PDA

View Full Version : Which is better for a beginner? HE or Chaos?

cl1668
26-04-2006, 14:35
After fooling around for a few months, i finally decided in getting serious about this game.

I've 2~3 models painted which are silver helms, and 1 model painted for chaos.

Rule-wise and game-wise, which one is better for a beginner?

prince olthin
26-04-2006, 15:19
I would really chose the army that you LIKE more. HE are harder to play with and chaos are easier to play with yes but if you chose an army just cose it's easy to play with and don't think about the fluff or models then you are probably going to get bored with the army.

Keller
26-04-2006, 15:48
Quite honestly, it really doesn't matter. The armies play very different, but if you are just starting, its just a matter of which way you learn to play first. If you played one and moved to the other, you might have some troubles since you wouldn't be able to do what you are used to.

Generally speaking, elves are fragile and require more tactics to win, but are more rewarding. Are they hard? Not really, you just have to appriciate their strengths and weaknesses. Chaos, on the other hand, is much tougher, able to sustain hits easier. For the most part, Chaos units are resilient and have a good chance to hold combat against any opponent. The don't have near the tactical flexibility of the elves though, so I find that they get a bit boring and often a no-brainer.

Just collect whichever army you like the best. You can learn to play either just as easily as the other. What is really important is that you are interested in the concept of the army, the look of the models, and the fluff of the race. These things will be what really make you stick to the hobby, not how it plays; especially since so much of this hobby takes place off the gaming table.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
26-04-2006, 15:51
Which models did you enjoy painting more? Do you like good guys or bad guys? Are terms "good" and "bad" too black and white for you? Etc. As Olthin said, it's more important to pick the army you like more.

Chaos isn't as straightforward as most people make it out to be. Sure they have strong troops but they're also few in number and a bit of subtlety is required..they're a ruff and tuff elite army with a lot of variety.

High Elves are also an elite army although they're on the fragile (some say unplayable) side with littlein the way of armor for their foot troops and nothing better than T3 (which is "average" but means they die easily). To compensate, in theory, they have speed (M5, core cavalry) , dicipline (ld8+), firepower (repeater bolt throwers) and superior magic.

I'd recommend chaos, but that's because of my own personal bias toward tough-nut bad guys. It's really your choice. Would you go online and ask a bunch of strangers which of your prospective chicks you should go out with (the investment of time, money and sanity is comparable)?

cl1668
26-04-2006, 17:37
Thks for the replies!
But isn't chaos also an elite army?

I found that both of these 2 faction's models appeals to me.
The graceful silverhelm knights and tough+mean chaos knights especially.
The idea of leading little but elite army appeals to me also.

Gupp
26-04-2006, 18:04
My friends 1st army was high elves, and as long as you get the mindset of the army, its very good.
You just have to realize that one on one, except cersus perhaps goblins or something, a unit of HE infantry will almost always loose. You need to master the combined charge.

BloodiedSword
26-04-2006, 19:32
The only thing I'd suggest for the first army would be -

Don't take a low Leadership army. That means Beasts of Chaos, Orcs and Gobbos and Lizardman Skink armies are probably bad choices, Empire is not so great, whilst most of the other armies are fine and Vampire Counts and Khemri are great to learn to play with.

Elves need a little more finesse to deal with the global T3 on expensive troops, but make up for it with excellent Leadership (barring unlucky I@C rolls).

shadowprince
27-04-2006, 00:09
Chaos is a much easier to start with, they are both elite armies, but High elfs are a fragile one, that requires a lot of playing time and patience, Chaos right now has more options. While chaos right now is an elite army you can really go any style with it. Also they all have high saves S and T. Not to say that HE are weak as they are my favorite army, just chaos is an easier army to learn how to play with, you can start winning from the get go as your troops do a lot of the work for you. High elfs you will proabably win maby 20% of your game sin the first few months.

summary if you want an army that can win from the get go, probably go chaos

ROCKY
27-04-2006, 18:41
Highelves= Tactics+heavy magic+nice cav
Chaos= one of the best infantry (especially khorne or nurgle), VERY expensive, less amount of models (usually), marauders, beastmen, daemons, and excellent choices for conversions.
As mentioned earlier by my fellow Warseer members, chaos is a very good starting army as it is easier to coordinate and you have TONS of options for your army which you can pick to develop strategies. High elves (at least most of the ones I have encountered rely on a crap load of magic, cav, and eagles, and sometimes boltthrowers and swordmasters).