PDA

View Full Version : Realm of Battle Masterclass at Warhammer World

Alairan
07-03-2012, 03:31
So, I'm wondering, has anyone been to one of these? I'd rather like to know what its like.

I've been aiming to pick up a Realm of Battle board for a while now. While I know I can likely make my own much cheaper, I'm not >that< confident in my ability, and being essentially a single mother, my time is rather precious!

So, I was pondering making a day of it, traveling up to Warhammer World with kid. Would you say the extra £100 ontop of the board price is worth the use of their supplies and guidance? And of course, the ever important free lunch in Bugman's.

So yes, anything anyone can tell me about their experiences would be most welcome!

Anyone whos unsure what I'm talking about, its this I'm looking at: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=3500001&section=&aId=12500059a

I3uLLioN
07-03-2012, 04:19
It really depends what you are looking to do. It sounds like a nice day out for you and your son (Im guessing) would the 250 allow for you both to have lunch etc? If you are looking to just have a board, I would say that you are really paying a premium. You can get the board from an online retailer for a significant discount (20 - 25%) and there a literally hundreds of online articles and videos that could help you along with the process.

You could buy the board and all your materials (Depending on what finish you would like) for 150.

As I said, if you are looking for a nice day out and if you can both get lunch for that price Id say go for it. Warhammer World is a great place to visit anyway.

spaint2k
07-03-2012, 04:24
I've never been but I'd like to make a few comments:
1. The value of the ticket seems worth it - they include "over 40 pots of paint" which alone is almost worth the premium.
2. The people who criticize the price of the realm of battle board may not be considering the fact that it's easy to store without getting damaged, and it's resilient enough to last for years.
3. Don't bother with static grass on the board unless either the board will never be put away or you want your house to become a toxic waste site - the stuff seems to keep falling off forever.
4. One of the enduring memories of my childhood is a day-trip to Games Day with my folks - this might just be one of those days for your kid.
5. You sound like the coolest mom in the world.

semper_fi
07-03-2012, 04:35
I've never been but I'd like to make a few comments:
1. The value of the ticket seems worth it - they include "over 40 pots of paint" which alone is almost worth the premium.
2. The people who criticize the price of the realm of battle board may not be considering the fact that it's easy to store without getting damaged, and it's resilient enough to last for years.
3. Don't bother with static grass on the board unless either the board will never be put away or you want your house to become a toxic waste site - the stuff seems to keep falling off forever.
4. One of the enduring memories of my childhood is a day-trip to Games Day with my folks - this might just be one of those days for your kid.

totally agree with you!

i had mine painted up in my local gw with the help of a few staffmembers and took my kid with me, hes still talking about it , so yes the extra 100 is an extra 100 well spend

shelfunit.
07-03-2012, 07:34
The only thing I would worry about is how old is your child? Best to call before buying a ticket as they may need a ticket too. If you have never been to WHW it is certainly worth it to go to the miniature "museum" - just a single room, but full of classic models/dioramas from days (years) gone by.

Mastodon
07-03-2012, 07:54
So, I'm wondering, has anyone been to one of these? I'd rather like to know what its like.

I've been aiming to pick up a Realm of Battle board for a while now. While I know I can likely make my own much cheaper, I'm not >that< confident in my ability, and being essentially a single mother, my time is rather precious!

So, I was pondering making a day of it, traveling up to Warhammer World with kid. Would you say the extra £100 ontop of the board price is worth the use of their supplies and guidance? And of course, the ever important free lunch in Bugman's.

So yes, anything anyone can tell me about their experiences would be most welcome!

Anyone whos unsure what I'm talking about, its this I'm looking at: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=3500001§ion=&aId=12500059a

The extra £100 covers lunch on the day too, which is quite awesome if you like food with bacon in it. Not so if you dont.

ihavetoomuchminis
07-03-2012, 09:04

+1000 to that.

Alairan
07-03-2012, 10:07
Well, I chattered with the kid on the way to school. While he wants to go to Warhammer World, seems he'd rather the board be "Our" project, so it seems I may end up just grabbing it and following guides online! Given the fact I can grab it for £115 or so from places like Darksphere, thats a huge difference money wise. More money for other models I suppose. :D

Will just have to take him up to Warhammer World for a general visit.. Or perhaps one of those hobby camps they do.

I would however still like to hear if anyone's actually been to one of these! General interest.

And thank you all for the votes for my coolness. :P

SunTzu
07-03-2012, 11:11
I'd guess if the RoB price hasn't already put you off, the extra money for the masterclass is probably worth it.

But as it sounds like you've already decided against that anyway, I too would still be interested to hear how these masterclasses work out. I was tempted by the upcoming sculpting one but I've already made commitments for that day so can't go. (Though currently I can't sculpt for toffee so I'm not sure if I'd have been "good enough" for a masterclass in sculpting anyway).

Warhammer World is good for a visit, decent way to spend a couple of hours in the museum and checking out the displays. But unless you're going for an event there's not enough there for a day trip IMO. Though I suppose you could book a gaming board and play a couple of games while you're there.

6mmhero
07-03-2012, 13:06
I was considering this masterclass as well, alas I am on holiday so couldn't make it anyway. The hobby camps are meant to be good fun from what I have heard.

Sounds like you and you son will have a good time with this little project and the extra you save can be put in to some terrain for the board. I would recommend the paint kit they do for the board as you get plenty of materials in there and will prob have some left over for any terrain bases etc.

If you are looking to go up, the WW store itself has a lot of activities on over the holidays and there is always gaming tables. Plus the museum is really worth looking at.

Have fun :-)

shandy
07-03-2012, 15:57
A suggestion if you are going to go up for the day. No harm in e-mailing GW and asking if given the passion your son has for GW could he have a behind the scenes tour - agenda left to GW. Now you might get a straight no but if your lucky they might do something for him to really remember the day by.

Alairan
07-03-2012, 16:22
Yes, I was looking at the paint kit for the board. Overpriced but convenient, so I may grab it. Will look into cheaper alternatives though.

And gosh, I'd love to go to the sculpting class there myself. Currently all I can do is tabards and rubbish fur!

And Shandy, I'd not actually considered that. Might be worth a try! Never hurts to send off an email and see.

Fluxeor
09-03-2012, 02:08
The paint kit for the board will cover the whole thing with ease.. and more. I painted up my own RoB with the kit and have enough static grass and paint left to do a 2nd, maybe even 3rd (though I'm tempted to strip off the grass as it seems to fall off all the time anyway, and repaint it as snowy/ice). It's only useful for doing a regular "Grassy Plain" board though, if you want anything else it'd be best to shop around.

spaint2k
09-03-2012, 08:15
Yes, I was looking at the paint kit for the board. Overpriced but convenient, so I may grab it. Will look into cheaper alternatives though.

I used a couple of large tubes of artist acrylic paint for mine. Didn't even come close to using them all up and they were very cheap.

wreiro
09-03-2012, 15:07
Hi, I have been to a couple of the Masterclasses (Eavy metal and FW) and I cant recommend them highly enough! As to skill level, you dont have to be good at painting or sculpting since it is a lesson, they will teach you how to improve from any skill level.

We didnt get to keep the paints but we did keep the brushes and the weathering powder. I would have loved to go down to the sculpting masterclass but going to give it a miss so that I can go to the next painting masterclass.

The RoB is a great buy. I bought and painted 1 then painted another 3 for GW Edinburgh, including a desert board.

Thanks
H

SunTzu
09-03-2012, 18:45
Hi, I have been to a couple of the Masterclasses (Eavy metal and FW) and I cant recommend them highly enough! As to skill level, you dont have to be good at painting or sculpting since it is a lesson, they will teach you how to improve from any skill level.

That's really good to know. I'll keep my eyes open for one I'm not already booked for...

2ndCompanyVeterans
15-03-2012, 17:35
@Alairan

Hobbit work has probably started now so it will all close up, Like it did did for LOTR it becomes a need to know basis for the next 2 years. Much like the disclosure periods GW wont risk anything during that period as a lot rests on it.

alninio
20-05-2012, 10:16
I am thinking about attending the masterclass in August.

If I am spending the £££ on the board then I think it's probably worth the extra to try and make it look good. I am ambitious but rubbish at these things and always end up comparing the vision I had in my head when I started with the finished result and it never ends well, so some expert tuition might make all the difference (fingers crossed).

Does anyone know if I can take a friend along to help or will I need to get another ticket?

fairoaks024
20-05-2012, 13:07
I second what others have said,

i went to the painting masterclass with the forgeworld guys and we painted a stonehorn. I learnt a couple of useful techniques which i use for all my character minis now, plus, when you take off the price of the kit and the brushes, lunch, the medium and weathering powders we also got, It didn't really work out as very expensive. It was a great day,i could have just sat and watched the painting being demonstrated and it would have been worthwhile.

I'm going to the sculpting class in a couple of weeks and am keeping my eye out for other classes i willl enjoy.

can't recommend them highly enough. the guys who run them are friendly, enthusiastic and the atmosphere is great.

regards

jim