PDA

View Full Version : Lots a Dreads

Spleen Hammer
02-03-2012, 20:11
Heya,
I was reading the SM Codex the other day and came across the Master o' the Forge's rules. Dreadnoughts can be used as Heavy choices as well as Elite choices. So here's my question, how viable would it be to have a force of a Master of the Forge, a generic captain, 6 dreads, 2 Tac squads and maybe a couple of Rhinos?

Other than being cost prohibitive, I think that could be a blast.

What say you?

Spleen Hammer

trigger
02-03-2012, 20:12
It's almost a blood angel army :)

Spleen Hammer
02-03-2012, 21:00
Huh. I was thinking a couple Ironclads, a couple of "regular" dreads (ranged and close combat wpn) and a couple of dedicated shooty dreads (twin autocannons, etc.). That could be brutal as hal.

So what makes that almost a Blood Angel army? I've yet to read that codex.

Freman Bloodglaive
02-03-2012, 21:06
Heya,
I was reading the SM Codex the other day and came across the Master o' the Forge's rules. Dreadnoughts can be used as Heavy choices as well as Elite choices. So here's my question, how viable would it be to have a force of a Master of the Forge, a generic captain, 6 dreads, 2 Tac squads and maybe a couple of Rhinos?

Other than being cost prohibitive, I think that could be a blast.

What say you?

Spleen Hammer

The Captain adds nothing to the army, just drop him.

I have six dreads, four with twin autocannon, two with multi-melta heavy flamer, and I've found that with the addition of ten scouts I can play them in 1000 points. It's always good for a laugh.

Gunless Ganger
02-03-2012, 21:10
Heya,

What say you?

I Say - I love it! I have the exact same army! :-p Seriously! I have 2 Ironclads, 2 Venerables, 2 Black Reach Dreads, 1 Regular dread, and 1 set of dread legs from Ebay with some spare bits & magnets can become either a venerable or Ironclad.

I usually drop 2 Ironclads behind their lines and one cheap melta dread in front - giving them lots of targets.

I don't know anything about tournaments and all that but it's quite fun and does well with my friends. Just beware of large blobs of infantry charging you. Even 2hand weapon Ironclads take forever to stomp through them (if ever!) they just don't have enough attacks and if they get a lucky grenade and blow an arm off, you're basically stuck there all game.

Oh... and Zoanthropes. Man I hate those things.

Huh. I was thinking a couple Ironclads, a couple of "regular" dreads (ranged and close combat wpn) and a couple of dedicated shooty dreads (twin autocannons, etc.). That could be brutal as hal.
So what makes that almost a Blood Angel army? I've yet to read that codex.

I think the blood angel thing is because they can get Dread as troops - Death company dreads? But they can't get Venerables or Ironclads.

Kevlar
02-03-2012, 21:27
I think chaos could do it better. Demon princes, greater demons, dreads, and defilers.

Gunless Ganger
02-03-2012, 21:46
I think chaos could do it better. Demon princes, greater demons, dreads, and defilers.

Well that's true - a Space Marine army does lack the ability to take Demon Princes and Greater Demons in an army that's supposed to have lots of Dreads...
:confused:

Kevlar
02-03-2012, 22:02
Well that's true - a Space Marine army does lack the ability to take Demon Princes and Greater Demons in an army with lots of Dreads...
:shifty:

Not to mention you can't put battle cannons on loyalist dreads.

KeyOfTwilight
02-03-2012, 22:11
Why stop at regular dreads? Get yourself a contemptor mortis pattern with twin linked kheres assault cannons and a contemptor cyclone missile launcher. Toss that thing down in a lucius drop pod and watch people cringe when you throw 12 ap4 str 6 shots with rending at anything, plus 2 missiles. Heck, take 2 even.

Bookwrak
02-03-2012, 22:21
I've done the 6 dreads at 1K just for the hell of it, but the problem with the 6 dread list is that relatively speaking, it's very light on the firepower. It's a list that can be both very durable, and very fragile, as all it takes is your opponent getting three lucky shots on one turn, and you're down nearly half your army, and the volume of fire it puts out in return is not all that much.

It's certainly a change in the way the game is played, and my opponents always seem to have a good time against it (maybe because they usually win :P) and it makes the game play out very differently.

carldooley
02-03-2012, 22:27
When I ran such a list, I made a point to only take 5 dreadnoughts. It always helps to have a surprise - like a Crusader carrying 8 TH\SS terminators.
also - a dreadnought is great for giving razorbacks cover (while a razorback's turret can fire over it unobstructed).

then, make a point to give them all the same loadout and keep them together. 5 dreadnoughts all with 2 TL autocannons (just an example, you can give them something different if you want), and keeping them together like they are a squad is great. then your opponent starts to think of them as such - then you can start playing games with your opponent.

angelofrage
02-03-2012, 22:33
Brayarth Ashmantle (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Dreadnoughts/SALAMANDERS-VENERABLE-DREADNOUGHT-BRAYARTH-ASHMANTLE_BODY.html)
3x Contemptor Dreadnoughts
2x Scout squads
3x Lucious Drop Pods
3x Mortis Contemptor Dreadnoughts

=Win?

ss_cherubael
03-03-2012, 00:37
Blob imp guard and tie them up forever, they are cool lists but don't perform well in a lot of situations

carldooley
03-03-2012, 03:13
Blob imp guard and tie them up forever, they are cool lists but don't perform well in a lot of situations

who is tying up who? 135 pt blob squad (that isn't going to do anything because it has no upgrades) or a 120 pt rifleman dread? just because you may run them together doesn't mean that they are all going to get tied up in combat. especially not blood talon equipped BA dreads.

TheKillerCoyote
03-03-2012, 04:13
I'm actually in the process of creating such an army at the moment, and so far I'm surprised that people haven't mentioned the second advantage of such an army.
Dreads can take Drop Pods.
50% of those Drop Pods strike in Turn 1.
4 Drop Pods= 2 Ironclads w/ 2 Heavy Flamers right next to your enemy's tender bits from Turn 1.
Cue up "Ode to Joy" as you laugh maniacally.

carldooley
03-03-2012, 04:17
more than that - put your scoring units in drop pods. more punch turn 1, and in objective missions your scoring units are safe that much longer.

TheKillerCoyote
03-03-2012, 04:34
Exactly!
Although there are scenarios where this is an INCREDIBLY BAD IDEA.
For example, always be sure of the exact location of enemy melta, and whether or not you can kill it all on the turn you drop.
Otherwise, the game becomes incredibly short.

Kevlar
03-03-2012, 04:35
I'm actually in the process of creating such an army at the moment, and so far I'm surprised that people haven't mentioned the second advantage of such an army.
Dreads can take Drop Pods.
50% of those Drop Pods strike in Turn 1.
4 Drop Pods= 2 Ironclads w/ 2 Heavy Flamers right next to your enemy's tender bits from Turn 1.
Cue up "Ode to Joy" as you laugh maniacally.

Err, how many armies care about heavy flamers on turn 1? Most everyone is buttoned up in some kind of vehicle, or terminator armor.

TheKillerCoyote
03-03-2012, 04:42
Hey, even if enemy troops are in transports, if you keep the meltagun it can make a serious mess of enemy armor if you drop them in the right spot.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's a turn 1 win.
I'm just saying that it has a huge "holy crap" factor when you've suddenly got two AV 13 walkers with infantry-searing, tank busting artillery RIGHT THERE on your side of the board in Turn 1.

TheKillerCoyote
03-03-2012, 04:44
Of course, if you think it would be more effective, you could always use the Drop Pods to put 2 suits with TL Lascannons and Missile Launchers in prime sniping positions.

KeyOfTwilight
03-03-2012, 08:51
Brayarth Ashmantle (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Dreadnoughts/SALAMANDERS-VENERABLE-DREADNOUGHT-BRAYARTH-ASHMANTLE_BODY.html)
3x Contemptor Dreadnoughts
2x Scout squads
3x Lucious Drop Pods
3x Mortis Contemptor Dreadnoughts

=Win?

Put in a 4th lucius. Bray'arth can't be dropped by a normal pod, but he can by a lucius. That, and he's a huge killer in close combat. I'm actually considering doing a counts as part of my Red Scorpions with a relic contemptor that has 2 claws with inbuilt flamers. A bit of converting, but a great idea since i'm not a salamanders player. But dang, 3 mortis' on the table, that would be rape to anything that moves. Give them all Kheres + Missiles and move them, sit them still, whatever. Effective range on those is 30", 52" on the missiles. At BS 5, you aren't missing too many of those 14 shots. Unload into a troop squad, and anything but 3+ troops will be ripped to shreds.

trigger
04-03-2012, 00:58
You can't put in a 4th lucius as they are now a FA choice

KeyOfTwilight
04-03-2012, 05:13
You can't put in a 4th lucius as they are now a FA choice

oops, forgot about that. Ok, so just walk 1 of the contemptor CC into battle.

trigger
04-03-2012, 10:14
I would take 3 codex dreads as heavy , ( if you can) in normal drop pods .
3 CC contemptors assaulting on turn 1 would be a pain