PDA

View Full Version : Thorek: overpowered, okay or 'meh'?

The bearded one
02-03-2012, 19:21
After the ETC thread discussed the ban on special characters and Thorek came up, I was wondering how people think about Thorek Ironbrow, the dwarf anvil of doom special character. Do you consider him overpowered, or that he's fairly balanced, possibly due to the editionchange, or that he really isn't that impressive? I think a lot of hatred towards him still stems from 7th edition, where his powers were more useful in conjunction with the rules (charging dwarfs! wrath&ruin killing MSU units!). He has also been errata'd to nerf his reroll to a one use only, instead of all the time.

Von Wibble
02-03-2012, 19:24
I think he's OK now. The lack of reroll makes it less likely to go for broke, meaning a standard runelord can often achieve a lot more (he can be harder to assassinate for example).

Howver, being mainly an elf player I have to say you made a mistake not letting me choose "he's OK" and "death to the dwarfs!" both together. I had to choose only 1 and I think you know which.

The bearded one
02-03-2012, 19:37
I should've added "death to the elves" as an option..

Von Wibble
02-03-2012, 21:52
One to add to your personal book of grudges.

dimetri1
02-03-2012, 22:35
I think he's OK now. The lack of reroll makes it less likely to go for broke, meaning a standard runelord can often achieve a lot more (he can be harder to assassinate for example).

What do you meen lack of a reroll?

eron12
02-03-2012, 22:38
What do you meen lack of a reroll?

I presume he mains the rule change that makes it so Thorek only gets a single reroll a game, rather than a reroll on every anvil strike.

I don't know if Thorek is balanced or not, but I do know that I don't think I would ever take him in a game. In my personal opinion he's not worth it, but that doesn't mean he's not balanced.

tmarichards
02-03-2012, 22:41
As per the Errata, Thorek only gets his re-roll once per game.

He also has the problem of being hard-counted by the most common lore in the current competitive meta-game. I know it's not the easiest thing in the world to Pit him, especially with the anti-magic Dwarfs can put out, but it's not the best situation for him. That said, if someone cannot deal with him then they're in for a rough game unless he blows himself up.

The bearded one
02-03-2012, 22:42
The fact that over a third of the votes so far is for 'death to the dwarfs' is a tribute to GWs skill at making dwarfs the punching bag..

eron12
02-03-2012, 22:50
The fact that over a third of the votes so far is for 'death to the dwarfs' is a tribute to GWs skill at making dwarfs the punching bag..

I don't know, it is the coolest sounding option. If I wasn't a dwarf player I would have been tempted to pick that over the other rather bland responses.*

*Not to say that GW doesn't make dwarfs the punching bag.

Drongol
03-03-2012, 00:44
Frankly, he's... Kinda bad, actually. I mean, he's expensive, Shadow magic just totally kicks him in the junk, and he's just slightly better at using Ancient Power (and honestly, I wouldn't take the risk of Ancient Power unless it was actually applicable and useful). Plus, people seem to focus on the 7th Edition Dwarf Gunline and think that slowing a unit is important when, in fact, a shooting phase charge is so much better these days.

Still, compared to a vanilla Runelord on an Anvil with 2 Spellbreakers and Balance, kept well away and preferably behind a building or something, Thorek compares very poorly.

Snake1311
03-03-2012, 01:08
Lets see... A normal Anvil carrying some dispell shizz will come to under 400 pts
Thorek with a supporting runesmith to actually carry dispell stuff is over 600.
He can still be instagibbed pit/sun/dwellers, giving away 500+ (600+ if general) points.
He will explode on his own over 20% of the time - so on average a bit more than once per tournament. That game is then almost always an autoloss, even more so than with a normal Anvil.
His best power is the extra movement, which means the dwarf also needs at least 3 combat units to make full use of it, severly restricting the list choices (so far, 3 units, runesmith, thorek - already approaching the 2000pt mark before including any other warmachines or characters).
The slowing thing is pretty overrated (unless it grounds M1 disks of Tz) and having a random amount of targets doesn't do it any favours.

Verdict: a resounding MEH. Will be better than other standard dwarf builds in certain cases, but I doubt it will outperform them in general. Arguably easier to chumpbash with if you know what you're doing and aren't too unlucky, since newbies can't plan around the suddenly quick dwarfs.

Souppilgrim
03-03-2012, 07:57
He was overpowered, but in 8th and with the errata...he's MEH.

Wesser
03-03-2012, 10:26
Anvil of Doom and Runelords are fairly poor design. Runesmiths and runelords are plain boring DD carriers, and having a lord choice doing nothing but hitting an anvil? Damn, I hope for teh dwarves that Anvil gets the Casket treatment.

As for Thorek.. I dont find the abilities of the anvil that crazy so the little buff doesnt make him overpowered. He's not a very interesting special character however, as he's only a slightly souped-up version of the standard guy, so I'd never include him.