rather than cost, backed by at most one special choice (VCs got a Corpse Cart, which costs between 90-121pts, assuming you don't take it as a mount).

My guess would be something like this(depending on how the detachment rules turn out):
20-30 State Troopers
20 Handgunners/Crossbowmen
10 Archers
1 Cannon/Mortar

Don't take my word for gospel, though.

Bigman
02-03-2012, 17:03
If we make comparisons with the last battalion released (Vampire Counts), then we might expect a box-size based on points rather than cost, backed by at most one special choice (VCs got a Corpse Cart, which costs between 90-121pts, assuming you don't take it as a mount).

My guess would be something like this(depending on how the detachment rules turn out):
20-30 State Troopers
20 Handgunners/Crossbowmen
10 Archers
1 Cannon/Mortar

Don't take my word for gospel, though.

I think the knights might go. Maybe for something like you said, although 20 crossbows seems alot!

Personally I think 5 pistoleros would fit nicely,

30 combat state troops

10-15 ranged state troops

5 pistoliers

Cannon/mortar

That is an out the box army straight off, and allows them to get people to pay 25.50 for 10 greatswords :-(

Tarliyn
02-03-2012, 17:21
I better get 1 or 2 of the current box then for some better value greatswords : /

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigman
02-03-2012, 17:58
I better get 1 or 2 of the current box then for some better value greatswords : /

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not certain, but it wouldn't surprise me.

theJ
02-03-2012, 18:37
@bigman:
The problem with Pistoliers is that we've already got one special choice in the form of the cannon/mortar kit (which is a spiritual core to the empire army).

VCs got two solid combat blocks(20 skellies, 20 ghouls), a block of core light cav(10 wolves) and a cheap special choice chariot(corpse cart)
Assuming there's some kind of overlap here, we ought to get two solid core blocks(one of which is state troopers, I guessed they might consider handgunners/crossbowmen to be the other block, but my experience of the empire army is quite small...), one block of "other core"(these I guessed would be archers - a unit of skirmishers would help make for an interesting starting army) and finally a cheap semi-centrepiece special choice (which I guessed would be a cannon, due to how central it is to the empire army).

If there's a problem with my selection, I'd say it's probably that three out of four choices are ranged... Perhaps there ought to be some free company in there? Tactically knights would work, but their current sculpts are quite old... If we allow a second special choice, greatswords would fit quite well, too...

Charistoph
02-03-2012, 20:06
Don't forget, they also usually add in 1+ box of whatever new sculpt is in the army book. If they redo knights, don't be surprised to still see them there.

vinush
02-03-2012, 20:32
Not with VC they didn't.

What was the new sculpt in the OK and TK battalions?

THE \/ince

Bigman
02-03-2012, 20:54
Not with VC they didn't.

What was the new sculpt in the OK and TK battalions?

THE \/ince

Don't know about sculpts but OK old box was--

6 bulls
4 guts
4 lead belches
24 gnoblars

The new box has:

6 ogres
6 guts
4 leadbelchers. (2 extra ironguts for 24 gnoblars)

I agree with the double special argument being low chance, but struggling to see what they can do to change the contents, apart from of course reducing the contents.

I think it will be closer to original response with states, archers and a cannon, which makes for a boring box!

I really hope to see some cavalry in their. Something fast moving to give the box some balance.

loveless
02-03-2012, 21:02
Don't forget, they also usually add in 1+ box of whatever new sculpt is in the army book. If they redo knights, don't be surprised to still see them there.

Only for "late release" battalions/battleforces, otherwise they cannibalize sales of the new kit.

We haven't seen this in recent Fantasy releases as the 4 battalions have all had models that had been out for some time. I believe O&G had the most recent with the Boar Boyz, but those were released well in advance of the Army Book.

GW seems "smart" enough to know that Fantasy armies require a fair few troops and such to play properly in 8th - I'd expect an Empire battalion composed of current models in a slightly different mix than they are now.

Honestly, I wish GW would do more than one battalion per army...I recall for awhile in 7th it was rather easy to get ahold of the Empire battalion and the Empire Reinforcement battalion (which, for all its "limitedness" seemed to be around for ages). Give me a battalion with mostly core and a special, then give me another that's special/rare with a little (if any) core. *sigh* Pardon the daydreaming.

Bigman
02-03-2012, 23:54
Only for "late release" battalions/battleforces, otherwise they cannibalize sales of the new kit.

We haven't seen this in recent Fantasy releases as the 4 battalions have all had models that had been out for some time. I believe O&G had the most recent with the Boar Boyz, but those were released well in advance of the Army Book.

GW seems "smart" enough to know that Fantasy armies require a fair few troops and such to play properly in 8th - I'd expect an Empire battalion composed of current models in a slightly different mix than they are now.

Honestly, I wish GW would do more than one battalion per army...I recall for awhile in 7th it was rather easy to get ahold of the Empire battalion and the Empire Reinforcement battalion (which, for all its "limitedness" seemed to be around for ages). Give me a battalion with mostly core and a special, then give me another that's special/rare with a little (if any) core. *sigh* Pardon the daydreaming.

The other option would be to keep the knights but do and O&G and knock em to 5 --

30 combat troops
10-16 ranged troops
5 knights
Cannon/mortar

That would work nicely for people buying two boxes ( giving them a 1500 point army easily if the did)

I don't know why but I just feel greatswords will be left out. There is far too much potential money to be made by making the greatswords only available in the boxes of ten, so it would make sense to keep them out.

Much like the lack of Black Orcs in O&G box, Lack of grave guard in Vc, Temple guard in TK. Ogres got guts, but no new man eaters box set, and no man eaters in battalion box.

I hope I'm wrong because the battalions would be good if they kept the 10 Greatswords.

Arliens
02-03-2012, 23:59
30 combat troops
10-16 ranged troops
5 knights
Cannon/mortar

I would personally love a battalion box like that and something tells me that is precisely why it won't be that.

Malendil
03-03-2012, 00:21
I definitely think that the battalion should include a cannon/mortar as a special choice. This helps make for a more usable force out of the box. I bought the current battalion a few weeks ago to round out my troops and greatswords on the suspicion that the new battalion won't be as cost effective.

Bigman
03-03-2012, 00:30
I would personally love a battalion box like that and something tells me that is precisely why it won't be that.

I know exactly what you mean!

What with the changes to battalions so far and the removal of the painting articles, I think the best course of action will be for us to assume GW will try to screw us with a s**t box set.

AlphariusOmegon20
03-03-2012, 06:14
I'd expect 20 State Troops, 20 Handgunners, and a Cannon. Most battalions seem to be following that design.

Bigman
03-03-2012, 09:24
I'd expect 20 State Troops, 20 Handgunners, and a Cannon. Most battalions seem to be following that design.

I really hope not...two boxes then means you get 40 (!) missile troops. And also through that your army becomes something resembling a gun line nearly automatically. (40 guns - 2 cannons).

No doubt though that GW will suddenly decide that the above is a good idea for contents.

I think the main point here so far is that it will include a cannon/mortar, which means Greatswords could well be for the chop.