PDA

View Full Version : which grey knight dreadnought

blackraven
05-03-2012, 22:52
in my 1500 points of grey knights ive a dreadnought with two twin linked autocannons and psybolt ammo,

im stuck on which model to use though

do i use the forgeworld mkiv, or contemptor/ relic contemptor?

Project2501
05-03-2012, 23:00
MK IV is the one you want.

carldooley
05-03-2012, 23:01
which one do you like more? the contemptors can be used to establish a theme, considering that they look like magnified terminators. If the rest of the force are terminators Contemptors can establish definite thematic memes to your force. I don't have much idea which is the MK4, but there the great thing about FW is that there are SO MANY torsos. which to go with becomes a real question.

blackraven
05-03-2012, 23:05
i like both models, its just which will fit better in my list?

brother captain,
crowe
5 paladins
10 purifyers
10 purifyers
dreadnought

Thrax
05-03-2012, 23:08
As for personal preference, I like Forge World's replacement torso best. Which way are you leaning?

Project2501
05-03-2012, 23:14
Comtemptor is larger/taller than the MkIV dreadnought, and the MkIV's weapon arms and non weapon arms (outside of autocanons) can be gotten from the other dreadnought kits, potentially saving money if you ever want to field it with any other configuration.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/large/contemptor16.jpg

? [IMG] doesn't work?

blackraven
05-03-2012, 23:18
in peoples opinion.... which looks cooler/ look better in the army?

The Marshel
06-03-2012, 03:30
not a huge fan of contemptors and particularly with riflemen, the standard dread autocannon arms from forgeworld make for a nice looking little walker

FashaTheDog
06-03-2012, 03:35
I like all three of the models you listed and kind of dislike the standard Dreadknight model (although it has amazing conversion possibilities, especially for Chaos). So why not use both; the Mk IV for regular Dreadnoughts and the Contemptors as Dreadknights (you may need to build new arms depending on your options though, but Forgeworld conversions are always a treat to see).

ctsteel
06-03-2012, 20:45
You may have already discounted it, but Forgeworld have a replacement Mark V Grey Knight dreadnought torso as well (which I believe Thrax was referring to above). I have one of these waiting to be made into a second dread (my first was just a painted regular dread back when I started putting my daemonhunters together). It is pretty much a blinged up standard torso so may not have the look you want, if you are after something that shows a marine head/torso more than a sarcophagus.

Given the contemptor dreads were pre-Heresy essentially, I'm not sure how much access the GK would have had to them since they were founded/built up at the end of the heresy and wouldn't have had any dreadnought pilots at that time. I'm not sure of the timeline for the Mk IV's creation either, so if you were looking for 'historical accuracy' it may be a case of looking this up or just going for the contemptor. One benefit the GK specific models have is all the moulded iconography and details - the contemptor (even the ornate one) is a bit plain/non-GK in comparison so you'd be looking at some serious freehand or conversion if you wanted to make it look like the revered relic it would be by now (covered with anti-daemon paraphernalia).

Project2501
06-03-2012, 21:12
You may have already discounted it, but Forgeworld have a replacement Mark V Grey Knight dreadnought torso as well (which I believe Thrax was referring to above). I have one of these waiting to be made into a second dread (my first was just a painted regular dread back when I started putting my daemonhunters together). It is pretty much a blinged up standard torso so may not have the look you want, if you are after something that shows a marine head/torso more than a sarcophagus.

Given the contemptor dreads were pre-Heresy essentially, I'm not sure how much access the GK would have had to them since they were founded/built up at the end of the heresy and wouldn't have had any dreadnought pilots at that time. I'm not sure of the timeline for the Mk IV's creation either, so if you were looking for 'historical accuracy' it may be a case of looking this up or just going for the contemptor. One benefit the GK specific models have is all the moulded iconography and details - the contemptor (even the ornate one) is a bit plain/non-GK in comparison so you'd be looking at some serious freehand or conversion if you wanted to make it look like the revered relic it would be by now (covered with anti-daemon paraphernalia).

The Grey Knights' FW dreadnought is a MkIV.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/MK-IV-GREY-KNIGHTS-DREADNOUGHT.html

Scopedog
07-03-2012, 14:03
The Grey Knights' FW dreadnought is a MkIV.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/MK-IV-GREY-KNIGHTS-DREADNOUGHT.html

There's this one, too:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/GREY-KNIGHTS-DREADNOUGHT-BODY.html

ctsteel
07-03-2012, 19:42
^ Which is the Mk V replacement of the normal plastic dread

Project2501
07-03-2012, 20:26
Sorry, i was referring to the doubt, timeline-wise, whether or not GK had MkIVs. Didn't mean to imply that there was no MkV option at all. I just kept refferring to the MkIV as that was the one presented as an option by the OP.

MajorWesJanson
07-03-2012, 21:46
GK are supposed to get their own Contemptor model at some point. Probably after they do a Chaos version.

Gop
08-03-2012, 05:23
get both and when you play larger games you can have 2 psyflemen!

chaospantz
08-03-2012, 11:06
I ended up using the Blood angle Dread with the lib body. I figured since all GK are suposed to be psykers anyway, just had to cut all the blood drops off. Has a nice dread force weapon also.

LonelyPath
09-03-2012, 13:27
Right now GK cannot take a Contemptor in their list, but you could still use the model and proxy it as a regular Dread (something I am very tempted to do since I'd fed up of adding regular Dreads to my GK collection) until FW allow us GK players to have them, however they are great on the table and my DA love their 3 Contemptors (including 2 Mortis variant). I do prefer the Contemptor models, but they are the more expensive option, but what clinches it for me is that they look like they can walk rather than waddle about the battlefield, lol.

To follow up on what chaospantz said, the BA libby dread is a great model that needs only a little work for it to work well in a GK list, but still not as impressive to look at than a Contemptor.