PDA

View Full Version : Chaos marauders: do they come with great weapons?

Alluminas
05-03-2012, 15:09
Do the chaos marauders on the box set come with great weapons? (Just to be clear, I'm talking about the figures, not the rules in the army book.)

If not, then which parts do people tend to use to convert them?

Felwether
05-03-2012, 15:15
Unfortunately they don't come with great weapons. They come with options for hand weapons, shields and flails. I've never worked with the models personally but I'd say it would be fairly easy to remove the chains from the flails and add a blade of some kind instead. You could also mess around with repositioning the hands so the weapon is being held double-handed but that might be particularly fiddly.

Makaber
05-03-2012, 15:21
They might as well come with great weapons. It's just a matter of snipping off the flails and adding the axe heads from the one handed weapons instead. Of course, half of the one handed weapons are picks, and some people don't like that, or might have issues with a two handed war pick. However, if you're anything like me, you'll have tons of spare axes left over from your warriors. Other weapon bits work fine as well, my unit includes greatclubs, mauls, glaives...

jullevi
05-03-2012, 15:22
As said above: Marauder figures do not come with great weapons, although they come with all the bits you need to convert them. The easiest way is to replace flail ends with blades from axes - it's an easy cut and paste conversion. If you feel adventurous, you can loot suitable weapon bits from Marauder Horsemen, Chaos Warrior or Beastmen kits as well.

Alluminas
05-03-2012, 15:30
Unfortunately they don't come with great weapons. They come with options for hand weapons, shields and flails. I've never worked with the models personally but I'd say it would be fairly easy to remove the chains from the flails and add a blade of some kind instead. You could also mess around with repositioning the hands so the weapon is being held double-handed but that might be particularly fiddly.

Thanks!

Do you know whether anyone makes separate arm pieces with great weapons which wouldn't look out of place on the figures? Two-handed swords or axes might fit the Norse barbarian vibe.

Tayrod
05-03-2012, 15:49
As far as I can recall, you get 4 "standard pole" arms in a box, snap off the standard about halfway up, add a "hitty-bit" (axe head, etc) and you've got yourself a one-handed-two-hander, if that's what you mean.

You can also google "sword-staff" or bilehook for some ideas.

shakedown47
06-03-2012, 05:18
The flail to great weapon conversion is both effective and effortless, but I say don't feel tied to making every single marauder carry a great weapon. These are barbaric hordes we're talking about, sweeping from the north with whatever weapons come to hand. You're quite likely to arm every marauder in your army the same way, at least I did; none of my opponents ever have ever argued against my 120 "great weapon" marauders sporting great weapons, flails, additional hand weapons, or shields, and I doubt any of your opponents will either. It's just my opinion but marauders look better when fielded looking like the fairly ramshackle, chaotic force they are.

Tayrod
06-03-2012, 09:28
The flail to great weapon conversion is both effective and effortless, but I say don't feel tied to making every single marauder carry a great weapon. These are barbaric hordes we're talking about, sweeping from the north with whatever weapons come to hand. You're quite likely to arm every marauder in your army the same way, at least I did; none of my opponents ever have ever argued against my 120 "great weapon" marauders sporting great weapons, flails, additional hand weapons, or shields, and I doubt any of your opponents will either. It's just my opinion but marauders look better when fielded looking like the fairly ramshackle, chaotic force they are.

+1 (this message has to be longer, hence this text)

thesheriff
06-03-2012, 21:08

I would third this, with the added proviso that you make sure what ever is the actuall weapons they are armed with (ie; GWs) is the one weapon the majority of the unit is armed with.

thesheriff

shakedown47
06-03-2012, 23:04
My big thing with WYSIWYG is that you should feel obligated to limit the brainpower your opponents have to spend figuring your army out. Sure, my marauders are armed with various and sundry weapons, but before the game starts I just say "all marauders have great weapons. If it's a marauder, and it's not on a horse, it has a great weapon." Simple and easy, and if they're confused by that they probably didn't have a chance at winning the game anyway lol. The only problem I would have is if I had four different units of marauders, each consisting of models armed with various bits of weaponry, and said "this unit has great weapons, this unit has flails, this is my shield Tzeentch unit." That kind of thing is a big no-no to me, because even though you pointed it out before the game your opponent shouldn't have to spend turns 5 and 6 trying to remember what you told him an hour earlier.

lukas721
07-03-2012, 09:06
Here you have my GW Marauders made from flails just by cutting chain off.

Warmonger77
16-01-2013, 22:41
I used some spare Hellblades from Khorne Bloodletters for mine. They look awesome, if I do say so myself. Obviously it gets a bit pricey if you have to do a whole unit and you have no spares, but results are worth it. I'll post a picture at some point.

Lord Solar Plexus
17-01-2013, 13:38

I don't think it's possible to hand them over over the internet, lukas.

:p

kefkah
17-01-2013, 16:01

This should be enough. To the guy who posted that you should limit the brainpower of your opponent, if he cant see that those are Great Weapons he is a retard.

10_minute_pie
17-01-2013, 21:19
I've don the flail conversion, it's very easy. I also have a bunch of guys in the unit who are just armed with a hand weapon and no shield. The standard axes are honestly so large that they look like 2 handed weapons being held with one hand. It actually creates a nice visual effect. I find that units comprised only of dudes with flail arms look quite static, and the on handed guys add some life and energy to the unit. It also adds a small touch of realism, as Warhammer weapons tend to be about twice the size they'd be in "real life"