PDA

View Full Version : Gobo G. Shammy on Arachnarok= way too vulnerable.

Akusho6
07-03-2012, 21:19
I am building my first Arachnarok spider and wish for him to be the mount of a Goblin Great Shaman. I have a problem with this decision only because it seems that ANY direct hit from a Cannon or rock lobber will instant kill him. I realize everyone else (heros/ lords) has this problem already, but am having a hard time imagining why anyone would put a great shaman on this huge spider if it could so-easily be obliterated when it costs around 505 points (lv 4 shaman with catchweb shrine).
The 8 gobo crew members are not separate from the spider itself, so no "look out sir" rules would apply.
Can I have a veteran player re-assure me on this please as I have only around 8 games under my belt and not all with O&G.

theunwantedbeing
07-03-2012, 21:41
Sorry, thats how ridden monsters work when hit by templates.
Although, the stone thrower hits do randomise the higher strength hit and only that one does multiple wounds.

Kalandros
07-03-2012, 21:48
Talisman of Preservation and hope - or just play it against armies without long-range ez-mode - avoid Empire, Dwarfs, Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs.. that's about it.

Ender Shadowkin
07-03-2012, 22:01
cannons and warp lightning cannons are worse actually, as they will hit both rider and mount.

Odds are you'll survive a couple shots, you just need to get it across the board ASAP, also give them more then one thing they will want to shoot, such as another arachnaroc.

if your idea of fun is giant spiders and thunderstomping , I would say go for it.

note loosing the shaman does not mean the monster is gone, also you will have lore master so you won't need to be lvl 4...

Spiney Norman
07-03-2012, 22:20
In fairness whenever you bring a monster the size of an arachnarok against an army with access to cannons you are basically entering a contest to see if you can get the beastie across the board before the cannon blows it to bits, by adding a shaman to the top you are essentially just placing a higher wager on your ability to win that contest.

I'm not sure the talisman of preservation is really needed, you Should be able to get your spider into combat by turn two through a combination of moving as quick as you can and hand of gork so you might be one just with a one use item if you're tight on pts

AMWOOD co
08-03-2012, 04:57
I'm not sure the talisman of preservation is really needed, you Should be able to get your spider into combat by turn two through a combination of moving as quick as you can and hand of gork so you might be one just with a one use item if you're tight on pts

I have to ask, how big of a game do you play? The Arachnarok and rider with Loremaster starts at 475 pts (lvl 3, no items, catchweb shrine), and you are proposing that the use of the Big Waaagh! spell Hand of Gork will guarantee he makes it. The problem with this is that the goblin great shaman doesn't get Big Waaagh! spells. You would need 3 combined wizard levels to get that spell at least 67% of the time (actual odds are 13 in 18), and that sets you back another 165 points whether in heroes or lords, minimum, with no gear.

Akusho6
08-03-2012, 19:04
I have to ask, how big of a game do you play? The Arachnarok and rider with Loremaster starts at 475 pts (lvl 3, no items, catchweb shrine), and you are proposing that the use of the Big Waaagh! spell Hand of Gork will guarantee he makes it. The problem with this is that the goblin great shaman doesn't get Big Waaagh! spells. You would need 3 combined wizard levels to get that spell at least 67% of the time (actual odds are 13 in 18), and that sets you back another 165 points whether in heroes or lords, minimum, with no gear.

The last games I have played have been 3k against TK. He likes to use screaming skull catapults due to me loving Goblins (with low ld)

I do not have a single Orc Shammy in my collection atm however as I absolutely LOVE the free mushies that night goblin shamans get with each cast (I know the goblin on the spider does not get mushrooms)

Thank you everyone for your answers. I figured there was nothing I was missing in the rules, was just Hoping. heh.
My plan originally was to run 1 bare arach as a Rare choice and my Gobo Lord on another. I have to decide which to build first and wanted the shammy as my main opponet, being TK makes sure he owns every magic phase so he can res his troops. You are right, with the large movement of the spider, theer is no reason why I shouldnt be able to get him into combat around the third turn, with or without Waagh, unless of course a cannonball finds him. = ) I will finish building him tonight, and I think I will go with the tali of pres.