PDA

View Full Version : 8th ed books

Lance Tankmen
07-03-2012, 06:13
maybe its already been posted some where but is every one at some point getting updated?

Sexiest_hero
07-03-2012, 06:38
Hopefully. I think GW will do right this time.

Tayrod
07-03-2012, 11:28
Eventually? Yes. Before 9th? Only time will tell

The bearded one
07-03-2012, 13:06
I doubt they'll update all 15, but if they keep up the pace they will definately do a fair number of them.

DaemonReign
07-03-2012, 15:14
There's always hope.
By-and-large it mostly seems like a 'good thing' that they focus on projects where the Design Studio is feeling a little bit of enthusiasm. I can imagine no worse turn-off than having waited for ages for a new book only the find (when you finally get it) that it's been written by people who weren't fully invested into it with their hearts and minds.

On the other hand, there are a couple of really old books where I just feel GW should pull their resources together and 'man-up' even if the Designer's at large feel that the race is 'meh' or 'boring' or whatever. Wood Elves ought to get an update just for 'long time served'. Dwarves and Brets tigh in for a shared second place IMO.
Beyond that it'd suffice to update 'most of the Army Books'. While All of them would of course be optimal.
And I don't want to think about a 9th Edition because I am positive we're currently experiencing the peak of WHFB and it's only gonna be downhill from here. :)

IcedCrow
07-03-2012, 15:53
Mathematically its possible. Mathematically editions last about five years before they get changed over. There is about three releases a year for new books, which means fifteen books on average should be released in the lifespan of 8th.

However, towards the end of the lifespan of 8th (the last year or so) the last few books tend to be written with the next edition in mind...

I3uLLioN
07-03-2012, 16:09
I hope that 8th stays around for longer to be honest... Leaving room for all the books to be updated and more expansions to be added. An 8.5 edition might be a better idea just to smooth out a few things. 8th to my mind is the best edition yet.

IcedCrow
07-03-2012, 16:19
9th edition will likely be what 7th was for 6th (a 6.5).

FashaTheDog
07-03-2012, 16:35
We can expect Daemons, Chaos Warriors, Skaven, High Elves, Empire, Beastmen, Lizardmen, and Dark Elves to get new books. Somewhere near the end of 8th, new Dwarf book written by Cruddance (the guy who did the Tyranid Codex) with half formed ideas of 9th that pan out to not work well with either 8th or 9th is a good possibility so that more new entries can be added to every Dwarf player's Book of Grudges because kicking the little guy while he's down is fun (little as in priority, not height). Bretonnians and Wood Elves are probably already scheduled for a late 9th edition release, after they release 9th edition books for all the other armies.

DarKolia
07-03-2012, 17:21
Bretonnians and Wood Elves are probably already scheduled for a late 9th edition release, after they release 9th edition books for all the other armies.

:D:D:D
Why Am I putting smileys?!
That's the armies I play!
:cries::cries::cries:

The bearded one
07-03-2012, 17:32
Pha, who cares about them? My precious dwarfs :cry ! But if it were definitive than I suppose it's better than thinking "they might be up soon!" for years. :p

Lorcryst
07-03-2012, 19:10
We can expect Daemons, Chaos Warriors, Skaven, High Elves, Empire, Beastmen, Lizardmen, and Dark Elves to get new books. Somewhere near the end of 8th, new Dwarf book written by Cruddance (the guy who did the Tyranid Codex) with half formed ideas of 9th that pan out to not work well with either 8th or 9th is a good possibility so that more new entries can be added to every Dwarf player's Book of Grudges because kicking the little guy while he's down is fun (little as in priority, not height). Bretonnians and Wood Elves are probably already scheduled for a late 9th edition release, after they release 9th edition books for all the other armies.

Dunno if that was sarcasm or not, but I'm fairly certain that at least Skaven and Beastmen won't be redone in 8th (they were written with 8th ed rules in mind), and Daemons and High Elves have recieved their "trademark" 8th ed Spell Cards already, so out of your list that leaves Empire (rumoured for April/May), Chaos Warriors (rumoured for Q4 2012), Lizardmen and Dark Elves ...

And I really think that Wood Elves and Bretonnia need an update to be viable in 8th ed ...

Dwarves, while being dated, still work, and even had a few new things working for them (like the max charge range of 15" instead of 6").

tmarichards
07-03-2012, 19:27
Skaven, Beasts, OK, O&G and TK are all the least likely to be redone.

Wood Elves, Dwarfs and Brets "should" be the next ones to get an update just by merit of being the older books, but to be honest I'd rather see Empire, Dark Elves and Warriors all get redone before them as I think there are issues to do with them that are worse for the game than Wood Elves, who don't really need a new book as much as a different mindset and maybe a brief errata to update a few rules.

wizuriel
07-03-2012, 20:37
Seriously what was the last edition that GW managed to release an army book for each army before changing the edition?

It is kind of sad imo that WoC need/will get an update before wood elves because they are more popular and abusable. Wood elves are pretty unplayable in the new edition.

FashaTheDog
07-03-2012, 20:39
Dunno if that was sarcasm or not...

No sarcasm there at all. Nope, none, nada, zilch, zippo, zero. It was entirely devoid of any bitter derision or irony in any form. Just a straight and simple statement of fact presented in a serious manner so as not to elicit any potential thoughts regarding any lack of sincerity in the statement made. Well...maybe a little. Just a bit. A wee bit. Ok, perhaps a more than that...but not much. Just a dash for flavor...and maybe some more for good measure. Oh, alright, you twisted my arm; there was more sarcasm in that post than most forums will ever see in their life time.

Seriously what was the last edition that GW managed to release an army book for each army before changing the edition?

I know! 3rd edition!

tmarichards
07-03-2012, 20:48
Wood elves are pretty unplayable in the new edition.

This is exactly what I mean about Wood Elves needing a new attitude instead of a new book. If you listen to what most people say, then Wood Elves are terrible, unplayable, cannot compete at all.

Then, if you talk to Wood Elf players who've actually put the effort into learning how to play properly with the book, most of us are actually fairly sanguine about Wood Elves in 8th edition. Sure we're not the once of the power armies, and have a lot of uphill match-ups, but a lot of people actually quite like using an army that means you have to be good at the game in order to win.

Lord Inquisitor
07-03-2012, 20:57
Indeed, I've seen Wood Elves get best general at a GT I went to recently. So they're far from "unplayable" but there's no question that they're a challenge to play with too. I'd say they're at the bottom of the power scale right now, but not quite a hopeless proposition at all.

wizuriel
07-03-2012, 21:01
This is exactly what I mean about Wood Elves needing a new attitude instead of a new book. If you listen to what most people say, then Wood Elves are terrible, unplayable, cannot compete at all.

Then, if you talk to Wood Elf players who've actually put the effort into learning how to play properly with the book, most of us are actually fairly sanguine about Wood Elves in 8th edition. Sure we're not the once of the power armies, and have a lot of uphill match-ups, but a lot of people actually quite like using an army that means you have to be good at the game in order to win.

I should clarify a bit that I don't consider pretty unplayable the same as can't work. It is just the book and play style of the army really doesn't work with 8th edition. Now you can play the army with ranked units with shooting support (and pretend you're not a high elf clone), but who picked up wood elves for that? Though if GW does a book I'm sure they will fix the wood elf issue the same way that beastmen are totally not just brown orcs right now.

Manling
08-03-2012, 07:06
Brets dont need a new book to be competive they are one of the best armies out there now. Because they are simple to use ad have great lores to draw on

Why
08-03-2012, 23:20
I am a wood elf player they are the only army I use , I take them to tournaments before my skaven.

I can tell you that wood elves need some help, but really not a new book, honestly one page in a White dwarf could fix the whole problem and then people wouldn't have to worry about us whiny wood elves. I find it really disheartening to know this and know that if the game designers actually play the game they would figure this out too, and yet they do nothing. Come on 1 page, give us something to hang onto GW:mad::mad::mad:

I would like to see 8th stick around because it is a good edition even if it has a feeewwwww problems;)

The bearded one
08-03-2012, 23:58
Brets dont need a new book to be competive they are one of the best armies out there now.

I'm sorry, what?

Manling
09-03-2012, 00:23
Brets are one of the best armies out there now they dont really need one but an update would be nice. Again not a priority right now.

Wood Elves and well all the Elves need an overhaul to balance them out.

DareX2
09-03-2012, 00:41
I can tell you that wood elves need some help, but really not a new book, honestly one page in a White dwarf could fix the whole problem and then people wouldn't have to worry about us whiny wood elves

One page will readjust the point cost for the whole army, fix peoples' concerns about Forest Spirit ward saves, redistribute Glade Guard bows to all bow users, change the lores hero-level wizards have access to, change BSB restrictions, change the Lore of Athel Loren to be more in line with recent lores, stop Wood Elves from getting eaten by woods, fix the inherent problems with a skirmish heavy army in a horde-heavy system, rectify problems with the performance (due to a variety of factors) of certain units, rework spites, kindreds, and magic items, etc.?

That the Wood Elf army is playable doesn't mean there isn't a lot of work to be done in giving it the 8th edition treatment.

Brets are one of the best armies out there now they dont really need one but an update would be nice. Again not a priority right now.

They aren't that bad off. They're a far cry from "one of the best."

The bearded one
09-03-2012, 00:51
Bretonnia "one of the best"? We're talking about the same Bretonnia right? The one from 2004?

They have some nice stuff (trebuchets) and nifty tricks (heroic killing blow lord) but by virtue of being based around initiative 3 cavalry they drop severely in the ranking. They're priced and written decently enough to make them stand the test of time without becoming unplayable.

DarKolia
09-03-2012, 22:00
I am a wood elf player they are the only army I use , I take them to tournaments before my skaven.

I can tell you that wood elves need some help, but really not a new book, honestly one page in a White dwarf could fix the whole problem and then people wouldn't have to worry about us whiny wood elves. I find it really disheartening to know this and know that if the game designers actually play the game they would figure this out too, and yet they do nothing. Come on 1 page, give us something to hang onto GW:mad::mad::mad:

I would like to see 8th stick around because it is a good edition even if it has a feeewwwww problems;)

Just changing the errata to allow scout to use glade guard bow seems to be beyond GW reach...
:(

DarK

The bearded one
09-03-2012, 22:04
That single fact is what makes glade guard scouts so overwhelmingly useless. If they had their gladeguard bows they'd be great, even for the exorbitant cost.

kargie
09-03-2012, 22:07

They actually pulled off that feat in 6th--and they managed to add Ogres and do Dwarfs TWICE in that edition.

I don't think they ever plan on doing that again.

wizuriel
10-03-2012, 17:15
They actually pulled off that feat in 6th--and they managed to add Ogres and do Dwarfs TWICE in that edition.

I don't think they ever plan on doing that again.

Chaos Dwarfs did not get a real 6th edition book.

RanaldLoec
10-03-2012, 18:17
I can here my woodelves sad lament haunting the woods of the old world about their army book.

Lucky Karl Franz is throwing a full blown knees up shin dig as his new book is just around the corner.

And

Sigvald the magnificent is doing inhuman, unspeakable, near impossible acrobatic things at the rumours of a new chaos warriors book.

So my Woodelves just wait patiently for unit caps to disappear and Kindreds to reform.

Grey Seer Kwokka
11-03-2012, 00:17

Chaos Dwarfs were discontinued by the end of 6th edition; why would they?

Besides, since when did Chaos Dwarfs count?

Manling
11-03-2012, 09:10
Bretonnia "one of the best"? We're talking about the same Bretonnia right? The one from 2004?

They have some nice stuff (trebuchets) and nifty tricks (heroic killing blow lord) but by virtue of being based around initiative 3 cavalry they drop severely in the ranking. They're priced and written decently enough to make them stand the test of time without becoming unplayable.

Nah were talking about the Bretonnia from 1499 bro

Brets hit you hard and fast and have the resiliance to withstand the bulk of attacks with the 2+ armor saves and the scaling ward. not to mention the moblity and the ability to easily double or triple charge one unit of infantry

Im not saying they're perfect im just saying that they are super competitive. I wouldnt mind an update where we got more infantry options like instead of M@A we also got Yeomen infantry or even a unit of Yeoman Wardens that could infiltrate. I also wouldnt mind newer rules for Grail knights like a better ward and better stats i mean they're essentially the Brettonia Demigods who are soo blessed by the lady as to merit an actual following of people to wrship them.

Satan
11-03-2012, 09:26
I used to be a wood elf player like you, but then I took one too many empire sniper mortar shots to the farthest edge of my units base and died horribly in 3 turns. Again.

SkawtheFalconer
11-03-2012, 11:23
Yes, but when our Treeman learns the ability to throw stones we'll be able to return the favour with impunity! Maybe.

Von Wibble
11-03-2012, 11:57
One page will readjust the point cost for the whole army, fix peoples' concerns about Forest Spirit ward saves, redistribute Glade Guard bows to all bow users, change the lores hero-level wizards have access to, change BSB restrictions, change the Lore of Athel Loren to be more in line with recent lores, stop Wood Elves from getting eaten by woods, fix the inherent problems with a skirmish heavy army in a horde-heavy system, rectify problems with the performance (due to a variety of factors) of certain units, rework spites, kindreds, and magic items, etc.?

Sure it will. The only problem is that the font will be really really small

In fairness, your last 2 things listed can be fixed (as a quick fix, mind) with points reductions. Leave magic items, kindreds and spites for now, and you could fit the rest into a short white dwarf article.

Satan
11-03-2012, 12:24
Sure it will. The only problem is that the font will be really really small

In fairness, your last 2 things listed can be fixed (as a quick fix, mind) with points reductions. Leave magic items, kindreds and spites for now, and you could fit the rest into a short white dwarf article.

Just removing the silly "lose 1 attack when charging" rule for the wild riders (and upping their base attacks to 2) would be an essential, simple and vast improvement for the army.

Daniel36
11-03-2012, 12:40
There's always hope.
By-and-large it mostly seems like a 'good thing' that they focus on projects where the Design Studio is feeling a little bit of enthusiasm. I can imagine no worse turn-off than having waited for ages for a new book only the find (when you finally get it) that it's been written by people who weren't fully invested into it with their hearts and minds.

Honestly though, how can you have that job when you can't fully invest your heart and mind into every and each army?

If I was a rulebook / background story writer, I wouldn't care at all which army I would be given. I would love writing ALL of them, even if I have my favourites. I would do my utmost and I would give my all to make it the best bleeding army book that particular army has ever seen, and I would love doing it too!! Regardless of the army... regardless.

DaemonReign
11-03-2012, 13:51
Honestly though, how can you have that job when you can't fully invest your heart and mind into every and each army?
If I was a rulebook / background story writer, I wouldn't care at all which army I would be given. I would love writing ALL of them, even if I have my favourites. I would do my utmost and I would give my all to make it the best bleeding army book that particular army has ever seen, and I would love doing it too!! Regardless of the army... regardless.

So would I! :)
But regardless of the ambition to do an equal job in each and every case I'm just as sure that you (or I, or Anyone) would do a more or less 'good' job. That's just human nature. Especially in a mythos like ours I don't want to even imagine how mental you'd have to be in order to be equally emerged in the fluff (for example) from the perspective of all 15 races. Writing an army book that carries on the tradition of the race, creates recognition with present players and makes them feel 'at home', is not just a matter of wanting to do a good job.

I do agree with you though, as I said in my post as well: When it comes to 2-3 Armies out there (Wood Elves primarily) I actually think they 'should' force themselves into making a broad update. For the rest of the Armies though, I'd rather wait until they get a flash of inspiration - and that certainly goes for 'my own' Armies most of all (well, OnG and VC got theirs already so.. haha)

Daniel36
11-03-2012, 14:26
For the rest of the Armies though, I'd rather wait until they get a flash of inspiration

In which case I would continue to argue that, even if they can't fully invest themselves, at least take some inspiration from the fans. There are so many people, especially here on Warseer, with very good ideas towards updating army books, for stats and rules, for background information, for new units... Why aren't they USING that?

logan054
11-03-2012, 14:40
I hope that 8th stays around for longer to be honest... Leaving room for all the books to be updated and more expansions to be added. An 8.5 edition might be a better idea just to smooth out a few things. 8th to my mind is the best edition yet.

I think thats a safe bet, the massive updates seem to be every other edition.

DareX2
11-03-2012, 15:00

Thinking about it further, you do touch on an interesting point: why couldn't there be quick and dirty list amendments in White Dwarf for armies that whose new book are far off? Simple things like points adjustments and minor rules tweaks would at least be throwing a bone to armies who are still stuck with a 6th ed book.

Spider-pope
11-03-2012, 15:44
OK, O&G and TK are all the least likely to be redone.

Surely they, along with Vampire Counts, are the only armies to be 100% guaranteed to get an 8th edition book, because well, they've already gotten an 8th edition book.

spagg
11-03-2012, 15:46
Thinking about it further, you do touch on an interesting point: why couldn't there be quick and dirty list amendments in White Dwarf for armies that whose new book are far off? Simple things like points adjustments and minor rules tweaks would at least be throwing a bone to armies who are still stuck with a 6th ed book.

I agree. It would be great to be able to play games with army books at least tweaked for 8th edition. This would make the wait a bit easier.

theshoveller
11-03-2012, 16:00
Just removing the silly "lose 1 attack when charging" rule for the wild riders (and upping their base attacks to 2) would be an essential, simple and vast improvement for the army.
I think standardising all the daft "rule x does not apply in situation y" elements of the book would do the Wood Elves a power of good.

Gorbad Ironclaw
11-03-2012, 16:41

Because it will still require someone(and more than one person) to sit down, work on the army list, run testing, etc. I'm guessing that the resources isn't considered well spent doing that. Not to mention that GW doesn't like to sell books where the content isn't actually the rules you need to use. They have done a few WD codex in recent times, like the Sisters of Battle list and I don't think they have been well received at all.

kargie
11-03-2012, 16:58

Chaos Dwarfs have NEVER had an army book. They had a collection of white dwarf articles, a section in ravening hordes, and now a FW list. While ravening hordes suggested they might have been getting a real book in the future, they have never been a fully supported army. That's not to say I wouldn't like them to. . . I'm rather fond of the old guys.

The Odor
11-03-2012, 16:58
To my knowledge the reason the SoB WD codex was so badly recieved was because it was nerfed so hard it became unplayable in higher points matches. The only other WD rules I know anything about is the Terrorgheist which seemed to work okay.

DaemonReign
11-03-2012, 18:11
In which case I would continue to argue that, even if they can't fully invest themselves, at least take some inspiration from the fans. There are so many people, especially here on Warseer, with very good ideas towards updating army books, for stats and rules, for background information, for new units... Why aren't they USING that?

From what I've seen calling most of such 'ideas' good would be an exaggeration. I'd say we should be happy (as a community) that GW listens to us as little as they appear to do. Even with the desire to do a good job, writing up a good Army Book is not easy. Anyone can write a wishlist for their fav-army.
Secondly: Can you even imagine the ****storm GW would produce if they gave their vast 'fanbase' the impression that it was actually worthwhile to 'tell them what to do'? Hell.. Something like that could prove to be their undoing. Not only would they get swamped with every opinion from high and low - their actual products would be subject to double the scrutiny (whining) that is currently the case, as people wouldn't have the 'mythos' of some obscure GamesDev to fall back on, but instead they'd know that whatever 'godawfull' change that just occured in the last AB was the cause of some other grouping of players.

The way GW does things is most likely for the best. Not because GW is beyond reproach - but they wouldn't be doing it this way otherwise. And I mean this both in terms of the pure business perspective and keeping the integrity of the Game intact.

We as participants can always 'vote' with out wallets, our choices of models and even whether to play this Game or other similar games.
But things like whether 3++ Chosen should be possible, or whether not there should be spells that allow no saves - that's simply not matters suitable for democratic decision. Nor are new Army Books.

DareX2
11-03-2012, 19:06
I'd say we should be happy (as a community) that GW listens to us as little as they appear to do.

Absolute true. I'll make the comparison to video games, where design by committee (or community, as the case may be) is a terrible practice and has led to the death of a few games. There is a significant difference between playing a game and making one, and very few people are able to bridge that gap with expertise. Ideas that sound good when bandied about in a forum can end up being worse than the initial rules.

I also agree that I've seen several ideas - and had several myself - that were just awful. It's just too easy to think that you can fix the problem yourself; hence the various comp systems, which are received with mixed views.

zak
11-03-2012, 23:51
I don't see Brettonians or Woodelves getting a book for atleast 18 months (sometime after summer 2013). I don't think all of the books will be updated by 9th edition, which will certainly arrive on date as that's where GW make the money.

Chaos Dwarves certainly did have an army book back in 5th edition. Probably still have it somewhere. I don't think we will see a 2nd though....which is a shame.

Charistoph
12-03-2012, 21:33
From what I've seen calling most of such 'ideas' good would be an exaggeration. I'd say we should be happy (as a community) that GW listens to us as little as they appear to do. Even with the desire to do a good job, writing up a good Army Book is not easy. Anyone can write a wishlist for their fav-army.
Secondly: Can you even imagine the ****storm GW would produce if they gave their vast 'fanbase' the impression that it was actually worthwhile to 'tell them what to do'? Hell.. Something like that could prove to be their undoing. Not only would they get swamped with every opinion from high and low - their actual products would be subject to double the scrutiny (whining) that is currently the case, as people wouldn't have the 'mythos' of some obscure GamesDev to fall back on, but instead they'd know that whatever 'godawfull' change that just occured in the last AB was the cause of some other grouping of players.

I have 3 words what happens to a game when developer listens to EVERY suggestion that comes in: World of Warcraft. After all, how many of their features were originally mods and independent apps?

The bearded one
13-03-2012, 03:52
So Orcs wouldn't be brutal slaughterers anymore, just ... "misunderstood" :p

Echunia
13-03-2012, 09:50
I should clarify a bit that I don't consider pretty unplayable the same as can't work. It is just the book and play style of the army really doesn't work with 8th edition. Now you can play the army with ranked units with shooting support (and pretend you're not a high elf clone), but who picked up wood elves for that? Though if GW does a book I'm sure they will fix the wood elf issue the same way that beastmen are totally not just brown orcs right now.

Well, I really don't agree with this statement. The wood elf armies I've seen that are competitive feel very geurilla-warfare to me. What ranked unit would you use? Treekin are not as good as people would have you believe.
The good lists I've seen are based around lots of glade guards, 2 eagles, 5 * 2 way watchers and 2 or 3 units of dryads. Quite frankly, you can't get more shooty/flee-y than that. This notion of you needing ranked infantry is pretty bogus tbh.

shelfunit.
13-03-2012, 10:06
Every army got a new book for 6th edition basically because it was a "reinvention" of the warhammer army selection system - and the fact that 6th edition stayed around for 6 years - the longest any edition of warhammer has ever stayed in print (so far). Every other edition has generally averaged about 4 years between editions (4th to 5th and 7th to 8th exactly 4 years). So far 8th edition has been around for 1 and a half years and has had 4 books (O&Gs, Ogres, TKs and VCs) released at an approximate rate of 3 books a year - so in order to get all the books released this edition, it will have to last at least 5 years.

The Odor
13-03-2012, 11:29
I hope 8:th ed stays for at least 5 years. Sure it got a few negatives BUT as a whole I think it's quite the system.

DaemonReign
13-03-2012, 13:47
I hope 8:th ed stays for at least 5 years. Sure it got a few negatives BUT as a whole I think it's quite the system.

Agreed. They're not gonna top this Edition unless they do exactly what I tell them to... :angel:

DarKolia
17-03-2012, 11:36

Hi

What are you speaking about? You must be dreaming!... That way WD would be worth buying!
Sincerely (sorry),

Dark
Ps: quitting the forum to get a (sad) look at my old gobbledigook collection in old (and only true) WD

kenotic
17-03-2012, 12:28
I used to be a wood elf player like you, but then I took one too many empire sniper mortar shots to the farthest edge of my units base and died horribly in 3 turns. Again.

"I used to be a wood elf player like you, until I took an arrow to the knee.":D

someone2040
17-03-2012, 12:45
Every army got a new book for 6th edition basically because it was a "reinvention" of the warhammer army selection system - and the fact that 6th edition stayed around for 6 years - the longest any edition of warhammer has ever stayed in print (so far). Every other edition has generally averaged about 4 years between editions (4th to 5th and 7th to 8th exactly 4 years). So far 8th edition has been around for 1 and a half years and has had 4 books (O&Gs, Ogres, TKs and VCs) released at an approximate rate of 3 books a year - so in order to get all the books released this edition, it will have to last at least 5 years.
Technically speaking, I don't consider 6th edition to be a 'complete' edition due to the fact that GW dropped 2 armies in that edition (While picking up Ogre Kingdoms).
Chaos Dwarfs and Dogs of War did not receive an official army book in 6th edition. Now Chaos Dwarfs lie in the grey area that their previous book was a collection of White Dwarf articles, but Dogs of War certainly had an official army book in 5th edition, and only got a Chronicles update for 6th edition.
So 6th certainly has done one of the best jobs so far, but certainly not everything got an update.

But given the way GW works these days with a 'fresh' new edition, and then a rules patch edition. I don't think it is so important to do every book each edition, especially since the army books are forwards compatable to the new editions with errata and FAQ.

Tayrod
19-03-2012, 11:59
To my knowledge the reason the SoB WD codex was so badly recieved was because it was nerfed so hard it became unplayable in higher points matches. The only other WD rules I know anything about is the Terrorgheist which seemed to work okay.

Back in the old days (6th edition) Dark elves used to really suffer. It got so bad that GW started to take notice, and a "errata" of sorts was posted in White dwarf. It helped alot, and changed alot of basic stuff, as well as advanced stuff - including (but not limited to) weapon options, standard equipment (Executioners went from LA to HA), points costs (DE warriors dropped by 2 points) and rule wording (word of pain, methinks).

They also did a "complete" Lizardmen armybook in WD (circa 1999 I think). Worked out great. I used it for years.

Manling
19-03-2012, 19:14
Technically speaking, I don't consider 6th edition to be a 'complete' edition due to the fact that GW dropped 2 armies in that edition (While picking up Ogre Kingdoms).
Chaos Dwarfs and Dogs of War did not receive an official army book in 6th edition. Now Chaos Dwarfs lie in the grey area that their previous book was a collection of White Dwarf articles, but Dogs of War certainly had an official army book in 5th edition, and only got a Chronicles update for 6th edition.
So 6th certainly has done one of the best jobs so far, but certainly not everything got an update.

But given the way GW works these days with a 'fresh' new edition, and then a rules patch edition. I don't think it is so important to do every book each edition, especially since the army books are forwards compatable to the new editions with errata and FAQ.

basically two armies that dont really have a place in Warhammer other than as niche armies get dropped in an edition and you dont consider an edition?

But besides that i consider 6th Edition one of the best editions of WFB and now we have 8th which got some things right and some wrong. I like the hordes and the magic for the most part but the scaling is a little off. There are good things as a whole and just tweaks need to be done to magic items and magic in general.

Gop
26-03-2012, 00:12
8th is pretty good IMO but there are quite a few things that could be fixed but weren't. Magic mixing with older characters is one. Teclis casting dwellers anyone? Teclis casting any damn big spell in fact. And there are other examples of mismatches - old books clashing with 8th.

The bearded one
26-03-2012, 09:50
Teclis casting dwellers anyone? Teclis casting any damn big spell in fact.

Do note he still has to make the castingvalue.