PDA

View Full Version : Stone trolls chance of update

Forse
02-03-2012, 18:00
Hello. I've been thinking about making a troll army for warhammer (using OK rules) and am currently considering models to use. Since the metal stone trolls are quite old and havent been done in finecast, do you think theres any chance of them being updated soon? Or vanilla trolls for that matter?

BigbyWolf
02-03-2012, 18:26
Chance they're being remade- High.
Any idea when- No.

Due to the fact that they're old, and not Finecast I'd say it's a given they'll do new ones, especially when you consider just how popular the new River Ones are.

What about a kit that can do Normals, Stones and Chaos? The River ones are a different shape to standard trolls, and kinda always have been. Stone & Chaos trolls have a similar build, so a joint set would be useful.

Welfstar
02-03-2012, 19:19
I wouldn't expect plastics any time soon.

I was at a GW back when Storm of Magic was released and they had a Power Point-sorta screen saver on their order terminal showing older Monster figs on the docket to be released in Finecast. The Stone Troll models were shown.

I hope I'm wrong 'cos I'd really like to see new Stone Troll plastics (similar to how the River Troll were done), but it seems we'll be stuck with the old sculpts for a while yet.

Forse
03-03-2012, 14:26
I see. Thanks for the answers. Fact is, tthe Stone Troll models are really nice, so I wouldn't be surprised if GW decides to keep them for a while. There are many old sculpts that haven't aged nearly as well as the Stone Trolls.

Scalebug
03-03-2012, 19:25
Yeah, they are nice models, even at pushing 20 years of use now, being an early 4th ed release (or even late 3rd, possibly?).

Don't think they are that high on priority though, as the model labled just "troll" painted blue-grey instead of brown or pale green makes an entirely passable stonetroll (though lacking the characteristic floppy ears that some people hate and some love. I personally don't mind them), but it's rather safe to say they will get an update sooner or later.

Mutations to dual-kit it with Chaos Trolls seems likely. Maybe even, eh... what do you call the "three" equivalent to dual? it slips my mind atm, doing "vanilla" trolls in plastic with parts to make them "stone" or "chaos". Conserving shelf-space and all that.

Forse
03-03-2012, 20:52
Yes, that would be a good idea. I hope they would keep the noses of the stone trolls, though. I prefer them to the nose-less common trolls.

Evil Hypnotist
03-03-2012, 21:47
I love the stone troll models, my Chaos trolls are a mix of those and the Chaos ones....then again I'm not that big of a fan of the River Trolls so each to his own! :P

Sheena Easton
03-03-2012, 22:26
I'd be happy with them in Finecast - they are excellent sculpts - but only if its all 6 of are recast as they were (so separate heads only for those that originally had them).

Yeah, they are nice models, even at pushing 20 years of use now, being an early 4th ed release (or even late 3rd, possibly?).

Early 4th - the first three single part ones were released alongside the Forest Goblins roundabout WD157 which IIRC was three months after the release of 4th with the other three with the separate heads a few months later.

AlphariusOmegon20
04-03-2012, 06:30
Chance they're being remade- High.
Any idea when- No.

Due to the fact that they're old, and not Finecast I'd say it's a given they'll do new ones, especially when you consider just how popular the new River Ones are.

What about a kit that can do Normals, Stones and Chaos? The River ones are a different shape to standard trolls, and kinda always have been. Stone & Chaos trolls have a similar build, so a joint set would be useful.

That's assuming we get to even KEEP Chaos Trolls in the next book. I can see at least one of the monstrous Infantry we have going away permanently, and I 'd lay money it's not the Drogres, and have my doubts about it being Chaos Ogres.