PDA

View Full Version : hive mind questions

gutsmaka
05-03-2012, 05:55
I dont get the hive mind. what exactly is it? if the hive mind is the collection of the tyranid minds, then why dosent every tyranid have a link to it? and how can you have a link to your own mind? how can a collective concience negate instinctive feelngs or be sentinent and yet not? please explain?:confused::confused::confused:

Inquisitor Aaron
05-03-2012, 06:10
I always have thought of it as a collective conscience that manifests itself through the collected instincts,thoughts, and memories of the beasts that make it up.

To answer your second question every creature has somewhat of a link be it even base instincts but some creatures are just conduits or nodes in a sense that disperses orders but the more base creatures need somewhat of a guiding hand and thats the role that hive tyrants and other synapse creatures take up is the role of basically a conduit for mind control that overrides these base instincts.

To the third question you cant really think of the tyranids as multiple creatures I mean sure they are but they're all part of a grand host or the "body" per-say; In a sense you could say their kinda like cells.

Please forgive me if this totally incorrect for I am quite a tired man. :skull:

El_Machinae
05-03-2012, 08:44
It's kinda like how each of our cells 'looks' like it's got a mind and is acting in a somewhat rational way. But, have enough neurons, and yowza! the whole organism is sentient too. At that level of sentience, whole parts of the body move with coordinated effort

Disturbed Frog
06-03-2012, 03:19
I just think of it as the overmind (a giant brain suspended by tentacles) from the Zerg in Starcraft. I mean they just ripped tyranids off so it's a good comparison. Also the gravemind from halo comes to mind aswell.

Hadrun
06-03-2012, 05:29
"The Hive Mind is the gestalt collective consciousness of the entire Tyranid race, a psychic embodiment of the Tyranid instincts and racial imperatives to devour and destroy. It is not a single mind capable of small, conscious thought the way a Human's mind works, but instead it is a grand agglomeration created from the psychic presence of untold billions of Tyranid creatures."
from lexicanum!

so basically the Nids version of a god?

El_Machinae
06-03-2012, 13:04
It's a super-organism. Imagine that 'you' are the Hive Mind. Your muscles are synapse creatures (because you force them to do your will, even though they have reflexes themselves (just ask headless chickens)), and the non-synapse nids are like this video of a 'nid vs. an Imperial Guard scout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnlULOjUhSQ

And then with sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxTYyNEbVU4

The 'nid is not being consciously directed, except as a meta-effect of the Mind's activity. But it's got its own instincts that serve the greater mind.

gutsmaka
07-03-2012, 09:15
the video cliched it :D

LordLucan
07-03-2012, 17:33
The hive mind is the consciousness of the singular Tyranid mega-organism. Each Tyranid is like a cell of this impossibly vast creature. Its brain cells are the synapse creatures; the norn queens and dominatrixes and Tyrants and warriors spread out over light years. The non synpase creatures are essentially the elements of the body which are not sentient on their own. They all have a link to the hive mind, but if it is severed, they lose their connection to the mind. Just like if you chopped your arm off, it wouldn't crawl around on its own. It requires a synaptic and nervous link with your brain. We have electrical/chemical signals linking all our cells together. The Tyranids have psychic signals.