PDA

View Full Version : Desert Themed Beastmen

Charistoph
07-03-2012, 05:32
I'm in a bit of a quandry. For some reason I really enjoy the Beastmen book, and even like most of the models, too. But I also like the Lizards (though a little less) and would like to have a desert theme to the models as I grew up here in this mild desert of the American Southwest.

Lizard Beastmen might work, but the models don't currently support the weapon loadouts that are available.

First off, do you think Lizard Beastmen a cool concept to run with?

If not, how do you think I could get more desert or Apache into the models?

If it's cool, how compatible would Gor, Ungor, and Bestigor arms be on Saurus, Skink, and Temple Guard models?

Ratbeast
07-03-2012, 05:33
scales vs hair, wouldnt look good at all

Duke Ramulots
07-03-2012, 05:45
There are tonnes of mamals in the desert, paint them like rock sheep, ibeks, or Oryx.

Sexiest_hero
07-03-2012, 06:36
Iguanas may work. Take bloodletter bodies, paint them green and do a head swap, it will look great it's what I did. Remember beastmen should read "Animal-men" the book talks about insect men, avian men, and even men consumed by fire. no army is more ripe for conversion.

StygianBeach
07-03-2012, 06:50
If it's cool, how compatible would Gor, Ungor, and Bestigor arms be on Saurus, Skink, and Temple Guard models?

Saurus should be fine. Skinks should be okay as well, depending on the size of the weapons you want to give them. Skinks have small hands.

Temple guard are a bit more tricky as the Shields are molded onto the arms.

Oh... when I first read you post I read 'arms' as weapons... not sure how putting the beastmen arms directly onto the Lizards should work.

Wishing
07-03-2012, 07:45
I, for one, think that beastmen arms on lizardmen (who are also a type of beastman really) has the potential to look really cool. Only a small part of the arms are furry, and fur and scales together could look very chaosy, and distinguish them from just counts-as lizardmen.

AlphariusOmegon20
07-03-2012, 07:49
If you're going to use Lizard models, then paint them like either Gila Monsters or Mexican Beaded Lizards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gila_monster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_beaded_lizard

However, painting the actual Beastmen models like Gemsbok would work too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemsbok

zoggin-eck
07-03-2012, 09:18
Sounds cool enough. I'd like to see it. Scaled beastmen are mentioned enough in the background (and there used to be chaos snakemen of course).

For me, I've wanted to do beastmen up like african hunting dogs. At the very least, the hounds. This I guess is a little desert-like!

Mithras69
07-03-2012, 15:23
I think it would look a lot better if you swapped the weapons instead of the arms. Granted, it would be more work but then again a weapon swap is an easy conversion.

But since you noticed Apache: wouldn't it be cool(er) to model Beastmen models like Native Americans, with feathered headdress, warpaint etc?

Charistoph
07-03-2012, 15:31
But since you noticed Apache: wouldn't it be cool(er) to model Beastmen models like Native Americans, with feathered headdress, warpaint etc?

Um, Apaches are the local Native American tribes of southern Arizona (quite a few tribes of them, actually, including the Chiricahua from which Cochise came and the Bedonkohe which Geronimo belonged). Feathered headdress is more Plains, if I remember correctly. And since Lizardmen are basically the Incan/Aztec/Mayan army...

Lafkak
07-03-2012, 15:36
I know this may not have crossed your mind, but consider using Wood Elves as "counts as" or as a source for conversion. They have a very guerilla aesthetic (and gameplay, but you wanted the rules to be Beastment) style and you could think up some awesome fluff for them. Eternal Guard could pass as Bestigors, Treeman as a Ghorgon, Treekin as Minotaurs, Dryads as regular Gors and you could incorporate Skinks as ungors (it's easily imagined that desert dwellers would have tamed lizards as pets). Paint up the trees in a dessicated Joshua Tree style and it could be awesome. A Wood Elf clan trying to survive whose forest has been razed? I'd love to see that.

Charistoph
07-03-2012, 17:46
If I go with the Lizard Beasts route, I considered using the Treekin as Minotaurs, but with a creosote or palo verde scheme. The alternative would be the Tomb Scorpion. The lizards would be painted Gila style for sure (even if I just go with the Lizardmen army).

Now if I could manage a saguaro for a Doom/Gorebull...

SotF
08-03-2012, 01:26
For other creature options, there are a lot of egyptian based models that would work pretty well with desert creatures

Charistoph
08-03-2012, 03:09
Like the Tomb Scorpion? That could work, but as what? Spawn are spawn, so don't really need to be themed. Scorpions can't throw, so Cygor is out, there aren't enough arms to be a Ghorgon, and a Giant would be just silly.

What bases are the Scorpion and Razordon on, anyway?