PDA

View Full Version : The unit that sucks, but you still take them everytime

Gloryseeker
03-03-2012, 21:43
For me its my corpse cart, a 120pt bubble for the ASF. Ive use it all the time and some times the ASF actually does something but most games it either dies from a cannon or just slowly plods up the field never reaching combat and not doing anything.

Once it made my zombies strike the same time as some saurus warriors... yay :/

Still I take it all the time cos the model is awesome.

tmarichards
04-03-2012, 00:02
Cauldron of Blood. It's rubbish in-game, but I just love the GW model...

Von Wibble
04-03-2012, 00:08
Interesting point of view - I thought most people liked the cauldron? 5+ ward for a unit of choice than extra attack in combat seems pretty nice to me - I like it a lot with my own dark elves.

To the OP, do you mean the unit that sucks in theory, or the unit that sucks for you? Often the 2 are not the same.

For example, lots of people seem to not rate sepulchral stalkers, but I use them every game and they generally have done very well for themselves. Meanwhile my tomb scorpion has a reputation for never turning up til turn 6 thanks to misfires and poor reserve rolls.

GotrekFan
04-03-2012, 00:20
Hammerers. In 7th I took 18 with a shieldbearer lord and they either did so few casualties as to make no difference or failed the 1st Ld test they wee called on to take (on Ld10).
Love 'em though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RanaldLoec
04-03-2012, 00:25
For my empire big detachments of freecompanie.

For my warriors big monsters with "shoot me" written on their chest and jugger riding exalteds

Woodelves anything! As apparently GW replaced all the longbows with nerf bows.

Gloryseeker
04-03-2012, 00:53
To the OP, do you mean the unit that sucks in theory, or the unit that sucks for you? Often the 2 are not the same.

Things that suck for you. Units that look good on paper/model wise but just don't seem to cut it on the battlefield. Or just a unit that you have terrible luck with like Gotrekfan's Hammerers.

Rosstifer
04-03-2012, 04:39
Interesting point of view - I thought most people liked the cauldron? 5+ ward for a unit of choice than extra attack in combat seems pretty nice to me - I like it a lot with my own dark elves.

I think he may being sarcastic ;)

Hicks
04-03-2012, 04:42
HW&S dwarf warriors. They can't kill anything, but they are so dwarfish.

The bearded one
04-03-2012, 04:49
I think he may being sarcastic ;)

he better be..

quietus1986
04-03-2012, 05:19
I would say ( in 7ed vampire counts with out the death star ) and at the moment fluff list at tournaments. But that's just me .

Lord Inquisitor
04-03-2012, 05:24
You are talking about the corpse cart in the new vampire book aren't you? I think it's an amazing support unit, relatively cheap for what it does. I wouldn't build a list without it...

abdulaapocolyps
04-03-2012, 09:19
Hw n shield dwarfs again,though I find I get more out of upgrading them to longbeards than GW dwarfs.
WoC chariot.it always sucks for me but I love that thing...

Gobbies
04-03-2012, 09:58
Stupid Giant. never makes his points back

T10
04-03-2012, 18:20
But the Giant is FUN! :)

That's reason enough for me.

Snorky_the_goblin
04-03-2012, 18:49
My lovely fanatics that for some reason always seem to be like the first homing torpedoes, ie turning around and getting ya.

Wont play without them though for the lols wen they decided to roll tripple sixes against tombguard.

Or the NG shaman that can steal any powerdice only to explode on using them.

brother_maynard
04-03-2012, 18:50

ಠ_ಠ

more text

ashe
04-03-2012, 19:25
As wood elf i take wardancers every game, they are good unit but not 18 points per model good the 7th edition wardancer models are my all time favorite models i have 40 + the two lords. As high elf i take dragon princes in all my games, I know they can't brake units as in 7th edition, and they are noware near as cost effective as silverhelms, but the new models are my favorite model in the high elf army. ;)

Leogun_91
04-03-2012, 20:20
Stupid Giant. never makes his points backYou'r using it wrong, know your targets and they'll do great, my giants do very well in my greenskin army and I'm thinking about a third (though I'm bogged down by projects).

For me it's probably the great shaman on wyvern, ones on foot preform better in my experience (from the times I've gone without it, which is rare) but I still use him.

Wesser
04-03-2012, 21:00
Vargheists

They aint useless, I just cant seem to roll well for them no matter the circumstances. Its when 3 of them causes zero wounds against clanrats for 2 turns in a row you start wondering if they are cursed

The Low King
04-03-2012, 21:30
My slayers die every game....

Then again, i guess thats performing perfectly...

Phloop
04-03-2012, 21:46
Shadow Warriors. Man, they don't da ANYTHING but eat up points and sit and pelt the enemy with arrows that hardly wound. But they're wonderful for getting under your opponent's skin. There's just something about having models at their back that throws their focus off.

snyggejygge
04-03-2012, 22:11
Nothing right now, because the things I used to take even though being bad has turned out to be decent choices nowadays.
From 5:th to 7:th edition I always used a unit of Khorne Chaos Warriors, most people told me to just use more knights, I stayed with the warriors because I like the look & idea of them (besides 1 unit of knights was enough imo), now they're all of a sudden a really good choice.
Same with Skeletons under 7:th & early 8:th edition, I've alway brought skellies in my VC army ever since they were called undead, because it's fluffy, now they're a better choice than ghouls imo.

So I guess patience pays of sometimes.

TsukeFox
04-03-2012, 22:32
You'r using it wrong, know your targets and they'll do great, my giants do very well in my greenskin army and I'm thinking about a third (though I'm bogged down by projects).

For me it's probably the great shaman on wyvern, ones on foot preform better in my experience (from the times I've gone without it, which is rare) but I still use him.

My Slaves murder giants-bwhaha!!

And I love my plague priest on a pox rat despite the lack of monstrous Calvary RnF in the Skaven rule book. Stupid priest who cannot wear armour like certain stupid ogre casters....:shifty:

Leogun_91
05-03-2012, 09:26
My Slaves murder giants-bwhaha!!Slaves is not an ultimate target for giants, they will be withered down by the mass of attacks of the slaves and if the slaves run it's gonna hurt....and slings are bad too. The slaves then save points by not taking any armour which would help in the matchup. A supporting giant can on the other hand really help a unit and that supporting giant can kill monsters or hold things up alone as well, attacking slaves with him is however unadvised, though it might work with a siege giant.

Dezartfox
05-03-2012, 09:50
Brace of Pistols on my Ogre Tyrant.. on my BSB too. Stupid themed army :D

Catflap
05-03-2012, 12:59
My new Centigors. I used them in my last 4 battles and they did nothing.
In the first game they didn't made combat because the game was over in turn 3 , second game they got smashed by a fanatic , third game they got shot to pieces before they got into combat and game four they had another close encounter of the fanatic kind again. Still i will take them to my next battle because they are so beastmen like.

Galley
05-03-2012, 14:20
Pink horrors. A 20ish+ unit with a herald + MoS having a 4+ ward save and acting like a level 4 sorc seems like fun, and I enjoy fielding them. In practice? They fail ward saves like it's their job, and whatever magic they contribute in comparison with the herald is a pittance. Oh, and they're terrible to position on a movement tray.

Athariel
05-03-2012, 14:20
Necrosphinx

I love the model but I have not once rolled for heroic killing blow on a monster.

Gloryseeker
05-03-2012, 19:36
Pink horrors. A 20ish+ unit with a herald + MoS having a 4+ ward save and acting like a level 4 sorc seems like fun, and I enjoy fielding them. In practice? They fail ward saves like it's their job, and whatever magic they contribute in comparison with the herald is a pittance. Oh, and they're terrible to position on a movement tray.

I've only ever played khorne and nurgle daemons. A unit unit of horror with herald with MoS would terrify me. Fear of the unknown and all that.

Askari
05-03-2012, 20:00
Not every time, as I like winning games from time to time. But I've used a mounted Empire General with Runefang before. Hilarious waste of points, but damn he looks so flashy, he'll die in style (or rip a Bone Giant apart, that one blaze of glory).

Grocklock
06-03-2012, 10:53
for me its snotlings, ever since the time where they had mimic i have taken them they have on two occations done something

DaemonReign
06-03-2012, 11:05
I've only ever played khorne and nurgle daemons. A unit unit of horror with herald with MoS would terrify me. Fear of the unknown and all that.

They are indeed Horrible in this Edition. You basically can't exaggerate how overcosted they are in 8th.
Which, I guess, serves them right for basically breaking the Magic Phase throughout 7th Ed. So I'm not really whining on their account.
There's just no excuse for fielding them though, unless of course you're playing a MonoTzeentch List.. Which is good fun and a real random hard kind of challange.
But yeah.. The new Magic Phase of 8th Edition hit Horrors like nobody else.

Jack of Blades
06-03-2012, 11:06
When I start playing it'll be my Daemon Prince. We had a magical duel between two teams: my DP (I think I was using him as undivided at this point) and a Grey Seer vs Teclis and a Vampire Lord. The DP died to gaze of nagash which we thought was a premature end so we resurrected him, right after that spell killed him he died again to I think it was spirit leech by Teclis. It was then and after it basically got tarpitted by a small unit of raised skeletons (or was it zombies...) that my friends understood what I meant when I told them the DP is pathetic compared to what I could be taking instead. Then I told them how many points my DP costs and they almost laughed - ''WHAT?!''

Hehe :D

DaemonReign
06-03-2012, 11:09
... Oh yeah the DP.. *lol*
Well that guy was rubbish already in 7th Ed.
You basically field him for the laugh of it.

DaemonReign
06-03-2012, 11:10
*double post*

Lakomasoi
06-03-2012, 11:23
Rat ogres... God I love the fluff models and everything about these guys but in a unit of 6 its sad when my three pack masters do more damage.... Unit of pack masters.... Ideas begin

The Odor
06-03-2012, 11:33
I used to have some crap unit in all my five common list but with the return of the Chaos Lord my Tzeentch list is fairly good but missing the Cheesy stuff (Chosenstar).
My Slaanesh and Nurgle lists have Marauder Horsemen (with expensive marks).
My Khorne List have Chariots and Ogres (with more expensive marks...)

Oogie boogie boss
06-03-2012, 13:23
With my Skaven it was 6 Poison Wind Globadiers. Every so often they'd do really well, killing Knights or harassing Ironbreakers, but most of the time they were really just there for deployment drops, and tended to die quite easily. Never had the urge to leave them out though, just in case.

TsukeFox
06-03-2012, 13:31
Rat ogres... God I love the fluff models and everything about these guys but in a unit of 6 its sad when my three pack masters do more damage.... Unit of pack masters.... Ideas begin
Oooh that would be a BA unit-if one could upgrade any number of pack masters to master moulders.

Ya my ret ogres have become filler in slave units.
Until the day I have 18 rat ogres to make a death star, so far only 8.

Phazael
06-03-2012, 14:30
Back in the day, it was my Shaggoth Lord back when Beastmen could take one to lead an army. GG 330 point lord with no gear who cannot hide in units and is only slightly harder to kill than most combat lords. Man I miss using him.

Honorable mention has to go to Giants (good in gobbos, pants in everything else), Squig hoppers (seriously cavalry now?), and Seekers (why do these cost more than heavy 1+ sv cavalry?) of Slaanesh.

redfury
06-03-2012, 14:34
Skeletons are pretty bad as are most vampire core units. But we need to take them

Awilla the Hun
06-03-2012, 16:23
My entire army. Well, the vast numerical majority of it (men at arms and peasant longbowmen.) Comrades. We shall bury them!

Makaber
06-03-2012, 16:31
Probably my Ghorgon... It's not horrible or anything, but it's certainly points better invested elsewhere. That said, I really want something to break up the monotomy a bunch of goats typically provide.

Lorcryst
06-03-2012, 18:21
My whole army, but then I play Night Goblins ...

More precisely, my Squigs : my Herds tend to explode in my battle line, my Hoppers bounce like wet kittens and get shot before reaching the middle of the table, and after they're first outing, my Manglers are prime targets for everything that can shoot in the enemy army ...

... But I still have loads of fun with this army !

arthurfallz
07-03-2012, 01:43
My Grail Reliquae and Battle Pilgrims. They're Stubborn, they have Hatred... but WS2 and low Ld., on S3 T3 infantry turns that into a lackluster showing. But the model and concept are so damned cool, I just have to throw it out every time, even if my MaA are a cheaper tarpit.

Warrior of Chaos
07-03-2012, 03:54
LOL....Forsaken....love the theme/concept. In practice they tend to be a waste. **here is to hoping they get fixed in the new AB**

Lord Arkhibas
07-03-2012, 15:55
i run chaos warrior list with almost no marauders, and that is why i say khorne chaos warriors. They always get shot up with cannons and thunderers on hill, or maged out by slann, and if my army is still alive before engaged in close combat they don't hit anything. for example my exalted could not kill liche priest with axe of khorne. as if that would not be enough, ogres use their fatcharge and crush warriors under their big bellies.
Then again i've learned that using my warriors like imperial guard uses their conscripts has given me much more victories. Sacrifice the khorne unit and outlast with tzeenth and marauder units. marauders are used as a hammer.
i just love to send those uncontrollable khornate idiots to their death. i know it hurts like hell when they die but i've used to it.... :shifty:

AlphariusOmegon20
07-03-2012, 17:02
i run chaos warrior list with almost no marauders, and that is why i say khorne chaos warriors. They always get shot up with cannons and thunderers on hill, or maged out by slann, and if my army is still alive before engaged in close combat they don't hit anything. for example my exalted could not kill liche priest with axe of khorne. as if that would not be enough, ogres use their fatcharge and crush warriors under their big bellies.
Then again i've learned that using my warriors like imperial guard uses their conscripts has given me much more victories. Sacrifice the khorne unit and outlast with tzeenth and marauder units. marauders are used as a hammer.
i just love to send those uncontrollable khornate idiots to their death. i know it hurts like hell when they die but i've used to it.... :shifty:

I'm the opposite, I can't get marauders to work for me at all, no matter how they're equipped, what they're marked, or how many I take. But I've hit upon a new themed army concept that uses all marauders, so I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess.

warhammero
07-03-2012, 18:22
[/QUOTE] For example, lots of people seem to not rate sepulchral stalkers, but I use them every game and they generally have done very well for themselves. Meanwhile my tomb scorpion has a reputation for never turning up til turn 6 thanks to misfires and poor reserve rolls.[/QUOTE]

Im rong? But the sepulcrals and scorpions turn up with 3+ in the second turn (page 79 BRB)

Cambion Daystar
07-03-2012, 18:24
Empire: pistoliers, they just don't work very well anymore.
Dwarfs: Bolt Throwers (i refuse to take blackpowder weapons in my karak hirn army).
Daemons: euhm, mono-nurgle army, so beast of nurgle are quite pricey for what they do. But i need them in my army to have some hitting power. And i have nice models for them (cthonian larvae from rackham)

brightblade
07-03-2012, 20:46
Stupid Giant. never makes his points back

Ha ha. This one. My giant fell over a fence for five turns once. I do love him and his fez. ;)

Or my 42night goblins but then they are meant to be crap (and fun.)

savage dominion!!!
07-03-2012, 21:19
Minotaurs...in my 1000 pnt army I take 3. Regularly play elf armies and are either wiped out by a stand and shoot and whats left is killed off by striking last with low initiative and only a 6+ save. Against repeater crossbowers they dont even get a save nightmare! May do alright with bigger unit but against shooties you can only probably bet on getting 2 that probably make it to attacking! Still take them though every game!

Iverald
07-03-2012, 21:41
Back in 6th my 5-elf units of Silver Helms. :D Meant to be flankers and cheap core for my tight-budget-mostly-cavalry army. Died most horribly every time they hit anything more solid than wet tissue paper. My crappy generalship might also have something to do with that. :shifty:

Gloryseeker
02-04-2012, 08:45
So played doubles game last night vamps and empire vs skaven and lizards. My corpse cart did nothing again. Its too damn slow and i cant waste a Vanhel's on it. Spirit hosts are awesome, I had one kill a unit of skinks and a warp lightning cannon and another kill a unit of salamanders and a skink priest.

NitrosOkay
02-04-2012, 09:14
My corpse cart has been MVP of most of my games. What do you mean you can't waste a Vanhel's on it? Using the 12" Vanhel's is the most important spell for me to get off.

Sexiest_hero
02-04-2012, 09:49
My death bray shaman. Oh look i'm out of range, well I'll just cuddle up next to the Herdstone and nap while the beasts and shadow shamen do all the hard work. That A^%.

Tokamak
02-04-2012, 10:43
Great shaman on a wyvern

cptcosmic
02-04-2012, 10:53
HE core units :)

Raukaris
02-04-2012, 11:01
Plague monks & rat ogres. I just need.. more..

ALthough last time my ogres crushed korhil on a chariot :D

Von Wibble
02-04-2012, 11:16
For example, lots of people seem to not rate sepulchral stalkers, but I use them every game and they generally have done very well for themselves. Meanwhile my tomb scorpion has a reputation for never turning up til turn 6 thanks to misfires and poor reserve rolls.[/QUOTE]

Im rong? But the sepulcrals and scorpions turn up with 3+ in the second turn (page 79 BRB)[/QUOTE]

Yes, and I tend to roll a lot of 1s for this. And then I roll a misfire and the result that means they don't turn up this turn.

Its as if my scorpion doesn't actually want to fight. Gandhi the Tomb Scorpion.

Kallstrom
02-04-2012, 13:27
Minotaurs in my Beastmen army and my thunderers in my Dwarf army. My 30 strong Slayers are working wonders so I ain't complaining. )

Urgat
02-04-2012, 14:28
Common goblins. Excepted they don't suck anymore.

Gop
03-04-2012, 00:42
The bloody organ gun. I only take one in 2.5k and if it works it's great. But more often than not it rolls a 2, or misfires. And since there's no engineer that can be taken with it, I often wish I took another stonethrower. But lots of opponents get scared of it (probably what it can potentially do) so it's good to anchor a flank.

Azazel
03-04-2012, 00:59
Unmarked Chaos Warriors.

Sure they don't really suck, but they'd be a lot better with a Mark. The theme of a Chaos Undivided army is more important to me than adding Marks to increase the already considerable power of my Chaos Warriors.

Fritzallmighty
03-04-2012, 04:18
My giant always accompanies my chaos warband to battle, point allowances willing. Its a great kit, and I've converted mine slightly to have two heads, so he looks quite menacing. Sadly, this, his greatest strength, is his ultimate undoing. That and the whole being squishy part.

Marauder Carl
03-04-2012, 04:44
Kislev Kossars.

Gary wyper
03-04-2012, 08:44
Glade riders never keave home wirhout them

Haravikk
03-04-2012, 12:02
Hmm, not sure about anything that sucks exactly, but I like taking several of the (seemingly) less optimal choices for Dwarfs:

Slayers - the lack of a save means they take casualties very quickly, and compared to other units of the same price, they don't actually do all that much damage. Still, being Unbreakable you're guaranteed that they can tar-pit anything for a good two or three turns if you take a decent sized unit. If that thing's a monster than all the better (two hand weapons at Strength 6 is nice), and they're one of the few units that can still switch weapon load-outs in close combat. So, while they're not as good as they could be, I still use them a lot (especially after I painted 40 of them), and I think I do still get good value out of them.
Warriors with Hand Weapons & Shields - I use these interchangeably with a smaller unit Ironbreakers as they both fill the same area, and Ironbreakers are arguably overpriced at the moment too. Anyway, I field them because I like them, and because I get tons of value out of them; they're not great on paper again, as they'll lose most significant one on one line-ups, but when combined with smaller offensive units (Great Weapons) they're a great way to play an army by simply using the good old hammer & anvil tactic. Also, a unit of 40 Dwarfs with Hand Weapons & Shield, lead by a defensively equipped Battle Standard Bearer on Oath Stone is a pretty fearsome prospect.
Gyrocopter - definitely overpriced, but at the same time, as the only fast-moving thing in the Dwarf army it is absolutely invaluable for running down fast-moving enemy units in order to secure those ever important Victory Points. Nothing's worse that crushing an enemy heavy cavalry unit only for the one survivor to run off and deprive you of all the points in the unit. So while its damage potential is pathetic for the points, it can make back its points by just staying out of harm's way and darting into combats to run down fleeing enemies, or help run them off the board once they're fleeing.
Flame Cannon - this one's purely for aesthetic, as it's at least twice as expensive as it should be (Skaven Warpfire Thrower is half the cost and is better in every way thanks to the bonkers Dwarf FAQ). Still, most opponents are very reluctant to go near one, which can make them a good way to hold a flank, and Multiple Wound (D3) is great against Monstrous types if you play Ogres or such with any frequency.

Scythe
03-04-2012, 13:53
General of the Empire - no matter how good an Arch Lector might be, my army is led by a proper commander, dammit! Fingers crossed he will be worth it in the new book.

Satan
03-04-2012, 14:20
Wild Riders. They're the worst and I hate them. I hate them so much and yet I'm fielding 2 units of them in a tournament this weekend. Oh, how I hate them. They can't even take out simple war machine crews. Aaaaaaargh HULK RAGE SMASH RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!!!

Dreadlordpaul
03-04-2012, 19:19
Dark elf crossbowmen and spearmen, i cannot make a list which dosent include these guys

Darnok
04-04-2012, 07:00
Dark elf crossbowmen and spearmen, i cannot make a list which dosent include these guys

If you think those suck, you're doing something wrong...

Dreadlordpaul
04-04-2012, 07:13
If you think those suck, you're doing something wrong...

Theyy aint a great target for Mind razor or cauldron buffs, and corsairs are better in every way

Darnok
04-04-2012, 08:04
Theyy aint a great target for Mind razor or cauldron buffs, and corsairs are better in every way

Not that your statement is right, but if you prefer Corsairs, then simply take those? :eyebrows:

Dreadlordpaul
04-04-2012, 08:15
Not that your statement is right, but if you prefer Corsairs, then simply take those? :eyebrows:

1 i dont own enough corsairs to take only them and 2 spearmen and crossbow men make excellent bunkers for my mages and my Bsb

Darnok
04-04-2012, 08:41
1 i dont own enough corsairs to take only them and 2 spearmen and crossbow men make excellent bunkers for my mages and my Bsb

I'll get to 1) soon, but 2) essentially means that they do not suck.

As for 1)... are you not the guy posting a new army list every few days (sometimes hours?). I remember different lists of yours for DE, WoC, DoC, VC and HE. I am pretty confident that you don't have the models for even a tenth of those lists. As I don't assume you want to spam the army list sections, only one logical conclusion remains: that you heavily proxy and make extensive use of counts as. So you don't really care about what you actually have - which is okay.

But please don't pretend you have to take something when you really don't care for that at all...

[/rant] [/off topic]

My own opinion on the original question: I think that if you take something (almost) every time, it can not really suck, at least not for you. The reason you take it must be something, and that alone prevents that unit from being too bad to take. If it is worth for you, I simply would not care about what others or "the internet" says, as those people are not the ones playing your games, but you.

Satan
04-04-2012, 09:05
My own opinion on the original question: I think that if you take something (almost) every time, it can not really suck, at least not for you. The reason you take it must be something, and that alone prevents that unit from being too bad to take. If it is worth for you, I simply would not care about what others or "the internet" says, as those people are not the ones playing your games, but you.

Well, I take the Wild Riders because of the comp score we use here sometimes, but mostly I don't bother with wood elves at all. I also keep taking the wild riders in the vain hope that they will/can actually accomplish something. Which they don't.

Haravikk
04-04-2012, 11:58
My own opinion on the original question: I think that if you take something (almost) every time, it can not really suck, at least not for you.
I suppose it depends what you take to mean as qualifying a unit as one that "sucks"; I assumed they meant a unit that is currently overpriced/underpowered. Slayers being my most common example for Dwarfs as I know that my army would be more powerful if I took a larger unit of Great Weapon dwarfs instead, or maybe Hammerers. But at the same time I find Slayers more fun and not usually that bad, just not as good as they could be with all the extra damage flying around these days.

Flame Cannon is the more obvious example, as it's easily twice the cost it should be, but I still sometimes take them purely because I love the model. Doesn't mean I don't sometimes still get value out of them, as they can still hurt quite a bit, and the fact that opponents try to avoid them is in itself a tactical advantage, but Skaven players can get exactly the same weapon with magical attacks for half the cost, so eh… it's one that "sucks" on paper.

Darnok
04-04-2012, 12:14
I suppose it depends what you take to mean as qualifying a unit as one that "sucks"

That's true for every discussion. You always come to the point were you have to clarify - sometimes even define in the first place - what the hell you're talking about.

I think I could go along with your meaning, and the Flamecannon is an excellent example. I for one would not take it every time, it's just too damn overpriced in the current book. But I still have the model and love it - for the time being it simply won't get used on the table.

bryguy
04-04-2012, 12:23
Chaos Spawn. They are so much fun to paint and model because you can do them any crazy way you want and it still looks like a chaos spawn. The randomness is kinda fun too but I have only seen them take out another unit once and even then they weren't alone (they flanked a unit of Goblins)

Angel_of_Bodom
06-04-2012, 06:37
Ungor Raiders. The little guys are so pathetic, so when they actually do something like say, beat down a unit of DE executioners its amazing!

My favourite unit, albeit useless, used to be the Zombies. Now they are actually good and the new VC book doesn't seem to have any really bad units, so there is no point for me to reply to this thread.

Duke Ramulots
06-04-2012, 07:28
The units I bring that get a WTF? from my opponants are, spear and shiled orc boyz, spear men @ arms, and wood elves(every time I break them out im told how weak they are).

Jerry
06-04-2012, 08:20
Hochland long rifle!!!!

Mr_Foulscumm
06-04-2012, 12:07
My favourite unit, albeit useless, used to be the Zombies. Now they are actually good and the new VC book doesn't seem to have any really bad units, so there is no point for me to reply to this thread.

I see you over came that hurdle anyway! :D

People keep telling me my Slayers suck... I still don't believe them!

Sunner
06-04-2012, 13:02
More context specific than flat out sucking, but my 30 goblins with a warboss charging a unit of black knights.

GodlessM
06-04-2012, 18:51

And yet it is held as one of the most competitive choices in the Dark Elf army, and army held as one of the most competitive in the game still. Not exactly sure how it is rubbish.

As for my own exploits, I don't use anything that I think sucks, but I do use a few units the internet told me sucks that are collectively known as Tomb Kings.

BirchbarktheAncient
12-04-2012, 01:30
SKAVENSLAVES!!!! I usually have more fun watching the little dirtbags getting slaughtered than my opponent. Every once in a while, I drag down a Chaos warrior into an eternity of shame. I can't tell you how fun it is watching Chaos warriors slaughter 15 of my slaves at a time, LOL!! Go DIE, slave trash!!! DIE! DIE!

"Rats have no souls and neither do I!" - Me

decker_cky
12-04-2012, 01:44
Centigors. They actually aren't half bad, but definitely not optimal choice.

Souppilgrim
12-04-2012, 04:04
Hochland long rifle!!!!

I used to take it all the time, and on an outrider champion BS5. I've killed one unit champion and put a wound on a vampire who healed it before I got another turn. This is after several years of gaming. Also, the 7th edition empire book mortar...yes it's OP, but i've never had it survive a game. Even when taking more than one, and I've only hit a unit once that got massive kills. For some reason it always blows up, is charged really fast by something or I have to hit chaos warriors with ward saves and armor saves and good toughness and kills like a single dude.

Rosstifer
12-04-2012, 05:12
And yet it is held as one of the most competitive choices in the Dark Elf army, and army held as one of the most competitive in the game still. Not exactly sure how it is rubbish.

I think Tom *may* have been being sarcastic.

He of all people is aware of how awesome the Cauldron is.

And I agree that the GW model is terrible.

Back on topic, I love me my Marauder Horsemen.

Andy p
12-04-2012, 10:00
"Fee FI FO FUM!!!!"

I suppose technically he isn't a unit....but I couldn't give a flying slaanesh nipple for technical when it comes to Him.

teafloy_the_damned
12-04-2012, 20:53
I do love my Slayers but they do suck
It seems everyone see's them coming and throws everything & the kitchen sink at them

woodster17
12-04-2012, 21:01
It really depends upon models you find aesthetically pleasing and/or love the fluff too. Logic dictates White Lion Horder- I prefer Phoenix Guard. Models and fluff is awesome. Same with OK and the Stonehorn- by no means ineffective but not as useful competitive wise as the Thundertusk (or even taking more Mournfang or Ironblasters). That being said, if general convention online is that models 'suck' people are less inclined to build lists around them. If you use them consistently because you like the models so much you find ways to use them to increase effectiveness. As an added bonus, since opponents aren't used to facing them as much they can pack a few surprise punches. Win/win.

XxMacCxX
13-04-2012, 06:49
DRAGON OGRE SHAGGOTH, now be that he is not awful and i tend to do very well with him. But i do not believe he is not very point effective especially when someone is like hey boom head shot with 1 cannon shot. But I love the model and he has somewhat become the signature model for army, Never leave home with out ol Shaggy.

Haravikk
13-04-2012, 11:23
I do love my Slayers but they do suck
It seems everyone see's them coming and throws everything & the kitchen sink at them
Well, at the same time that's still a good thing, as it takes that kind of focus to actually finish them all off :)
I dunno if they suck entirely, they're just over-costed right now so they're not exactly an obvious choice.

teafloy_the_damned
13-04-2012, 14:35
I dunno if they suck entirely, they're just over-costed right now so they're not exactly an obvious choice.
Ok suck is a little strong, but as you say there overpriced and out-gunned against most similar costed troops. I cant wait for the new book, they've got to be made a lot better.

They've got to be one of the most characterfull units in all of warhammer

The bearded one
13-04-2012, 15:04
They're really iconic. It is just that they're an exceptionally obvious target if you have ranks upon ranks of dwarfs wearing heavy armour, and then have a unit right next to them without any armour at all.

Djekar
13-04-2012, 16:06
Hrm, let's see:

Orcs: Goblin Wolf Riders. Oh, I know that they can be good. Mine fail animosity at precisely the moment they need to be doing anything else. I take them for the stuff they can do when I lie and tell them I don't care if they squabble that turn.

Warriors of Chaos: Hellcannon. My wife and I converted/painted up a really amazing model for the Cannon, but it hasn't ever done anything fantastic. Now that I have seen the light and acknowledge that it can't pivot before firing, it's even worse - but I keep on bringing it.

Dark Elves: Units of 10 corsairs with handbows. I want these guys to do something, but they don't. Other than eat up my core tax, which I suppose is admirable enough.

Enigmatik1
13-04-2012, 16:13
I won't say that he sucks and I don't use him every time but my Necrolith Colossus, regardless of how he's equipped, has been pretty solid. Bowlossus deserves a special mention for his unerring accuracy and clinical precision at which he's slain multiple wound targets. Hawkeye the Bone Giant is a star in my book! Now if only I were good at converting or I'd totally put him in a Green Arrow get up (green is one of my army colors incidentally).

Grimdesign
13-04-2012, 16:18
They're really iconic. It is just that they're an exceptionally obvious target if you have ranks upon ranks of dwarfs wearing heavy armour, and then have a unit right next to them without any armour at all.

I always thought people went after them because they were jealous of their glorious mohawks and greasy beards.